STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

LMAOOOO

a serious accident waiting to happen :smh:

Foam roller for the legs and I just started using a tennis ball for my upper back. It's been unbelievably tight and "pinched" and the tennis ball works wonders. Instantly more flexibility.

Back to the green foods powder dicussion -- I juice my veggies for the AM and later in the afternoon combine Chlorella and Spirulina. The stuff is amazing.
speaking of greens, when I worked in the juice bar at whole foods people swore by wheatgrass and spirulina

there was a LA fitness right next door, not to mention small gyms, pilates and yoga studios around the area too. every time people would come from a workout and they would order a smoothie they would throw spirulina in there and take a shot of wheatgrass.....including NT's favorite Nicole Mejia

Got a cramp in my calf on Thursday after three miles into my 5 mile run. I've never gotten one before and two days later, it still hurts.

I bought a foam roller today and have used it quite a bit. It's helped a little bit and can see why people use them so much.

Any tips or ideas?

Got a cramp in my calf on Thursday after three miles into my 5 mile run. I've never gotten one before and two days later, it still hurts.

I bought a foam roller today and have used it quite a bit. It's helped a little bit and can see why people use them so much.

Any tips or ideas?

Only use it on your calf.

Stay away from your back.

not srs.

This isnt even high horse stuff. You cant come in here and start throwing around non-sense and get defensive when things are being questioned.

Is stretching the lower back dangerous? Is a massage dangerous? Is yoga dangerous?
All I'm saying is that the only time you come in here to post is to try and correct someone with your sports medicine background or whatever it is. It's always condescending. I just call it like I see it. I know other people in this thread feel that way, I'm just gonna call you out on it. I don't like you. Period. 

And you're reaaachinnng with your examples. I have a fragile back so I have muscle disease? 

And foam rolling is the same as stretching, massaging and yoga? COMPLETELY different things. But as long as you use extreme cases to help make you look better, go ahead.  The entire point is that foam rolling applies a force in a singular direction on your spine that can't really be controlled. Stretching and yoga doesn't apply any physical force to your back so I don't see how that's relevant. And massaging can be controlled by another person by applying a force in VARIOUS directions at a much lighter degree. Foam rolling causes the spine to bend in a direction it is not supposed to bend. Not to mention the amount of nerve bundles in the spine that can be damaged. 

Need me to go further? Should I draw a free body diagram with the simple mechanics involved? This is simple PHYSICS. Not nonsense. But your arguments consist of using extreme examples to make the people in this thread look stupid. 

Let's look back at the hydrostability statement I posted last week. You said that made no sense? You do realize that cars consists of anti locking braking systems? That defend against slipping and provide stability in wet conditions. Otherwise known as hydrostability? You want to know the SCIENCE behind this. Different fluids and materials have different coefficients of friction. Then there's kinetic and static friction. Look at at the force vs position graphs for an object to get it from stationary to moving. That's where kinetic and static friction come in. And those opposing forces are ultimately the reason behind ABS that try and provide hydrostability, the thing you said didn't make sense. 

Do I need to go on and on about how much non-sense I'm throwing around?  

You're a smart dude. We get it. I like the information you provide. You just don't have to try and make people feel stupid every time you post. It cultivates an environment in which people are afraid to ask questions that they genuinely don't know the answer to. As knowledgeable as you are, you lack the ability to realize that a majority of the people in this thread don't know as much about this stuff as you do. Just tone it down a little man. 

Last edited:
And foam rolling is the same as stretching, massaging and yoga? COMPLETELY different things. The entire point is that foam rolling applies a force in a singular direction on your spine that can't really be controlled.
Pretty much this.

If you want to massage the low back, tape two lacrosse balls together. The space between them allows room for spine. It's also a shorter structure, so your lumbar region stays closer to neutral and won't hyperextend as easily. Or just put a tennis ball against the wall.

Basically there are safer ways to get at the lumbar region.

