Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

I found this part in the Houston Texans training manual extremely interesting:

Example # 3 - (a maximum effort)
[font=HHKKFO+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman][font=HHKKFO+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]
For maximum gains, use as much weight as you can handle on the first set, the second set, the third set, and for each additional set you perform.

Each succeeding set the weight must decrease, if the first set was an all out effort.
[/font]
[/font]
Set # 1 - 140 lbs. x 8 reps

Set # 2 - 120 lbs. x 8 reps

Set # 3 - 95 lbs. x 8 reps
[font=HHKKFO+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman][font=HHKKFO+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]
Why perform a set that is not as productive as it could be? If you can perform another rep but stop, you limit how productive that set can be. Once you have warmed up, make each set as productive as possible. Don’t waste time and energy on non-productive exercise.
[/font]
[/font]
[font=HHKKFO+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman][font=HHKKFO+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman] [/font][/font]

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

sounds strange to me ..... don think theres many fake supps anywhere. fake steroids on the other hand yes.

oep is a great fat burner btw, tried some of it for like 3 weeks it as nice.

thats exactly how i felt, thx for the input .....

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

For maximum gains, use as much weight as you can handle on the first set, the second set, the third set, and for each additional set you perform.

Each succeeding set the weight must decrease, if the first set was an all out effort.
[/font]
[/font]

Why perform a set that is not as productive as it could be? If you can perform another rep but stop, you limit how productive that set can be. Once you have warmed up, make each set as productive as possible. Don’t waste time and energy on non-productive exercise.
[/font]
[/font]
[font=HHKKFO+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman][font=HHKKFO+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman] [/font][/font]
Can anyone elaborate on why the weight must decrease based on this article?

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

I be wearing these:
Nike-Air-Trainer-SC-2010-Manny-Pacquiao-01.jpg

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

[/font]
[/font]

[/font]
[/font]

They're saying if you use maximum effort in the 1st set by using a heavy weight you should decrease in weight in the next set because you won't be able to put up that same weight using maximum effort again if you went all out.

Originally Posted by ATLfootballer

They're saying if you use maximum effort in the 1st set by using a heavy weight you should decrease in weight in the next set because you won't be able to put up that same weight using maximum effort again if you went all out.
Don't really understand that though. Couldn't you in principle still put out max effort with the same weight, but the result would be less reps? ex:

140x10
140x7
140x4
etc.

Thats basically how I've always done it so I'm curious to see the error in my ways I guess

can ppl help me out? i run every time i go to the gym about 1.75 miles and increase it by .25 of a mile on 7.0 speed. i want to get rid of my back fat that i have which is the hardest for me. anyone know of any workouts that can help me? and should i change my running?

maybe thats just that strength coaches philosophy or maybe I'm lookin at it wrong but i'm not quite sure either..... or maybe they still want you to shoot for 8+ reps every set

maybe thats just that strength coaches philosophy or maybe I'm lookin at it wrong but i'm not quite sure either..... or maybe they still want you to shoot for 8+ reps every set

Originally Posted by streethoopkilla

can ppl help me out? i run every time i go to the gym about 1.75 miles and increase it by .25 of a mile on 7.0 speed. i want to get rid of my back fat that i have which is the hardest for me. anyone know of any workouts that can help me? and should i change my running?
you can run all you want..
but diet> running. 

trust. 

I usually lift, and then on my rest days from lifting i do cardio. 30 min treadmill, ab workout etc and it seems like im losing muscle? should i maybe do lighter cardio and mainly just focus on weight training?

Originally Posted by chuck67

I usually lift, and then on my rest days from lifting i do cardio. 30 min treadmill, ab workout etc and it seems like im losing muscle? should i maybe do lighter cardio and mainly just focus on weight training?

how many times are you running a week?
maybe you need to up your caloric intake to keep up with what you are burning. 

Don't really understand that though. Couldn't you in principle still put out max effort with the same weight, but the result would be less reps? ex:

140x10
140x7
140x4
etc.

Thats basically how I've always done it so I'm curious to see the error in my ways I guess
The weight doesnt have to decrease every set.  The idea is that you shouldnt go up in weight each set.  As an example:
140x10
140x10
130x10

The most amount of weight lifted should be the very first set.

Originally Posted by streethoopkilla

diet>>>exercise

you wont lose fat if your diet isnt in check

Originally Posted by Durden7

140x10
140x7
140x4
etc.

The weight doesnt have to decrease every set.  The idea is that you shouldnt go up in weight each set.  As an example:
140x10
140x10
130x10

what if you are lifting heavy.
i mean you cant just jump into your heavy lifts without building up to it.

atleast when benching. 

its a huge diff/shock to your body just jumping into heavy weight.

Originally Posted by bwood056

what if you are lifting heavy.
i mean you cant just jump into your heavy lifts without building up to it.

atleast when benching. 

its a huge diff/shock to your body just jumping into heavy weight.

I wouldnt suggest just hopping onto a bench and maxing out.  Theres obviously some sort of warm up, but not working sets.  So for if im benching and my highest weight is 245, some reps with the bar (wide,normal,narrow) then some reps with 135 and maybe 1 rep at 185.

I personally wouldnt do the 185 rep, but thats just me.

From there the muscles should be warm enough to jump right into the highest weight.  This really doesnt apply to reps below 4 though.

It is a very different way of training, but from a physiological viewpoint its more efficient.  Some people arent used to it which is fine.  It does take some time to get used to.

bwood, that's where warm up sets come in. You're working sets are where you want to maximize your effort.
understand. but i mean imagine jumping from warming up at 315 - to 405 for 2 or even 1.
thats too big of a jump.

iam a huge believer in warm up sets.

just seems odd method if considered to heavier weight training.

Originally Posted by bwood056

bwood, that's where warm up sets come in. You're working sets are where you want to maximize your effort.
understand. but i mean imagine jumping from warming up at 315 - to 405 for 2 or even 1.
thats too big of a jump.

iam a huge believer in warm up sets.

just seems odd method if considered to heavier weight training.
Thats really not that big of a jump.

You just have to train/condition your muscles/CNS for it.  It doesnt take long to get used to it either.

Originally Posted by chuck67

I had the same problem with losing muscle doing cardio. I quit doing it altogether and started controlling it all through diet. Not saying it's best option for you but I've had great success with it.

Originally Posted by Durden7

140x10
140x7
140x4
etc.

140x10
140x10
130x10

Neuromuscular activation as well as resistance development prove the opposite.

Neuromuscular efficiency increases through set progression as does overall proprioception by means of improved intermuscular coordination through bodily alarming phases. Through progression the overall maximum number of muscular fibers can be properly activated through more optimal inter/intra muscular integration, this in turn provides maximal motor function as total fiber recruitment is now amassed.

Back
Top Bottom