***Official Political Discussion Thread***

So Obama got his phone tapped and had half the country unemployed, while offering no evidence or any type of support whatsoever. Seems legit.

This Russia stuff prob won't result in Trump getting impeached. The earliest chance we'll have to get him out is in 2020 unfortunately.

Gaining the majority in either chamber of congress in 2018 will put a serious damper on his administration for the remainder of his term, but I think it is too far away to recover from the damage that he will inflict on the country.

If he stays in place long enough to see his policies go into effect, consider the next 10-15 years lost in terms of stability and prosperity.

Last edited:
my worry is he somehow holds on to the house and Senate by implementing some shady vote manipulation/voter intimidation/etc. we end up with 8 years of hell or worse.

they are working round the clock to game the system. showing up to vote in 2018 may not be enough. we had an easy way out in November and we blew it.

http://shareblue.com/gop-just-gave-federal-contractors-carte-blanche-to-abuse-american-workers/

As Donald Trump and the GOP focused their attention this week on their harmful plan to repeal Obamacare, Senate Republicans voted, without fanfare and with minimal media attention, to eliminate the Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces rule signed by President Barack Obama in 2014, which protected workers employed by federal contractors from wage theft, unsafe working conditions, and other unlawful and harmful actions.

http://www.govexec.com/oversight/20...al-obama-fair-pay-safe-workplace-rule/135939/

Kamala Harris‏Verified account
@SenKamalaHarris

Follow More
Not to be missed: Senate Republicans just quietly eliminated the Fair Pay & Safe Workplaces order.
RETWEETS
10,581 LIKES 7,659
5:25 PM - 6 Mar 2017

58c19e461e00003f0077ecf6.jpeg

A bill in Congress could make it harder for workers to keep employers from getting access to their personal medical and genetic information and raise the financial penalties for those who opt out of workplace wellness programs.

House Republicans are proposing legislation aimed at making it easier for companies to gather genetic data from workers and their families, including their children, when they collect it as part of a voluntary wellness program.

The bill, the Preserving Employee Wellness Programs Act, introduced by Representative Virginia Foxx, a Republican from North Carolina and the chairwoman of the House Committee on Education and the Workforce, would also significantly increase the financial costs faced by someone who does not join a company wellness program.
:smh:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/10/health/workplace-wellness-programs-health-genetic-data.html
They really putting forth a bill called the PEWP Act? 12 year old me would be dying laughing right now.

out of the darkness, a glimmer of hope for humanity: http://www.seeker.com/elon-musk-jus...alias-electric-woes-in-100-da-2309721086.html

With energy blackouts and price spikes plaguing South Australia, Tesla Inc. chief executive Elon Musk is betting that his company can quickly solve the problem — or he'll hand over $25 million worth of the company's battery packs for free.

Thursday night, in a short back-and-forth on Twitter with Australian software billionaire Mike Cannon-Brookes, Musk confirmed the company's offer was sincere, writing, "Tesla will get the system installed and working 100 days from contract signature or it is free. That serious enough for you?"

Cannon-Brookes responded, "You're on mate. Give me 7 days to try and sort out politics & funding."

Intense heat waves, made more likely by human-driven climate change, have scorched Australia this year, with temperatures regularly topping 100 degrees Fahrenheit. That has stressed the province's power infrastructure, causing energy demand to spike, supplies to dwindle, and a major blackout to occur last month.

wonder how jealous trump is that he doesn't have that kind of money himself?

edit: pewp act? you can't make this up.

Last edited:
So, I have an added perspective today.

I've spent most of the last 24 hours in hospital with my middle child. Turned out to be appendicitis. He was seen in the kid's er at lunchtime yesterday, admitted to a ward in the afternoon and had surgery a few hours later.

And do you know how often we were asked about payment details? Never! Didn't even come up - the only questions were to ascertain identity for safety and to confirm it before surgery etc.

I'm currently sitting in a ward with some really sick looking children and the last thing their parents would need at this time is added stress about how they're going to pay for treatment.

I've spent time in er in the US over the years too - and in the time it took us to see the triage nurse and then sent back to see a doctor we would still have been waiting to sort out insurance details.

Sure, some people in the waiting area weren't happy - they were complaining that they had been waiting longer than others, and clearly ignoring the big signs saying that patients are admitted on clinical priority not in chronological order - but that's ridiculous to anyone with half a brain.

A marker of any mature society should be how we treat these vulnerable people - and education is the same, should we just leave the less smart kids behind? It's a travesty that at the lowest point in someone's life they either have the stress of worrying about it or worse.

kdawg kdawg

Many months ago, I posted in this thread a video of a woman who died at the steps of a hospital while pregnant with twins. She had been kicked out of the facility because she couldn't afford to pay to give birth. While she was dying, her sister tried to open her womb to save the fetuses (outside the hospital, on the sidewalk). The authorities initially arrested her and wanted to charge her for performing a procedure she wasn't qualified to do, but they faced international shame when the video circulated on social media, got picked up and reported on by Western media outlets, and grabbed the attention of human rights organizations.