All I'm saying is that the only time you come in here to post is to try and correct someone with your sports medicine background or whatever it is. It's always condescending. I just call it like I see it. I know other people in this thread feel that way, I'm just gonna call you out on it. I don't like you. Period. 
Uh oh the gloves are off now!!! These guys don't like you Dr Durden!! 
laugh.gif

I meant to type hot yoga 
laugh.gif
Anyone try yoga? It's offered every Saturday morning at my gym. Might want to check it out. Been wondering if anyone has seen benefits from doing it. I'm trying to work on mobility and flexibility.  My goal is to be able to develop a consistent roundhouse kick to the head for @Durden7  every time he posts. 

Last edited:

Anyone try yoga? It's offered every Saturday morning at my gym. Might want to check it out. Been wondering if anyone has seen benefits from doing it. I'm trying to work on mobility and flexibility.  My goal is to be able to develop a consistent roundhouse kick to the head for @Durden7  every time he posts. 
Watch out he might hit you with a foam roller

laugh.gif

In all seriousness, that's one of my biggest pet peeves. People trying to make other's feel stupid, whether its intentional or not. 

This ain't what this thread is about. It's biggest use is motivation and information. 

Nah bro this thread is for protein powder deals and for people to complain about how hey hurt themselves trying to squat 185 
laugh.gif
 On some days its the blind leading the blind in here. Hopefully the softies don't get upset about that.

Durden is legit, he's proved himself in here before, he just comes off like Sheldon Cooper 
roll.gif

Last edited:

Nah bro this thread is for protein powder deals and for people to complain about how hey hurt themselves trying to squat 185 
laugh.gif
With all this Michael B Jordan talk, soon enough the new york resolutioners are gonna pop in and post a pic of a celebrity. Then ask how they get like that
laugh.gif

Nah bro this thread is for protein powder deals and for people to complain about how hey hurt themselves trying to squat 185 :lol:  On some days its the blind leading the blind in here. Hopefully the softies don't get upset about that.

Durden is legit, he's proved himself in here before, he just comes off like Sheldon Cooper :rofl:  

Durden is this thread's WCIS. :lol:

This isnt even high horse stuff. You cant come in here and start throwing around non-sense and get defensive when things are being questioned.

Is stretching the lower back dangerous? Is a massage dangerous? Is yoga dangerous?

And you're reaaachinnng with your examples. I have a fragile back so I have muscle disease? 

And foam rolling is the same as stretching, massaging and yoga? COMPLETELY different things. But as long as you use extreme cases to help make you look better, go ahead.  The entire point is that foam rolling applies a force in a singular direction on your spine that can't really be controlled. Stretching and yoga doesn't apply any physical force to your back so I don't see how that's relevant. And massaging can be controlled by another person by applying a force in VARIOUS directions at a much lighter degree. Foam rolling causes the spine to bend in a direction it is not supposed to bend. Not to mention the amount of nerve bundles in the spine that can be damaged. 

Need me to go further? Should I draw a free body diagram with the simple mechanics involved? This is simple PHYSICS. Not nonsense. But your arguments consist of using extreme examples to make the people in this thread look stupid. 

Let's look back at the hydrostability statement I posted last week. You said that made no sense? You do realize that cars consists of anti locking braking systems? That defend against slipping and provide stability in wet conditions. Otherwise known as hydrostability? You want to know the SCIENCE behind this. Different fluids and materials have different coefficients of friction. Then there's kinetic and static friction. Look at at the force vs position graphs for an object to get it from stationary to moving. That's where kinetic and static friction come in. And those opposing forces are ultimately the reason behind ABS that try and provide hydrostability, the thing you said didn't make sense. 

Do I need to go on and on about how much non-sense I'm throwing around?  

You're a smart dude. We get it. I like the information you provide. You just don't have to try and make people feel stupid every time you post. It cultivates an environment in which people are afraid to ask questions that they genuinely don't know the answer to. As knowledgeable as you are, you lack the ability to realize that a majority of the people in this thread don't know as much about this stuff as you do. Just tone it down a little man. 

Im not saying you have to like me, just know that with all my posts Im not taking personal shots or attacks at whoevers posting. Its only questioning whats being said, not whos saying it.

