STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

You don't like when I hit PRs bby 
frown.gif

Im not saying you have to like me, just know that with all my posts Im not taking personal shots or attacks at whoevers posting. Its only questioning whats being said, not whos saying it.

I read every post in here, and it may seem like I only chime in when its to correct someone but im simply not interested in talking about protein powder, losing weight, *****ing about other gym goers, pre workouts, how "dumb" crossfit is,PRs, and anything nutrition related. If there were an actual conversation about something im interested in then i have no problems discussing it. It just seems as though all my posts are condescending but its not like im sitting here trying to figure out ways to bash every post.

I wasnt trying to say that yoga, stretching and massage are just like foam rolling. My point is that all of them apply pressure or force to the area. They can all be modified to limit the amount of force too, so if theres a problem with one then there should be a problem with all of them. Foam rolling the back can easily be controlled by the hands and feet to change how much pressure is being put on the roller. How does foam rolling put the spine in a position its not supposed to go? Also, im going to assume youve never taken a yoga class.

I was referring to hydrostability in terms of exercise and working out, not hydrostability in other conditions.

You can go back and look through all 3 versions of this thread and I can guarantee you ive NEVER made fun of someone for asking a "beginners question" or for genuinely not knowing the answer to something. Im not sitting here laughing at people for not knowing about exercise/movement/whatever. That ive NEVER done and never will, everrrrr.

You've acknowledged that none of these are personal attacks and that you come off condescending. That's all I wanted to make you aware of. The fact that you're a bully

I know you are legit and provide very good info. You just gotta watch how you present it to people, that's all. Especially since lifting and staying in shape can be such a self conscious thing, the last thing we want is people to feel uncomfortable in here

You're good :pimp:

You get used to Durdens tone. Even I think hes condescending at times but like I said, you get used to it. :lol:

Yeah, I know. I can come off as a ****. Its never personal and intentional. My bad. :frown:

Ironically enough, i've been on and off with taking yoga for the past year or so. I love it. The benefits are awesome. Just check out the description of the class because theres different types of yoga and the class is structured differently depending on the type of yoga. The benefits really kick into another gear once the breath gets synced up with the movements. Thats tough to do initially though because youre so focused on the positions and being as flexible as a board.

Also, for anyone thinking about it, do NOT make your first yoga class be a Bikram class. Take a regular class first before trying a hot yoga class. From everything i've heard, the conditions are brutal.

WCIS?

The class my gym offers is Vinayasa? Any experience with that?

I'd try yoga. My gym has a virtual yoga studio or something. I usual just do abs in there and blast bankroll fresh by myself but I might turn the yoga tv on one day when I'm in too much pain to lift.

Ironically enough, i've been on and off with taking yoga for the past year or so. I love it. The benefits are awesome. Just check out the description of the class because theres different types of yoga and the class is structured differently depending on the type of yoga. The benefits really kick into another gear once the breath gets synced up with the movements. Thats tough to do initially though because youre so focused on the positions and being as flexible as a board.

Also, for anyone thinking about it, do NOT make your first yoga class be a Bikram class. Take a regular class first before trying a hot yoga class. From everything i've heard, the conditions are brutal.

WCIS?

The class my gym offers is Vinayasa? Any experience with that?

From what Ive heard its like a type of flow yoga, which is a good place to start. I take a flow yoga once a week and I really like it. Almost all of the stuff I do in a gym is pretty intense so its nice to have a hour a week to make a conscious effort to slow everything down and focus on positions and just breathing.

After the first class, your shoulders and hamstrings are probably going to be really sore.

Downdogs a ***** though, ill never like that position.

Some places have a power yoga class, which is a lot more balancing and strength positions. Ive taken that type of class too and really enjoyed it.

From what Ive heard its like a type of flow yoga, which is a good place to start. I take a flow yoga once a week and I really like it. Almost all of the stuff I do in a gym is pretty intense so its nice to have a hour a week to make a conscious effort to slow everything down and focus on positions and just breathing.

After the first class, your shoulders and hamstrings are probably going to be really sore.

Downdogs a ***** though, ill never like that position.

Some places have a power yoga class, which is a lot more balancing and strength positions. Ive taken that type of class too and really enjoyed it.

Noob question but will I be okay just popping in to a random class? Like do yoga classes often build upon things that were taught previously? Or does it not matter? Or does it depend on the instructor :lol:

Yeah, just pop into a random class. Typically the class is "formatted" in a similar manner each time but every class is different. They dont build upon the previous class but typically itll build upon itself within the class. So itll be like progressions of a movement. "If you feel like challenging yourself and making it more difficult, try doing X or Y". Things like that. You just take the movement to wherever youre comfortable and what your flexibility allows.

Just drop into any class and enjoy it. Its fun.

Anyone try yoga? It's offered every Saturday morning at my gym. Might want to check it out. Been wondering if anyone has seen benefits from doing it. I'm trying to work on mobility and flexibility.  My goal is to be able to develop a consistent roundhouse kick to the head for @Durden7
 every time he posts. 

Yoga is my thing every Sunday. Helps big time with mobility and my core is stronger.

I actually feel better after the class. I honestly suggest for people that are into weightlifting to try yoga out.

Anyone try yoga? It's offered every Saturday morning at my gym. Might want to check it out. Been wondering if anyone has seen benefits from doing it. I'm trying to work on mobility and flexibility.  My goal is to be able to develop a consistent roundhouse kick to the head for @Durden7
 every time he posts. 
Never tried a full workout but I have done some exercises during an isometric workout with a friend and it was surprisingly challenging. It helped me realize that my balance and flexibility aren't as good as I thought.

This guy from the car thread. You don't want to meet him. 

:lol:

You dont agree? :lol: More in the way how he rubs certain posters the wrong way.
:lol: They could possibly be best of friends. Durden is just fine with me but WCIS took me some time to get used to.

Last edited:

In all seriousness, that's one of my biggest pet peeves. People trying to make other's feel stupid, whether its intentional or not. 
That's what I hate about the fitness community and that's why workout at home. It's hard to find people who aren't either:

1. standoffish/"I'm better than you" or

2. completely jamming their philosophies down your throat

The most positive experiences I've had (where actual science is applied) is with appointments with my physio.

Or you can pop some headphones on and just do your thing at the gym. Everyone at my gym is pretty cool, no one had a pompous/elitist attitude.

Or you can pop some headphones on and just do your thing at the gym. Everyone at my gym is pretty cool, no one had a pompous/elitist attitude.
I've spent so much money accruing equipment over the years it would be a waste of money. The commute ain't bad either.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom