STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

took 2 days off because freeze told me to do so a while back when i'm feeling wrecked so i'm ready to go in today and punish the **** out of my legs.

pimp.gif

iLLest!
You're acting like 2 days off is some kind of marathon rest?
Third week of deadlifting. My plan today was to top out at 375x5 (10 lbs up from last week), but the guy in the rack beside me displayed some serious old man strength deadlifting 4 plates. So, I was like "**** that" and ended up doing 405x5, then 435x3.

Ego lifted, but everything went better than expected.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
Strong username to ego-lifting correlation ratio. Judging by your physique, you're not new to the gym, any reason why it took until now to incorporate deads?

Also, on the food side of things, nothing better than some dark chocolate to get in some recovery cals.
I actually started to edit my post to say this myself.
laugh.gif

I'm not new to deads. I just dropped them for the last year, when I decided I wasn't really trying to put on anymore mass and didn't want to risk any injury.

Last edited:
26 days in folks. Never weighed myself when I started but I'm sure I was a good 250. Cardio everyday but two and those days I still did some ab work, pushups, and bicep curls. Complete diet change. Eating healthier, eating breakfast...lol...no late meals...No Keisha Cole...feelsgoodman...New found energy is the bomb...Another month before I go hard on the weights. Really wish I started this lifestyle change earlier. I'm seeing how it can be addicting once you actually start it up.

Not really. The forearms arent designed to be a big muscle group. Why would you want bigger forearms without an increase in strength?

i like the way that big forearms look and i would love an increase in strength.
i just thought that wrist curls did both. what exercises would you recommend that does both?

NT bros,

I have been browsing through this thread, and doing my own research, cut out a lot of junk from my diet. so Thanks..

I am 5'8 140-145lbs , avg build, no gut, no tone, and soft upper body, soft arms, and chest, and i probably have a higher bf% than i should. :rolleyes

i have been trying to play bball/running cardio 5x a week. for the last 4 weeks and i feel great. For cardio i do the eliptical for like 40 minutes til i get tired, and sometimes i switch it up to the treadmill..i burn like 450 cals a session. For the last 2 weeks i try to do at least 100 pushups a day just to feel sore. Idk if that helps or not..im a newb

I know i should add some weight training ..

My goal:
is to lower my bf % and harden up my body. I am not looking to gain a lot of mass, i just want to look healthy. and add some tone/muscle..stay lean and lightweight . Im a smaller guy so i want to remain light weight, its easier on me, since i have had some ankle/foot injuries in the past.

any advice

please help me out, im willing to put in the work

Last edited:
just a thought: you might do well if you do less warm up reps and spend more time stretching. 315 x 3 is good if you're going deep though. hope you don't bench more than that.

i prefer 1-3 reps at lower increments stepping upwards just to get the feel. 20 with the bar might be good to get the blood flowing but those 15, 10, 5 and 3 reps at those weights might have taken some power out of your 1rm. after you max out you can pyramid down. just a suggestion though.

NT bros,

I have been browsing through this thread, and doing my own research, cut out a lot of junk from my diet. so Thanks..

I am 5'8 140-145lbs , avg build, no gut, no tone, and soft upper body, soft arms, and chest, and i probably have a higher bf% than i should. :rolleyes

i have been trying to play bball/running cardio 5x a week. for the last 4 weeks and i feel great. For cardio i do the eliptical for like 40 minutes til i get tired, and sometimes i switch it up to the treadmill..i burn like 450 cals a session. For the last 2 weeks i try to do at least 100 pushups a day just to feel sore. Idk if that helps or not..im a newb

I know i should add some weight training ..

My goal:
is to lower my bf % and harden up my body. I am not looking to gain a lot of mass, i just want to look healthy. and add some tone/muscle..stay lean and lightweight . Im a smaller guy so i want to remain light weight, its easier on me, since i have had some ankle/foot injuries in the past.

any advice

please help me out, im willing to put in the work

you gonna get your usual bro tips in here, but ima share my philosophy :
Cardio is helpful but not necessary. Your diet is crucial and will comprise 90% of your success. Cut out all processed carbs (better to exclude bread altogether), bad oils (hydrogenated/saturated), and anything with sugar and especially HFCS. Pretty much any type of processed food and the further it is removed from the source, the worse it is for you. It might be hard at first, but incorporate this into your lifestyle so its not just a temporary diet plan. Eat lots of veggies and greens as well as good fats. Everyone will have their own approach but personally, i've become a lot more toned over the past year and especially the last few months and I NEVER do cardio because i hate feeling like a hamster and I sit in the office for 8 hrs a day while going to the gym for 3-4 times a week. It cannot be stressed enough how important your food is. I can't help but feel a little sad looking at people going ham on the treadmill only to stay looking like an amoeba, while all that effort is not even necessary, just eat right.

