OFFICIAL 2010 LOS ANGELES DODGERS THREAD [79-82] : The losing season

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Originally Posted by DJ iD4

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

Originally Posted by DJ iD4

I know i'm in enemy territory, but as a giants fan, what are the chances of me getting shot or stabbed at Dodger stadium if i go when the giants play the dodgers? Should i complete my will before i go?

Thanks! lol

you'll get a bunch of crap from drunk cholos and a few things thrown at you possibly.   just keep a low profile though,  go and cheer for your team but don't start running your mouth if the giants do good or win because theirs a ton of dodger fans.

also if you sit in the good seats you won't have to worry about this as much
Thanks!  Yeah i'm looking at maybe $100 tickets for the games. The price is worth not losing a limb due to it being ripped out in a brawl!

Yeah dude, don't do the bleachers, top deck, reserve or anything like that. 

Get the baller seats, and you will be good.   You don't have to worry about the "Gangstas" and their baby mamma's yanking your eyes out.

those bleacher and top deck seats are ruthless
laugh.gif
   its not just giants fans, they'll eff with anyone they see wearing a baseball hat that doesn't have a LA on it and anyone with a baseball shirt that doesn't say los angeles or dodgers.

i noticed with the ticket prices and what not though that their trying to decholoize dodger stadium slowly but surely
laugh.gif

I know man, I don't care if he got that Lasik surg - he needs them goggles.
ohwell.gif

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/03/state-of-the-dodgers.html[/h1]
[h1]State Of The Dodgers[/h1]
By Zach Links [March 6, 2010 at 4:56pm CST]

Dodgers owner Frank McCourt addressed reporters today and said thatGM Ned Colletti will have the same financial flexibility at the tradedeadline as he did last year, writes Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times (via Twitter).

Before the trade deadline last season, the Dodgers acquired George Sherill from the Orioles for Josh Bell and right-hander Steve Johnson.  Colletti also managed to bring Jim Thome, Ronnie Belliard, and Jon Garlandaboard prior to the August 31st waiver deadline.  While those pickupsdidn't require Los Angeles to break the bank, Dodgers fans should berelieved to know that they will have room to make mid-season moves.

Meanwhile, after listening to McCourt speak, Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter) doesn't get the sense that the club is close to adding another starting pitcher.

[h3]
[/h3]It's a good thing Carlos Santan is going to be major league ready this season
smokin.gif

2lijwuc.jpg

Dammit Ned
smh.gif

[h1]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dod...gers-catcher-russell-martin-out-46-weeks.html[/h1]
[h1]Nothing minor about this: Dodgers catcher Russell Martin out 4 to 6 weeks[/h1]
March 7, 2010 | 10:09am

Turns out what Russell Martin called a "little strain" is actually a pulled groin that will sideline him for four to six weeks and force him to miss opening day.

Manager Joe Torre said Martin’s place would be taken by A.J. Ellis, who has spent a majority of the last two years in Triple A. A two-time September call-up, the 28-year-old Ellis has one hit in 13 career at-bats.

Torre said Martin would return to Los Angeles in the near future to undergo further examinations.

“We have to make sure we don’t rush something,

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/03/dodgers-dont-plan-to-trade-for-catcher.html[/h1]
[h1]Dodgers Don't Plan To Trade For Catcher[/h1]
By Zach Links [March 7 at 9:44pm CST]

The Dodgers do not plan to bring in a catcher after losing Russell Martin for four to six weeks with a pulled groin, according to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports.  Instead, they will rely on A.J. Ellis to fill the void, with Brad Ausmus serving as the understudy.  Ken Gurnick of MLB.com writes that Torre has faith in the rookie.

The post notes that Paul Bakois likely the top remaining free agent catcher.  The 37-year-old hit.224/.308/.336 in 130 plate appearances for the Phillies last season. Another notable catcher without a job is Michael Barrett, though he missed the majority of 2009 due to injury.

Los Angeles dealt one of the game's top catching prospects, Carlos Santana, in the Casey Blake deal in 2008.  The 23-year-old Santana will likely make his major league debut this season.

so who got the hook up on dodger tickets for Firday april 16th vs the giants
nerd.gif

dont make a brother pay 98 bucks each for MVP tickets
eek.gif

its for a lady firend bday
embarassed.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

so who got the hook up on dodger tickets for Firday april 16th vs the giants
nerd.gif

dont make a brother pay 98 bucks each for MVP tickets
eek.gif

its for a lady firend bday
embarassed.gif
frown.gif
go check if Costco has those vouchers this year? 2/$99?

roll.gif
roll.gif

she just sent me the link saying this is what she wanted for her bday i was like
grin.gif

i ant even look around for other tickets. will do tonight

Cory Wade has been "shut down" for a couple weeks, he'll never be the same
tired.gif

[h1]Owning the Dodgers … it's a messy job[/h1][h3]McCourts' divorce proceedings likely will have adverse effect on team going forward[/h3]

By Gene Wojciechowski
ESPN.com
Archive

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't be a sports writer. Instead, I'd own the Los Angeles Dodgers.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Jae C. HongFrank McCourt has been the owner of the Dodgers since 2004.

If I owned the Dodgers, I could put my two sons on the team payroll for a combined $600,000 per year, even though neither one actually works for the Dodgers.
indifferent.gif

If I owned the Dodgers, my soon-to-be ex-wife and I could pay ourselves a combined $108 million during the past six years but not pay the state or feds any income tax.
indifferent.gif
Cool.

If I owned the Dodgers, I could fly on my Dodgers jet, have pricey floral arrangements delivered regularly to my Dodgers office and dine at the finest restaurants (no Dodger Dogs for me).

