***PRO-AM/COLLEGE/HS BASKETBALL/AAU PLAYERS CHIME IN..AND ASK THE REF***

Originally Posted by duke4005

That's what I thought. I played DI and NEVER saw this rule enforced but some fool at a rec league blows the whistle? C'mon, home cooking.
IT IS A RULE THAT WAS IMPLEMENTED A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO, I WANT TO SAY 3-4YRS AGO. DO WE ENFORCE NO NOT REALLY WE JUST TELL YOU TO GET BACK ON THE COURT BUT IF YOU ARE CONSISTENTLY DOING ITYEP WE'LL CALL IT. AS FAR AS REC LEAGUES
roll.gif
 YOU WOULD LOVE ME AS A REF CUZ I LET YOU GUYS PLAY...BANG IT OUT I DONT CARE JUST DONT GET STUPID AND HURT EACH OTHER.

THERE ARE SOOO MANY RULES WE LET SLIDE BY CUZ THEY ARE RIDICULOUS TO CALL YET THEY ARE STILL A RULE...NEXT TIME YOU AT THE LINE SHOOTING A FREE THROW...COUNT TO 11 THEN SHOOT..LETS SEE IF THEY PAYING ATTENTION!

Originally Posted by DUMB PIGS

High School boys varisty level bball

2 players (1 blue team, 1 white team)are running after a ball going out of bounds on the baseline. player from the blue team gets possession of the ball while off balance but not travelling or going out of bounds. player on the white team gets in defensive position, facing the player with the ball. before falling out of bounds, the blue team player with the ball jumps away from the white team (over the out of bounds area) and throws the ball off of his opponents face. the ball bounces off his face and then goes out of bounds, last touched by the whte team. whats the call?

i see this happen all the time when its thrown off the opponents leg or hip, but never have i seen it thrown off someones face.

before i say what the refs call was, ill wait for your answer.

Off face, off leg, off hand, no difference. Out on him, whoever or wherever it was touched last.

AS duke4005 STATES YES IT IS OUT OF BOUNDS ON LAST PLAYER TOUCHED NO MATTER WHERE IT TOUCHES THE PLAYER...BUT...IF AN OFFICIAL DEEMS IT AN UNSPORTSMANLIKE ACT HE HAS THE RIGHT TO GIVE OUT A TECH IN THOSE SITUATIONS...LIKE IF HE WAS FALLING OUT OF BOUNDS TURNS AIMS AND SMASHED YOU IN THE FACE INTENTIONALLY YEA I WOULD TEE HIM UP BUT IF YOUR 5'3" HES 6'8" HE JUMPS TURNS AND HITS YOU IN THER FACE IM GOING TO ASSUME HIS DOWNWARD MOTION AND YOUR LACK OF HEIGHT IS WHAT CAUSED THE BALL TO HIT YOU IN THE FACE.

SO JUST IMAGINE ALL THE THINGS THAT GO ON IN OUR MINDS IN THE SPLIT SECOND THAT WE HAVE TO ANALYZE STUFF...SOME REFS CAN PROCESS IT AND REACT TO IT CORRECTLY SOME REFS CANT..NEXT TIME THERE'S A BANG BANG PLAY AND YOU THINK THE REF MISSED IT...B4 GOING OFF ON HIM ASK HIM WHAT HE HAD 1ST IF YOU THINK HE WASNT SINCERE BOUJT HIS REASONING ON A CALL BY ALL MEANS LET HIM HEAR YOU OUT.

2 players (1 blue team, 1 white team)are running after a ball going out of bounds on the baseline. player from the blue team gets possession of the ball while off balance but not travelling or going out of bounds. player on the white team gets in defensive position, facing the player with the ball. before falling out of bounds, the blue team player with the ball jumps away from the white team (over the out of bounds area) and throws the ball off of his opponents face. the ball bounces off his face and then goes out of bounds, last touched by the whte team. whats the call?

i see this happen all the time when its thrown off the opponents leg or hip, but never have i seen it thrown off someones face.

Off face, off leg, off hand, no difference. Out on him, whoever or wherever it was touched last.

AS duke4005 STATES YES IT IS OUT OF BOUNDS ON LAST PLAYER TOUCHED NO MATTER WHERE IT TOUCHES THE PLAYER...BUT...IF AN OFFICIAL DEEMS IT AN UNSPORTSMANLIKE ACT HE HAS THE RIGHT TO GIVE OUT A TECH IN THOSE SITUATIONS...LIKE IF HE WAS FALLING OUT OF BOUNDS TURNS AIMS AND SMASHED YOU IN THE FACE INTENTIONALLY YEA I WOULD TEE HIM UP BUT IF YOUR 5'3" HES 6'8" HE JUMPS TURNS AND HITS YOU IN THER FACE IM GOING TO ASSUME HIS DOWNWARD MOTION AND YOUR LACK OF HEIGHT IS WHAT CAUSED THE BALL TO HIT YOU IN THE FACE.

