***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Even if I ignore the democratic party ambitions and just look at it at a local level.

I don't see how adopting unpopular framing does anything to make your community more livable.

like supporting non police first responders, de escalation training, higher police recruitment standard, banning chokeholds,

none of the this requires defunding the police, why adopt the unpopular framing,

1. when defunding isn't necessary to the larger goal
2. lots of research out there says minority communities are under policed as over policed.
When the constant cry from a particular side is “Where are we going to get the money to fund these programs?” and there’s a staunch resistance to slightly raising taxes, then the answer is to reallocate funds that we already have.

Even if I ignore the democratic party ambitions and just look at it at a local level.

I don't see how adopting unpopular framing does anything to make your community more livable.

like supporting non police first responders, de escalation training, higher police recruitment standard, banning chokeholds,

none of the this requires defunding the police, why adopt the unpopular framing,

1. when defunding isn't necessary to the larger goal
2. lots of research out there says minority communities are under policed as over policed.
DUDE, PEOPLE WERE NOT LITERALLY ASKING FOR POLICE TO GO AWAY. THEY WERE ASKING FOR OTHER SOCIAL SERVICES TO ME PROPERLY FUNDED AND FOCUS ON COMMUNITY POLICING AND CRIME DETERRENCE. STOP JUST INFLATING THE POLICE BUDGET AND MAKING THEM DO **** THEY DON'T NEED TO BE INVOLVED WITH.

THE MODEL FOR "DEFUNDING THE POLICE" WAS A CITY THAT AFTER THEY DID IT, POLICE PRESENCE INCREASED BUT THEY DIDN'T INTERACT WITH THE COMMUNITY LIKE THE DID BEFORE.

You are lecturing, yet coming off like you are ignorant of many of the people's demands.

While I can admit that there was a problem with the "defund the police" slogan because it implied something different than what folk were asking for, and it took a lot of extra explaining to make that clear.

You seem to not be fully aware of the policy demands people were actually making to their local legislators.

yah sure ive heard the nuanced reasonable versions of the

like you said a lot of online leftist have run with this slogan
and have basically turned it into defund the police and we can use that money to make all our dreams come true.

the problem to me, is it seems an impossible cycle to avoid. activist slogan get's compressed into unpopular toxic talking point.

that's why I think, as annoying and frustrating as it maybe sound, activist do have to be careful.

DUDE, PEOPLE WERE NOT LITERALLY ASKING FOR POLICE TO GO AWAY. THEY WERE ASKING FOR OTHER SOCIAL SERVICES TO ME PROPERLY FUNDED AND FOCUS ON COMMUNITY POLICING AND CRIME DETERRENCE

THE MODEL FOR "DEFUNDING THE POLICE" WAS A CITY THAT AFTER THEY DID IT, POLICE PRESENCE INCREASED BUT THEY DIDN'T INTERACT WITH THE COMMUNITY LIKE THE DID BEFORE.

You are lecturing, yet coming off like you are ignorant of many of the people's demands.

dude im aware of the nuanced version of the "defund the police argument"

my point is, the un nuanced version is the one most people are going to hear and it's the one that gets pushed on twitter/instagram

1605298465794.png

yah sure ive heard the nuanced reasonable versions of the

like you said a lot of online leftist have run with this slogan
and have basically turned it into defund the police and we can use that money to make all our dreams come true.

the problem to me, is it seems an impossible cycle to avoid. activist slogan get's compressed into unpopular toxic talking point.

that's why I think, as annoying and frustrating as it maybe sound, activist do have to be careful.
And maybe you should be more careful on how you paint an entire group of activists that have been working for decades on enacting reasonable changes because some comments you read from some people online

Just saying

Where would that money come from? Which department receives so much funding that they have to waste money in order to not have funding cut for the next year just to do all over again?

you sound like a Kap knee hater. “Can’t you protest when I want you to??”

cmon man, no one adopted the "defund the police" rhetoric to show fiscal responsibility. :lol:

were not talking about universal healthcare here, they idea that people gotta show how you pay for that is silly.

And maybe you should be more careful on how you paint an entire group of activists that have been working for decades on enacting reasonable changes because some comments you read from some people online

Just saying

I would tell them to pick a better slogan.

otherwise you run the risk of decades or worked being reduced to an unpopular catchphrase.

cmon man, no one adopted the "defund the police" rhetoric to show fiscal responsibility. :lol:

were not talking about universal healthcare here, they idea that people gotta show how you pay for that is silly.
You need to actually read the proposed plans, THEN comment. Literally all your questions and comments have been answered.

or don’t.

lol keep telling yourself that.

if you wanna be in league with idiots I certainly won't stop you.
You might actually be right at home.
I wasn't even trying to be rude but this act of teaching black americans how to handle living with America's brand of racism and white supremacy is becoming very tiring. And instead of listening when people tell you that you're missing things by not living here, you prefer to ignore that in favor of talking down to and about people. Because we're the ones that aren't getting it. You understand things perfectly. It's insulting.

otherwise you run the risk of decades or worked being reduced to an unpopular catchphrase.
What catch phrase would make republicans happy? In fact, who kept that catch phrase alive and made it synonymous with antifa and BLM?

Maybe you should have just said this from the jump

And left out all the other extra ****

You claimed to have heard the "nuanced" explanation, but you put a lot of damn energy into acting like only the literal definition "defund the police" was being demanded

If your position is mainly informed by what you read on social media, then maybe just maybe you don't have the full picture.

Look I think we can all agree,

If "defund the police" to you means

more social workers, more police accountability, more training, higher standards, less for profit policing, more actual solving crimes than I support you.

but let's also agree the slogan is bad.

because to me that line up of demands taken literally sounds like "Fund the police"

I wasn't even trying to be rude but this act of teaching black americans how to handle living with America's brand of racism and white supremacy is becoming very tiring. And instead of listening when people tell you that you're missing things by not living here, you prefer to ignore that in favor of talking down to and about people. Because we're the ones that aren't getting it. You understand things perfectly. It's insulting.

it's the politics thread.

these are my opinions on how one should do politics.

if there is some specific factual concerns that im missing feel free to inform me,

but fallacious appeals to authority are uncompelling.

While I can admit that there was a problem with the "defund the police" slogan because it implied something different than what folk were asking for, and it took a lot of extra explaining to make that clear.

You seem to not be fully aware of the policy demands people were actually making to their local legislators.

no shots at anyone but I think that's the first thing people just needs to admit to progress this convo. it's a catchy slogan that is misleading & confuses a lot of people lol.

Partially defund the police
Reallocate the fund of the police

Back
Top Bottom