Best of all, if I owned the Dodgers, I could borrow $140 million against my future ticket sales. And don't tell anyone (because then everyone would want to own a big league team), but I'd plan on nearly doubling ticket prices during these next nine seasons while spending less on player payroll than I did in 2009. Those 3.7 million suckers, er, valued Dodgers ticket buyers wouldn't know what hit them.
indifferent.gif

Anyway, if I owned the Dodgers, I'd be Frank McCourt, who had to leverage himself up to his nose hairs to buy the team in 2004. And my soon-to-be ex-wife would be Jamie McCourt, who insists she owns half the Dodgers, too.

Under normal sports writing circumstances, I wouldn't touch these McCourt divorce proceedings with a foul pole. Divorce is a personal, private matter, and in this case, we're talking about two people who were married for 30 years and have four children.

But these aren't normal circumstances. That's because both Frank and Jamie want custody of the Dodgers. Plus, Frank's soon-to-be ex-wife detailed Frank's Dodgers plans in court documents. And the Los Angeles Times published the details of those documents. (What, you didn't spend $52,000 on clothes during the past three months?)

So, depending on how this divorce and ownership battle shakes out, you wonder whether Frank will keep the Dodgers. And if he does keep them, will he keep them competitive?

Frank, in several recent interviews, says he owns the team and has a written agreement to prove it. Jamie says the postnuptial agreement waiving her claim to the Dodgers is invalid. The Los Angeles Superior Court will rule on the case later this year.

As for the Dodgers' players, a few of them commented on the situation.

"It's really none of my business," Dodgers pitcher Chad Billingsley says.

"You hope they find a way to work together or just find a way to settle it," catcher Russell Martin says. "That's all you can hope for."

And this from third baseman Casey Blake: "It's something that obviously is real, so you do think about it a little bit, the effect it's going to have. You just hope that it doesn't affect, on a daily basis, the focus that this team has. You just hope that we can still go about our business."

And there's the rub: What happens if the McCourts' personal business becomes the team's business? What happens if the divorce bleeds down from the courtroom to the dugout?

Publicly, Frank says there is no scenario that will force him to sell the Dodgers. It's his team: The postnup says so; Major League Baseball says so.Meanwhile, Jamie, the longtime attorney, knows where all of Frank's financial bones are buried, and she hasn't been shy about excavating them for the court documents. So you wonder what other surprises she might reveal and whether those revelations could trickle down to a Dodgers franchise picked by many to win the NL West this season.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Mark DuncanManny Ramirez is entering the final season of a two-year, $45 million deal with the Dodgers.

Divorce can devastate a franchise. Just ask the San Diego Padres, who became fire-sale material after the 2007 divorce of then-owner John Moores. Frank, who was unavailable for comment, likely would argue that his circumstances differ significantly from those of Moores. And he's right -- for now.

But what does he do if the L.A. Superior Court rules in Jamie's favor? Or if he gets hammered in the financial settlement?

Something has to give. Frank already has lowered his 2010 player payroll from 2009 levels and, according to those court documents, projects only modest increases in payroll through 2018 while raising ticket prices at the same time.

Meanwhile, the Dodgers basically ignored the free-agent market during the offseason because, Frank said, they already have the necessary core parts. Martin backs him up.

"Obviously, I believe we can win the World Series," Martin says. "I think we have the talent."

But what if Dodgers GM Ned Colletti needs a big-ticket item for a late-season run? And I don't know whether Frank noticed, but that core group is going to get very pricey in the next few years. Closer Jonathan Broxton will become a free agent after the 2011 season, and Martin, Billingsley, first baseman James Loney and outfielders Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier will be free agents after the 2012 season.

Sure, it helps that the expensive contracts of Manny Ramirez, Rafael Furcal and Blake will come off the books soon, but it still will cost a lot of money to re-sign the young stars. Will the divorce make a difference in how wide, or whether, Frank opens his wallet?

The Dodgers are lucky to have crisis-management expert Joe Torre. He managed the New York Mets when their family ownership was in chaos. He managed the New York Yankees with George Steinbrenner attached to his eardrum. Now he deals with the McCourt situation.

[h3][/h3]
If I owned the Dodgers, I'd think long and hard about selling the Dodgers. Frank has said no way, but people say lots of things before a trial.

"You try to insulate," says Torre, who recently spoke to his team about the McCourts and the related media attention. "I knew when I took that Yankees job … my priority was to have those guys worry about baseball and nothing else because there are so many distractions in New York -- and the owner was obviously one of them. But I had a bunch of grown-ups, too. And these guys are getting to that point."

If I owned the Dodgers, I'd think long and hard about selling the Dodgers. Frank has said no way, but people say lots of things before a trial.

This is going to get Shrek ugly or uglier. I mean, is it a good thing when Jamie's first court filing is more than 1,400 pages?

Frank might win the team, but depending on the judgment, Dodgers fans might lose. That's because there's a big difference between owning a team and being able to afford the honor.

I'd wish nothing but bad things on these two reckless owners, idiots.
alien.gif

I never knew about their sons being on the payroll?

$108M tax-free 
mad.gif
We gotta find a way to put these two in jail ... who's with me?

Borrowin' $140M?
grin.gif

They didn't take $108 Million tax free. That was money they took out in loans, so it's not taxable. Rich people do ##%# like this all the time, I'm not really worried about that.

And the doubling ticket prices thing was used when trying to entice that Chinese investor. So considering that, you'd expect them to put the figures at the most optimistic point possible. That doesn't mean that would actually happen.

But yeah, the McCourts need to go

Back
Top Bottom