Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

Originally Posted by acidicality

I'm really confused, what are you debating with us about?
laugh.gif
Stop using us. That would be a start.
laugh.gif

The other guy is irrelevant because he's not even part of your "demographics."

I only care because it's a great story. I have admitted I am an Indian, play basketball regularly, go to a top-tier institution (we don't produce NBA players either) and believe I hold my own on the court when I'm not expected to, all factors that make this story even more relevant to me. (I'm playing with NTers tomorrow at 11am here in NYC)

I just don't get what there is to discredit here. He isn't being overhyped as an All-star player. I don't see that anywhere.

I gtg to sleep so I'll continue this tomorrow. Hopefully there will be more colorful banter that I can shoot down
happy.gif

I only care because it's a great story. I have admitted I am an Indian, play basketball regularly, go to a top-tier institution (we don't produce NBA players either) and believe I hold my own on the court when I'm not expected to, all factors that make this story even more relevant to me. (I'm playing with NTers tomorrow at 11am here in NYC)

I just don't get what there is to discredit here. He isn't being overhyped as an All-star player. I don't see that anywhere.

I gtg to sleep so I'll continue this tomorrow. Hopefully there will be more colorful banter that I can shoot down
happy.gif

question to those that bring up wat misaka and raymond townsend. was this previous knowledge to you guys or did you look it up out of curiosity on the topic at hand?

question to those that bring up wat misaka and raymond townsend. was this previous knowledge to you guys or did you look it up out of curiosity on the topic at hand?

Originally Posted by bijald0331

happy.gif
Never had a problem with you really. I mean if you don't care about the past because basketball wasn't important back then, I can't do anything about that. We can agree to disagree. 

Acid on the other hand was wilidin' for a minute before you even posted on this thread. You don't need to fight his battles for him.

Originally Posted by KB8isCLUTCH

I heard about Wat Misaka the same time Yao Ming was drafted by the Rockets.

happy.gif
Never had a problem with you really. I mean if you don't care about the past because basketball wasn't important back then, I can't do anything about that. We can agree to disagree. 

Acid on the other hand was wilidin' for a minute before you even posted on this thread. You don't need to fight his battles for him.

Originally Posted by KB8isCLUTCH

I heard about Wat Misaka the same time Yao Ming was drafted by the Rockets.

How ironic for you to say I've been wildin', when you've been the one bringing nothing positive to this thread (maybe besides bringing up the facts about previous Asians playing in the league) and just attacking how I'm saying that I speak for a good majority of Asian-Americans around my way....that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, and you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.
laugh.gif

How do you feel about Jeremy Lin's "impact on Asian-Americans" to begin with? And are you Asian? If you started there, maybe you would have sounded more intelligent. Nothing in your arguments have had anything about that.

And while I'm at it, I'll pull this quote, because this basically sums it all up, and I don't have to say anything more:
goukiteg wrote:
I don't think you'll understand unless you are ASIAN-AMERICAN how important this is. We grew up much like Jeremy Lin
withall the stereotypes surrounding Asians in sports in America and this JLhas already somewhat made it. We aren't rooting for him simply
becausehe's Asian and want him to do well, but because he has shown that it ispossible for Asian-Americans to make it. He goes against
society'sview of Asians as nerdy, unassuming, passive group of people. He's openthe door for Asian-Americans kids and gives them someone to look up to.They can look at JL and say, "Hey, that can be me on out there too."You don't have to be a doctor, lawyer or engineer to succeed. You canfollow your dreams.

How ironic for you to say I've been wildin', when you've been the one bringing nothing positive to this thread (maybe besides bringing up the facts about previous Asians playing in the league) and just attacking how I'm saying that I speak for a good majority of Asian-Americans around my way....that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, and you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.
laugh.gif

How do you feel about Jeremy Lin's "impact on Asian-Americans" to begin with? And are you Asian? If you started there, maybe you would have sounded more intelligent. Nothing in your arguments have had anything about that.

And while I'm at it, I'll pull this quote, because this basically sums it all up, and I don't have to say anything more:
goukiteg wrote:
I don't think you'll understand unless you are ASIAN-AMERICAN how important this is. We grew up much like Jeremy Lin
withall the stereotypes surrounding Asians in sports in America and this JLhas already somewhat made it. We aren't rooting for him simply
becausehe's Asian and want him to do well, but because he has shown that it ispossible for Asian-Americans to make it. He goes against
society'sview of Asians as nerdy, unassuming, passive group of people. He's openthe door for Asian-Americans kids and gives them someone to look up to.They can look at JL and say, "Hey, that can be me on out there too."You don't have to be a doctor, lawyer or engineer to succeed. You canfollow your dreams.

God damn. Will both parties realize you're not going to change the minds of people who are set in their ways? Can this +*@# get locked up or moved to general? This has very little to do with sports at this point in the conversation.

God damn. Will both parties realize you're not going to change the minds of people who are set in their ways? Can this +*@# get locked up or moved to general? This has very little to do with sports at this point in the conversation.