SO JUST IMAGINE ALL THE THINGS THAT GO ON IN OUR MINDS IN THE SPLIT SECOND THAT WE HAVE TO ANALYZE STUFF...SOME REFS CAN PROCESS IT AND REACT TO IT CORRECTLY SOME REFS CANT..NEXT TIME THERE'S A BANG BANG PLAY AND YOU THINK THE REF MISSED IT...B4 GOING OFF ON HIM ASK HIM WHAT HE HAD 1ST IF YOU THINK HE WASNT SINCERE BOUJT HIS REASONING ON A CALL BY ALL MEANS LET HIM HEAR YOU OUT.

Foul Count:
Is this something you look at and are aware of when you make calls?

I've seen it countless times for decades now. Foul count will be 10 team fouls for Blue team. 3 for yellow. Yellow team is just way more aggressive offensively and getting to the FT line as they penetrate. They have more highly skilled players. Meanwhile the blue team is terrible at defense and deserves all of those 10 fouls.. Yet at some point in the game, I dont know if its crowd influence or coach influence, the foul count starts to even out. For some refs, is this the perfect "cheat sheet" # to look at to create that "balance"? It's like they will say when the games over, " We did a good job. Foul count was about even. FT attempts were close. Nice balanced officiating". Am I wrong with that assumption?

Foul Count:
Is this something you look at and are aware of when you make calls?

I've seen it countless times for decades now. Foul count will be 10 team fouls for Blue team. 3 for yellow. Yellow team is just way more aggressive offensively and getting to the FT line as they penetrate. They have more highly skilled players. Meanwhile the blue team is terrible at defense and deserves all of those 10 fouls.. Yet at some point in the game, I dont know if its crowd influence or coach influence, the foul count starts to even out. For some refs, is this the perfect "cheat sheet" # to look at to create that "balance"? It's like they will say when the games over, " We did a good job. Foul count was about even. FT attempts were close. Nice balanced officiating". Am I wrong with that assumption?

^^WE ARE RATED BY HOW WE CALL A GAME AS WELL AS GAME MGM'T. IN THE BEGINNING OF A GAME I LIKE TO CALL IT TIGHT GET ALL THE HAND CHECKS, REACHING, ILLEGAL SCREENS, AND BLOCK/CHARGE FOULS OUT OF THE WAY SO THE PLAYERS KNOW WHERE WE ARE AT AND IF THEY ARE GOOD ENOUGH TO ADJUST THEY WILL, IF NOT ITS GONNA BE A SHORT NIGHT FOR THEM

GAME MGM'T FALLS UNDER HOW WE CONTROL THE TEMPO OF THE GAME.. IN YOUR SITUATION..

TEAM A HAS 10 FOULS
TEAM B HAS 3 FOULS

TEAM B IS THE BETTER TEAM FROM WHAT YOU ARE SAYING AND TEAM A CAN'T HOLD THEM. DO WE MAKE UP FOULS TO EVEN OUT THE COUNT YES AND NO.

YES WE DO BUT WE STOP CALLING FOULS ON THE TEAM THAT CAN'T PLAY DEFENSIVE UNLESS THEY START HAMMERING THE PLAYER THUS GIVING THE OTHER TEAM THE OPPORTUNITY TO SLIP AND NOT PLAY "D" PROPERLY SO WE CAN GET A FOUL.

WOULD WE MAKE UP A FOUL TO EVEN IT OUT? YEA SOME FOOLS DO...BUT WHY WOULD YOU WANNA STOP THE GAME FOR A TICKY TACK FOUL??

I NORMALLY TELL PLAYERS TO MAN UP AND TAKE THE HIT. YOU ARE IN COLLEGE NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK IS GONNA HAPPEN IN THE LEAGUE?
OR IF THEY IN HS I'LL SAY "YOU NOT GETTING THAT CALL IN COLLEGE EITHER SO MAN UP"

EITHER WAY COACHES AND PLAYERS ARE NEVER SATISFIED.

