***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Years ago before I left corp america I noticed white candidates applying for positions, while also placing their pics on their resumes. Black candidates never used their pics, nor did the asian applicants. White candidates? Oh man, the pics were retouched, downright studio headshot worthy.
:rofl: :rofl: I’ve actually wondered if that was a thing because my headshot is cleaner than a mug but I would have to imagine that no later race or gender the hiring committee would have to think you’re vain AF :lol:

Not saying it’s right but this should surprise no one. I had an executive recruiter tell me in the past something about how he advised his Asian candidates to change their name to make them seem more employable. I don’t know if it’s for simplicity or employability but I have noticed a lot of Asians do go by “Caucasian American” names. I don’t know if I’ve seen African Americans do the same but maybe some of y’all can comment on that.

I’ve been participating in hiring and selection for development programs for over a decade and I can honestly say I have never looked at a name and crafted a story. That’s just weird to me. Blind resumes, as they’ve alluded to, would obviously be the answer but I don’t know how if that could be mandated but based on that video, some companies do try to do that which I think is good.

I don’t know how long it’s been around but I don’t find all the self-identification stuff on apps weird. They ask if you’re Hispanic/Latino and if you say no, you get another box with all the other ethnicities.

The whole concept / social construct of race is a lie.

I knew I was done when I realized the person in this photo is an African American:

charlize-theron-9542564-2-402.jpg

The whole concept / social construct of race is a lie.

I knew I was done when I realized the person in this photo is an African American:

charlize-theron-9542564-2-402.jpg
Think about why the heck we need to state our race to do certain things that it shouldn’t matter towards. Is this only an American thing or what? Someone chime in

Think about why the heck we need to state our race to do certain things that it shouldn’t matter towards. Is this only an American thing or what? Someone chime in

For most job applications this area is optional.

I never complete these questions and always opt out.

Employers sometimes ask about race on job applications for affirmative action purposes or to track applicant data for internal assessment. However, based on Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, it is illegal for an employer to use race in evaluating job applicants except when race is a necessary factor of employment.

Legitimate Inquiries
Public and government organizations are often required to track data on applicants to align with federal or state affirmative action laws. Private employers may also track such data to ensure their screening practices encourage applicants regardless of race. The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission indicates on its website that companies can use tear-off sheets on applications to allow for data tracking, while still removing the information from the screening process.

Illegal Inquiries
While using racial information in screening is often discriminatory and illegal, asking for a candidate's race on the application isn't illegal on its own. However, employers are susceptible to discrimination lawsuits by asking candidates about race and not proving a legitimate use. Claimants have a strong case if an employer asks about race and then includes screening tools or questions that don't align with actual job duties.

Also...

Still happens to this very day in the United States:

When an African American showed up to rent an apartment owned by a young real-estate scion named Donald Trump and his family, the building superintendent did what he claimed he’d been told to do. He allegedly attached a separate sheet of paper to the application, marked with the letter “C.”

“C” for “Colored.”

According to the Department of Justice, that was the crude code that ensured the rental would be denied.

Not saying it’s right but this should surprise no one. I had an executive recruiter tell me in the past something about how he advised his Asian candidates to change their name to make them seem more employable. I don’t know if it’s for simplicity or employability but I have noticed a lot of Asians do go by “Caucasian American” names. I don’t know if I’ve seen African Americans do the same but maybe some of y’all can comment on that.

I’ve been participating in hiring and selection for development programs for over a decade and I can honestly say I have never looked at a name and crafted a story. That’s just weird to me. Blind resumes, as they’ve alluded to, would obviously be the answer but I don’t know how if that could be mandated but based on that video, some companies do try to do that which I think is good.

I don’t know how long it’s been around but I don’t find all the self-identification stuff on apps weird. They ask if you’re Hispanic/Latino and if you say no, you get another box with all the other ethnicities.
This is absolutely a factor and has been for a long time. It’s the main reason poor Italian, Jewish, etc. immigrants changed their names. They weren’t actually changed when entering at Ellis Island as much as people think. My great grandfather was born in America as Sanantonio Cianciullo and died as Anthony (more English sounding last name). No one knows why he changed it for sure but for most it was to get a job. Unfortunately for black and brown Americans, that trick could work on a resume but won’t help in the interview.

