Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

Don't really understand that though. Couldn't you in principle still put out max effort with the same weight, but the result would be less reps? ex:

140x10
140x7
140x4
etc.

Thats basically how I've always done it so I'm curious to see the error in my ways I guess
The weight doesnt have to decrease every set.  The idea is that you shouldnt go up in weight each set.  As an example:
140x10
140x10
130x10

The most amount of weight lifted should be the very first set.
Neuromuscular activation as well as resistance development prove the opposite.

Neuromuscular efficiency increases through set progression as does overall proprioception by means of improved intermuscular coordination through bodily alarming phases. Through progression the overall maximum number of muscular fibers can be properly activated through more optimal inter/intra muscular integration, this in turn provides maximal motor function as total fiber recruitment is now amassed.

I can see it working for higher reps/moderate weight. When working with moderate weight neuromuscular efficiency isn't nearly as important as muscular endurance. 

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

Don't really understand that though. Couldn't you in principle still put out max effort with the same weight, but the result would be less reps? ex:

140x10
140x7
140x4
etc.

Thats basically how I've always done it so I'm curious to see the error in my ways I guess
The weight doesnt have to decrease every set.  The idea is that you shouldnt go up in weight each set.  As an example:
140x10
140x10
130x10

Neuromuscular efficiency increases through set progression as does overall proprioception by means of improved intermuscular coordination through bodily alarming phases. Through progression the overall maximum number of muscular fibers can be properly activated through more optimal inter/intra muscular integration, this in turn provides maximal motor function as total fiber recruitment is now amassed.

You are progressing though.  Its just not within that day.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

140x10
140x10
130x10

I can see it working for higher reps/moderate weight. When working with moderate weight neuromuscular efficiency isn't nearly as important as muscular endurance. 
This is false, fiber recruitment is paramount.

140x10
140x10
130x10

You are progressing though.  Its just not within that day.

That is referring to the present time of  exercise activity.

Originally Posted by bwood056

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

bwood, that's where warm up sets come in. You're working sets are where you want to maximize your effort.
understand. but i mean imagine jumping from warming up at 315 - to 405 for 2 or even 1.
thats too big of a jump.

iam a huge believer in warm up sets.

just seems odd method if considered to heavier weight training.
Thats really not that big of a jump.

You just have to train/condition your muscles/CNS for it.  It doesnt take long to get used to it either.

bro, im telling you.
once u start jumping into the 400s and above, each 5 pound increase feels like 25 
laugh.gif

i guess iam trying to take what was said with the texans plan into a powerlifiting plan.

which does not work.

over thinking i am. 

For higher reps it is not paramount. Muscular endurance comes into play for high reps. 
For reps where you're building power/ strength (basically 5 and under) neuromuscular activation is the only thing that matters. 

For example. Today was a bad squat day. No pop in my hips and a bit sore. I could've done 70% 1rm for 10 or 12 fairly easy. It wouldn't have effected me that much. However, I work with 85-90% for 5 reps and it def did effect me today. I couldn't even hit last week's number for the same reps ( 3 this week v. 5 the last). 

You guys, I've been slacking! Not so much with my diet but with going to the gym.

How do you keep yourself going? I know motivation should come from within yourself, but damn... it's tough.

bro, im telling you.
once u start jumping into the 400s and above, each 5 pound increase feels like 25 
laugh.gif

i guess iam trying to take what was said with the texans plan into a powerlifiting plan.

which does not work.

over thinking i am. 

The weight is all relative though.

For you into the 400s a small increase might seem like a lot but for someone else an increase in the 200s would feel just the same.

Again, it isnt the best method when doing very low reps.

That is referring to the present time of  exercise activity
I personally doubt it.

bro, im telling you.
laugh.gif

which does not work.

over thinking i am. 

For you into the 400s a small increase might seem like a lot but for someone else an increase in the 200s would feel just the same.

id have to argue that.
simply because someone can lift more, does not mean that the weight does not have the same effect on your joints.

yes getting used to it helps.

but heavy weight like that is heavy weight.

Originally Posted by KatieJade4

You guys, I've been slacking! Not so much with my diet but with going to the gym.

How do you keep yourself going? I know motivation should come from within yourself, but damn... it's tough.

For me..
I tell myself that watching TV and surfing the web after classes (from 4pm-11pm when I hit the sack) is the most absolute waste of my time possible

If I'm not being productive I feel horrible... and working out for an hour is much better than reading a book for an hour 
laugh.gif

But yeah, once you eliminate TV and NT in the evenings you will almost be forced to go out of sheer boredom 

Leg presses are @+$!%#$ gay and hurt my knees.

I see chicks doing 4 plates on each side.. If I go higher than 3 plates its "FFFUUUU" to my joints... and my form is way better than theirs.