I read every post in here, and it may seem like I only chime in when its to correct someone but im simply not interested in talking about protein powder, losing weight, *****ing about other gym goers, pre workouts, how "dumb" crossfit is,PRs, and anything nutrition related. If there were an actual conversation about something im interested in then i have no problems discussing it. It just seems as though all my posts are condescending but its not like im sitting here trying to figure out ways to bash every post.

I wasnt trying to say that yoga, stretching and massage are just like foam rolling. My point is that all of them apply pressure or force to the area. They can all be modified to limit the amount of force too, so if theres a problem with one then there should be a problem with all of them. Foam rolling the back can easily be controlled by the hands and feet to change how much pressure is being put on the roller. How does foam rolling put the spine in a position its not supposed to go? Also, im going to assume youve never taken a yoga class.

I was referring to hydrostability in terms of exercise and working out, not hydrostability in other conditions.

You can go back and look through all 3 versions of this thread and I can guarantee you ive NEVER made fun of someone for asking a "beginners question" or for genuinely not knowing the answer to something. Im not sitting here laughing at people for not knowing about exercise/movement/whatever. That ive NEVER done and never will, everrrrr.

Im not saying you have to like me, just know that with all my posts Im not taking personal shots or attacks at whoevers posting. Its only questioning whats being said, not whos saying it.

I read every post in here, and it may seem like I only chime in when its to correct someone but im simply not interested in talking about protein powder, losing weight, *****ing about other gym goers, pre workouts, how "dumb" crossfit is,PRs, and anything nutrition related. If there were an actual conversation about something im interested in then i have no problems discussing it. It just seems as though all my posts are condescending but its not like im sitting here trying to figure out ways to bash every post.

I wasnt trying to say that yoga, stretching and massage are just like foam rolling. My point is that all of them apply pressure or force to the area. They can all be modified to limit the amount of force too, so if theres a problem with one then there should be a problem with all of them. Foam rolling the back can easily be controlled by the hands and feet to change how much pressure is being put on the roller. How does foam rolling put the spine in a position its not supposed to go? Also, im going to assume youve never taken a yoga class.

I was referring to hydrostability in terms of exercise and working out, not hydrostability in other conditions.

You can go back and look through all 3 versions of this thread and I can guarantee you ive NEVER made fun of someone for asking a "beginners question" or for genuinely not knowing the answer to something. Im not sitting here laughing at people for not knowing about exercise/movement/whatever. That ive NEVER done and never will, everrrrr.

You've acknowledged that none of these are personal attacks and that you come off condescending. That's all I wanted to make you aware of. The fact that you're a bully

I know you are legit and provide very good info. You just gotta watch how you present it to people, that's all. Especially since lifting and staying in shape can be such a self conscious thing, the last thing we want is people to feel uncomfortable in here

You're good :pimp:

Last edited:

I meant to type hot yoga :lol:
Anyone try yoga? It's offered every Saturday morning at my gym. Might want to check it out. Been wondering if anyone has seen benefits from doing it. I'm trying to work on mobility and flexibility.  My goal is to be able to develop a consistent roundhouse kick to the head for @Durden7
 every time he posts. 

Ironically enough, i've been on and off with taking yoga for the past year or so. I love it. The benefits are awesome. Just check out the description of the class because theres different types of yoga and the class is structured differently depending on the type of yoga. The benefits really kick into another gear once the breath gets synced up with the movements. Thats tough to do initially though because youre so focused on the positions and being as flexible as a board.

Also, for anyone thinking about it, do NOT make your first yoga class be a Bikram class. Take a regular class first before trying a hot yoga class. From everything i've heard, the conditions are brutal.

:lol:

In all seriousness, that's one of my biggest pet peeves. People trying to make other's feel stupid, whether its intentional or not. 

This ain't what this thread is about. It's biggest use is motivation and information. 

Nah bro this thread is for protein powder deals and for people to complain about how hey hurt themselves trying to squat 185 :lol:  On some days its the blind leading the blind in here. Hopefully the softies don't get upset about that.

Durden is legit, he's proved himself in here before, he just comes off like Sheldon Cooper :rofl:  

Durden is this thread's WCIS. :lol:

WCIS?

Back
Top Bottom