Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Hey guys. Could someone recommend me a 3 days split workout program?

I was doing that Starting Strength, but the only thing I got out of it was bigger thighs and 5 pounds of weight. I'm bored of doing the $+!! all the time and I'm not getting the results I expected. (Maybe I'm doing it wrong?) So yea, I want to try something different. Thanks guys.

Fish Oil recommendations??? I was think ON 1000MG
nerd.gif

02984_fishoil_100softgels_3.jpg

I saw an ESPN special on the Oklahoma Sooners football team and I saw how crazy big the players were, even the shorter ones. I'm short so being lean just isn't going to work cause I'll end up looking frail with a shirt on 
ohwell.gif

My question is this: how do football players get so big while still keeping athletic performance at it's peak? That's my ultimate goal, to be muscular but still have all my athleticism (or what's left of it
laugh.gif
) instead of just bodybuilding. I want to be a multi-dimensional athlete as well.

What kinds of workouts do they do? After I start running/doing a ton of cardio the next few weeks I'd like to start trying to get big again and this time actually get it right... looking into the Starting Strength, 5x5 programs as well.

Any info is appreciated.

^ I have that fish oil, it the first & only one I've owned, so I can't compare it to anything for you

Originally Posted by scshift

I saw an ESPN special on the Oklahoma Sooners football team and I saw how crazy big the players were, even the shorter ones. I'm short so being lean just isn't going to work cause I'll end up looking frail with a shirt on 
ohwell.gif

My question is this: how do football players get so big while still keeping athletic performance at it's peak? That's my ultimate goal, to be muscular but still have all my athleticism (or what's left of it
laugh.gif
) instead of just bodybuilding. I want to be a multi-dimensional athlete as well.

What kinds of workouts do they do? After I start running/doing a ton of cardio the next few weeks I'd like to start trying to get big again and this time actually get it right... looking into the Starting Strength, 5x5 programs as well.

Any info is appreciated.
You don't want to have that stumpy look though. My friend is 5'8 and BUILT (sorta like Maurice Jones Drew), while I'm 5'8 and lean. People always say how i look MUCH taller than him. For people our height the best look for us is that soccer player/track athlete physique. Muscular but not to the point where you start getting too wide for your height

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

ohwell.gif

laugh.gif

Any info is appreciated.
You don't want to have that stumpy look though. My friend is 5'8 and BUILT (sorta like Maurice Jones Drew), while I'm 5'8 and lean. People always say how i look MUCH taller than him. For people our height the best look for us is that soccer player/track athlete physique. Muscular but not to the point where you start getting too wide for your height

Agreed... being leaner does make you look taller, but at the same time what I need is to be noticeable muscular. Maybe not packing like an NFL player but at least to the point where you can take one look and be like "he spends serious time in the gym".

Do you have any pics for ideal body types for shorter people? I'm 5'8" also.

ohwell.gif

laugh.gif

Any info is appreciated.
well they eat a lot, do a a lot of strength workouts and they aslo do alot of cardio via practice and game time

ohwell.gif

laugh.gif

Any info is appreciated.
well they eat a lot, do a a lot of strength workouts and they aslo do alot of cardio via practice and game time

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

I was doing that Starting Strength, but the only thing I got out of it was bigger thighs and 5 pounds of weight. I'm bored of doing the $+!! all the time and I'm not getting the results I expected. (Maybe I'm doing it wrong?) So yea, I want to try something different. Thanks guys.
were you even looking to get strong in the first place?

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

ohwell.gif

laugh.gif

Any info is appreciated.

Agreed... being leaner does make you look taller, but at the same time what I need is to be noticeable muscular. Maybe not packing like an NFL player but at least to the point where you can take one look and be like "he spends serious time in the gym".