^^WE ARE RATED BY HOW WE CALL A GAME AS WELL AS GAME MGM'T. IN THE BEGINNING OF A GAME I LIKE TO CALL IT TIGHT GET ALL THE HAND CHECKS, REACHING, ILLEGAL SCREENS, AND BLOCK/CHARGE FOULS OUT OF THE WAY SO THE PLAYERS KNOW WHERE WE ARE AT AND IF THEY ARE GOOD ENOUGH TO ADJUST THEY WILL, IF NOT ITS GONNA BE A SHORT NIGHT FOR THEM

GAME MGM'T FALLS UNDER HOW WE CONTROL THE TEMPO OF THE GAME.. IN YOUR SITUATION..

TEAM A HAS 10 FOULS
TEAM B HAS 3 FOULS

TEAM B IS THE BETTER TEAM FROM WHAT YOU ARE SAYING AND TEAM A CAN'T HOLD THEM. DO WE MAKE UP FOULS TO EVEN OUT THE COUNT YES AND NO.

YES WE DO BUT WE STOP CALLING FOULS ON THE TEAM THAT CAN'T PLAY DEFENSIVE UNLESS THEY START HAMMERING THE PLAYER THUS GIVING THE OTHER TEAM THE OPPORTUNITY TO SLIP AND NOT PLAY "D" PROPERLY SO WE CAN GET A FOUL.

WOULD WE MAKE UP A FOUL TO EVEN IT OUT? YEA SOME FOOLS DO...BUT WHY WOULD YOU WANNA STOP THE GAME FOR A TICKY TACK FOUL??

I NORMALLY TELL PLAYERS TO MAN UP AND TAKE THE HIT. YOU ARE IN COLLEGE NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK IS GONNA HAPPEN IN THE LEAGUE?
OR IF THEY IN HS I'LL SAY "YOU NOT GETTING THAT CALL IN COLLEGE EITHER SO MAN UP"

EITHER WAY COACHES AND PLAYERS ARE NEVER SATISFIED.

Originally Posted by bigsupa

thats what my understanding of it was too.  The ref, in this situation did call a tech on the guy who threw the ball.  both players were about the same height.  Im assuming the ref saw this as an unsportsmanlike play.

One more opinion about this type of situation...  Is it sportsmanlike to throw the ball off someone as hard as you can in order for it to go out of bounds so you can retain possession? Or has that become (or has it always been) accepted as an acceptable play?  I understand being off balanced or being trapped where you have to try and make a wld attempt to pass/throw the ball to one of your other team mates and accidentally hit someone with the ball but is that the same as intentionally pegging the opposition with the ball with hopes that it goes out of bounds? I know in the rules that the last person who touched the ball....but the situation purposely created, is that considered sportsmanlike?  I think im being to ticky tack now.

thats what my understanding of it was too.  The ref, in this situation did call a tech on the guy who threw the ball.  both players were about the same height.  Im assuming the ref saw this as an unsportsmanlike play.

One more opinion about this type of situation...  Is it sportsmanlike to throw the ball off someone as hard as you can in order for it to go out of bounds so you can retain possession? Or has that become (or has it always been) accepted as an acceptable play?  I understand being off balanced or being trapped where you have to try and make a wld attempt to pass/throw the ball to one of your other team mates and accidentally hit someone with the ball but is that the same as intentionally pegging the opposition with the ball with hopes that it goes out of bounds? I know in the rules that the last person who touched the ball....but the situation purposely created, is that considered sportsmanlike?  I think im being to ticky tack now.

Bunch of questions. I really want to ask these to an NBA official since that's who they relate to most as far as what I see but I'd like your take as well

1. Do you get mad when player's flop and you notice it? I mean, it's really an affront to your intelligence as an official really, they're essentially trying to trick you. Take this one Obviously the ref fell for it, but if I'm a ref who didn't, at some point I'm looking at Robert Horry differently and henceforth, 50/50 calls, you're not getting. Which brings me to my next question, is a pet peeve of mine and JVG addressed it here,

2. Do you watch tape and study teams/players prior to officiating them? I mean it makes no sense everybody and their mom knows Manu, Raja, CP3, Varajeo, etc. are flops yet refs continue to buy it. I mean, I'm not saying you just from now on assume everything involving them is fake and give them no calls, but at the same time you don't give them the same courtesy you would with anyone else where you say, ok he just fell down, Boozer is there, deductive reasoning; Boozer pushed him. A little bit of scouting and pregame work and you can say to yourself and the team, "Look, Manu is a flop artist. If you see him fall, jerk his head back, and do a spinning torpedo flip into the grounds, let's not just ASSUME there was contact from the nearest player of the opposition. Make sure you see it before you call that," <-- which should really be the case anyways with everybody but particularly with those type of guys.

