Only 47% Percent Of African American Males Graduate Highschool

My favorite thing about all these studies and stats on how terrible we are is, it makes it seem like I must interact with strictly the upper echelon of Black America. I know 3 high school dropouts in my entire lifetime. Then like 80% of us can't read, and 75% have been in jail or some %!+%, but like my experience the #s are always SO far lower, like literally not even the same ballpark.

Anyways, end of the day I feel like a great deal of the problems come down to lack of fathers (less than 25% live in 2 parent homes) and just unfit parents in general. Still, like all of them, seems exaggerated.

Originally Posted by roc4life24

i blame the man.

no but seriously this "too cool for school" attitude has to stop. High school really isnt that hard. I know standardized tests are hindering a few but the others no excuse. Somehow someway these kids have to learn the world is bigger than their city block. The chances of getting paid off a piece of paper is greater than quick "hustles" and the entertainment world.

i mean college is almost free with a above 3.0 hs gpa

Standardized tests for NYC students in hs are the regents and those aren't even hard

Originally Posted by roc4life24

i blame the man.

no but seriously this "too cool for school" attitude has to stop. High school really isnt that hard. I know standardized tests are hindering a few but the others no excuse. Somehow someway these kids have to learn the world is bigger than their city block. The chances of getting paid off a piece of paper is greater than quick "hustles" and the entertainment world.

i mean college is almost free with a above 3.0 hs gpa

Standardized tests for NYC students in hs are the regents and those aren't even hard

Like someone else stated I feel like more than 47% of African American males graduated from my high school. That New York number is too low to believe.

Like someone else stated I feel like more than 47% of African American males graduated from my high school. That New York number is too low to believe.

Originally Posted by newmoanyuh

I never trust or believe statistics.
these stats are played out in society. no need for "belief" when we living it.
the unemployment rate for black males i do believe is 17% need we get into death ,crime rates etc etc?

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

My favorite thing about all these studies and stats on how terrible we are is, it makes it seem like I must interact with strictly the upper echelon of Black America. I know 3 high school dropouts in my entire lifetime. Then like 80% of us can't read, and 75% have been in jail or some %!+%, but like my experience the #s are always SO far lower, like literally not even the same ballpark.

Anyways, end of the day I feel like a great deal of the problems come down to lack of fathers (less than 25% live in 2 parent homes) and just unfit parents in general. Still, like all of them, seems exaggerated.

Ehhh, but i'm from the suburbs of new york, went to both public and private school, an ivy level college, and now getting a law degree, and i can tell you at LEAST a 1/3rd (and that might be an understatement) of my friends and people in my age group growing up, kids of all ethnic backgrounds, either never went to college or dropped out after 1 or 2 years.

As far as high school graduation i'd say that # is more like 90% of people I know graduate, but even then a good 5-10% of those people needed extra years to get through high school
ohwell.gif

So when you factor in the lower-income neighborhoods and the communities where kids at the schools were just doing so poorly the city/county decided there was no point even leaving them open (Roosevelt, Long Island) I can see the 47% being accurate.

There are schools were only about a quarter of seniors graduate on time.

Originally Posted by newmoanyuh

I never trust or believe statistics.
these stats are played out in society. no need for "belief" when we living it.
the unemployment rate for black males i do believe is 17% need we get into death ,crime rates etc etc?

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Ehhh, but i'm from the suburbs of new york, went to both public and private school, an ivy level college, and now getting a law degree, and i can tell you at LEAST a 1/3rd (and that might be an understatement) of my friends and people in my age group growing up, kids of all ethnic backgrounds, either never went to college or dropped out after 1 or 2 years.

As far as high school graduation i'd say that # is more like 90% of people I know graduate, but even then a good 5-10% of those people needed extra years to get through high school
ohwell.gif

So when you factor in the lower-income neighborhoods and the communities where kids at the schools were just doing so poorly the city/county decided there was no point even leaving them open (Roosevelt, Long Island) I can see the 47% being accurate.

There are schools were only about a quarter of seniors graduate on time.

wow so less than half graduate? thats crazy

only 9% of 8th graders not being on the proper reading level is absolutely ridiculous

wow so less than half graduate? thats crazy

only 9% of 8th graders not being on the proper reading level is absolutely ridiculous

Just makes it easier for me to receive financial aid when I go to college...

Just makes it easier for me to receive financial aid when I go to college...

ehh don't feel bad or not surprised. Everyone has their own responsibility to do well. Everyone has the opportunity to do great things

ehh don't feel bad or not surprised. Everyone has their own responsibility to do well. Everyone has the opportunity to do great things

Originally Posted by Gucci Mane

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by Gucci Mane

Are you black?

curious, why do you ask?

Are you? Because I'm sick of non-black people posting bogus negative studies that supposedly represent all black people.

laugh.gif

Anyways, I was a child development/english double major in college.  We had to conduct statistical studies like this all the time, while 47% and 28% are the most extreme results I've personally seen, I will say the numbers are pretty in line with our findings and a lot of other studies.

I want to see the actual stats from the study though, the schools involved, and the years the study was conducted over.

Jeffrey Canada is legit guys.  If he was involved, then it's not b.s.

it all starts at home.

im black. but of course growin up with one parent who graduated from an ivy league college and one who graduated from medical school then raisin a family growin up in a nice neighborhood in CT makes a big difference

matter fact i dont think none of the black dudes on NT really grew up rough.......maybe a few small %, but most on here seem pretty cultured or had a better oppt. to begin with.

same for the white, asian and latino NTrs............

i consider myself lucky cuz on both sides of my fam i got folks on total opposite ends of the spectrum...............jail, dead, felons, babies.......no education.

Back
Top Bottom