Do you have any pics for ideal body types for shorter people? I'm 5'8" also.
as long as you stay lean and keep your proportions good you'd be surprised how much lean mass you can add before you look "too big"
also comes down to your body structure....if you have longer limbs you have room for more mass than someone with shorter ones, for example

this guy apparently is super popular over on bb.com, he looks awesome and is 5'8" i believe:

Thailand_2008_0007.jpg

as you can see he has a lot of quality mass yet he doesn't look anywhere near "too bulky" IMO

i believe this guy is 5'8" or shorter:

1hyqkp.jpg

also check out the NPC Physique division, it's broken up into "up to and including 5'8"" and "over 5'8"" divisions

those guys are not huge mass monsters like IFBB types, it's all about proportions and lean mass without being bulky

don't know specific competitors in the 5'8" and under division but to give you an example of the look i'm talking about here's the winner of the over 5'8" division, steve cook:

DSC_4214_VKHDOYLKEH.jpg

253866_10150273644081072_736406071_9395897_264631_n.jpgp

IMO unless youre genetically gifted and were pretty big prior to lifting, youre not gonna get "too big" unless you juice....i say keep lifting hard and just stay lean with good muscular balance and you'll continue to look better

hope that helped a little

Originally Posted by alhubley

I believe fitday.com does it.

Co-sign on this. Plus you can edit food. For example. Edit eggs so that it has the nutritional info of Organic/Brown eggs or so.

Question for incline presses: What's better for upper chest growth? Incline Dumbbell Presses or Incline Bench Presses? Or should I incorporate both?

I lean towards dumbbell presses because I can get a better stretch and from my understanding a better stretch = recruiting more muscle fiber = to more growth.

Thoughts?

good arguments for both

i prefer DB's myself

it's not gonna come down to which of the two you choose, they're pretty much identical lifts. it's how you lift, with what frequency and intensity, how well you target the upper chest (as opposed to front delts for example), and your diet

if you feel like you're getting a better connection with db incline i say stick to it

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

as long as you stay lean and keep your proportions good you'd be surprised how much lean mass you can add before you look "too big"
also comes down to your body structure....if you have longer limbs you have room for more mass than someone with shorter ones, for example

this guy apparently is super popular over on bb.com, he looks awesome and is 5'8" i believe:

as you can see he has a lot of quality mass yet he doesn't look anywhere near "too bulky" IMO

i believe this guy is 5'8" or shorter:

also check out the NPC Physique division, it's broken up into "up to and including 5'8"" and "over 5'8"" divisions

those guys are not huge mass monsters like IFBB types, it's all about proportions and lean mass without being bulky

don't know specific competitors in the 5'8" and under division but to give you an example of the look i'm talking about here's the winner of the over 5'8" division, steve cook:

IMO unless youre genetically gifted and were pretty big prior to lifting, youre not gonna get "too big" unless you juice....i say keep lifting hard and just stay lean with good muscular balance and you'll continue to look better

hope that helped a little

That Steve Cook guy has a great physique... but damn I swear genetics are not on my side. I've heard of that myth about Asians trying to get big and it not working for them... I've been lifting for over a year and still look pretty small while a dude who isn't Asian can come in, do a couple sets of curls and bench and look more ripped than me
ohwell.gif

Yeah but those looks you posted are great, I'd love to have those, maybe even a little smaller... I still want to be athletic and coordinated as a person.

But damn I feel like I can never get something like that
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

middle guy is asian man, he looks so sick
plus you guys are the only ones who can get big calves easily 
glasses.gif

It's not a good thing, trust me.

Back in my middle school/HS freshman days I did hundreds of calf raises and leg press to try and dunk and all I got were these huge calves which make my short legs look even shorter.

Now I need to wear high socks just so my calves don't look disproportionately big.

What earphones are you guys rocking?  I'm tired of mine.  Keep in mind I do a little of cardio, box jumps but mostly lifting.  They just give out after a month of usage. The cord rips, not durable.

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

I wanna say yes, but that'd be lying
ohwell.gif

I mean, how long do you do Starting Strength for? Until you plateau?

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

I wanna say yes, but that'd be lying
ohwell.gif

I mean, how long do you do Starting Strength for? Until you plateau?
You should start thinking about it until getting strong makes sense and its a part of the motivation to go, because it will become that if you think enough about it. You should be able to do SS for 3-6 months Id say, seeing great results the whole time if you stay motivated and strict. Id probably suggest throwing in some extra stuff according to how you feel as time goes on though.

That Steve Cook guy has a great physique... but damn I swear genetics are not on my side. I've heard of that myth about Asians trying to get big and it not working for them... I've been lifting for over a year and still look pretty small while a dude who isn't Asian can come in, do a couple sets of curls and bench and look more ripped than me
ohwell.gif

Yeah but those looks you posted are great, I'd love to have those, maybe even a little smaller... I still want to be athletic and coordinated as a person.

