***Official Political Discussion Thread***

im not saying YOU need to morally condemn anyone, in fact IM not even morally condemning people.

im just saying if someone wants to do that, it's not really like that close of a call.
and I don't think it automatically means they support everything israel is doing.
Right, and I’m saying that just because Rex doesn’t really condemn Hamas, it doesn’t mean that he’s claiming their action is justified.

I took his post as more a critique of those who would condemn Hamas, but forgive the West for, as he puts it, slow violence.

Now, my initial thought on that post was that most people around here aren’t particularly forgiving of the West, but then I realized that their atrocities become so normalized that it becomes easy to overlook, if not forget, the quantity of violence the West enacts every single day. So maybe an occasional reminder is valuable.

Right, and I’m saying that just because Rex doesn’t really condemn Hamas, it doesn’t mean that he’s claiming their action is justified.

imo that's like a hyper charitable reading but okay.

he's recounting all the power and advantage that Israel has and the scolding people for saying terrorism is bad when Palestine is at such a disadvantage.
it's just seems like obviously a justification for terrorism.

he didn't say hey if you support settlements, or IDF war crimes you shouldn't criticize Hamas methods.
he said, given Israel's power you shouldt criticize you shouldn't criticize Hamas's methods.

maybe im dumb but it seems like he said Hamas terrorism is justified.

I’m not sure what would make the Palestinian people think that their lives would improve if only they booted Hamas out of the country

Who said that?

Nothing about recent Israeli policy with regards to Jerusalem and the West Bank would suggest to anyone that Israel would open up Gaza if only Hamas were gone

Who said that?

Israel has no serious partner for peace in Gaza but so too Gaza has no serious partner for peace in Israel

I agree.

he's recounting all the power and advantage that Israel has and the scolding people for saying terrorism is bad when Palestine is at such a disadvantage.
it's just seems like obviously a justification for terrorism.

But most of that post was comparing to the United States, not Israel.

Unless ILS became a reserve currency without my noticing.

To me the post was a satirical take on the inconsistency of people’s attitudes towards violence depending on how that violence is exercised. Like, if Hamas wants to escape criticism they should exercise power like the US does. I just re-read it and I think that’s pretty much exactly what it’s saying.

In his follow up to you, I’m pretty sure he also said that’s what he was saying:

I’m pointing out how self serving it is for those who use violence to point to someone with far, far fewer resources and say “oh the types of violence that you’re using are unacceptable.”

I’m pretty sure the “those who use violence” is ant least as much a reference to Americans as it is to Israelis….

Last part reads a little tone deaf to me. As if Israel hasn’t been terrorizing them forever.

“Israel’s right to defend itself” is going to be wiping them off the map and we all know it.

Should have just sent out a generic thoughts and prayers imo.

Last edited:
Last part reads a little tone deaf to me. As if Israel hasn’t been terrorizing them forever.
I think Barack Obama is fully aware at what goes on in the region

Hell Netanyahu hates the man, and feeling seems to be mutual.

I think this is a situation where people are just gonna nitpick what Barack Obama says because he is Barack Obama and didn't say exactly what they wanted to hear.

Earlier in the day, he was getting heat for not putting out a statement.

At the end of the day, given he is a former president of the United States, I dunno what the people expected.

i see alot of posts about condemning hamas actions
its an act of war
It was an act of terrorism

They didn't just target the military.

They killed innocent people indiscriminately, women and children. They killed non Israelis, they killed Americans, Brits, Thais, etc. They kidnapped tons of innocent people.

People in here for years have damn near universally condemned the terrorists and oppressive things the have done to the Palestinian people by the Israeli government. I certainly have

So why the hell would you expect everyone to be cool with terrorism from the other side?

Why is it a problem to simply say, terrorism is bad and counter productive?

Also Hamas' actions will result in a response that will result in hundreds of Palestinians dying, and millions more Palestinians lives being made worse.

The Israeli government being worse over the past few decades, doesn't make what Hamas did ok.

Back
Top Bottom