NBA's Overt Technical Fouls. Will it hurt the Game?

Dumb rule. It's going to make the game longer. Games are going to be a foul shooting contest now and players we pay to watch are going to be handcuffed because they can't speak out or be emotional in the game. Plus these blind and stupid refs will end up whistling ridiculous ticky tack things and kill the flow of the game. I think it's stupid because it gives more power to these refs who we all know are crooks.

It's the fact that refs are looking for a reaction like in that Jermaine O'Neal clip that's gonna piss me off. If refs were doing their job and heading back up the court they wouldn't even have seen his reaction. Refs have and will be basically daring players to say/do something so they can T' up someone. That's the BS part. Now when guys like Kobe, Duncan, Nash, most Celtics, most European players go ape stuff stupid and run towards the ref when they get a bad call, I'm all for that.

It's the fact that refs are looking for a reaction like in that Jermaine O'Neal clip that's gonna piss me off. If refs were doing their job and heading back up the court they wouldn't even have seen his reaction. Refs have and will be basically daring players to say/do something so they can T' up someone. That's the BS part. Now when guys like Kobe, Duncan, Nash, most Celtics, most European players go ape stuff stupid and run towards the ref when they get a bad call, I'm all for that.

I agree it takes so much emotion out of the game. Getting t'd up for looks or voicing your opinion? C'mon
30t6p3b.gif
Players have a right to question calls & go A LITTLE over the top. Sports is about emotion... & this will no doubt take away from that.

I can understand giving a technical if a player waives off an oficial or screams at them over the top... But if the NBA officials are giving out technicals for something like Jerminane O'Neal did, Its going to hurt the game.

I agree it takes so much emotion out of the game. Getting t'd up for looks or voicing your opinion? C'mon
30t6p3b.gif
Players have a right to question calls & go A LITTLE over the top. Sports is about emotion... & this will no doubt take away from that.

I can understand giving a technical if a player waives off an oficial or screams at them over the top... But if the NBA officials are giving out technicals for something like Jerminane O'Neal did, Its going to hurt the game.

BigPUNoy:
It's the fact that refs are looking for a reaction like in that Jermaine O'Neal clip that's gonna piss me off. If refs were doing their job and heading back up the court they wouldn't even have seen his reaction.
Wait, so when a ref doesn't go back up the court, there's something wrong... but when the basketball players do the same thing, there's no problem?
laugh.gif

You say 'If the ref had done his job and went up the court, he wouldn't have seen Jermaine'; I say if Jermaine had went back up the court and pretended the ref wasn't there, there wouldn't have been any reaction for the ref to see.
wink.gif

BigPUNoy:
It's the fact that refs are looking for a reaction like in that Jermaine O'Neal clip that's gonna piss me off. If refs were doing their job and heading back up the court they wouldn't even have seen his reaction.
Wait, so when a ref doesn't go back up the court, there's something wrong... but when the basketball players do the same thing, there's no problem?
laugh.gif

You say 'If the ref had done his job and went up the court, he wouldn't have seen Jermaine'; I say if Jermaine had went back up the court and pretended the ref wasn't there, there wouldn't have been any reaction for the ref to see.
wink.gif

koolbarbone:
Believe it or not, it is possible to display emotion for the game without showing up the refs.
WHAT?! Wait, wait, wait... so you're suggesting that it's possible to be excited about the game you're playing... and not worry about the refs?! That... well that might be the silliest thing I've ever heard. If you're passionate about the game you're competing in, you HAVE to also whine and carry on and piss and moan and hop around like a spoiled brat when calls don't go your way. I mean, that's really the only way to really show passion and emotion. Really.

Really, guys?
laugh.gif

koolbarbone:
Believe it or not, it is possible to display emotion for the game without showing up the refs.
WHAT?! Wait, wait, wait... so you're suggesting that it's possible to be excited about the game you're playing... and not worry about the refs?! That... well that might be the silliest thing I've ever heard. If you're passionate about the game you're competing in, you HAVE to also whine and carry on and piss and moan and hop around like a spoiled brat when calls don't go your way. I mean, that's really the only way to really show passion and emotion. Really.

Really, guys?
laugh.gif

AIRJORDAN JB23:
Players have a right to question calls & go A LITTLE over the top.
A right to voice their opinion? Yes, appropriately, in an appropriate forum.Yelling and cussing is not doing it appropriately, and during the game you're being paid to compete in is not the appropriate forum.

But a right to go a little over the top? I wholeheartedly disagree. Who or what the hell gives them that right? I'm not saying every player should be T'd up for muttering under is breath, but to say they have a RIGHT? Nah. You want to talk about 'rights', I'm sticking to the contracts. Regarding their job (and remember, we're talking about their place of work and their occupation), they have a right to get paid x amount of $ to do the job they signed on to do. Nothing else belongs in the discussion of 'rights'.

AIRJORDAN JB23:
A right to voice their opinion? Yes, appropriately, in an appropriate forum.Yelling and cussing is not doing it appropriately, and during the game you're being paid to compete in is not the appropriate forum.

