No United airlines thread ? VOL....Delta won

United mainly messed up because they knew they were gonna need the seats when they were sitting passengers. This should've been handled while everybody was standing in line to get on the plane.

What agreement?
There's fine print (aka size 3 font, italicized, in white font) on the page where you confirm your reservation. It's basically United's legal way of pointing to language and saying that the customer should've known  

A whole airplane full of passengers. Hard to believe that they wouldn't be able to provide enough incentive to get one more person to volunteer. They just didn't work hard enough to provide that incentive.

Last edited:
A whole airplane full of passengers. Hard to believe that they wouldn't be able to provide enough incentive to get one alternative person to volunteer. They just didn't work hard enough to provide that incentive.
I think the max they can go is $800 voucher. And plus you would have to stay overnight and catch a flight at 3pm the next day. Most people have things to do. Ive been in those late. Other flights and tired as hell. Sometimes you just wanna go home

Last edited:
Crine at anybody who takes that $800. They give it to you in multiple $50 vouchers with various blackout dates :lol:

I think the max they can go is $800 voucher. And plus you would have to stay overnight and catch a flight at 3pm the next day. Most people have things to do. Ive been in those late. Other flights and tired as hell. Sometimes you just wanna go home
Max they can give is 400% of the ticket value which in this instance they say was $1,350

Last edited:
There should've made an exception in this case when it comes to the 800 dollar limit and kept sweetening the deal. Someone would've bit eventually and whatever the airline would've had to give up would've been cheaper than this PR hit

That 800$ Was probably policy, but there was somebody with enough weight behind their title that could supersede that and up the ante. Gotta be.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/10/news/united-overbooking-policy/

Quote:
 Passengers must get to their final destination within one hour -- or carriers have to start coughing up money.
If fliers get to their final destination one to two hours late (or one to four hours late if they're flying internationally), airlines are required to pay double the original one-way fare, with a $675 limit. If fliers get in more than two hours late (or four internationally), airlines have to pay 400% of the one-way fare, up to a $1,350 limit.

Passengers have the right to insist on a check in lieu of a free flight or a voucher when they're kicked off a flight involuntary, according to the DOT.

"Usually [airlines will] just up the compensation amount, and they'll find somebody at some price," Hobica said.

United offered passengers up to $1,000 to de-board the Sunday flight, according to an internal e-mail from CEO Oscar Munoz.
They coulda offered $1300 with a cash option. Crazy nobody took $1000 tho.

And if you are going on a vacation or somewhere and you already have a room booked at your destination, they going to reimburse you for that? Plus the day you potentially lose of your vacation, 800$ isn't enough. 

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/10/news/united-overbooking-policy/

Quote:
 Passengers must get to their final destination within one hour -- or carriers have to start coughing up money.
If fliers get to their final destination one to two hours late (or one to four hours late if they're flying internationally), airlines are required to pay double the original one-way fare, with a $675 limit. If fliers get in more than two hours late (or four internationally), airlines have to pay 400% of the one-way fare, up to a $1,350 limit.

Passengers have the right to insist on a check in lieu of a free flight or a voucher when they're kicked off a flight involuntary, according to the DOT.
"Usually [airlines will] just up the compensation amount, and they'll find somebody at some price," Hobica said.

United offered passengers up to $1,000 to de-board the Sunday flight, according to an internal e-mail from CEO Oscar Munoz.

They coulda offered $1300 with a cash option. Crazy nobody took $1000 tho.

probably because it was a voucher, I know it sounds like a lot but to some it's less appealing especially if they do not have any plans to fly again anytime soon

had it been cash, I think there would have been at least one person who would jump on it

probably because it was a voucher, I know it sounds like a lot but to some it's less appealing especially if they do not have any plans to fly again anytime soon

had it been cash, I think there would have been at least one person who would jump on it
it reads like they could have asked for cash instead of the voucher tho. They prob present it as a voucher and play like it can't be swapped out but looks like it is an option

we won't really know unless one of those three who took the offer speaks up

I mean one report says it's $800 while the CEO claims it's a $1000

What agreement?
There's fine print (aka size 3 font, italicized, in white font) on the page where you confirm your reservation. It's basically United's legal way of pointing to language and saying that the customer should've known  

Thing is, these things are supposed to be handled before the plane has boarded.

They have the right to deny boarding if the flight is overbooked, they don't have the right to forcibly remove you once the plane has boarded.

They have the right to deny boarding if the flight is overbooked, they don't have the right to forcibly remove you once the plane has boarded.
Just noticed the 'There Will Be Blood' quote in your sig, one of my favorites.
nthat.gif

Last edited:
they overbook flights cuz they pocket the extra money in the hopes ppl will miss the flight

they only wanna put the plane in the air if its full

that ceo was full of it too, "re-accomodate" the passengers 
mean.gif

like they doing you a favor when you pay for a ticket

Last edited:

Fully agree, wasn't trying to justify United's argument. They should've known before boarding that they needed four seats for United employees. 

they overbook flights cuz they pocket the extra money in the hopes ppl will miss the flight

they only wanna put the plane in the air if its full

that ceo was full of it too, "re-accomodate" the passengers :smh:

like they doiing you a favor when you pay for a ticket

Gotta be the only industry that can do this nonsense, playing with people's lives. Imagine going to a concert then being removed saying they booked your spot.

the airline and the police tryna throw the cops who did it under the bus 

the airline and the cops were wrong

voluntary means you get to choose to or not

he chose not to

airline being cheap not wanting to up the ante, thats what this comes down to to me

Pretty much. Captain capped the incentive at $8-1k and said that's high enough and prob thought the presence of cops would make the guy get up.

Thinking more about the racial aspect of it, it's not too much of a stretch that they could have thought since he was Asian he's supposed to be docile and not offer much resistance and picked him as an easy target

Back
Top Bottom