Religion = Insanity?

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Originally Posted by Adrian1221

Originally Posted by CWrite78

What is the difference between the guy rambling about god on the corner of the street and your neighborhood pastor?

the pastor has a building to spew his crap, the guy in the corner doesn't.

pastor: License, ordain school, usually educated in the area of said religion
Licensed and ordained by who? That's right, other religious people that believe the same thing. It's a circle jerk.

Yes. But there is a difference, isn't there? They do study what they believe in. And it is a tough process. As opposed to the rambling guy on the corner.
Why are you so heated that you have to as low as calling me a jerk?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

Question to all the religious people - why is it so hard to believe that this rapist and God talked to each other? How do you know that this didn't happen?  If people can have a relationship with God, why this his not valid?

If you believe in personal relationships with God, then there is enough reasonable doubt to let this guy go free. 

"when one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."
he could have done so at some point. But when he became a rapist it became invalid. Delusional as some might say.

As for the italicized statement, he lost his relationship with God the moment he turned against him and did his infamous deeds.

Why does him becoming a rapist invalidate anything?  You don't know what God said to him. 
Because God wouldn't tell him to do any of the evil deeds he did. I may not know what God told him, you are right, but I mean if a bomber bombs a school and said "obama sent me" nobody would believe him right?
For your point, it's irrelevant because by this time, God had already talked to him.

This makes no sense
Any religious person that believes in personal relationships with God must find this man innocent.  Like religious people say, God works in mysterious ways.  Humans can't comprehend His greatness. 

right?
For the first sentence, the answer is a firm no. Go ask 100 "religious people" out in the street and ask him if they find him innocent. Ill wait here with your results.

As for your last 2 sentences, I wholeheartedly agree with them.

Question to all the religious people - why is it so hard to believe that this rapist and God talked to each other? How do you know that this didn't happen?  If people can have a relationship with God, why this his not valid?

If you believe in personal relationships with God, then there is enough reasonable doubt to let this guy go free. 

"when one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."
he could have done so at some point. But when he became a rapist it became invalid. Delusional as some might say.

As for the italicized statement, he lost his relationship with God the moment he turned against him and did his infamous deeds.

Why does him becoming a rapist invalidate anything?  You don't know what God said to him. 
Because God wouldn't tell him to do any of the evil deeds he did. I may not know what God told him, you are right, but I mean if a bomber bombs a school and said "obama sent me" nobody would believe him right?
For your point, it's irrelevant because by this time, God had already talked to him.

This makes no sense
Any religious person that believes in personal relationships with God must find this man innocent.  Like religious people say, God works in mysterious ways.  Humans can't comprehend His greatness. 

right?
For the first sentence, the answer is a firm no. Go ask 100 "religious people" out in the street and ask him if they find him innocent. Ill wait here with your results.

What is the difference between the guy rambling about god on the corner of the street and your neighborhood pastor?

Licensed and ordained by who? That's right, other religious people that believe the same thing. It's a circle jerk.
Yes. But there is a difference, isn't there? They do study what they believe in. And it is a tough process. As opposed to the rambling guy on the corner.
laugh.gif

What is the difference? They both fervently believe in what they're talking about. If anything, the rambling guy might have it tougher since EVERYONE in society thinks he's insane. Would you say the rambling guy has even more faith?
For the love of the various deities, please google what a circle jerk is... and also realize I'm not using it in it's most literal meaning 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

What is the difference? They both fervently believe in what they're talking about. If anything, the rambling guy might have it tougher since EVERYONE in society thinks he's insane. Would you say the rambling guy has even more faith?
For the love of the various deities, please google what a circle jerk is... and also realize I'm not using it in it's most literal meaning 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Savraj1

It must suck being atheist/agnostic.

if a tree falls and no one is around to hear, does it make a noise?
as for the op's question, insane? perhaps. i've always preferred the religious for delusion, or rather a persistent false, psychotic belief despite indisputable evidence to the contrary.

Originally Posted by Savraj1

It must suck being atheist/agnostic.

if a tree falls and no one is around to hear, does it make a noise?
as for the op's question, insane? perhaps. i've always preferred the religious for delusion, or rather a persistent false, psychotic belief despite indisputable evidence to the contrary.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Yes of course they believe in the same thing, when did i say they did not? Im just saying it is more likely for one to have more credibility than the other. How is that so hard to understand?

And really, you are getting juvenile explaining as to why you used jerk. You could have called me anything, you're just mad. Period. Its a message board and you cant take someone else's different opinion without any name calling? Grow up and get serious with your responses.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Yes of course they believe in the same thing, when did i say they did not? Im just saying it is more likely for one to have more credibility than the other. How is that so hard to understand?

And really, you are getting juvenile explaining as to why you used jerk. You could have called me anything, you're just mad. Period. Its a message board and you cant take someone else's different opinion without any name calling? Grow up and get serious with your responses.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

And really, you are getting juvenile explaining as to why you used jerk. You could have called me anything, you're just mad. Period.

More likely? You're assuming. It's not hard to understand. I'm choosing not to follow your train of thought because I believe it to be incorrect. YOU assume that because the pastor has studied his religion thoroughly (and because the rambling guy hasn't right?) that he must be more credible. I'm saying NEITHER of them are credible since they both fervently believe in something that isn't there that can apparently talk to them. It doesn't matter how many years you put into it or if another person ordained you. Just because I've read all seven Harry Potter books hundreds of times and know them by heart doesn't make Voldemort any realer. Get it?
I REALLY hope you're joking about the circle jerk line. It's a common expression for when a bunch of people pointlessly do something. I don't actually mean the sex act. Please tell me you're joking.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

And really, you are getting juvenile explaining as to why you used jerk. You could have called me anything, you're just mad. Period.

