Only 47% Percent Of African American Males Graduate Highschool

Originally Posted by Gucci Mane

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Are you black?

curious, why do you ask?

Are you? Because I'm sick of non-black people posting bogus negative studies that supposedly represent all black people.

laugh.gif

Anyways, I was a child development/english double major in college.  We had to conduct statistical studies like this all the time, while 47% and 28% are the most extreme results I've personally seen, I will say the numbers are pretty in line with our findings and a lot of other studies.

I want to see the actual stats from the study though, the schools involved, and the years the study was conducted over.

Jeffrey Canada is legit guys.  If he was involved, then it's not b.s.

it all starts at home.

im black. but of course growin up with one parent who graduated from an ivy league college and one who graduated from medical school then raisin a family growin up in a nice neighborhood in CT makes a big difference

matter fact i dont think none of the black dudes on NT really grew up rough.......maybe a few small %, but most on here seem pretty cultured or had a better oppt. to begin with.

same for the white, asian and latino NTrs............

i consider myself lucky cuz on both sides of my fam i got folks on total opposite ends of the spectrum...............jail, dead, felons, babies.......no education.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Originally Posted by LetItShine24

ehh don't feel bad or not surprised. Everyone has their own responsibility to do well. Everyone has the opportunity to do great things

laugh.gif
roll.gif
Whats so funny? Maybe because you fall into the category as a loser and a no life? Probably...

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

ehh don't feel bad or not surprised. Everyone has their own responsibility to do well. Everyone has the opportunity to do great things

laugh.gif
roll.gif
Whats so funny? Maybe because you fall into the category as a loser and a no life? Probably...

i hate when people say this...

do some of you realize there are kids who go to school just to eat? and i'm not just talking black kids. Look at the Wire, Wallace was taking care of his younger siblings getting them to school, Mike the same thing. Dookie or whatever didnt have @+@*.  Thats the most extreme but there are many kids living like that.

I watched a doc. on some minning town in I think WV and it was a town full of white people but there stories were the same.  Kids taking care of their siblings. Going to school just to get the free/reduce breakfast and lunch.  Of course there are kids who make it out of those situations and kudos to them but I also think its kinda cold hearted to just say "if x can do it so can y".

I volunteer out here at the B&GC and some of these kids just get so angry and frustrated when you ask them to read a sentence b/c they can't read well and they get picked on for it. Then they are diagnosed with anger problems and other things when really from what I've seen they just need someone to sit down and take their time with them. 

To say a CHILD has their own repsonsibility to do well is just stupid IMO.  Most (not all) of us got where we are cuz we had some type of support system.  Some kids don't have that PROPER support system and they fall through the cracks and thats just really sad.

do some of you realize there are kids who go to school just to eat? and i'm not just talking black kids. Look at the Wire, Wallace was taking care of his younger siblings getting them to school, Mike the same thing. Dookie or whatever didnt have @+@*.  Thats the most extreme but there are many kids living like that.

I watched a doc. on some minning town in I think WV and it was a town full of white people but there stories were the same.  Kids taking care of their siblings. Going to school just to get the free/reduce breakfast and lunch.  Of course there are kids who make it out of those situations and kudos to them but I also think its kinda cold hearted to just say "if x can do it so can y".

I volunteer out here at the B&GC and some of these kids just get so angry and frustrated when you ask them to read a sentence b/c they can't read well and they get picked on for it. Then they are diagnosed with anger problems and other things when really from what I've seen they just need someone to sit down and take their time with them. 

To say a CHILD has their own repsonsibility to do well is just stupid IMO.  Most (not all) of us got where we are cuz we had some type of support system.  Some kids don't have that PROPER support system and they fall through the cracks and thats just really sad.

i dont feel thats true.

yea some people make it some from nothing but when you dont have the same oppt. to begin with youre at a disadvantage

hell i even see it from my own town with a lot of cats growin up. i know a few ppl who are dead..........few locked up........an plenty of dudes not doing (#+&*$#, or just have a "job" ya know some dead end *&#$# nothin serious. no prestige to it

the cats i know who are doing something had better homes. parents to begin with like myself........it sucks. so yea i feel it starts at home.

