***Official Political Discussion Thread***

man, **** this guy

man, **** this guy
A763B564-912A-4C9C-A34D-A222074E425B.jpeg

25-35%,

It gonna be a bloodbath.

March jobs reports comes out on Friday. I am sure @dwalk31 will be the first to post it.

I will defer to you since I believe economics is your speciality but I’m going to kinda question.

We are realistically in week 2 of the USA taking this seriously. China is going on month 4 of mandatory lockdowns. Even if you’re optimistic and say the Lockdowns are done by Summer. Do you really think those jobs are coming back by the early Fall?

Enough to where it’s not a strong talking point that foreigners brought this situation to the USA and now we are letting them take our jobs when unemployment is really high?

People voted along lines of racial anxiety and the economy wasn’t doing bad.

Bruh I hate United so much. So airlines long dropped the great customer service, nickel and dime their customers, reduced comfort, underpay their employees, yet still can't afford to remain afloat without cashflow for a month. They should have just let the failing companies die and let the industry rebuild itself under a sensible model, because this clearly doesn't work.

United and American Airlines are two companies I would not be sad to see go.

I was traveling internationally for work like a month ago. One of my jets on a connecting flight had at most 10 people on board.

31D75ABC-DB00-4BF7-A07B-1A54749D5CE8.jpeg

My work booking site won’t let me choose seat for connecting flights less than two hours so I got stuck in American’s assigned seating. Of course with a plane of 10 people they loaded up pretty much everyone in the last 4 aisles. I asked the American flight attendant if I could move to an exit row that was completely empty. The response was “that wouldnt be fair to the customers who paid for those seats.”

so we all sat next to each other for awhile until the guy in front of me said **** it and decided to move up to comfort plus without asking. Since his row was empty I moved to his seat. After about 5 minutes, the flight attendant forced him back into the seat I was in then forced me back to sit next to this gigantor when 90% of the seats were completely empty. Like I get being fair to the customers who paid an extra $30 for a ****ing seat, but at what point is the plane so god damn empty that it doesn’t matter any more?

It was at that point I’ve never hoped a company fails more than American.

United and American Airlines are two companies I would not be sad to see go.

I was traveling internationally for work like a month ago. One of my jets on a connecting flight had at most 10 people on board.

31D75ABC-DB00-4BF7-A07B-1A54749D5CE8.jpeg

My work booking site won’t let me choose seat for connecting flights less than two hours so I got stuck in American’s assigned seating. Of course with a plane of 10 people they loaded up pretty much everyone in the last 4 aisles. I asked the American flight attendant if I could move to an exit row that was completely empty. The response was “that wouldnt be fair to the customers who paid for those seats.”

so we all sat next to each other for awhile until the guy in front of me said **** it and decided to move up to comfort plus without asking. Since his row was empty I moved to his seat. After about 5 minutes, the flight attendant forced him back into the seat I was in then forced me back to sit next to this gigantor when 90% of the seats were completely empty. Like I get being fair to the customers who paid an extra $30 for a ****ing seat, but at what point is the plane so god damn empty that it doesn’t matter any more?

It was at that point I’ve never hoped a company fails more than American.

Da Gigantor or Humangasour as Benjamin 10 would call that person was probably a deep state lib plant that was assigned to ruin your flight.

I will defer to you since I believe economics is your speciality but I’m going to kinda question.

We are realistically in week 2 of the USA taking this seriously. China is going on month 4 of mandatory lockdowns. Even if you’re optimistic and say the Lockdowns are done by Summer. Do you really think those jobs are coming back by the early Fall?

Enough to where it’s not a strong talking point that foreigners brought this situation to the USA and now we are letting them take our jobs when unemployment is really high?

People voted along lines of racial anxiety and the economy wasn’t doing bad.
Not all the jobs will be back by the fall. I even think the economy being completely open again by fall is optimistic. But as soon as the economy opens up the unemployment rate will start to fall gradually, and at first quite drastically too.

The GOP is gonna peddle racist nonsense regardless, but if we are having an adult conversation about this, we must ask what jobs are they taking? The US government doesn't just bring in immigrants in mass to increase labor supply, compete with domestic workers, and fill jobs. Companies request these workers, and sponsor the visa. Workers that come to this country on visa come to fill jobs in areas where they are shortages, even in times of growth.

Biden, a Democrat, trying to play to people's xenophobic tendencies is bad strategy. The modern Democratic party doesn't win at the ballot by appealing to people's regressive nativist tendencies. Progressives and people in the Latino community will be heated over a move like this.

If Biden wants to message to workers, he must tell them that he is the candidate that will bail them out form all the debt the amassed during this downturn. And he just tell them he will spend like crazy to push a jobs program to get people back to work. Stuff that will actually work.

I do my flying with delta for work and even personal and I’ve had a great experience with them the past 4 years.
I do have to use United at times and I dread those flights.
I have only had limited experience with Delta but they have treated me good too, Alaska too. Southwest is what it is so I don't sweat it. I miss Virgin America.

I refuse to fly United, American, and Frontier ever again. And I am never getting my *** on a Spirit flight. **** no.