More likely? You're assuming. It's not hard to understand. I'm choosing not to follow your train of thought because I believe it to be incorrect. YOU assume that because the pastor has studied his religion thoroughly (and because the rambling guy hasn't right?) that he must be more credible. I'm saying NEITHER of them are credible since they both fervently believe in something that isn't there that can apparently talk to them. It doesn't matter how many years you put into it or if another person ordained you. Just because I've read all seven Harry Potter books hundreds of times and know them by heart doesn't make Voldemort any realer. Get it?
I REALLY hope you're joking about the circle jerk line. It's a common expression for when a bunch of people pointlessly do something. I don't actually mean the sex act. Please tell me you're joking.

Since when do you need to be ordained, educated on religion, etc. to speak the word of GOD if GOD allegedly speaks to you and tells you to do and say things?

Plenty of prophets and chosen ppl in the all 3 holy txts with out those qualifications. How yall trying to put modern day academic standings and apply it to credibility among religious ppl to say pastor or theologian > * when the guy yelling on the corner is how most of these prophets and dudes who got books named after them started out the same way? Memorizing facts about a book just makes you a person well versed on the topic and someone to look to if you want to cite old examples to apply to some conflict/issue now. Your religion is the equalizer when it comes to relationships and talking with GOD. What GOD told the pastor don't trump what GOD told dude screaming in the town square.

Basically, you go to the pastor if you don't know and want to learn about that old shh. You may pay attention to the dude rambling cuz he might be spittin that new shhhh.

Since when do you need to be ordained, educated on religion, etc. to speak the word of GOD if GOD allegedly speaks to you and tells you to do and say things?

Plenty of prophets and chosen ppl in the all 3 holy txts with out those qualifications. How yall trying to put modern day academic standings and apply it to credibility among religious ppl to say pastor or theologian > * when the guy yelling on the corner is how most of these prophets and dudes who got books named after them started out the same way? Memorizing facts about a book just makes you a person well versed on the topic and someone to look to if you want to cite old examples to apply to some conflict/issue now. Your religion is the equalizer when it comes to relationships and talking with GOD. What GOD told the pastor don't trump what GOD told dude screaming in the town square.

Basically, you go to the pastor if you don't know and want to learn about that old shh. You may pay attention to the dude rambling cuz he might be spittin that new shhhh.

Originally Posted by Master Zik

PREACH

troll.png

Originally Posted by Master Zik

PREACH

troll.png

Obama could come out and say I never sent him. Your god can't.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Ill just say this debate will end here because it will be fruitless due to just the separate states of belief. I believe you are wrong and you believe i am wrong. Assumptions can go either way. Once I read the italicized section ill just leave it as is. You created a discussion thread and there is no discussing with you if you arn't open to seeing things from other points of views, right?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Ill just say this debate will end here because it will be fruitless due to just the separate states of belief. I believe you are wrong and you believe i am wrong. Assumptions can go either way. Once I read the italicized section ill just leave it as is. You created a discussion thread and there is no discussing with you if you arn't open to seeing things from other points of views, right?

Originally Posted by Gucci Mane

And why would they believe obama?
(rhetorical question)
You missed the whole point of the discussion by cutting off the rest of what i wrote.

Originally Posted by Gucci Mane

And why would they believe obama?
(rhetorical question)
You missed the whole point of the discussion by cutting off the rest of what i wrote.

This makes no sense

right?

laugh.gif
at this makes no sense. my fault, I meant for your second point.  When you say he lost his relationship with God, it doesn't address the fact that God might have said this or that to him when they still had that relationship.

For your Obama analogy, what Obama says or did not say to the hypothetical bomber can be verified.  What God says to a person cannot be verified.

I would agree with you that most Christians would not say this man is innocent.  But according to Christian beliefs, when this man claims that God told him to commit these heinous crimes shouldn't come off as impossible or unreasonable since Christians don't know how God works.  This plausibility is enough to declare this man innocent if we're going by the standard of reasonable doubt.

What I'm saying is...God could have told the man to go and kidnap and rape Elizabeth Smart.  A religious person would have to say that talking with God is indeed possible and God telling the man to kidnap and rape the girl is possible as well since God works in mysterious ways.  For a religious person to say that they KNOW that God did not tell the man to kidnap and rape Elizabeth smart is hypocritical.

This makes no sense

right?

laugh.gif
at this makes no sense. my fault, I meant for your second point.  When you say he lost his relationship with God, it doesn't address the fact that God might have said this or that to him when they still had that relationship.

For your Obama analogy, what Obama says or did not say to the hypothetical bomber can be verified.  What God says to a person cannot be verified.

I would agree with you that most Christians would not say this man is innocent.  But according to Christian beliefs, when this man claims that God told him to commit these heinous crimes shouldn't come off as impossible or unreasonable since Christians don't know how God works.  This plausibility is enough to declare this man innocent if we're going by the standard of reasonable doubt.

What I'm saying is...God could have told the man to go and kidnap and rape Elizabeth Smart.  A religious person would have to say that talking with God is indeed possible and God telling the man to kidnap and rape the girl is possible as well since God works in mysterious ways.  For a religious person to say that they KNOW that God did not tell the man to kidnap and rape Elizabeth smart is hypocritical.

Back
Top Bottom