im talkin specifically about black males i grew up with, matter fact same for the black females around my way too. a lot of chicks are real content with "CNA" for a career think they doin it

i dont feel thats true.

yea some people make it some from nothing but when you dont have the same oppt. to begin with youre at a disadvantage

hell i even see it from my own town with a lot of cats growin up. i know a few ppl who are dead..........few locked up........an plenty of dudes not doing (#+&*$#, or just have a "job" ya know some dead end *&#$# nothin serious. no prestige to it

the cats i know who are doing something had better homes. parents to begin with like myself........it sucks. so yea i feel it starts at home.

im talkin specifically about black males i grew up with, matter fact same for the black females around my way too. a lot of chicks are real content with "CNA" for a career think they doin it

Are you black?

curious, why do you ask?

Are you? Because I'm sick of non-black people posting bogus negative studies that supposedly represent all black people.

laugh.gif

Anyways, I was a child development/english double major in college.  We had to conduct statistical studies like this all the time, while 47% and 28% are the most extreme results I've personally seen, I will say the numbers are pretty in line with our findings and a lot of other studies.

I want to see the actual stats from the study though, the schools involved, and the years the study was conducted over.

you haven't answered my question?

all the money for schools just so happen to be concentrated elsewhere.

I think for once we need to see what happens if we start putting more money into more urban area schools (similar to what suburban schools receive) and see how it works out... My hunch is that test scores and graduation rates improve by a considerable amount...

all the money for schools just so happen to be concentrated elsewhere.

I think for once we need to see what happens if we start putting more money into more urban area schools (similar to what suburban schools receive) and see how it works out... My hunch is that test scores and graduation rates improve by a considerable amount...

Are you black?

curious, why do you ask?

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

exactly what i mean an i agree with you 100%

know plenty of kids i came up with like this..............bums today or not doin nothin......the minorities i know doing better things had better support around that.

and yea it is very sad

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

exactly what i mean an i agree with you 100%

know plenty of kids i came up with like this..............bums today or not doin nothin......the minorities i know doing better things had better support around that.

and yea it is very sad

Originally Posted by Al Audi

i dont feel thats true.

depending on their family history they might be doing it
ohwell.gif

but i agree...most of the people i know doing the best came from stable homes where they had the support system necessary...those that aren't had alot to go through just to come to school everyday...staying w/fam who only took them in cuz they felt obligated to do so, learning disabilities, money situations
tired.gif

i dont feel thats true.

depending on their family history they might be doing it
ohwell.gif

but i agree...most of the people i know doing the best came from stable homes where they had the support system necessary...those that aren't had alot to go through just to come to school everyday...staying w/fam who only took them in cuz they felt obligated to do so, learning disabilities, money situations
tired.gif

I'm honestly just posting in this thread to get Nat Turner upset but I do agree with what mytmouse just said. I'm just so happy my parents figured out I was smart at an early age and always expected great things out of me. Parenting is the key factor in all of this to me. I just feel bad and sad some times when I step out my Northwestern bubble and see people just not doing anything. It's crazy.

I'm honestly just posting in this thread to get Nat Turner upset but I do agree with what mytmouse just said. I'm just so happy my parents figured out I was smart at an early age and always expected great things out of me. Parenting is the key factor in all of this to me. I just feel bad and sad some times when I step out my Northwestern bubble and see people just not doing anything. It's crazy.

Are you black?

curious, why do you ask?

laugh.gif

because i don't feel i should have to affirm my race to raise a topic of discussion.

Are you black?

curious, why do you ask?

laugh.gif

because i don't feel i should have to affirm my race to raise a topic of discussion.

NAKO if you aint black you got no reason to put your 2 cents in

Because ONLY Black people are able to see the problems in communities and the educational system or point out how they affect Black youth?  Really?
laugh.gif

smh.gif

Because ONLY Black people are able to see the problems in communities and the educational system or point out how they affect Black youth?  Really?
laugh.gif

smh.gif

i don't think thats fair...granted its focused on black men but this is a problem the whole country should be held responsible for b/c it wasn't just black people the delegated the money to the schools or made decisions that effected these kids...

plus i think he is black

black people always try to keep our problems to ourselves and that really hasn't gotten us to far in this education situation

now the lack of black fathers is probably something that only black people can fix

Back
Top Bottom