I will never forget, a few months back the attitude a lady at American gave me for having black luggage after THEY LOST MINE.

Lady: "Wow Everyone has black luggage! Is there at least a sticker or something?"

Me: It's a carry on, you guys forced me to check it and now I am supposed to have the foresight to put a sticker on my carryon?

Lady: :emoji_thinking:

Delta is all that I ride, I am willing to pay the 10-20% premiums they charge.

I will never forget, a few months back the attitude a lady at American gave me for having black luggage after THEY LOST MINE.

Lady: "Wow Everyone has black luggage! Is there at least a sticker or something?"

Me: It's a carry on, you guys forced me to check it and now I am supposed to have the foresight to put a sticker on my carryon?

Lady: :emoji_thinking:

Delta is all that I ride, I am willing to pay the 10-20% premiums they charge.
I remember one time I was flying from JFK to St Lucia, probably like 16 years ago. Our plane was coming from a flight from Central America.

When the plane gets there, the people on the ground thought it had too much fuel for the trip to Lucia, and then back to Miami.

Only issue is that the plane was not going back to Miami after Lucia, it was coming back to JFK. So they took out too much fuel.

2 and a half hours we waited, on board, while they figure out how to rectify the problem, because they didn't know how much fuel to put back.

Then that caused a back up, and then we had to taxi to another location.

They started to give out drinks half way through, but stopped because they didn't have enough drinks to serve people again when they got in the air.

At one point they were talking about changing a direct flight into a layover in Miami, to get the fuel checked by someone down there. (they didn't do this thankfully)

The plane was filled with Lucians and they were all cursing the AA reps out in patois.

There where people celebrating in the streets when Jetblue announced flights down there from JFK. No joke.

My first flight back home on Jetblue, fools were getting on the plane greeting the flights attendants like...
Animation15.gif

Last edited:
Not all the jobs will be back by the fall. I even think the economy being completely open again by fall is optimistic. But as soon as the economy opens up the unemployment rate will start to fall gradually, and at first quite drastically too.

The GOP is gonna peddle racist nonsense regardless, but if we are having an adult conversation about this, we must ask what jobs are they taking? The US government doesn't just bring in immigrants in mass to increase labor supply, compete with domestic workers, and fill jobs. Companies request these workers, and sponsor the visa. Workers that come to this country on visa come to fill jobs in areas where they are shortages, even in times of growth.

Biden, a Democrat, trying to play to people's xenophobic tendencies is bad strategy. The modern Democratic party doesn't win at the ballot by appealing to people's regressive nativist tendencies. Progressives and people in the Latino community will be heated over a move like this.

If Biden wants to message to workers, he must tell them that he is the candidate that will bail them out form all the debt the amassed during this downturn. And he just tell them he will spend like crazy to push a jobs program to get people back to work. Stuff that will actually work.

As far as I know, immigration is just a not a very big factor when it comes to explaining the fact that wages, for most, have stagnated over the last few decades.

Austerity, union busting and the fact that workers enjoy fewer statutory protections all have far more explanatory power.

Do Keynesian economics, as a matter of policy. Do card check. Raise the minimum wage and change laws related to overtime and wages will go up.

The main change, I would make to H1B visas is to decenter companies and center the workers. Companies cannot claim worker shortages, the BLS should be the one to do that and once someone gets an H1B visa, they should not be bound to their employer. Ostensibly (though of course not in practice), H1B visas are to fill an unmet labor need in particular sectors not particular firms. Once you do get here and have an H1B visa, you should be able to change jobs just the same as a citizen. If firms have to pay more to attract or retain talent, good. They claimed that there is a shortage of workers so they should have to pay more no matter if that talent is native born or is on an H1B visa.

As far as I know, immigration is just a not a very big factor when it comes to explaining the fact that wages, for most, have stagnated over the last few decades.

Austerity, union busting and the fact that workers enjoy fewer statutory protections all have far more explanatory power.

Do Keynesian economics, as a matter of policy. Do card check. Raise the minimum wage and change laws related to overtime and wages will go up.

The main change, I would make to H1B visas is to decenter companies and center the workers. Companies cannot claim worker shortages, the BLS should be the one to do that and once someone gets an H1B visa, they should not be bound to their employer. Ostensibly (though of course not in practice), H1B visas are to fill an unmet labor need in particular sectors not particular firms. Once you do get here and have an H1B visa, you should be able to change jobs just the same as a citizen. If firms have to pay more to attract or retain talent, good. They claimed that there is a shortage of workers so they should have to pay more no matter if that talent is native born or is on an H1B visa.
I completely agree about your point about H1B visas. If a firm is being honest about shortages being their main obstacle to filling a position, then they should not have any problem treating the worker right, and paying them accordingly. I know many firms are bull****ing though. They want to use H1B systems as a way to get cheaper labor and decentivize other workers from unionizing.

-Oh yeah, sidenote, we need to make it easier for make it easier for these workers, and people with students visas, to get green cards. America's immigration system is so *** backwards.

Back
Top Bottom