STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Man been on vacation for the past week. Losing all kinds of gains. I swear I lost a good 10lb

Well...I know why my back was fried a few months back.

IMG_2907.jpg

Forward lean = increased stress on my back. Forward head posture doesn't help either.

My ankle flexibility is trash and I always knew it was an I never fully addressed it. I've been doing some mobility work. Its a join blockage over the front of my ankle. Could probably use some soft tissue work too.

Anyway, here's how I looked with a heel lift.

IMG_2908.jpg

Soooooooo much better.

Just a reminder guys: audit yourselves. None of us are perfect. We're all doing SOMETHING wrong. Check yourself before you wreck yourself I like I did.

I got poor ankle flexibility too, although its been getting better.

I cant remember that guys name but he posts vids on youtube, dude has a hectic beard... But he has a good video of stuff to do to help ankle flexibility. Goblet squats definitely help. I even started out with just putting a band around one of the bars of the power rack and using it as support while i squatted.

Another issue i have besides the poor ankle flexibility was leading with the knees instead of the hips. Ive really been working on that the past few months (since guys in here pointed it out, shoutout you guys). Squat form has improved A LOT since i started posting in here.

Also... I did the put my heels on plates thing. Was ok at first but once the weight increased it was shaky. I wasnt 100% focused on the lift, part of me was worried about my footing. Since i got some squat shoes it's definitely helped as well

Also... I did the put my heels on plates thing. Was ok at first but once the weight increased it was shaky. I wasnt 100% focused on the lift, part of me was worried about my footing. Since i got some squat shoes it's definitely helped as well

This. Cop some squat shoes y’all. Still work on ankle mobility but some romaleos or adipowers will work wonders. I wouldn't trust having plates under my heels for any significant weight.

As far as ankle mobility goes. Do wall touches with your knees. Does wonders right before squats.

Also, if you think about it. Calf muscles are always tight...when you sleep, your foot goes automatically into flexion, for 8 or so hours no less, causing your calf muscle to get tight.

If you can avoid it, don't buy lifting shoes..you'll rely too much on the elevated heel and cause some dysfunctional movements.

On the pull up challenge..... surely after it’s all said and done we’ll be able to crank out more pull ups at a time than we did before, right? Assuming we aren’t adding pounds

Just curious cuz when I started I could do about 12ish at a time. Other than day 1 when I did 130, I’ve been avg about 50-60/day. Now I feel like I can do about 9-10 at a time. :nerd:

Wait I know you guys aren't cosigning the plates under your feet right? That doesn't help your mobility problem at all and is even more dangerous and you'll never be able to squat any significant amount of weight that way. Not coming at anyone, I have horrible mobility as we found out with that OHP exercise :lol:

I would actually disagree with the above and say buy lifting shoes versus using plates at least. I learned how to squat barefoot and eventually made the change to chucks to Romaleos. If you have good squat form and can do it without the heels then using them should be fine. No one asks how good your ankle mobility is when you're in the jungle bros.

First month of bulking complete. 3 to go.

Got a doc appt on the 31st. Gonna tell her about my knée and NO I DON'T WANT NO PHYSICAL THERAPY, just give me the MRI. They had me doing stuff I could do at the gym, so I stopped going, both times I was assigned to sessions.

Shoulder is getting better. Been cycling fish oil + tart cherry.

Good looks with the tart cherry suggestion, I looked up a couple of studies on it after I bought it. It's A1.

Wait I know you guys aren't cosigning the plates under your feet right? That doesn't help your mobility problem at all and is even more dangerous and you'll never be able to squat any significant amount of weight that way. Not coming at anyone, I have horrible mobility as we found out with that OHP exercise :lol:

I would actually disagree with the above and say buy lifting shoes versus using plates at least. I learned how to squat barefoot and eventually made the change to chucks to Romaleos. If you have good squat form and can do it without the heels then using them should be fine. No one asks how good your ankle mobility is when you're in the jungle bros.

True. Or just work in a limited ROM (box squats or something) while simultaneously working on ankle mobility until you can get to full ROM.

Tore my ACL a few months back. Had surgery today. Anyone ever go through this? Any tips?

Best of luck man. But in this case i say take the tips your doctor gives you. Im assuming they said you will need a couple of months before you can start exercising?

Thanks man, absolutely planning on that. Just curious if any of y'all went through this before and had some wisdom to pass on.

I "draw the ABC's" in the air with my foot too. Helps to loosen the ankle up before deads or squats.

Seen this technique around. Definitely have to work it in.

Yeah definitely not for increasing mobility at all. It was more of a way to see the difference between what adequate ankle ROM would look like and what I'm actually doing and in doing that I saw the forward lean that was killing my back and highlighted the need for continued mobility work.

I'm doing this currently.

Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 8.20.30 PM.png

I can feel the pinching in front of my ankle almost vanish after a good set of this. It was an acute reaction. I need to be doing these much more often, but my problem is a joint blockage. Probably some soft tissue restrictions as well, but the join itself needs to be addressed.

Back
Top Bottom