3.What's your thoughts on "drawing fouls" as opposed to actually trying to make a legitimate scoring attempt and getting fouled? Now I'm talking about Dwyane Wade's infamous 2006 finals performance, Paul Pierce is famous for it (he also travels when he does which makes it worse), Kevin Durant and Tim Duncan with the rip through move, Corey Maggette, Kevin Martin and their find the nearest defender to throw myself into antics even if they have a free lane, etc. On one hand, if you get pump faked and as the defender close out somewhat out of control and jump forward, then yes you have broken your own vertical plane and it should be a foul. However, the offensive player lunging forward to make sure of contact is also doing the same thing and in my eyes if I'm a ref, I'm shaking my head no like "you weren't even trying to score there." I remember someof the worst, I've seen Nick Van Exel pump fake Malik Rose, who thought he was clever and run past NVE then jumped from behind him to the other side of behind him and NVE literally jumped backwards to make tht contact. To me, that's no foul or I'm really going to make you made and call offensive. Neither of you were vertical so I'm throwing that part of the rule out the window, you weren't really shooting a shot, you'd never shoot like that, you just wanted to make a foul and get to the line. But that is also close to how I play, very few calls, so I'd ref the same. You'd either love me or hate me because I'd be an advantage/disadvantage, let'em play type of ref.

4. What do you think about NBA officiating overall? Any particular guys/Violet Palmer that you like/dislike or particular calls you don't like how they handle? Another one is the small/big pick and roll and the ball handler comes off the screen and literally runs right into the hedging big man's knee all the time and they call that a blocking foul. I hate that call so much.

Bunch of questions. I really want to ask these to an NBA official since that's who they relate to most as far as what I see but I'd like your take as well

1. Do you get mad when player's flop and you notice it? I mean, it's really an affront to your intelligence as an official really, they're essentially trying to trick you. Take this one Obviously the ref fell for it, but if I'm a ref who didn't, at some point I'm looking at Robert Horry differently and henceforth, 50/50 calls, you're not getting. Which brings me to my next question, is a pet peeve of mine and JVG addressed it here,

2. Do you watch tape and study teams/players prior to officiating them? I mean it makes no sense everybody and their mom knows Manu, Raja, CP3, Varajeo, etc. are flops yet refs continue to buy it. I mean, I'm not saying you just from now on assume everything involving them is fake and give them no calls, but at the same time you don't give them the same courtesy you would with anyone else where you say, ok he just fell down, Boozer is there, deductive reasoning; Boozer pushed him. A little bit of scouting and pregame work and you can say to yourself and the team, "Look, Manu is a flop artist. If you see him fall, jerk his head back, and do a spinning torpedo flip into the grounds, let's not just ASSUME there was contact from the nearest player of the opposition. Make sure you see it before you call that," <-- which should really be the case anyways with everybody but particularly with those type of guys.

3.What's your thoughts on "drawing fouls" as opposed to actually trying to make a legitimate scoring attempt and getting fouled? Now I'm talking about Dwyane Wade's infamous 2006 finals performance, Paul Pierce is famous for it (he also travels when he does which makes it worse), Kevin Durant and Tim Duncan with the rip through move, Corey Maggette, Kevin Martin and their find the nearest defender to throw myself into antics even if they have a free lane, etc. On one hand, if you get pump faked and as the defender close out somewhat out of control and jump forward, then yes you have broken your own vertical plane and it should be a foul. However, the offensive player lunging forward to make sure of contact is also doing the same thing and in my eyes if I'm a ref, I'm shaking my head no like "you weren't even trying to score there." I remember someof the worst, I've seen Nick Van Exel pump fake Malik Rose, who thought he was clever and run past NVE then jumped from behind him to the other side of behind him and NVE literally jumped backwards to make tht contact. To me, that's no foul or I'm really going to make you made and call offensive. Neither of you were vertical so I'm throwing that part of the rule out the window, you weren't really shooting a shot, you'd never shoot like that, you just wanted to make a foul and get to the line. But that is also close to how I play, very few calls, so I'd ref the same. You'd either love me or hate me because I'd be an advantage/disadvantage, let'em play type of ref.

4. What do you think about NBA officiating overall? Any particular guys/Violet Palmer that you like/dislike or particular calls you don't like how they handle? Another one is the small/big pick and roll and the ball handler comes off the screen and literally runs right into the hedging big man's knee all the time and they call that a blocking foul. I hate that call so much.