But a right to go a little over the top? I wholeheartedly disagree. Who or what the hell gives them that right? I'm not saying every player should be T'd up for muttering under is breath, but to say they have a RIGHT? Nah. You want to talk about 'rights', I'm sticking to the contracts. Regarding their job (and remember, we're talking about their place of work and their occupation), they have a right to get paid x amount of $ to do the job they signed on to do. Nothing else belongs in the discussion of 'rights'.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

BigPUNoy:
laugh.gif

wink.gif

He fell and was getting helped up Ska ...
Now you're just nit-picking. 

BigPUNoy:
laugh.gif

wink.gif

He fell and was getting helped up Ska ...
Now you're just nit-picking. 

AIRJORDAN JB23:

uummmmmm...that they are the main drivers of revenue for this business and without them there would be no NBA? Theoretically speaking there can be an NBA without refs. Would it be optimal? No.  But it could exist. Could there be an NBA without the players? 
Stern is "europeanizing" the league. Why? Because he sees the future growth of the NBA being dependent on expansion in overseas markets. He's trying t make the NBA more palatable to an overseas market. In the meantime he;s +@%+$%+ up what makes the NBA the best league in the world. 

Ever watch a FIBA game? %##% is truly disgusting. A bunch non athletic, low creativity  spastics ..... 

I want the NBA. Not FIBA. 

Yes I'm mad.
laugh.gif

AIRJORDAN JB23:

uummmmmm...that they are the main drivers of revenue for this business and without them there would be no NBA? Theoretically speaking there can be an NBA without refs. Would it be optimal? No.  But it could exist. Could there be an NBA without the players? 
Stern is "europeanizing" the league. Why? Because he sees the future growth of the NBA being dependent on expansion in overseas markets. He's trying t make the NBA more palatable to an overseas market. In the meantime he;s +@%+$%+ up what makes the NBA the best league in the world. 

Ever watch a FIBA game? %##% is truly disgusting. A bunch non athletic, low creativity  spastics ..... 

Yes I'm mad.
laugh.gif

Enh, I'm not going to talk at length about a scene I didn't see. I've commented a little bit on plays that were described in here, bu I haven't seen any of 'em, including Jermaine's.

And I don't care to see them, either. Not that big of a deal. Without seeing those plays and specifically breaking them down and commenting on them further, I think it's clear what I'm in support of.

Enh, I'm not going to talk at length about a scene I didn't see. I've commented a little bit on plays that were described in here, bu I haven't seen any of 'em, including Jermaine's.

And I don't care to see them, either. Not that big of a deal. Without seeing those plays and specifically breaking them down and commenting on them further, I think it's clear what I'm in support of.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

AIRJORDAN JB23:

Yes I'm mad.
laugh.gif

So because the players bring in money to the league, they should have free reign to act as they please on the court? I disagree.

I'm all for showing emotion and passion for the game, but I can do without all the silliness that comes after every foul called (except for Sheed, he can complain all he wants).

It's not an impossible proposition. Players at every level of sport manage to do it, so I don't see why the NBA can't be the same. I'm sure there will be an adjustment period but what else is new.  

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

AIRJORDAN JB23:

Yes I'm mad.
laugh.gif

So because the players bring in money to the league, they should have free reign to act as they please on the court? I disagree.

I'm all for showing emotion and passion for the game, but I can do without all the silliness that comes after every foul called (except for Sheed, he can complain all he wants).

It's not an impossible proposition. Players at every level of sport manage to do it, so I don't see why the NBA can't be the same. I'm sure there will be an adjustment period but what else is new.  

When I say "a little over the top" & "rights", Im talking when a player might give that little jump in the air after a call, or might raise their voice after a call, throw their hands up, something like that. When they're playing in an intense game, its pretty certain they're going to get caught up in the moment with a close call... Its only natural. I see nothing wrong with that. Going a little over the top isn't crossing a line. Stern is going to have them playing like robots out there.
grin.gif

Give a player a T if he disrespects a ref by cursing at him, waiving him off, screaming non stop, or simply overall disrespecting an official. But handing out T's to where a player has natural emotion after a call to question it by raising his voice a little, going "huh?" (O'Neal), voicing his opinion to get a point across, all that doesn't deserve a quick call.

Players & officials deserve respect, that's fine. If a player goes over the top, T him up. But some of these quick calls, it just seems a little over the top. If you want to stop players from disrespecting officials & all other reasons behind this new inforcement, fine, but do it at a reasonable rate. A T for looking at an official? Really?
laugh.gif

When I say "a little over the top" & "rights", Im talking when a player might give that little jump in the air after a call, or might raise their voice after a call, throw their hands up, something like that. When they're playing in an intense game, its pretty certain they're going to get caught up in the moment with a close call... Its only natural. I see nothing wrong with that. Going a little over the top isn't crossing a line. Stern is going to have them playing like robots out there.
grin.gif

Give a player a T if he disrespects a ref by cursing at him, waiving him off, screaming non stop, or simply overall disrespecting an official. But handing out T's to where a player has natural emotion after a call to question it by raising his voice a little, going "huh?" (O'Neal), voicing his opinion to get a point across, all that doesn't deserve a quick call.

Players & officials deserve respect, that's fine. If a player goes over the top, T him up. But some of these quick calls, it just seems a little over the top. If you want to stop players from disrespecting officials & all other reasons behind this new inforcement, fine, but do it at a reasonable rate. A T for looking at an official? Really?
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom