STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Maybe, but on another note I've seen people benching high weight and can't do 20 push ups. Never understood why
Bodyweight exercises require more strength (definitely in the core) and usually more motion.. ie.. a pull up requires the say 200 guy to pull up 200 pounds of his weight as opposed to the lat pulldown where you are seated and pulling down which requires less motion and strength..

Btw CT Fletcher is that dude.. and dc I like routine.. I can't wait until it gets warmer..
My routine is something like this

3 sets of 15 pull ups.. wide, narrow, close(or muscle ups)
2 sets of 25 push ups wide.. military
3 sets of 15 dips.. narrow, horizontal, narrow
Abs.. fludders, knee raises, crunches etc.. until I can't breathe

^^^ try to do 2-3 cycles

Maybe, but on another note I've seen people benching high weight and can't do 20 push ups. Never understood why
Bodyweight exercises require more strength (definitely in the core) and usually more motion.. ie.. a pull up requires the say 200 guy to pull up 200 pounds of his weight as opposed to the lat pulldown where you are seated and pulling down which requires less motion and strength..

Btw CT Fletcher is that dude.. and dc I like routine.. I can't wait until it gets warmer..

^^^ try to do 2-3 cycles
really? they cant do 20 push ups on the spot? or you mean 20 pushups after doing their chest workout?

ok, i know everyone is different

but if a guy can do the generic 3 for 10 on lat pulldowns and hes 200 doing 200, 10reps of pull ups is probably cake

^^^ try to do 2-3 cycles
really? they cant do 20 push ups on the spot? or you mean 20 pushups after doing their chest workout?

ok, i know everyone is different

but if a guy can do the generic 3 for 10 on lat pulldowns and hes 200 doing 200, 10reps of pull ups is probably cake

I dont think its cake at all.

The movements are very different and the muscles act differently during each movement. It also depends on what kind of lat pulldown machine is being used. The form plays a big role too. Ive seen way too many people do lat pulldowns incorrectly using heavy weights.

Man, I did shoulders and biceps last night then a "light" chest day today.

Struggled at 185lbs when I did 225 a few days ago. Shoudve spaced it more apart by my boy wanted to go lol. Still got a good chest workout. Heavy day is Monday. Cant wait.
smokin.gif

For negatives, did you just jump up to the bar (with your chest meeting the bar), then lower yourself slowly from that point?
you can use a chair or something raised and step up and off.

best thing i did to increase my pull-ups was to lose weight. serious. there are quite a few programs designed to help increase your reps. one was to do 50 a day using as many sets as you needed. once you get to a certain amount that you can do in one set, you increase your total reps to like 75 or a 100. i forget the name of that program - was some military guy.

This week is all calisthenics.  Tossed in some HIIT on the treadmill to spice it up to supplement the jumprope.  I love being able to switch it up and still maintain my strength when I go back to the weights.  If you don't confuse your body and keep your workouts interesting, it'll become a chore after a while.
I said this before. Last summer, my "routine" consisted of biking 10+ miles;

3 sets of

15 narrow pullups

15 wide grip pullups

30 pushups

30 tricep dips

That was my routine. My back was (is) so strong from that work.

Don't tell me it is an overrated exercise

my pull up rack gets in today from amazon...

how many times a week do you think is good to be doing pull ups... keep in mind I am one of those guys who can bench 3 plates, but not do more than 8 pull ups... need work BAD
Is the low pullup # due to the issues with your back or just lacking strength compared to other areas?

Do negatives.  Start at the top of the movement.  Lower yourself as slow as possible.  Made all of the difference in the world for me.  I sucked at doing pullups a few years back.  Negatives made all of the difference.

Not sure what your split is like, but I'm sure you should be able to work pullups in 3x a week and be fine.  I do 'em on back day, arms day, and sometimes I have a calisthenics/plyo day and do them on that day as well.

my problem was that the first 10 years that I spent lifting weights was for pure "beach body" purposes... heavy bench, shoulder press, etc... I got top heavy and pull ups were never apart of the equation (did lat pulls downs and all that stuff, but never pull ups)

in the last year or so I cut down from 230 to 185/190 and I am focussing on more of a balanced attack. I am not sure if it cutting the weight down, or because I lowered the weights and go for full ranges of motion, but pull ups are starting to come around. I want to get equally as strong in pull ups as I am in chest (I can slam real heavy on incline bench- reps and max)

Lol yo when Im bored, I love doing dips lmao. Watching TV ill just find a chair or bench in the crib and start doing madd dips :pimp:

Why didnt I ever think of this!!!

Just got some of that Julian Bread posted a couple pages back at Whole Foods... $11 though. :x

TBH...worst "bread" I've ever sunk my teeth into. I'd much rather make time to make my own Paleo bread at home with all these recipes floating online

that sounds :x

but i bet its hella good for you 

It was awesome :lol: it gives it such a creamy texture, can't taste the avocado!

Plus, the fact it raised my fats closer to their daily goals made it that much better haha

I dont think its cake at all.

The movements are very different and the muscles act differently during each movement. It also depends on what kind of lat pulldown machine is being used. The form plays a big role too. Ive seen way too many people do lat pulldowns incorrectly using heavy weights.
well i have everything working against me (6'2 with a 6'6 wingspan and 204lbs) and although i know everyones different, 10 is cake for me

i could never do pull ups before i started doing heavy lat pulldowns

UA is close to coming out with new tech that tracks crazy info while working out. I cant wait till it released. Its like a Nike+ wristband but as a shirt and tracks wayyyy more info

UA is close to coming out with new tech that tracks crazy info while working out. I cant wait till it released. Its like a Nike+ wristband but as a shirt and tracks wayyyy more info
Not helpful for those of us who don't wear shirts.