THROWING THE BALL OFF AN OPPONENT CAN BE CONSIDERED A LEGIT BASKETBALL PLAY...ITS THE LEVEL OF HOW/AND THE BALL IS THROWN THAT WILL DEEM A TECHNICAL...AND NO YOUR NOT BEING TICKY TACKY...THAT'S THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD IS SO YOU GUYS UNDERSTAND OUR POINT OF YOU AND HOPEFULLY IN YOUR NEXT GAME YOU CAN GO IN A BIT MORE EDUCATED...BESIDES BASKETBALL IS ONE OF THE MOST SMARTEST GAMES EVER CREATED...YOU USE 80% MENTAL 20% PHYSICAL!

THROWING THE BALL OFF AN OPPONENT CAN BE CONSIDERED A LEGIT BASKETBALL PLAY...ITS THE LEVEL OF HOW/AND THE BALL IS THROWN THAT WILL DEEM A TECHNICAL...AND NO YOUR NOT BEING TICKY TACKY...THAT'S THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD IS SO YOU GUYS UNDERSTAND OUR POINT OF YOU AND HOPEFULLY IN YOUR NEXT GAME YOU CAN GO IN A BIT MORE EDUCATED...BESIDES BASKETBALL IS ONE OF THE MOST SMARTEST GAMES EVER CREATED...YOU USE 80% MENTAL 20% PHYSICAL!

Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul wrote:

1. Do you get mad when player's flop and you notice it? I mean, it's really an affront to your intelligence as an official really, they're essentially trying to trick you. Take this one httphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ukde193ivM://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ukde193ivM Obviously the ref fell for it, but if I'm a ref who didn't, at some point I'm looking at Robert Horry differently and henceforth, 50/50 calls, you're not getting. Which brings me to my next question, is a pet peeve of mine and JVG addressed it here,

1. AHHH THE ROBERT HORRY FLOP...I LOVE IT AND HATE IT JUST AS MUCH I LOVE IT CUZ ITS FUNNY AS HELL BUT HATE IT CUZ ITS TRICKING DOWN TO THE COLLEGE/HS LEVEL. YOU CAN'T RETALIATE ON A PLAYER CUZ HE "GOT" YOU CUZ GAMES FOR THE MOST PART ARE VIDEOTAPED AND ARE BROKEN DOWN TO CATCH OUR MISTAKES AND AN OBSERVER WILL DEFINATELY CATCH THAT. I USED TO GET CAUGHT BUT THEN I GOT PATIENT WITH MY WHISTLE. BASICALLY WHAT I DO NOW IS EMBARRAS THE PLAYER BY TELLING HIM TO GET UP SOFT ROCK IF I HAVE HAD THE PLAYER FOR A WHILE..NEW GUYS I'LL JUST GO UP TO HIM 1ST CHANCE I GET AT A DEAD BALL AND SAY.."NEXT TIME YOU PULL THAT ISSH ON ME AGAIN IM THROWIN YOU OUT!!!
mad.gif
" THEY TEND TO LISTEN. IT'S REALLY JUST A TECHNICAL FOUL FOR FLOPPING BUT WE CAN ALWAYS ELEVATE THE ISSUE.

2. YOU ARE 100% CORRECT...BUT WE DONT WATCH PREGAME TAPE OR STUDY TEAMS...WE JUST HEAR BY WORD OF MOUTH BY OTHER FELLOW OFFICIALS WHO HAVE WORKED THOSE TEAMS PRIOR OR EVEN IF I HAVE HAD THEM PRIOR. WE NORMALLY HAVE A PREGAME CONFRENECE IN THE LOCKER ROOM B4 WE GO OUT ON TO THE FLOOR. COLLEGE'S REQUIRE US TO BE THERE 90MIN-2HR B4 A GAME TO PREGAME WITH YOUR PARTNER(S) HIGH SCHOOL JUST ASKS FOR 1HR. DURING THIS TIME WE GO OVER SITUATIONS BETWEEN TEAMS LIKE FIGHTS IN THE PAST RIVALRIES SO ON AN SO FORTH. COACHES HO THEY BEHAVE AND WHAT WE ARENT GOING TO TAKE. IF A COACH CHEWS OUT A GUY AND HE DOESNT TEE HIM UP LAST GAME IT IS STRONGLY ENCOURAGED NOT TO THIS GAME AS SOON AS HE OPEN HIS MOUTH. WHAT EVER HAPPENED LAST GAME HAPPENED LAST GAME. REFS WHO GO IN WITH PERSONAL VENDETTA'S AGAINST COACHES OR PLAYER GET A "REP" AMONGST US AND EVENTUALLY WILL GET DROPPED IN THE RANKINGS. LOW RANKINGS = NO PLAYOFF ASSIGNMENTS!!

