STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Not too sure about this would like to know as well....but for me personally i don't understand how to get up to 4-5 reps without increasing weight. It just doesn't make sense. If i squat say 315lbs now. I can do that 4-5 times. Then i say ok i think i can do more now that i have that down. I add 20lbs. Then i do 335lbs...but i can't get to 4-5 reps yet....so i do one or two. Then the next time i do 2 or 3...then the next time i do 3 or 4.....like at some point you can't just do 4-5 reps. You have to work to it. Am i supposed to keep doing 315lb until i can get like 15 reps so when i step up in weight i should be able to get to the 4-5 reps easier?

You're doing it right. You're supposed to slowly increase the weight on a weekly basis and then increase the reps throughout the week. Doesn't have to be a weekly thing but follow that same pattern. Did the exact same thing during starting strength and my squat skyrocketed

It's National Chest Day so i think i will work on everything but chest crew
Nah im still doing chest/tris/shoulders
laugh.gif

Not too sure about this would like to know as well....but for me personally i don't understand how to get up to 4-5 reps without increasing weight. It just doesn't make sense. If i squat say 315lbs now. I can do that 4-5 times. Then i say ok i think i can do more now that i have that down. I add 20lbs. Then i do 335lbs...but i can't get to 4-5 reps yet....so i do one or two. Then the next time i do 2 or 3...then the next time i do 3 or 4.....like at some point you can't just do 4-5 reps. You have to work to it. Am i supposed to keep doing 315lb until i can get like 15 reps so when i step up in weight i should be able to get to the 4-5 reps easier?
Thats what I was thinking. I want the weight that I can only do 3 times so one day it will feel lighter and I can do it for 5 reps easily. Im not going to just lower the weight just to get 5 reps. 

leg day. gonna go hard. just the basic movements. lots of squats lots of lunges.
Just demolished mine....was limping out the place :lol:

A guy I know at my gym came up to me while I was squatting and asked me why I did such low reps, I had just told him I did a couple of singles and triples. I told him I was training for strength, he precedes to tell me that its scientifically proven that 4-5 reps is as low as your should go when strength training and it will help your body out in the long run. Does anyone agree with this? I usually do a 5x5 but have been doing some triples and singles lately just to see how high I can go.

you can, just instead of adding 20lbs, add 10. raise the weight in lower increments and you'll find you can do it more often as the strength gains will seem to come faster, as opposed to just jumping 20-25lbs. 4-5 rep range is typically prime for strength gains. 6-8 being best for muscle growth. And above that being endurance. But you really need a combination of all 3 sets to create a more complete over all physique.

I can do 225 easy without the smith machine and at the gym I workout that's all they have...yea I know planet fitness sucks but for 10 bucks a month can't beat it

Just out of curiosity, have you done 225 with a barbell?

What results are you expecting to see

I know results don't happen overnight - I just don't see much change in them. It's more a feeling thing tbh. It's not a big deal since I've been focusing more on bench, squats, deadlifts and military press but it's probably the only body part/lift where I'm not happy with my progress so far. I'm gonna give my core a break tomorrow so I want to isolate the biceps.

those are solid workout, if you are also doing your back you are hitting them enough. maybe your bi-ceps in general dont respond well or genetics?

That might be true but before I chalk it up to genetics, I want to make sure I go as hard as possible + try different things. I'm sure my routine is the problem and not my genetics.

I'll add in preacher curls tomorrow + pull ups. Also I'm going to emphasize rows more on pull day. Thanks guys.

Stop doing bicep exercises for awhile. Seriously, its easssilyy the most overtrained muscle group/exercise. Unnecessary.

leg day. gonna go hard. just the basic movements. lots of squats lots of lunges.
Just demolished mine....was limping out the place :lol:

A guy I know at my gym came up to me while I was squatting and asked me why I did such low reps, I had just told him I did a couple of singles and triples. I told him I was training for strength, he precedes to tell me that its scientifically proven that 4-5 reps is as low as your should go when strength training and it will help your body out in the long run. Does anyone agree with this? I usually do a 5x5 but have been doing some triples and singles lately just to see how high I can go.

If you were able to get 315, why is the next weight increase 20 lbs? Why cant it be 5 or 10 lbs?

you can, just instead of adding 20lbs, add 10. raise the weight in lower increments and you'll find you can do it more often as the strength gains will seem to come faster, as opposed to just jumping 20-25lbs. 4-5 rep range is typically prime for strength gains. 6-8 being best for muscle growth. And above that being endurance. But you really need a combination of all 3 sets to create a more complete over all physique.
yes. I would modify the hypertrophy range to 8-12 though

What is everyone's view on taking time off? 