Lin's alright. I'm Asian American (Filipino) but this really isn't a big deal to ME personally (don't flame) although I can understand it being a big deal for others, especially those that share the same ethnicity and city/state with him. I just try to look at these things without making a big deal out of it because I try to normalize it and in return, I think it helps others (of different races) normalize it too and therefore, acceptance is embraced naturally instead of forced.

Lin's alright. I'm Asian American (Filipino) but this really isn't a big deal to ME personally (don't flame) although I can understand it being a big deal for others, especially those that share the same ethnicity and city/state with him. I just try to look at these things without making a big deal out of it because I try to normalize it and in return, I think it helps others (of different races) normalize it too and therefore, acceptance is embraced naturally instead of forced.

laugh.gif

goukiteg wrote:

Acid, I feel you. Really I do. I just think you need to calm down and think before you type things that can indirectly offend people on this board. Obviously, you offended me enough that I have taken time to debate with you.

How do I feel about JLin's impact on Asian Americans? I agree with you that he will and has made a big impact on Asian Americans. I agree that for younger Asian Americans that are like you: have an interest in basketball, the NBA, and etc. that this is huge because JLin truly has done something that has not been done for a very very long time. I agree that JLin is an example of hard work paying off, no matter what race/ethnicity you are and that you can do anything in this world.

Is that cool with you?

Sidebar, you speak for yourself. I speak for myself.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

goukiteg wrote:

Acid, I feel you. Really I do. I just think you need to calm down and think before you type things that can indirectly offend people on this board. Obviously, you offended me enough that I have taken time to debate with you.

How do I feel about JLin's impact on Asian Americans? I agree with you that he will and has made a big impact on Asian Americans. I agree that for younger Asian Americans that are like you: have an interest in basketball, the NBA, and etc. that this is huge because JLin truly has done something that has not been done for a very very long time. I agree that JLin is an example of hard work paying off, no matter what race/ethnicity you are and that you can do anything in this world.

Is that cool with you?

Sidebar, you speak for yourself. I speak for myself.
laugh.gif

lmao
laugh.gif
, judging from your stance it's the same as mine. I didn't put down anything offensive at all, so I have no idea where you're getting that from, unless you're Wat Misaka's grandson or something (and even then, I never meant to disrespect them at all).

So...you agreed with me all along?
laugh.gif
I don't even know. But yeah, we can agree to disagree, I guess which would be on the the "impact" of previous Asian-Americans in the NBA? If that's the case, no problems. No need to argue and debate over a little detail.
laugh.gif

lmao
laugh.gif
, judging from your stance it's the same as mine. I didn't put down anything offensive at all, so I have no idea where you're getting that from, unless you're Wat Misaka's grandson or something (and even then, I never meant to disrespect them at all).

So...you agreed with me all along?
laugh.gif
I don't even know. But yeah, we can agree to disagree, I guess which would be on the the "impact" of previous Asian-Americans in the NBA? If that's the case, no problems. No need to argue and debate over a little detail.
laugh.gif

the only problem i see is that people took offense to the way his performance against john wall was described "owning John Wall, John Wall who?, JL > JW, etc...". But those that were following him and even saw that game, know that performance probably gained him a contract. Don't know why people are getting mad over John Wall anyways, even to the point they think the performance was overhyped, but they don't understand his significance to Asian-Americans(If they've read all these pages and still don't understand then so be it, but the length of it alone should demonstrate it's importance). Besides, I think most people were just having fun with the aftermath of JL vs JW. But in reality, he could have been abused by Wall, and people would have said he was a scrub, JL would have been off to Europe, and this post would have disappeared, but he did the opposite and played his best when it counted.

btw

http://twitter.com/jlin7

the only problem i see is that people took offense to the way his performance against john wall was described "owning John Wall, John Wall who?, JL > JW, etc...". But those that were following him and even saw that game, know that performance probably gained him a contract. Don't know why people are getting mad over John Wall anyways, even to the point they think the performance was overhyped, but they don't understand his significance to Asian-Americans(If they've read all these pages and still don't understand then so be it, but the length of it alone should demonstrate it's importance). Besides, I think most people were just having fun with the aftermath of JL vs JW. But in reality, he could have been abused by Wall, and people would have said he was a scrub, JL would have been off to Europe, and this post would have disappeared, but he did the opposite and played his best when it counted.

btw

http://twitter.com/jlin7

I've been sleeping on this man...is he a good pickup for the Warriors. Lord knows bay area teams could use more talent.

I've been sleeping on this man...is he a good pickup for the Warriors. Lord knows bay area teams could use more talent.

It's a win-win for the Warriors- low-risk, high-reward. If he does well, that would be great, and if he doesn't, it's a minimum salary so it's no big deal on the basketball side.
And, not to mention, Lin's jersey is going to fly off the racks.

It's a win-win for the Warriors- low-risk, high-reward. If he does well, that would be great, and if he doesn't, it's a minimum salary so it's no big deal on the basketball side.
And, not to mention, Lin's jersey is going to fly off the racks.

Back
Top Bottom