***Official Political Discussion Thread***

sounds like you don't want da answer.

you prefer to pretend to have insurance you can't afford cuz of premiums/deductables vs getting blocked off top?
Not everyone in the population can't afford the premiums/deductibles. Stripping healthcare away from everyone with no repeal in place is a better option how exactly?

Comparing healthcare to night clubs is misleading. Sometimes, you can take one market and compare it to another and it is elucidating. Baseball cards and real estate are markets that have a lot in common.

Healthcare is unique because it is a good that people, ideally, would never consume. It is neither an inferior nor a normal good in that sense. People's demand is almost entirely decoupled from their income and healthcare "demand" is dictated by accident, illness or other misfortunes. Most consumers want a good clean doctor's office or hospital and to be well as soon as is possible.

Over the last decade, I have seen all sorts of conservative lines of argument that warn us of the distortionary effects of subsidies and third party payers in healthcare market. The conservative and libertarian argument asks the reader to imagine some other market, usually a grocery store, functioning under the same rules as single payer healthcare or universal, mandate and subsidy based healthcare. The problem is that no other market is like healthcare.

With food or entertainment, you ave many levels of quality beyond what people need to survive and be healthy and you have many corresponding prices points. People's caloric needs are fairly predictable. Real human beings can shop around between or within a store. None of that applies of healthcare. Good healthcare is all about having a robust third party payer and since the private sector has been unable play that role, the state will increasingly assume that role for more and more citizens.

Who had 8 years? Trump? The Senate?

So we're just going to deny the 50 votes to repeal the ACA? Trump saying he was putting the "finishing touches" on a bill that never existed? Really? Really?

And you wonder why people don't want to engage you.

I don't think the majority of conservatives feel this way. Bigots are bigots. They exist in every party.

The bigots have a prominent voice in one party and one party only, and it's not the democratic party. You really can't deny that when senators confirm the likes of Sessions and DeVos to positions of power

You realize that even this potential situation is better than what the GOP has proposed?!?!

umm no its not better, its a band-aid on a bullet wound.

So it's Democrats fault the Republicans currently can't find a good alternative to Obamacare?
its Democrats fault if Obamacare ultimately fails under its own weight, its Republicans fault for not passing a repeal, if it gets to that point.

You rather get shot twice? This is what the proposed GOP plan would be for the millions of people at risk of losing insurance.

And btw that's terrible that you know that Obamacare is not perfect yet don't propose any meaningful legislation that would make the situation better.

You rather get shot twice? This is what the proposed GOP plan would be for the millions of people at risk of losing insurance.

And btw that's terrible that you know that Obamacare is not perfect yet don't propose any meaningful legislation that would make the situation better.

i rather rip da band-aid off & start over.

Obamacare is finito, da political calculations that should be discussed is who's gonna take da L if da GOP can't repeal it. (hint...da dems looking bad for that)

da only GOP folks who's taking a L are folks who baulked at voting for a clean repeal after da identical bill was voted on in 2015 (primary road kill in da midterms.)

Democrats only win card is them allowing da GOP to tinker with healthcare and hope it screws up on their watch after their fingerprints are on it.

as is right now, GOP still on offense, but they need to complete a pass in da red zone, not fumble on da 1 yard line.

Ninja do you have health insurance? I'm fully not expecting an answer, just want to see where this goes.

its Democrats fault if Obamacare ultimately fails under its own weight, its Republicans fault for not passing a repeal, if it gets to that point.

Obamacare is finito, da political calculations that should be discussed is who's gonna take da L if da GOP can't repeal it. (hint...da dems looking bad for that)

da only GOP folks who's taking a L are folks who baulked at voting for a clean repeal after da identical bill was voted on in 2015 (primary road kill in da midterms.)

Democrats only win card is them allowing da GOP to tinker with healthcare and hope it screws up on their watch after their fingerprints are on it.

as is right now, GOP still on offense, but they need to complete a pass in da red zone, not fumble on da 1 yard line.
First off the whole band aid on a bullet wound analogy is just signs that you dont understand what obama care did. It guaranteed healthcare for people who couldnt afford it and were denied it in the past. So now more people have healthcare than before. Is it perfect no. Could it use work, Yes. That is what Republicans and Dems should be working on. Repeal and Replace would have been worse which is why it didnt even go up for a vote. And Repeal only would have caused 32 million to lose their healthcare. If you think Dems are going to be blamed by those who trusted republicans to make healthcare in this country better and didnt by not coming through on their promises your not paying attention. Take peoples healthcare away or make it worse and I guarantee you they will blame the person who took it away and not the person who gave it to them in the first place. GOP is looking like a party in crisis when they have all of the power and cant get a major promise to their constituents done. The simple fact that our president is out here saying let 32 million people lose their healthcare by repeal bill is astonishing.

How can you talk about ripping the band aid off and starting over on something that doesn't even affect you?

After losing my job after a hospital stint and the insurance with it, with the regular visits and meds I had to take during recovery i'm pretty sure the ACA saved my life. It's more than a political talking point for the people that actually use it, it's real life. Just say you don't understand it and shut your goofy *** up and stop regurgitating nonsense.

How can you talk about ripping the band aid off and starting over on something that doesn't even affect you?

it doesn't effect da vaaaaast majority of Americans because da majority get their insurance thru their employer.

Obamacare da way its stands now WILL start to effect people who already have insurance thru their employer because of certain taxes, regulations, and insurance companies dropping coverage will leave people to depend on exchanges that don't even exist in some states.

it doesn't effect da vaaaaast majority of Americans because da majority get their insurance thru their employer.

Obamacare da way its stands now WILL start to effect people who already have insurance thru their employer because of certain taxes, regulations, and insurance companies dropping coverage will leave people to depend on exchanges that don't even exist in some states.
you do know that coverage through employers can still be ACA right? Many people dont understand this and dont know they have it.

So your company provided, gov't subsidized health insurance premiums will continue to increase as they always have?

Do you understand that healthcare isn't that easy to fix and takes time? What you're proposing would be a disaster of epic proportions if you don't have a set system. Starting from scratch with a "free market" would be a huge loss for people of low and middle income, sick, and elderly and even for insurers since they would need to recalibrate costs of preparing for potentially changing legislation. Thank god you're not an actual policy maker.

Back
Top Bottom