Coming up on a year now I've been extremely focused with diet and in the gym 6 days a week. I have the hardest time making myself take it easy.   

I can do 225 easy without the smith machine and at the gym I workout that's all they have...yea I know planet fitness sucks but for 10 bucks a month can't beat it
uh huh. Sure. I like planet fitness though. They keep all the dummies away from the real gyms.
leg day. gonna go hard. just the basic movements. lots of squats lots of lunges
Post your leg workout Freeze. The sets and reps of things. Also i wanna see your forearm workout.

Does anyone read? The guy doesn't have access to a squat rack, only a smith machine.

I don't have a squat rack or smith machine, but I still find a way to squat.

Of course smith is better than nothing in the short term. My post wasn't telling the dude to stop squatting on the smith, it was to inform that barbell is better overall. Just food for thought.

Coming up on a year now I've been extremely focused with diet and in the gym 6 days a week. I have the hardest time making myself take it easy.   
Its difficult for me to take time off. I'm forcing myself to do 2 on 1 off right now, though. May eventually take a real break, like a month.

Doing mostly calisthenics at the moment, needed the physical and mental break from the weights. I'm all for training hard, but sometimes your body needs a break.

Last edited:

if you dont want to take time off then dont :lol:

i hate missing days in the gym now especially when you see results and look good

Its difficult for me to take time off. I'm forcing myself to do 2 on 1 off right now, though. May eventually take a real break, like a month.

Doing mostly calisthenics at the moment, needed the physical and mental break from the weights. I'm all for training hard, but sometimes your body needs a break.
I'm talking about a real break. No way I could be away from the gym for a month, but I'm thinking about a week off.
if you dont want to take time off then dont
laugh.gif

i hate missing days in the gym now especially when you see results and look good
That is of course the common sense answer to my question haha. However, I feel like a pause and reset will be good rest for my body and a mental refresher to keep going hard. 

Over the past year, I've only missed one scheduled workout. The gains and results you see in the mirror are addictive.

Back to crossfit after 2 weeks off from injury. All lower body work and cardio for the next couple months. My legs bout to get ripped!

I'm talking about a real break. No way I could be away from the gym for a month, but I'm thinking about a week off.
if you dont want to take time off then dont :lol:

That is of course the common sense answer to my question haha. However, I feel like a pause and reset will be good rest for my body and a mental refresher to keep going hard. 

Over the past year, I've only missed one scheduled workout. The gains and results you see in the mirror are addictive.
Our situations are totally different (going to take time off for my knee). Unless you're a hard gainer, your results aren't going to disappear in a week. I think you know that. You'll even find that an occasional week off will benefit you more than it will hurt you. Or at least some form of deload.

I take deload weeks and weeks off all the time. Never lose anything. Y'all really don't take vacations where you have no gym access?

I don't have a squat rack or smith machine, but I still find a way to squat.

Of course smith is better than nothing in the short term. My post wasn't telling the dude to stop squatting on the smith, it was to inform that barbell is better overall. Just food for thought.
what gym do you go to? you live in boston right? plenty of gyms around in this small city.
how many times you been banned?
laugh.gif
http://offcolortv.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/spn-5-heart-spunked.gif

Last edited:
uh huh. Sure. I like planet fitness though. They keep all the dummies away from the real gyms.
leg day. gonna go hard. just the basic movements. lots of squats lots of lunges
Post your leg workout Freeze. The sets and reps of things. Also i wanna see your forearm workout.

Far as legs go, well at least today, I'll start with 5-7 minutes on the stair master, warm everything up. Then transition to lunges, first with body weight, then 2-25lb dbs, up to 2-45lb dbs. roughly 4-5 sets up about 20 ft each. then squats. body weight first, then empty bar, then putting weight up. both atg and box. probably 5-6 sets 8 reps max. after that I'll probably be dead, so what's better when you're dead that to keep pushing. 2-3 sets of 2-4' box jumps. then calve work, standing, sitting and jump rope with 2-3 rotations per. then some stretching and cardio to finish up.

my forearm, I really just do basic stuff, farmers walks, heavy hammers with and without fat grips, reverse curls, and then just the other stuff, like avoiding straps and whatnot on back day. I'll just do lots of sets and reps to really exhaust my forearms but the moments are pretty simple. I've gotten great results so far.

I take deload weeks and weeks off all the time. Never lose anything. Y'all really don't take vacations where you have no gym access?

nah man, pretty much every nice hotel and accommodations have a fitness center of some sort. It won't be a full fledged gym, the weights will be a lot less, so that in itself & calisthenics and cardio can be your break time. I'll work out alot less on vaca, but i still find ways to do work.

Any of you ball players not workout forearms aside from when you hit them doing biceps? Working out forearms messes up my shot

Back
Top Bottom