3. ITS SIMPLE..THE DEFENDER HAS HIS RIGHT TO BE IN HIS SPOT TO PLAY DEFENSE..THE DEFENDER HAS THE RIGHT OF VERTICALITY WHICH MEANS IF YOU CAN STRETCH YOUR ARMS TO REACH THE CEILING OF THE GYM AND THE OFFENSIVE PLAYER DRIVES TO THE HOLE AND MAKES CONTACT WITH YOUR ARMS AND HE FALLS IT RRRREALLY ISNT A FOUL. I STOPPED GIVING PLAYERS FOULS WHEN THEY INITIATE THE CONTACT...ITS UP TO THE DEFENDER TO BE SMART AND PATIENT ENOUGH TO HOLD HIS POSITION.

4. NBA..ITS ENTERTAINMENT...PLAIN AND SIMPLE..IT IS THERE TO ENTERTAIN THE CROWDS, THE PPL WATCHING AT HOME, THE MILLIONS AROUND THE WORLD...ITS A BUISNESS AND THEY HAVE A WAY OF DOING THINGS. SO TO ME EVEN THOUGH ALOT OF GREAT REFS BECOME NBA OFFICIALS ( ZACH ZARBA-WHO IS FROM MY PART OF TOWN) THE GAME GETS WATERED DOWN. ITS GEARED TO ENTERTAIN PEOPLE OF THE MASSES WHO PAY ALL THIS $$ TO WATCH A SHOW PUT ON BY KOBE, LBJ, DWADE, MELO, CP3, DWIGHT, PRETTY MUCH ANY SUPERSTAR...AT THE END OF THE DAY THERE'S A LIL WHITE MAN CONTROLLING IT ALL!!

Spoiler [+]
6a01156f2c3287970c012876524fbb970c-450wi
Spoiler [+]
YOU CANT BE MAD AT THE THIS GUY.. 
Tim_Donaghy.jpg
 FOR WRITING THIS
tim-donaghy-book-cover.jpg
 BUT HE STILL IS A LOW-LIFE FOR BETTING ON HIS GAMES...EVEN THOUGH HE WAS BLACKBALLED FROM THE NBA HE DID OPEN PEOPLES EYES LIKE
0_62_jose_canseco_320.jpg

Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul wrote:

1. Do you get mad when player's flop and you notice it? I mean, it's really an affront to your intelligence as an official really, they're essentially trying to trick you. Take this one httphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ukde193ivM://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ukde193ivM Obviously the ref fell for it, but if I'm a ref who didn't, at some point I'm looking at Robert Horry differently and henceforth, 50/50 calls, you're not getting. Which brings me to my next question, is a pet peeve of mine and JVG addressed it here,

1. AHHH THE ROBERT HORRY FLOP...I LOVE IT AND HATE IT JUST AS MUCH I LOVE IT CUZ ITS FUNNY AS HELL BUT HATE IT CUZ ITS TRICKING DOWN TO THE COLLEGE/HS LEVEL. YOU CAN'T RETALIATE ON A PLAYER CUZ HE "GOT" YOU CUZ GAMES FOR THE MOST PART ARE VIDEOTAPED AND ARE BROKEN DOWN TO CATCH OUR MISTAKES AND AN OBSERVER WILL DEFINATELY CATCH THAT. I USED TO GET CAUGHT BUT THEN I GOT PATIENT WITH MY WHISTLE. BASICALLY WHAT I DO NOW IS EMBARRAS THE PLAYER BY TELLING HIM TO GET UP SOFT ROCK IF I HAVE HAD THE PLAYER FOR A WHILE..NEW GUYS I'LL JUST GO UP TO HIM 1ST CHANCE I GET AT A DEAD BALL AND SAY.."NEXT TIME YOU PULL THAT ISSH ON ME AGAIN IM THROWIN YOU OUT!!!
mad.gif
" THEY TEND TO LISTEN. IT'S REALLY JUST A TECHNICAL FOUL FOR FLOPPING BUT WE CAN ALWAYS ELEVATE THE ISSUE.