For higher reps it is not paramount. Muscular endurance comes into play for high reps. 
For reps where you're building power/ strength (basically 5 and under) neuromuscular activation is the only thing that matters. 
This is correct, as well as a great example however it applies to anything sub 15.

bro, im telling you.
laugh.gif

which does not work.

over thinking i am. 

id have to argue that.
simply because someone can lift more, does not mean that the weight does not have the same effect on your joints.

yes getting used to it helps.

but heavy weight like that is heavy weight.
"Therefore, when an athlete is pressing a barbell, he is essentially asking his body to do something it is not designed to do. This is not such a big deal for the novice athlete as the weight of the barbell is not yet heavy enough to damage his joints, but it is for the advanced bencher who uses extremely heavy barbells. Factor heavy bench workouts year after year, and over time, this will damage the joints."
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.criticalbench.com/joint-pain-barbells-tyler-grips-review.htm
[/font]

This is correct, as well as a great example however it applies to anything sub 15.

15 reps? 
Are you trolling? 
laugh.gif

I've been squatting for roughly a year now.
I make sure I do full reps. If I can't do a full rep I don't do it...
Went from 115lbs max to 260lbs max (roughly)
My legs were STICKS prior to squats... the growth of my quads is the most growth I've seen on my whole body
Spoiler [+]
I should start doing calf raises or something, though.

Originally Posted by KatieJade4

Look in the mirror with your clothes off or try on your favorite garment that doesn't fit you anymore.

I see chicks doing 4 plates on each side

360? They must be some big girls.

Do you have goals? If you do know them, focus on trying to achieve them. How do you feel during and after the gym trip? It shouldn't feel like a chore or else you're not going to do it. Motivation comes from different places for everyone. Some can take motivation from a quote, others can take it from a person's story. Try different things till you find yours.

pdfs to keep your workouts refreshe...laugh.gif[/img] ...cardio ideas for the rest http://www.montgomeryscho...occer/summer_workout.pdf

this is geared towards football for cardio results should be the same though
http://www.ijwsoft.com/bo...20Training%20Workout.pdf

ok...this one i like alot..Division 1 ice hockey program..actually has a weight gain set up and a weight loss set up plyometric and cardio included
http://www.freewebs.com/c...%20Workout%20Program.pdf

Douglas County Wrestling Off Season Lifting Program...very detailed...if a football field is near cardio ideas for the rest
http://www.countywrestlin...nts/Strength_Program.pdf

division one softball...but a 5 good slides on food and such
http://www.mountathletics...kout.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=10900

go get a Gatorade. have a seat. this will tire you out. LSU track stuff ..imore the ideology than every single thing they do
http://www.nacactfca.org/...%20Sprint%20Training.pdf

Endicott College Ice Hockey
Phase II – Strength & Conditioning Program...
http://graphics.fansonly....ckey/auto_pdf/Phase2.pdf

same school phase 3 more complete with plyometrics and such
http://graphics.fansonly....ckey/auto_pdf/phase3.pdf

SHOUTout to my basketball fam...details on weights ...every one check out the jumprope thing at the end though
https://www.peru.edu/athl...nconditioningprogram.pdf

every one download ...track and field 400+ page manual ...table of contents on page 4 something for everybody
http://www.la84foundation...nuals/LA84trackfield.pdf

for the people who like to discuss nuances of things fitness nutrition and conditioning
http://www.thebasketballz...s%20for%20Basketball.pdf

think female division one cats arent in shape....
laugh.gif
....Crossfit workout
http://www.athletics.ucr....es/CFJ_riverside_wbk.pdf

Crossfit baseball oriented form same school above
http://www.athletics.ucr....7_riverside_baseball.pdf

almost magazine like but some great fundamentals ....nice routine in here...addresses food issues as welll...interval training etc etc
http://www.nsca-lift.org/perform/Issues/0402.pdf

Durden or Chewtoy or any other NASM folks or knowledgeable Joes,

I'm getting the random bruising again....

Last time was just a single tennis ball size bruise right on the tips of my delts.

This time, its on my biceps; and I happened to be doing back/bis today. I noticed it pretty much right when I started my work out, and by the time I ended I got like 3 quarter sized bruises on my bis.... this is tripping me out
laugh.gif

Any ideas/knowledge on why this happens?

I'm going to buy some ON whey protein, but I don't know if I should stick with the standard or go for the oats & whey. Are the oats worth it?

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Joe, you never got around to doing Olympic Lifting, did you?
I need to pick up some O-lifting shoes.

No I'm gonna wait til after my cycle to do it. Test only cycle =weaker tendons ligaments etc so I don't want to risk injury doing oly stuff.

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Joe, you never got around to doing Olympic Lifting, did you?
I need to pick up some O-lifting shoes.

No I'm gonna wait til after my cycle to do it. Test only cycle =weaker tendons ligaments etc so I don't want to risk injury doing oly stuff.

If your gonna be cycling a lot of good info here. Muscleknowledge.com. Also about the blood work you should definitely get it checked before cycle to have a baseline. That's how you will know when you've recovered after. Also make sure you have pct planned out if you don't already.

Back
Top Bottom