Last edited:
I’m grown now/ call me William

I'm big on addressing grown folks by their formal names. For example, I use the following formal names.

1. Dwalk31 is formally known as Delk
2. Joe Budden is formally known as Joseph Budden.
3. Bill Gates is formally known as William Gates
4. Lebron James is formally known as LeBaron James worth
5. Don Trump is formally known as OUR PRESIDENT EMERITUS.

what is a fair wage though? what if the wage that produces maximum utility for low wage, low skill people is less than the living wage?

we live in an imperfect labor market in which employers have all the power. there's a gap between the prevailing wage and workers' productivity. Marx called this "surplus value"

while some of Marx's economic theories weren't really accurate, the concept of surplus value is a solid description of imperfect labor markets

the role of a minimum wage is to make sure that employers with their vastly superior leverage don't just put the "surplus value" in their pocket. but that wage can't exceed productivity because no employer is going to willingly submit to that

the Government has additional tools at its disposal: raising income taxes and boosting support for poor workers, which are more effective anti-inequality measures imo

that's not to say the minimum wage shouldn't be an additional tool that is used. i would just like to hear more from economists on what that number should be

In the Marxist approach, all profits are surplus value extracted from labor. The immediate and obvious question one asks is "what about non labor costs like supplies, capital equipment, etc. the business pays for that so surely the owner deserves something for making those investments?" The Marxist answer is that all of those inputs like materials and supplies and equipment and the building in which the business operate are all made by workers and the money that the owner puts up to buy those things is all created by other workers, it's dead labor.

The liberal analysis, and the mainstream economic analysis, is that the profits made by capital are ok if they are in competitive market. The additional profits above and beyond what a business can make in a competitive market, those are called rents and the progressive liberal approach is to redistribute those rents. That redistribution can take a few forms: it can be turned into lower consumer prices with price controls or anti trust laws; it can become higher wages through higher minimum wage or anti trust laws; it can be turned into tax revenue via higher taxes on those rents, those above normal profits.

To your point, the higher minimum wage, this $15/hr minimum wage is mostly a way of redistributing some of those rents. It also can be justified as a way of offsetting the low wages caused by such low rates of private sector unionization and a decade of GOP austerity. Third and most prosaic of all, the minimum wage hasn't been increased in over a decade (at the federal level) so $15/hr by 2026 is largely offsetting the fact that inflation effective had been reducing the minimum since 2009.

You see this is cool and all, and I would agree, but it also touches on my point about personal responsibility politics being injected into the mix at every turn

Education and housing are two areas where society has allowed the cost of them to hyperinflate. Maybe if going to college was cheaper then loans wouldn't drag down someone's economic prospects for life. If housing was less expensive maybe more people could afford homes.

American needs to tackle the systematic issues because that is what drivea most of the poor outcomes we see, not poor choices by people.

When some one says that financial education should be mandatory to graduate high school, I agree a little bit. It's good to know that stuff. At the same time though, and to your point, a healthier society is one where people don't have to have lots of financial savvy before they even turn 18. A functioning society is one where you go to college if you're academically inclined or you study a trade that interests/that you're likely to be god at and in either case you graduate with little or no debt and you make a good wage, you don't have to pay out of pocket very much or anything for housing and healthcare and down the line you can start your own business (which has enough capital and customer demand that it has the margins to pay its workers a good wage) or you keep working for an employer and eventually have a secure and dignified retirement.

am i missing something or are we discussing starvation wages and long-term financing techniques in the same conversation?

HALF of US workers cap out at 2x minimum wage and the question is financial savvy?
Yeah that's just gross. Different levels of being out of touch.

Truth man. America is nothing more than a marketers dream. Everything is within everyone’s price range. Live in shake but want a Gucci belt and Jordan’s, or buying a house knowing you can’t afford it in 6 months. People are wild. Got whole companies that run on people giving them money for nothing with these cash apps.

