:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Season Thread [NFC CHAMPIONS]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
no.

every team passed on him not just SFO.

you'd need the right personnel and coaching to cultivate that kind of talent.

The hell is this about?

Jim Harbaugh's relationship with 49ers brass is getting worse
February 23, 2014 9:32 pm ET

INDIANAPOLIS -- Things are not getting better behind the scenes for the San Francisco 49ers. There was a persistent rumble throughout the combine about the extent of the rift between coach Jim Harbaugh and the team's front office. It doesn't seem like it will go away, and there is increasing buzz that the team might have to decide between Harbaugh or GM Trent Baalke.

The men are barely speaking, I'm told, and almost all communication is through email. Harbaugh also has a strained relationship with team president Paraag Marathe, sources said, and he has clashed with many within the organization. It could prove untenable. If anything, the impression I got this week was that the situation there is actually much worse than how it has been portrayed in the media, and helps explain the delay in giving a new deal to the coach, who has two years left on a contract he has outperformed.

Harbaugh has done nothing but reach, at least, the NFC championship game since coming to San Francisco three years ago, and the longer this goes on, the worse it might get. To almost anyone I posited the question to, the response was pretty much the same -- there is no way they can't extend Harbaugh. But then again, in the NFL, you never know.

I've long expected Dolphins owner Stephen Ross to attempt to trade for Harbaugh, and we all know he already tried to hire him before firing a coach in the past. I'm also not surprised that the Browns made an attempt to land him as well, although, from what I have heard of that situation, Cleveland's approach did not get very far. Still, if other teams sense a vulnerability there, they will continue to explore, and it's hard to imagine Harbaugh coaching out a lame-duck year there in 2015 if he hasn't received an extension by then.

This is a matter that will need attention this offseason, one way or the other. When the 49ers landed Harbaugh, his intensity, personality, potential issues getting along with others, etc., were no secret. Some wondered how long it might be before issues arose, with Baalke also very intense and strong-willed himself. If they did in some way move on from him -- via a trade or whatever -- many believe defensive line coach Jim Tomsula would be positioned to slide in.

Perhaps owner Jed York can find a way to make this situation work long term and retain the many talented people he has assembled. He has proven to be a dynamic leader and a problem solver already.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...elationship-with-49ers-brass-is-getting-worse

We've all heard about Trent and Jim not getting along the entire season but if they really can't get on the same page for the draft Jed will need to step in. This !@#$ is getting out of hand. Jed needs to lay down the law and kill all this noise. 

Last edited:
Rather keep Harbaugh than Baalke. Baalke has had some total DUDS in our draft choices especially the whole 2012 draft. And wasn't Jim petitioning HARD for Kaep in the 2nd round? But we NEED to keep both to be successful.

Q looks like he coming back
pimp.gif
That was niners 1st, 2nd, and 3rd priorities
pimp.gif
We'll take it
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Situation between coach and front office is similar to the beef with my bulls head coach and the front office. Hopefully they can get on the same page. Hopefully Harbaugh doesn't get the Marty treatment

Watching the DL in the combine. AD, Jernigan And Booger/the freak all looked real good. Howard Jones, small school guy who'll probably be an olb looked good fast and fluid as well along with D. Lawrence. DaQuan looked a bit stiff out there but decent in the drills. Hageman looked good also. He was moving but was a bit stiff and high in drills.

Last edited:
via ESPNinsider

Latest buzz on Harbaugh-49ers rift
February, 24, 2014
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com

It's clear that there is tension at the top of the San Francisco 49ers franchise. Jim Harbaugh has not received an extension on his contract that runs through 2015, despite the Niners' success under his leadership, and the team reportedly considered trading him to the Cleveland Browns.

It appears that things may reach a breaking point between Harbaugh and the team. CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reported Sunday evening that "there is increasing buzz that the team might have to decide between Harbaugh or GM Trent Baalke."

"The men are barely speaking, I'm told, and almost all communication is through email. Harbaugh also has a strained relationship with team president Paraag Marathe, sources said, and he has clashed with many within the organization. It could prove untenable," La Canfora noted. "If anything, the impression I got this week was that the situation there is actually much worse than how it has been portrayed in the media, and helps explain the delay in giving a new deal to the coach, who has two years left on a contract he has outperformed."

Beyond the Browns, there were rumors connecting Harbaugh to the University of Texas job and La Canfora thinks the Miami Dolphins could be interested in trading for Harbaughat some point. ESPN 49ers reporter Bill Williamson believes that if the team doesn't work out an extension with Harbaugh, rumored connections to other jobs will only grow:

Bill Williamson:
49ers, Harbaugh must come to accord
"These types of things will continue to happen unless there is a contract extension. However, I believe this situation will get resolved. Harbaugh and the 49ers can and will co-exist. The [Browns trade] report stated the coach didn't want to leave the 49ers. He knows this is the best place for him. The 49ers have one of the best rosters in the NFL and he loves coaching quarterback Colin Kaepernick. He also knows 26-year-old franchise quarterbacks are rare. The 49ers, who if Harbaugh did leave would likely strongly consider prompting defensive line coach Jim Tomsula to head coach, also know Harbaugh is special. ... If we get to December and Harbaugh is still months away from his walk year, there will be a lot of teams looking to make a splash in 2015 and ready to make a big trade for Harbaugh. That will not be good for the franchise. The 49ers have a great thing going and Harbaugh is a big reason why. Getting an extension is the only smart solution to ensure stories like this go away."

We had Baalke and Marathe before Harbaugh got here. How did we do? Poorly.

Baalke and Marathe are still on board after Harbaugh got here. How did we do? 3 straight NFC championship games.

Pay Harbaugh. Now.