But damn I feel like I can never get something like that
30t6p3b.gif
I dunno, I see dudes that look great of all races, no mo. I feel like white guys probably have the least going for them as far as their appearance complementing their physique. Skin color, to me at least, makes black guys look more muscular as well as asians when compared to white guys. Have you been eating like a big guy? Cuz otherwise youre never gonna be one.

Sidenote: I thought you were a lightskin black dude this whole time, word to your avy.

I did it for 2 months, but I wasn't really taking seriously like that. I'm gonna try it for reals this time and see how I feel about it after it.

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

I dunno, I see dudes that look great of all races, no mo. I feel like white guys probably have the least going for them as far as their appearance complementing their physique. Skin color, to me at least, makes black guys look more muscular as well as asians when compared to white guys. Have you been eating like a big guy? Cuz otherwise youre never gonna be one.

Sidenote: I thought you were a lightskin black dude this whole time, word to your avy.

Yeah darker skin does make the body appear more muscular. But Asians have it the worst, I can count on one hand the number of Asians I've seen in my life and knew by looking at them they lifted weights. And for the rare Asians who do lift, they're never actually big. I'm going to try and break that standard though.

I ate a ton of calories. Pretty much everything in sight, I ate, sometimes I even messed up my diet cause I needed to eat something. I'm talking Mcdonalds, pasta, chicken, tacos, whatever I could eat, I ate. But still I gained only about 5-7 pounds and I didn't look any bigger or fatter even.

I'm going to try and cut a good deal of the fat so I can see my abs then I'll try and bulk again... this time I'll plan it out and do it right.

And yeah, I got that a lot on NT people thought I was black, and from the Bay, nah I'm Asian and from the East Coast... I wish I had the darker skin though so my muscles would pop
laugh.gif

And for the rare Asians who do lift, they're never actually big. I'm going to try and break that standard though.

Really? From my experiences in the gym, here in Socal, most of the asian guys I see are pretty diesel. Like 10 sets on the bench diesel.

Sure you have your average dudes, but that's the same for every race.

Yeah darker skin does make the body appear more muscular. But Asians have it the worst, I can count on one hand the number of Asians I've seen in my life and knew by looking at them they lifted weights. And for the rare Asians who do lift, they're never actually big. I'm going to try and break that standard though.

I ate a ton of calories. Pretty much everything in sight, I ate, sometimes I even messed up my diet cause I needed to eat something. I'm talking Mcdonalds, pasta, chicken, tacos, whatever I could eat, I ate. But still I gained only about 5-7 pounds and I didn't look any bigger or fatter even.

I'm going to try and cut a good deal of the fat so I can see my abs then I'll try and bulk again... this time I'll plan it out and do it right.

And yeah, I got that a lot on NT people thought I was black, and from the Bay, nah I'm Asian and from the East Coast... I wish I had the darker skin though so my muscles would pop
laugh.gif
+*+! that cutting +%%!, you need to get @%#@%$% swole not become/remain a twig. Bulk til you cant stand it any longer and then get on a cut.

I have a homie from the china whos among the strongest people I know. He would lift only because getting stronger helped his martial arts, and he got pretty damn big. homie would climb up and down a 30 foot rope hanging from the ceiling over and over, using just his hands while keeping his legs stretched out horizontally in front of him
eek.gif
sick.gif

+*+! that cutting +%%!, you need to get @%#@%$% swole not become/remain a twig. Bulk til you cant stand it any longer and then get on a cut.

I have a homie from the china whos among the strongest people I know. He would lift only because getting stronger helped his martial arts, and he got pretty damn big. homie would climb up and down a 30 foot rope hanging from the ceiling over and over, using just his hands while keeping his legs stretched out horizontally in front of him
eek.gif
sick.gif

Man you know what, that sounds like a damn good idea. Honestly I'm sick and tired of being so damn frail and thin, damn I'd say I'm decently strong full body at least (1.5x on the squat, 2.0x on the deadlift, unassisted), yet I'm still small as hell.

You need to help me out though... I need tips and advice on workouts, diets, cardio, off-days, all that @%$+. If you need/want to please PM me.

Starting strength? 5x5? What can I do?

Back
Top Bottom