:lol:

Breakfast

"Omelet" + Turkey Kielbasa on English Muffin (Little Jelly and a Little Screaming Hornets Hot Sauce)
Shake (Almond milk, Strawberry, Banana, Fresh Ginger)

I want everyone to be mature and answer this. How often do you go to the bathroom? #2. Are you regular? Are you going everyday?

Breakfast

"Omelet" + Turkey Kielbasa on English Muffin (Little Jelly and a Little Screaming Hornets Hot Sauce)

I want everyone to be mature and answer this. How often do you go to the bathroom? #2. Are you regular? Are you going everyday?

:lol:

Seriously though, since moving to this Keto thing, I go a consistent 1-2x a day as opposed to once every other day doing IF on its own

Breakfast

With the amount of protein I take in. I usually go twice a day. Regularly.

Anybody else drinks Mix 1 (All-Natural protein shake)? I LOVE THIS STUFF

15 grams of whey protein isolate

2 to 1 carb to protein ratio

antioxidants = 3 servings of fruits/veggies

FREE OF LACTOSE, GLUTEN, SOY & CAFFEINE

90 calories for the Mix 1 Lite and 200 calories for the Mix 1

Last edited:
Breakfast

With the amount of protein I take in. I usually go twice a day. Regularly.
Every morning!! 

Did legs yesterday. Ive chilled on trying to max. I think last week i did go for a max set did two reps at 350lbs. But this week i tried to just up my reps at 315lb. Did 5 reps at 315lb then did 3 reps at 335lb. I think im going to try to stay in that range and just try to be able to put up 8 reps at 315 at some point. But pyramid down and did two sets of 10 at 225 and then did 20 reps at the end at 135. Did seated calf raises then did lunges then standing calf raises.

My legs are on fire today....it makes it hard to sleep which i hate i feel like i have restless leg syndrome or something.

This week is all calisthenics.  Tossed in some HIIT on the treadmill to spice it up to supplement the jumprope.  I love being able to switch it up and still maintain my strength when I go back to the weights.  If you don't confuse your body and keep your workouts interesting, it'll become a chore after a while.

Is the low pullup # due to the issues with your back or just lacking strength compared to other areas?

Do negatives.  Start at the top of the movement.  Lower yourself as slow as possible.  Made all of the difference in the world for me.  I sucked at doing pullups a few years back.  Negatives made all of the difference.

Not sure what your split is like, but I'm sure you should be able to work pullups in 3x a week and be fine.  I do 'em on back day, arms day, and sometimes I have a calisthenics/plyo day and do them on that day as well.
For negatives, did you just jump up to the bar (with your chest meeting the bar), then lower yourself slowly from that point?
Grab a chair or something to stand on.  Start at the top, get your grip and lower slowly.
you can use a chair or something raised and step up and off.

best thing i did to increase my pull-ups was to lose weight. serious. there are quite a few programs designed to help increase your reps. one was to do 50 a day using as many sets as you needed. once you get to a certain amount that you can do in one set, you increase your total reps to like 75 or a 100. i forget the name of that program - was some military guy.
That's very true, but there are a lot of people I know with sub 10% BF who just don't have the strength to do pullups.
I said this before. Last summer, my "routine" consisted of biking 10+ miles;

3 sets of

15 narrow pullups

15 wide grip pullups

30 pushups

30 tricep dips

That was my routine. My back was (is) so strong from that work.

Don't tell me it is an overrated exercise

my pull up rack gets in today from amazon...

how many times a week do you think is good to be doing pull ups... keep in mind I am one of those guys who can bench 3 plates, but not do more than 8 pull ups... need work BAD

my problem was that the first 10 years that I spent lifting weights was for pure "beach body" purposes... heavy bench, shoulder press, etc... I got top heavy and pull ups were never apart of the equation (did lat pulls downs and all that stuff, but never pull ups)

in the last year or so I cut down from 230 to 185/190 and I am focussing on more of a balanced attack. I am not sure if it cutting the weight down, or because I lowered the weights and go for full ranges of motion, but pull ups are starting to come around. I want to get equally as strong in pull ups as I am in chest (I can slam real heavy on incline bench- reps and max)
Makes sense.  Pulling less weight will help, but it's one of those things that takes time.  Seriously took me forever before I could get to double digits on pullups.  Like you, I pride myself on being well balanced and took a similar fitness journey.

A few years back after graduating college, I really started to focus on a fit lifestyle.  I always had a naturally big frame, but there was some BF that needed to go.  Once I got rid of that and got myself to a weight that I felt comfortable with, I went balls to the wall lifting heavy.  Coming from a background of being into martial arts and boxing as a kid/teen, it was a change.  I put on good muscle mass and looked great, but my bodyweight movements suffered.  That's the biggest reason why I switch up my workouts all the time now.  Strength wise, my lifts are pretty damn good, but I'm more proud of the fact that I can do 100 pushups straight, 20+ pullups, and a good amount of dips.  I never really wanted to limit myself to just being a "bodybuilder" or an "athlete."  Sorry for the wall of text.
laugh.gif

I would just say stick with it and incorporate the negatives.   Out of nowhere you'll notice the gains as you build the stabilizer muscles.

Back
Top Bottom