Before he can get paid Jim and Trent need to sit down and hash things out. They dont have to be friends they just have to coexist and have a working, functional relationship with the team's best interest in-mind.

Last edited:
I'll be damned if our window to win a SB with this current core gets prematurely slammed shut all b/c of this Harbaugh rift w/ the front office :smh:

But don't worry. I ain't gonna turn in my 49ers fan card or anything like that if shiet does hit the fan. I stuck through the Erickson-Nolan-Singletary depression. Can't get any worse than that time period :lol: :x

The struggle of very few deep passes :lol:

Craig Dahl took a pay cut or restructured his contract to $825000

I wonder whose next :nerd: :nerd:

via NinersNation

[COLOR=#red]Trent Baalke talked Frank Gore salary cap questions.[/COLOR]
By David Fucillo @NinersNation
Feb 23 2014

San Francisco 49ers general manager Trent Baalke met with the media earlier this week and discussed numerous topics. I had planned on posting this on Friday, but certain trade rumors popped up out of nowhere and derailed Friday afternoon and Saturday morning!

One interesting topic that came up was the money invested in running backs. Baalke was asked about Frank Gore's contract and the running back situation as a whole. He was asked specifically if the money invested in the position was "reasonable":

"The simple answer is there’s no reason it can’t be. We’re in good shape from a cap standpoint, so the decision on that...there’s really no decision to be made. We can move forward exactly as is, if that’s what we choose to do."
I don't think this really qualifies as a shocking revelation. I suppose he could have said the team might hope to bring down Gore's cap figure, but in reality, they are in a position to take the $6.45 million hit and be done with it. The salary cap estimations continue to climb, with the latest projection up to $132 million.

This would give the 49ers around $12 million in cap space. They can clear more room by releasing Carlos Rogers, or at least forcing him into a pay cut. They can clear even more room with a restructured Frank Gore deal, but I could also see a reason to not re-do the deal. The 49ers long-term situation at running back is up in the air because we don't really know what is up with Marcus Lattimore.

If the 49ers re-did Frank Gore's deal, it would likely result in a two- or three-year extension with a signing bonus replacing much of his current salary. While that would lower Gore's number this year, it would potentially leave the 49ers with future dead money if they decided to part ways with Gore after this season. Instead, maybe they ride out 2014, with Lattimore cutting into Gore's workload. If they're satisfied with Lattimore's work in 2014, then maybe they part ways with Gore in 2015 and turn the workload over to Lattimore and company.

[COLOR=#red]49ers visit with safeties Calvin Pryor, Marqueston Huff[/COLOR]
By David Fucillo @NinersNation
Feb 23 2014

David Manning-USA TODAY Sports
The San Francisco 49ers have met with a pair of safeties at the 2014 NFL Combine. How much can we take from these reports?

The San Francisco 49ers continued their Combine work with more interviews last night. According to Matt Maiocco, the 49ers had a formal interview with Louisville safety Calvin Pryor. According to Turron Davenport, the 49ers met with Wyoming safety Marqueston Huff. It sounds like both had a chance to sit down with the 49ers coaches, including Jim Harbaugh and secondary coach Ed Donatell.

The 49ers will leave the Combine later this week having met with a whole host of players. They will have formal interviews each evening, and informal interviews during drills and workouts. And of course, they'll be able to track what the players are saying during their press conferences.

When the 49ers emerge from the 2014 NFL Draft with their rookie class, it will include a mix of players they have spoken with, players they've observed in person, and players who have no idea the 49ers are interested. All this is to say we can only take so much from a meeting between team and player. Of course, as word on these meetings has spread, there is some chatter from 49ers fans about whether or not this kind of public acknowledgement of meetings is meant as a smoke-screen to throw teams off the 49ers real interest.

It very well could be, but we can't say anything for certain. We get a handle on some of the players with whom the 49ers have chatted, but we also know the draft can be as much a game as anything else. Maybe the 49ers end up grabbing a Pryor or a Huff. Maybe the 49ers don't have any plans whatsoever. It can make your head hurt!

Take it with a grain of salt, I'm pretty sure we didn't even meet with Eric Reid once because we didn't want other teams to know who we were interested in (Seahawks I assume :lol: )

Last edited:
Tim Kawakami is reporting 49ers and Q have come to agreement on terms and that Q is just deciding between taking the 2 year deal or the 3 year deal. Also, he said 49ers are confident they'll resign Donte Whitner.

Tim Kawakami is reporting 49ers and Q have come to agreement on terms and that Q is just deciding between taking the 2 year deal or the 3 year deal. Also, he said 49ers are confident they'll resign Donte Whitner.

Love hearing this.

Whitner makes Eric Reid a better player, he's the ultimate pro. Whit isn't the greatest safety but he is a pretty damn good one, smart player and a very good person for Eric Reid to learn from in terms of preparation, little tricks, nuances and things of that nature.

If they do resign hitner then no need to go after a S early

Depends on how many years imo. If they only give him a 1 year deal then I say they need to draft a safety to be groomed in round 3 or 4. If they give him 2 or 3 years then who knows if they even draft a safety at all and wait until next year.

[QUOTE url="[URL]http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2014/02/24/the-49ers-start-contract-talks-with-colin-kaepernick-and-so-far-so-good-with-a-long-ways-to-go/[/URL]"]
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...ck-and-so-far-so-good-with-a-long-ways-to-go/

it sounds like $15M to $16M is the floor for an average salary here... and would bring Kaepernick near the top echelon of QB salaries.
[/quote]

I think Kap is a hell of a QB, the only thing that concerns me is not being able to afford weapons for him (I'll admit I didn't read the article so correct me if I'm wrong).. we have Iupati, Crabby and Aldon among others to re-sign after next season right?

Back
Top Bottom