I’m sweating if I got more than 500 on my single credit card and mortgage isn’t more than paid 3 months in advance . Can’t imagine how these people living

Just so y’all see I ain’t faking the funk. If I can’t buy it, I don’t. If the money ain’t in the bank, then i don’t need it.
9871800A-4DF0-4EC6-86F0-4E860FD8F6F3.png
Credit Scores are some bull**** bro.

My score always fluctuates ...

Anytime I have paid my small business loans, mortgages, vehicle loans, my **** dips 20 to 40 points.

Anytime I use my credit card regardless if I pay it off before reporting, my **** dips 20 ton40 points.

Last month I purchased 7 thousand worth of electronics and used the BestBuy account. I didnt want to put it on the card, just wanted the rewards points and a month later I got an alert that my credit drop 42 points but it also was in conjunction to my personal account being closed and reopen by the bank.

Its another way to control ...

Last edited:
"America needs to tackle the systematic issues because that is what drives most of the poor outcomes we see, not poor choices by people."

I really get a kick out of folks who claim education is the great equalizer...

pay-scale3.png

Pretty much. They will gladly offer top dollar to their white employees and try to offer some pittance to their black employees. And if they try to negotiate for more, they try to make it seem like you're being greedy. I remember I applied for a job some years ago, and did the interview etc. They called me and tried to offer me 10k less than what I was earning at the company I was with at the time, and tried to fluff it up by saying "You could earn 100k with ease with the abundant OT". I rejected. The recruiter tried to pressure me to accept and I told him off. Guess who came back with my asking amount? I rejected it cause the entire situation was foolishness. A cat I worked with who damn sure aint on par with me technically and knowledge wise is there making good money and guess why? He's white.

Pretty much. They will gladly offer top dollar to their white employees and try to offer some pittance to their black employees. And if they try to negotiate for more, they try to make it seem like you're being greedy. I remember I applied for a job some years ago, and did the interview etc. They called me and tried to offer me 10k less than what I was earning at the company I was with at the time, and tried to fluff it up by saying "You could earn 100k with ease with the abundant OT". I rejected. The recruiter tried to pressure me to accept and I told him off. Guess who came back with my asking amount? I rejected it cause the entire situation was foolishness. A cat I worked with who damn sure aint on par with me technically and knowledge wise is there making good money and guess why? He's white.
I don't understand recruiters who act like it's their job to save the company money by squeezing qualified candidates.

I see you did some reading prior to your negotiations. The Don served you well :pimp:
1611440945338.jpeg

Yep and to add to that, you tell them what you're looking for salary wise and they still try to line you with companies that are offering less than.

Don‘t they get a cut of whatever your salary is or nah? I thought it was in their best interest to secure the biggest bag possible for you kind of like a sports agent?

I don't understand recruiters who act like it's their job to save the company money by squeezing qualified candidates.
During covid, this has been a major tactic used by firms. They've been lowballing qualified people, especially since so many are now out of work. My wife is an attorney, and her new discovery person was recently hired about two months ago. Regularly that position rakes in at least 95k and up. The head hunter that got her the position with my wife fielded offers from 75-80k, from major firms like Skadden and a few others. My wife's firm offered the norm, and she grabbed it.

It's gonna be bad out there after this thing is over.

1611445779301.png

If We Raise Minimum Wage, What’s Going to Stop My Kid From Getting a Job at McDonald’s, Making More Money Than Me, And Becoming MY Dad?
There’s been a lot of talk lately about Biden’s ridiculous plan to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour. Like most of my fellow citizens (take my word on this), I see this proposal as the foolish, impractical, and frankly reckless mockery of the American way of life that it is. After all, if the minimum wage becomes a honking $15 per hour, what’s to stop my kid from getting a job at a McDonald’s, making more money than me, and becoming MY dad?

During covid, this has been a major tactic used by firms. They've been lowballing qualified people, especially since so many are now out of work. My wife is an attorney, and her new discovery person was recently hired about two months ago. Regularly that position rakes in at least 95k and up. The head hunter that got her the position with my wife fielded offers from 75-80k, from major firms like Skadden and a few others. My wife's firm offered the norm, and she grabbed it.

It's gonna be bad out there after this thing is over.

HUGE facts!

Back
Top Bottom