STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Progress doesn't have to stop...

Mobilizing/stretching is extremely beneficial and some may say it's a workout in itself. You can also focus on other areas of the body.

That is key! Myofasical release along with mobility work is crucial! 

I kind of just meant squat progress. I am going to still try to do what i can in the gym as far as chest bi's and tri's maybe some shoulder lat and front raises. But nothing that is going to compress my spine shall be done anytime soon which disappoints me. I was chasing a 495 dead and a 405 squat. Which are now both out the window

Just when progress is starting to be made
mean.gif

Threw my back out last night. My lower back...bad on squats. Perfect storm of new gym couldn't find foam rollers and didn't wear my belt. So i am 178lbs currently and had to do week 2 day one of candito last night.

Hit 290 for 9 reps. Felt great was loving life. Then was the 295 for 3 reps 5 sets, 1 set every minute. So set one was good. Then set two...i wouldn't even say i rounded my back it was more of too much forward lean and i had to good morning it a little to get out. Felt nothing during the set. Set three...puts weight on my back and my legs started shaking like they were both going to buckle and my lower back was lit up...walked it right back in. My lower back was on fire.

Just when i was doing so well too im going to have to take a good week or so off squats and deads....if not longer. Back to square one
mean.gif
You never got back. You just learn and move forward. Stay positive bro

Damn man looking in this thread I'm weak as hell lol. I've been doing bb workouts for years and now I'm going to make that switch to focus on strength. 5x5 good starting point?
And is it cool if I do 5x5 for compound but then hit hypertrophy work on isolation?

Damn man looking in this thread I'm weak as hell lol. I've been doing bb workouts for years and now I'm going to make that switch to focus on strength. 5x5 good starting point?
And is it cool if I do 5x5 for compound but then hit hypertrophy work on isolation?
5x5 should be the starting point for any serious lifter. 

Experienced/Advanced lifters regularly implement 5x5 programs. 

I do accessory isolation work on the "off" days. But it depends on your body. If your body is used to the volume an frequency then do it. Otherwise, just work your arms after your Friday lifts so you have two days to rest

Which wireless earphones do you guys recommend? Recently lost my Power beats 2 and dont wanna spend another 200+ on a new pair

Pretty frustrating how my bench is so weak :smh:
Same with me man. Since I've strengthened my back a lot though and shoulders my reps have gone up on the same weight I was doing. I need to man up already and ask for a spot when I bench so I can try going heavier

Progress doesn't have to stop...

Mobilizing/stretching is extremely beneficial and some may say it's a workout in itself. You can also focus on other areas of the body.

That is key! Myofasical release along with mobility work is crucial! 

I kind of just meant squat progress. I am going to still try to do what i can in the gym as far as chest bi's and tri's maybe some shoulder lat and front raises. But nothing that is going to compress my spine shall be done anytime soon which disappoints me. I was chasing a 495 dead and a 405 squat. Which are now both out the window

Just take a week off and stretch a ton. Once the shooting pain goes into more of an ache the end is near and you can get back to working out. I've done it too. You'll be fine and probably won't lose any strength.

Hey all, I don't want to come off as salesy but I work at Life Time Fitness Corporate (I'm not a membership slinger or anything, I actually work in National Recruiting) and once a year we are able to give away two discounted memberships. I just email you the offer and you sign up online. Right now it's going on (deal ends 12/31) if anyone is interested, DM me. Just trying to help out if anyone is interested.

Details:

*$0 joining fees
*$0 add on fees
*No contract
*Monthly dues savings of $10 for single membership and $20 for two or more people. (Discount doesn't expire.)
*Move It Session, a one-hour session to explore and experience equipment, discuss goals and develop a customized workout plan ($80 value).
*100 LT BUCK$, to use towards all services Life Time offers, such as Personal Training Sessions, Kids’ Swim Lessons, workout gear and many other options

Hey gang, Life Time extended this through 1/31 and gave me two more codes, so if you missed out or want to take advantage of this let me know. My other two codes went quick last time so PM me if interested. Easy deal, I just email you link and you fill out online.

Last edited:
Same with me man. Since I've strengthened my back a lot though and shoulders my reps have gone up on the same weight I was doing. I need to man up already and ask for a spot when I bench so I can try going heavier

Overhead press really helped me with my bench. Definitely ask for a spot, it's totally a mental / confidence thing too. Once you know and feel comfortable hitting higher weight you'll be repping it in no time.

Stronglifts 5x5 is a great start. Make sure you get your form down on all the lifts, it's crucial. Also, don't let ego get in the way especially when you're just starting out. Personally I didn't add any work to the 3 lifts in each workout but I don't see why you couldn't. Once you start lifting heavier weights the 3 lifts definitley take a toll on you, especially since you're squatting for every workout. Make sure you get adequate rest too. 
Which wireless earphones do you guys recommend? Recently lost my Power beats 2 and dont wanna spend another 200+ on a new pair
What's your budget?

I've only heard great things about the Jaybird Bluebuds X2. They're sub-$200 but they're still around $150 lol

Amazon product ASIN B013HSW4SM
Never owned wireless earbuds from them, but their wired pairs are great

Amazon product ASIN B018RP7X0O
Pretty budget friendly pair at sub-$25

Amazon product ASIN B00V7ZZSGS

I really like the way PH3 is set up for the big 3 lifts

But strongly dislike the lack of accessory work and lack of autoregulation on the big 3 lifts.

What do you guys mean by accessory work? Like isolation exercises?

I don't isolate anything except triceps and traps. Triceps for bench and traps so I can have big traps. :lol:

I guess abs too but that's common sense to me to prevent injury and get more power on my pulls.

I've been working out for years I just never cared about strength. Especially bench, I only focused on DL strength but stopped caring as well and just started doing 5 sets of 20 reps instead. My legs grew like crazy during that time but of course strength never went up

What do you guys mean by accessory work? Like isolation exercises?

I don't isolate anything except triceps and traps. Triceps for bench and traps so I can have big traps. :lol:

I guess abs too but that's common sense to me to prevent injury and get more power on my pulls.

Assistance workouts that'll bring up weak points. Could be both compound & isolation movements.

Word. I'm gonna google that.

Main accessory work I do is mostly arms because i have a hard to growing them unless I hit them with frequency and volume.

Main things I work on are shoulders. Cannot stress enough the importance of those DB lateral raises. I promise you your bench will go up if you're struggling

Oh I get what you're saying now. Yeah man. Those are slept on hard. I just did those the other day. I feel like that's your foundation for a lot. It's not like everything has to be heavy weight. You need a strong foundation too.

Oh I get what you're saying now. Yeah man. Those are slept on hard. I just did those the other day. I feel like that's your foundation for a lot. It's not like everything has to be heavy weight. You need a strong foundation too.

Yep. I always do a few sets of shoulder raises at least 2x a week.

I'm a fan of doing the side raise,front raise, shoulder press combo for one rep

Back
Top Bottom