2. YOU ARE 100% CORRECT...BUT WE DONT WATCH PREGAME TAPE OR STUDY TEAMS...WE JUST HEAR BY WORD OF MOUTH BY OTHER FELLOW OFFICIALS WHO HAVE WORKED THOSE TEAMS PRIOR OR EVEN IF I HAVE HAD THEM PRIOR. WE NORMALLY HAVE A PREGAME CONFRENECE IN THE LOCKER ROOM B4 WE GO OUT ON TO THE FLOOR. COLLEGE'S REQUIRE US TO BE THERE 90MIN-2HR B4 A GAME TO PREGAME WITH YOUR PARTNER(S) HIGH SCHOOL JUST ASKS FOR 1HR. DURING THIS TIME WE GO OVER SITUATIONS BETWEEN TEAMS LIKE FIGHTS IN THE PAST RIVALRIES SO ON AN SO FORTH. COACHES HO THEY BEHAVE AND WHAT WE ARENT GOING TO TAKE. IF A COACH CHEWS OUT A GUY AND HE DOESNT TEE HIM UP LAST GAME IT IS STRONGLY ENCOURAGED NOT TO THIS GAME AS SOON AS HE OPEN HIS MOUTH. WHAT EVER HAPPENED LAST GAME HAPPENED LAST GAME. REFS WHO GO IN WITH PERSONAL VENDETTA'S AGAINST COACHES OR PLAYER GET A "REP" AMONGST US AND EVENTUALLY WILL GET DROPPED IN THE RANKINGS. LOW RANKINGS = NO PLAYOFF ASSIGNMENTS!!

3. ITS SIMPLE..THE DEFENDER HAS HIS RIGHT TO BE IN HIS SPOT TO PLAY DEFENSE..THE DEFENDER HAS THE RIGHT OF VERTICALITY WHICH MEANS IF YOU CAN STRETCH YOUR ARMS TO REACH THE CEILING OF THE GYM AND THE OFFENSIVE PLAYER DRIVES TO THE HOLE AND MAKES CONTACT WITH YOUR ARMS AND HE FALLS IT RRRREALLY ISNT A FOUL. I STOPPED GIVING PLAYERS FOULS WHEN THEY INITIATE THE CONTACT...ITS UP TO THE DEFENDER TO BE SMART AND PATIENT ENOUGH TO HOLD HIS POSITION.

4. NBA..ITS ENTERTAINMENT...PLAIN AND SIMPLE..IT IS THERE TO ENTERTAIN THE CROWDS, THE PPL WATCHING AT HOME, THE MILLIONS AROUND THE WORLD...ITS A BUISNESS AND THEY HAVE A WAY OF DOING THINGS. SO TO ME EVEN THOUGH ALOT OF GREAT REFS BECOME NBA OFFICIALS ( ZACH ZARBA-WHO IS FROM MY PART OF TOWN) THE GAME GETS WATERED DOWN. ITS GEARED TO ENTERTAIN PEOPLE OF THE MASSES WHO PAY ALL THIS $$ TO WATCH A SHOW PUT ON BY KOBE, LBJ, DWADE, MELO, CP3, DWIGHT, PRETTY MUCH ANY SUPERSTAR...AT THE END OF THE DAY THERE'S A LIL WHITE MAN CONTROLLING IT ALL!!

Spoiler [+]
6a01156f2c3287970c012876524fbb970c-450wi
Spoiler [+]
YOU CANT BE MAD AT THE THIS GUY.. 
Tim_Donaghy.jpg
 FOR WRITING THIS
tim-donaghy-book-cover.jpg
 BUT HE STILL IS A LOW-LIFE FOR BETTING ON HIS GAMES...EVEN THOUGH HE WAS BLACKBALLED FROM THE NBA HE DID OPEN PEOPLES EYES LIKE
0_62_jose_canseco_320.jpg

yo ref
im matching with a dude thats giving up like 40lbs. He drives on me and throws himself at me/goes into me, or tries to get position in the post/pushing. Any situation theres bumping I get called. How is it a foul if Im just stronger than the guy? He cant move me, Am I supposed to back down?

yo ref
im matching with a dude thats giving up like 40lbs. He drives on me and throws himself at me/goes into me, or tries to get position in the post/pushing. Any situation theres bumping I get called. How is it a foul if Im just stronger than the guy? He cant move me, Am I supposed to back down?

^^

THIS APPLIES TO YOU..IF IM 6'1" 180LBS YOU 6'4" 245 ITS OBVIOUS HE ISN'T GONNA BODY YOU...TRY HOLD STILL KEEP YOUR ARMS STRAIGHT UP AND TAKE A CHARGE SEE IF THE REF CALLS IT. IF HE DOESNT ASK HIM THIS.."WAS I NOT IN MY DEFESIVE VERTICAL POSITION?" IF HE HAS NO ANSWER IMMEDIATELY HE'S A BUM!