It happened in the country I grew up in, and it is not isolated: there are no socialized healthcare programs of any kind, so people either rely on wealthy family members or aquaintances to pay for medical treatment. The enforcement of malpractice laws is limited, so patients are not well protected, and doctors are picked pretty much like cab drivers: if you find a good one, keep him/her. People self medicate a lot instead of going to the doc (no money/trust in doctors), they die of easily preventable/curable diseases, kids (yes kids) sell medicine by the pill on the street, and most health indicators are awful. Life expectancy is 55 y.o.; every month my pops is attending at least one funeral. I've lost my aunt due to improper emergency care: she was hit by a car and bled to death in the ER even though she could have paid for everything. For days, nobody even notified her adult children, and suing the hospital for neglect is not going to go anywhere.

Education is similar. The public system is anemic; only elementary school is free. Past that (when kids are 11-12 y.o.), parents pay the tuition out of pocket. Public schools are way cheaper (ten times cheaper than private schools on average), but they suffer from overcrowding, poorly paid teachers, rampant corruption (private schools are not exempt from that either). There are no free lunches at all, so if you came to school hungry because your parents can't give you lunch money and there's only enough for one meal/day, you rely on the generosity of your classmates to share their meal with you. No yellow buses either, so kids as young as 7 y.o. often walk kilometers to and from school unattended. The ones you see selling candy, fruits, veggies, and peanuts on the side of the road in the middle of the school year are those whose parents couldn't afford to educate them.

This is the kind of society the GOP is building with their ******** agenda of no regulations, no regulatory bodies, and no social safety net. Having lived in a version of their ideal society, I'm not to keen on doing that again as an adult.

The one thing that will really force republicans to think twice about their slavish support of trump is John Ossoff winning the 6th congressional district in april.

so if you are american, and you want to stop trump, forget the russia stuff, donate to Jon ossoff and if you live in georgia in his district, go vote for him.

Russia conspiracies will not save you.

Because having a hot meal and keeping food from spoiling should be luxuries (especially when you save money by minimizing the number of trips to the grocery store and fast food joint).

That's why I don't feel bad about calling out the evil of GOP voters.

here's trump showing us all how great Obama was:

i hate him.
All this tells me is people feel like they can spend like they did in 2006 and 2007 and bankers who didn't learn their lesson the first time have people right where they need them to crash the market and cake up on cheap investment again.

I remember this time last week it was lit and impeachment was around the corner :\

It's never been around the corner,dude has been in office just 50 days :lol:

Even with more and more Russia links being found out each week,it doesn't mean much with the GOP controlling everything. They'll stay at his side trying to push their agenda until he becomes politically toxic,whenever that may be. That's the only way impeachment becomes realistic with a GOP majority in power.

Until then,Dems taking back the house and/or senate should be the key. Let the intelligence community and media cook on the Russia stuff in the meantime, they're bound to continue uncovering more dirt. There's too much smoke already for it to be some far out "conspiracy" especially when the signs have been there since the campaign season, this story is gonna stick around a good while so there shouldn't be a rush for Dems to overplay their cards.

The most Dems can do regarding that issue right now is remain steadfast in their demands for an independent, special prosecutor to be assigned to the investigation.

Last edited:
The democrats have access to a much larger base just off the fact that the wealth gap is widening and more people will be needing help because of GOP policies. They just need to unify behind a simple, accessible, message to reach those who don't want to pay attention. That should include the inconsistencies of the policies from the Right.

Messaging is the most important vulnerability of the democrat party and the most difficult thing to address because of the willingness of the would-be democrat voter to question what they're told.
C6popaDV0AQDzt1.jpg:orig

I wonder why it has majority approval now...

Because people are waking up to the fact that they were lied to, which should have been obvious to more people if the Dems hadn't neglected the reality that their message is not easily digestible.

The democrats have access to a much larger base just off the fact that the wealth gap is widening and more people will be needing help because of GOP policies. They just need to unify behind a simple, accessible, message to reach those who don't want to pay attention. That should include the inconsistencies of the policies from the Right.

Messaging is the most important vulnerability of the democrat party and the most difficult thing to address because of the willingness of the would-be democrat voter to question what they're told.
C6popaDV0AQDzt1.jpg:orig

I wonder why it has majority approval now...

Because people are waking up to the fact that they were lied to, which should have been obvious to more people if the Dems hadn't neglected the reality that their message is not easily digestible.

At the end of the day you have to realize that a majority of white america still hates people of other color and no matter how much they'll struggle that will still be their number one issue. I see it at work in a corporate environment. I don't even bother trying to challenge people anymore because it just falls on deaf ears.

The psychology of hate is so weird to me. You effectively oppress, treat them lesser, have a huge advantage in life over a group of people, then treat them like your mortal enemy.

Back
Top Bottom