Last edited:
i hit a wall at -15lbs... im trying to drop more but its not going anywhere... i know diet is a BIG part, and it is my priority but is still a slight struggle... there are so many things to read or see "healthy" things to eat, it just seems more and more complicated... can someone try to help me out with what to eat.. that are not to complicated.. i mean tell me.. is the naked green machine healthy... is that a good breakfast, yogurt?... protein shakes?... if someone can help find a menu or some sort it would be helpful... thanks in advance...

i hit a wall at -15lbs... im trying to drop more but its not going anywhere... i know diet is a BIG part, and it is my priority but is still a slight struggle... there are so many things to read or see "healthy" things to eat, it just seems more and more complicated... can someone try to help me out with what to eat.. that are not to complicated.. i mean tell me.. is the naked green machine healthy... is that a good breakfast, yogurt?... protein shakes?... if someone can help find a menu or some sort it would be helpful... thanks in advance...
Breakfast: oatmeal + fruit, skim/2% greek yogurt + fruit (this keeps me full for almost 5 hours)
Lunch: roast beef on whole wheat with hummus, apple, clementines
After work snack: salad (lettuce, garbanzo beans, beets, tomatoes, blue cheese, yogurt-based blue cheese dressing)
Dinner: chicken, whole wheat pasta/rice, veggies in olive oil
Snack: carrots and hummus

I eat variations of this pretty much every day. Other good snacks are roasted garbanzo beans and edamame.

Lol my cousin left a comment on my Instagram photo on the right saying I'm looking too skinny and losing too much weight LOL

I
Breakfast: oatmeal + fruit, skim/2% greek yogurt + fruit (this keeps me full for almost 5 hours)
Lunch: roast beef on whole wheat with hummus, apple, clementines
After work snack: salad (lettuce, garbanzo beans, beets, tomatoes, blue cheese, yogurt-based blue cheese dressing)
Dinner: chicken, whole wheat pasta/rice, veggies in olive oil
Snack: carrots and hummus

I eat variations of this pretty much every day. Other good snacks are roasted garbanzo beans and edamame.
Thanks.. That sounds like a lot of food.. Is that workout food or cutting weight food.. Is there a difference?

Over worked my bi's yesterday.....my arms throb today.
Shoulders and traps today....might hit some lats if time permits....

Dude at the gym yesterday was squatting while wearing a tank top that said in huge font on the front "Shut up and Squat".......he also was sitting down for squats. I don't know if this is normal or not. He put a jump-box under him (which i have seen people go down touch butt to box and back up). But homie would sit down.....like sit wait like 2 seconds and then stand up. It looked terrible for lower back because he was sitting and leaning back a bit due to the fact that he was doing this with 315-365lbs at a given time. So momentum alone was carrying him back a bit. But is this what is really good? Is this how you Shut up and Squat???

Last edited:
Miss two workouts in a row and probably will miss another tomorrow, how do you guys stay focus when you are sick? Do you try to recover and then hit the gym once you are feeling better or do you fight through it and just go through the sniffles and congestion? 

Just finished my legs...

They're dunzo :lol:

Did my cardio altogether before hitting the weights

Cardio
20 min

Seated Barbell Twist
150 reps, per side

Leg Extensions
2 warm up sets of 8-10 reps
1 drop set of 100 total reps

Leg Press
3 rest-pause sets to failure in 30 reps

Standing Leg Curl
1 warm up set of 8-10 reps
3 sets to failure in 20 reps

Hack Squat
3 rest-pause sets to failure in 30 reps

Cardio
20 min

Legs wobbly, if a cop would've pulled me over tonight, I'd be locked up like Akon.  No way I would've walked in a straight line.  Mission accomplished.
smokin.gif
Same here!
Wonderful feeling, ain't it?
i prefer 1-3 reps at lower increments stepping upwards just to get the feel. 20 with the bar might be good to get the blood flowing but those 15, 10, 5 and 3 reps at those weights might have taken some power out of your 1rm. after you max out you can pyramid down. just a suggestion though.
Yeah...that's a flaw I noticed with my training.  Since I've cut down on the warm up sets, my gains have improved.