^^

THIS APPLIES TO YOU..IF IM 6'1" 180LBS YOU 6'4" 245 ITS OBVIOUS HE ISN'T GONNA BODY YOU...TRY HOLD STILL KEEP YOUR ARMS STRAIGHT UP AND TAKE A CHARGE SEE IF THE REF CALLS IT. IF HE DOESNT ASK HIM THIS.."WAS I NOT IN MY DEFESIVE VERTICAL POSITION?" IF HE HAS NO ANSWER IMMEDIATELY HE'S A BUM!

big sup!

gotta question.. happened today..

alright down 2 with 1 second left..
shooting freethrows.. the player makes the 1st and the plan is to miss the second..
so he misses the second.. but the clock starts before anyone touches the ball ..
before anyone can get a hand on it the clock goes out.. game over

what do you do ref ?

another question.. my boy told me this happened to him..
same type of situation down 3 with a couple seconds left..
at the freethrow line..
make the first plan is to miss the second one..
BUT the opposing team takes multiple lane violations so they have to make the second..
makes the second.. opposing team throws it in .. game over..

my question is can the opposing team get a tech for delay of game ?
or was it just got basketball smarts by the coach ?

big sup!

shooting freethrows.. the player makes the 1st and the plan is to miss the second..
so he misses the second.. but the clock starts before anyone touches the ball ..

what do you do ref ?

at the freethrow line..
BUT the opposing team takes multiple lane violations so they have to make the second..

supahoopa wrote:
big sup!

what do you do ref ?

at the freethrow line..

YOUR 1ST QUESTION...
IT'S A TRICKY ONE...CUZ IF THERE'S LETS SAY 2 SEC LEFT, YOU MISS THE 2ND ONE ON PURPOSE, BALL HITS RIM..CLOCK STARTS...BUZZER GOES OFF B4 ANYONE TOUCHES IT...IN THAT SCENARIO THE CLOCK PERSON COULD HAVE KILLED YOU OR HELPED YOU. NO MATTER WHAT WE ARE PUTTING THOSE 2 SEC BACK ON THE CLOCK..NOW SINCE NO ONE HAD POSSESION OF THE BALL WE HAVE TO GO TO THE ARROW..IF YOU HAVE THE ARROW THEN YOUR PLAN WORKED IF YOU DONT THEN YOU GOTTA FOUL AGAIN.

YOUR 2ND QUESTION IS GREAT!!!
SO GREAT I GOTTA GET BACK TO YOU..IM 100% SURE THAT IN LATE SECONDS SCENARIOS ANY TEAM THAT IS PURPOSELY DELAYING A GAME SHOULD GET HIT WITH A TECH AUTOMATICALLY EVEN THOUGH NO WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED. CONTINUOUSLY VIOLATING THE FREE THROW LANE VIOLATION DOESNT FALL UNDER THAT SCENARIO..BUT I WILL GET BACK TO YOU ABOUT IT!

supahoopa wrote:
big sup!

what do you do ref ?

at the freethrow line..

YOUR 1ST QUESTION...
IT'S A TRICKY ONE...CUZ IF THERE'S LETS SAY 2 SEC LEFT, YOU MISS THE 2ND ONE ON PURPOSE, BALL HITS RIM..CLOCK STARTS...BUZZER GOES OFF B4 ANYONE TOUCHES IT...IN THAT SCENARIO THE CLOCK PERSON COULD HAVE KILLED YOU OR HELPED YOU. NO MATTER WHAT WE ARE PUTTING THOSE 2 SEC BACK ON THE CLOCK..NOW SINCE NO ONE HAD POSSESION OF THE BALL WE HAVE TO GO TO THE ARROW..IF YOU HAVE THE ARROW THEN YOUR PLAN WORKED IF YOU DONT THEN YOU GOTTA FOUL AGAIN.

YOUR 2ND QUESTION IS GREAT!!!
SO GREAT I GOTTA GET BACK TO YOU..IM 100% SURE THAT IN LATE SECONDS SCENARIOS ANY TEAM THAT IS PURPOSELY DELAYING A GAME SHOULD GET HIT WITH A TECH AUTOMATICALLY EVEN THOUGH NO WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED. CONTINUOUSLY VIOLATING THE FREE THROW LANE VIOLATION DOESNT FALL UNDER THAT SCENARIO..BUT I WILL GET BACK TO YOU ABOUT IT!

Back
Top Bottom