STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

I will say one thing. Needing 8 hours of sleep everyday is a myth. You can function well enough sleeping 4 to 5 hours a day as long as you have that one day a week to sleep in.
Please be quiet.  

I can never sleep less than 7 hrs and workout.

I'll be way too tired. 6 days a week I need my rest.

Sick since Friday and haven't lifted. Feel like I'm wasting away, life sucks lol

Every time I come back from being sick I go harddd.

It depends on how hungry you are about your goals. If you really want it, you're not letting anything stop you.

this and only this

theres times when im so exhausted that i couldnt possibly think of going to the gym but if you wanna lose weight, gain muscle, or do w/e your goal is. its not gonna stop you. last few weeks been a few times where i was so tired but i still went to go put in work.

you just gotta want it

I got in about 5 last night and my body is dragging. I was trying to get off of coffee too but big fail today. Question for you guys. I'm not judging but it seems like alot of same sex preferred males frequent the gyms now. Women seem to be trained to not make eye contact but I'm constantly catching men staring at me and in the locker rooms trying to start convos which is just so not cool to me if I don't know the person so are there any strategies you guys that might have this problem do?

2 questions:

1. What do you guys consider a true test of strength?

2. Is it possible, without supplements other than protein, for someone who weighs 160 to bench the same weight as someone who weighs 200lbs?

My boy bet me $1000 that I would never catch him on the bench. He says he's benched 300 before. I don't believe him, I know he can at least do 225. I can't do it yet but I'm working on it.

2 questions:

2. Is it possible, without supplements other than protein, for someone who weighs 160 to bench the same weight as someone who weighs 200lbs?

My boy bet me $1000 that I would never catch him on the bench. He says he's benched 300 before. I don't believe him, I know he can at least do 225. I can't do it yet but I'm working on it.
GET THAT BET IN WRITING ASAP

DO WORK 

TRAIN HARD

EAT BIG

SLEEP WELL

AND LIFT LIFT LIFT

4-5 hours a night when i was in college...

Now I cant go more than like 2 days getting 4-5 hours.

Now I get between 6-7 on weekdays

solid 8 on weekends :nthat:

It's really hard to say what the true test of strength is because different people are better at different things.

My friend can overhead press way more than me but we're about even in cleans. So we both have about the same clean and jerk numbers.

Someone might be able to bench more than me but I can do more pushups and dips in a row without stopping.

I can be about even with deadlifts and squats with another person but I can bench and overhead press and do way more chin ups than him.

Long story short it's hard to pin it down to one exercise and say, this is the ultimate test for strength.

GET THAT BET IN WRITING ASAP

DO WORK 

TRAIN HARD

EAT BIG

SLEEP WELL

AND LIFT LIFT LIFT
[/quote]

You have no idea how much work I'm gonna put in. He makes pretty good money so I knew he's good for it. I've been doing that 5x5 program so in about 2 more months I know I'm gonna be stronger. I just wanna shut him up and get huge gains in the process.

It's really hard to say what the true test of strength is because different people are better at different things.

My friend can overhead press way more than me but we're about even in cleans. So we both have about the same clean and jerk numbers.

Someone might be able to bench more than me but I can do more pushups and dips in a row without stopping.

I can be about even with deadlifts and squats with another person but I can bench and overhead press and do way more chin ups than him.

Long story short it's hard to pin it down to one exercise and say, this is the ultimate test for strength.

I see what you mean. I remember having a coworker who looked like Brian Urlacher do 100 straight pushups and beat me in a race, I ran a 4.4 in high school. That was impressive as hell to me.

I'm gonna train hard and challenge my homeboy to a max pushups and pull ups, how many times can he press 225, and squats max. All with proper form.

I'm 170ish and there was a time I couldn't hit 225. I did 280 at 165 a few months ago and prob could have hit a few more. I'm still looking for 300 then that 3 plate feel but it can certainly be done. And imo you need a little more volume than 5x5 to get you there.

Last edited:
2 questions:

For the bet, are you supposed to stay at 165 and bench same/more than him?

Your lifts will go up once you starting packing on more weight.

Better get it clarified before he pulls a fast one and says you need to stay at 165. :lol:

You have no idea how much work I'm gonna put in. He makes pretty good money so I knew he's good for it. I've been doing that 5x5 program so in about 2 more months I know I'm gonna be stronger. I just wanna shut him up and get huge gains in the process.

How much weight did you start with, I've been looking in to trying it. My max is 235 but I weigh 186 and feel like it should be a lot higher.

2 questions:

1. There really isn't one. In this case stay in the parameters of the bet. Specialize your program to gain results in the bench press since that is your goal.

2. Yes

Usually get about 6-7 hours of sleep, less than 5.5 and I'm sluggish as hell. Could push through physically, but mentally wont be able to shake the sluggishness. Anything over 8 makes me feel lazy as well, :lol:

6-7 is money for me.

My boy is clueless in the gym. All he wants to do is upper body. Going to the gym is a social activity for him. Whereas for me I have workout goals. Dude will literally do whatever I'm doing and it's annoying to me because I know he's not pushing himself unless I tell him he needs to add weight in the bar.

He specifically said "the day you catch me on the bench I'll give you a stack." I know he doesn't care about me putting on weight because he doesn't understand it. He's always saying our other boy can do more pull ups than him because he weighs less, smh.

jkitty jkitty I decided to try this 5x5 because all the reviews I've read or watched on YouTube were positive. They were simple to track and its only a 12 week program. He also has an app which makes it easier for me.

retroflashbacks retroflashbacks When I started the program I was at 153(2 weeks ago). Today I'm at 159.

jumpman91023 jumpman91023 I had to check my ego if I really wanted it to work so I decided to start with a weight that I knew I could do fairly easy. I started with 135lbs but the next workout instead of jumping up 5 like the program says I went up 10.

From now on, if I stick to the plan I should be about to hit 225 5 times for 5 reps by July 1st.

True test of strength would be either squat or deadliest in my opinion. I would lean more towards squat personally. Pullups/pushups bodyweight stuff is impressive but i wouldn't put it in the same category as lighting actual weight.

If he's not serious about lifting and you are then that should answer your question right there. Ive seen a 165lb guy bench 500 in competition,  probably not natural but its impressive none the less.

Honestly if your just looking to beat him on one rep max then there are way better programs out there for that. You could basically treat it like training for a meet aka a peaking program. That would help you more no doubt.

Back
Top Bottom