Last edited:

Told you people are willing to help here, bruh. Most people here aren't elitists, and will answer questions.

As for food...losing weight is calories in vs calories out. That's in the simplest form. Also, it depends on whether you just want to look good or actually be healthy...differing opinions on that.

______

As for me, I'm not taking any caffeine pills before I go to the gym anymore. Took 1 pill last week for my last 2 workouts, and I was having trouble breathing normally. Made my workouts suck.

Today was a good day though. Deadlifted:

1 set at 225x3
2 sets at 245x5
1 set at 255x5

I want to deadlift 2x my body weight by the end of summer...that's around 320-350 lbs. I want to do sets though, not just 1RM.

Over worked my bi's yesterday.....my arms throb today.
Shoulders and traps today....might hit some lats if time permits....

Dude at the gym yesterday was squatting while wearing a tank top that said in huge font on the front "Shut up and Squat".......he also was sitting down for squats. I don't know if this is normal or not. He put a jump-box under him (which i have seen people go down touch butt to box and back up). But homie would sit down.....like sit wait like 2 seconds and then stand up. It looked terrible for lower back because he was sitting and leaning back a bit due to the fact that he was doing this with 315-365lbs at a given time. So momentum alone was carrying him back a bit. But is this what is really good? Is this how you Shut up and Squat???
That's weird. I sometimes put a medicine ball under me, but not a box. Squats are about being unbroken motions, at least that is what i have been told. Dude is asking for that back pain later.

Miss two workouts in a row and probably will miss another tomorrow, how do you guys stay focus when you are sick? Do you try to recover and then hit the gym once you are feeling better or do you fight through it and just go through the sniffles and congestion? 
I usually just do cardio and hit the steam room to sweat it all out.

I usually just do cardio and hit the steam room to sweat it all out.

When you're sick you have to be careful. You're immune system is at its weakest, so you don't wanna make things worse and catch germs and sicknesses that others have in the gym. And trust me...theres LOTS OF germs in gyms :x

If i was you i would stretch, maybe do some push ups and maybe a nice walk around the park or something IF YOU REALLY WANT TO. Keep it simple. Don't punish your body when it's already suffering internally.

But personally, when Im sick i rest my body...try to fully recover, then go back to the gym feeling 110% ready to kill those weights.

Last edited:
Kinda new to NT and just found this thread. I have been in the fitness industry for around 10 yrs. Both as a personal trainer and gym owner. I am currently an Exercise Physiologist in Cardiopulmonary Rehab in a hospital. I have been working out for over 12 years and still feel like I have alot to improve on. NEVER SATISFY! I look forward to helping NT when I can and also getting feedback from all of you. Currently I am 5'9 227 with 12%BF (using calipers). I have been training for my first powerlifting even next weekend. I have been following Jim Wendlers' 5/3/1 program. My numbers are not where I want them to be, but I try to get better everday. 

Here is my current routine

MONDAY:

Squat: 1st week: 3x5 1xfailure. 2nd week: 3x3 1xfailure 3rd week: 5/3/1/1

Leg press: 5x10

Stillleg Deadlift 5x10

Calf raises: 4x20

TUESDAY

Flat Bench: Reps are the same for the main exercises 3x5. 3x3 and then 5/3/1/1

Incline DB press 5x8-10

DB chesy flys 3x10

Weighted dips 5xfailure

Triceps pushdown

WED: OFF

THURSDAY:

Deadlift: same as other main lifts

Bentover rows 5x10

weighted pull-ups 4x10

BB bicep curls 4x8-10

FRIDAY: 

Standing Shoulder Press: same as other main lifts

Seated DB presses: 5x8-10

DB laterals 4x10

Lying triceps ext. 4x8-10

Rope pushdowns 4x10

SAT & SUN OFF or light cardio.

I have been doing this for about 3 months now. Caloric intake is about 25% over maintenance

I've  gained about 15lb of BW Mostly muscle, but a little fat. Body fat from 10% to 12% now

Lifts have increased steadly 
Squats up to 525 from 495

Bench up to 370 from 355

Deads up to 500 from 455

Shoulder press up 255 from 230

Not bad for 3 months but far from winning a meet in my weight class.

Back
Top Bottom