The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

Damn, the hate on Hans in that article is sickening.
Sounds like Dre or Cake wrote it
smh.gif

anyone in NY...SNY has really stepped it up this year having the Big East network...

pretty much all the Big East games.
pimp.gif

Duke won and advanced to New York.

Stephen Curry showed he can still shoot.

Here's Wednesday morning's What You Need To Know:

Notable game from Tuesday: Duke opened a huge lead early and was never threatened in a 97-54 win over Georgia Southern. The Blue Devils got 19 points and eight rebounds from Kyle Singler. The victory means they'll play the winner of Wednesday night's UMass-Southern Illinois game on Nov. 20 in the semifinals of the 2K Sports Classic benefiting Coaches vs. Cancer at New York's Madison Square Garden.

Notable performance from Tuesday: Stephen Curry sank six of nine 3-point attempts and finished with 41 points in Davidson's 87-54 exhibition victory over Lenoir-Rhyne. That's the good news, that the new 3-point line didn't bother him. Playing point guard, however, did, because though it was just an exhibition and by no means an indication of what's to come, it should be noted that Curry had eight turnovers in his first outing sans the now-departed Jason Richards. That's not good.

Notable game scheduled for Wednesday: UMass and Southern Illinois -- two of the better programs from non-BCS-affiliated leagues -- will play for the right to advance to the semifinals of the 2K Sports Classic benefiting Coaches vs. Cancer at New York's Madison Square Garden and set-up a meeting with Duke. Both teams are 1-0 after Tuesday night wins. Tip-off is set for 8:05 p.m. ET.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

anyone in NY...SNY has really stepped it up this year having the Big East network...

pretty much all the Big East games.
pimp.gif
I don't even need Fullcourt now, cause my cable provider wont even give me ESPNU.....
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

SNY HD
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Umass and So Ill should be a real good one tonight..

and ESPNU decides on showing Michigan/Northeastern over it
indifferent.gif

That Dalonte Hill signing for KSU paying off yet again....

November 12, 2008
[h1]Class of four to sign with K-State[/h1]
Brian Gates
GoPowercat.com

Kansas State basketball coach Frank Martin is set to begin his second season as coach ofthe Wildcats on Friday. Before the season tips off, Martin and his assistant coaches are set to announce the addition of four basketball players who will signnational letters of intent with K-State as the fall signing period opens for a week long session on Wednesday. The group the Wildcat coaches have put togetherchecks in as the No. 21 ranked class in the Rivals.com rankings. Basketball recruiting analyst Jerry Meyer of Rivals.com believes the class Martin and companyhave coming to Manhattan is a good group of talent. "Kansas State is poised to sign a 2009 recruiting class that is right on the cusp of being a top 20recruiting class," Meyer said. "Five-star Wally Judge has aton of potential and could blossom into a star at Kansas State. RodneyMcGruder is a slashing scorer who has a nose for the basketball. NickRussell is a combo guard with size and an understanding of how to play the game. Jordan Henriquez is a project at this point, but a 7-foot project which isintriguing. Overall there is talent in this class, and maybe most importantly, diversity."[table][tr][td]
WALLYJUDGE6_5200.JPG
[/td] [td] Player: Wally Judge
Position: Power Forward
Ht/Wt: 6-foot-9, 218 lbs
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif

School: Jacksonville (Fla.) Arlington Country Day
AAU Team: D.C. Assault
Rivals150 ranking: 23
Commitment Date: 10/16/2007

Rivals.com analyst Justin Young on Judge: "Wally is really talented. He is really athletic and skilled four man. He isn't at Michael Beasley's level because that is an entirely different level, but he is really talented. If they wanted the best player on the D.C. Assault, they got him."
Fitz's Take: "Big men typically develop at a slower rate and Wally Judge is erupting into one of the best post prospects in the country. His upside is enormous because he is an able athlete who will pack plenty of muscle onto his 6-foot-9 frame after arriving. Judge is the cornerstone of this class because big men such as him are hard to find."
GPC Video: Judge in Action
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
RODNEYMCGRUDER6_5200.JPG
[/td] [td] Player: Rodney McGruder
Position: Shooting Guard
Ht/Wt: 6-foot-4, 195 lbs
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif

School: Jacksonville (Fla.) Arlington Country Day
AAU Team: D.C. Assault
Rivals150 ranking: 91
Commitment Date: 10/18/2007

Rivals.com analyst Justin Young on McGruder: "Rodney is a slashing guard who can shoot from the perimeter, too. For a 6-foot-5 wing, he's not afraid to get into the man's world down low for boards. That should serve him well in Big 12 play."
Fitz's Take: "There is an extra gear in Rodney McGruder's game that you want to add to your team. When the game is on the line, Rodney is willing and able to take it over. He needs to work on the consistency of his outside shot, but he is more than capable of breaking down a defender with his ability to dribble drive. Fans are going to love his smooth game."

[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
NICKRUSSELL5_27200.JPG
[/td] [td] Player: Nick Russell
Position: Point Guard
Ht/Wt: 6-foot-4, 180 lbs
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif

School: Arlington (Texas) Grace Prep
AAU Team: Dallas Mustangs
Rivals150 ranking: 114
Commitment Date: 10/26/2008

Rivals.com analyst Justin Young on Russell: "Nick has great size and is really unselfish with the ball. I really think he could develop into a very productive player and possibly put up some very good numbers. He may not put up big numbers from day one, but he'll put up smart numbers. Nick will make his teammates better and that is what you want in a point guard."
Fitz's Take: "Nick Russell is a point guard first, but he offers the size of a combo guard. Adding a 6-foot-4 point guard to the guard mix is nice, and he is one who can both score and handle the ball. In a year when finding guards has been a challenge, adding Russell to this class is a nice way to finish off this group."
GPC Video:: Russell in action
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
644489.jpg
[/td] [td] Player: Jordan Henriquez
Position: Center
Ht/Wt: 7-foot-0, 225 lbs
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif

School: Winchendon (Mass.) The Winchendon School
AAU Team: New York Gauchos
Rivals150 ranking: N/A
Commitment Date: 5/23/2008

Frank Martin on Henriquez on May 2008 signing: "(Jordan) brings tremendous size coupled with the ability to run the floor. His room for growth in the future is very exciting. "
Fitz's Take: "It's hard to find seven-footers and Jordan Henriquez offers size for the Wildcats. He still has plenty to work on with his game, but he shows flashes of being able to develop into both an offensive threat and a low-post shot-blocking presence."
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Anthony Gurley finally gets a shot
Transfer ready at UMass

By Dan Duggan | Wednesday, November 12, 2008 | http://www.bostonherald.com/http://www.bostonherald.com | College Basketball

212575b89c_gurley_1112.jpg

Photo by Nancy Lane

AMHERST - This isn't the way Anthony Gurley imagined the past two years would play out.

Gurley starred at Newton North, leading the Tigers to state titles in his junior and senior seasons. He graduated in 2006 as one of the top local prospectsin recent memory.

When Gurley accepted a scholarship to ACC power Wake Forest, a successful college career seemed assured. But the Roxbury native never felt at home inWinston-Salem, N.C.

After a tumultuous freshman year at Wake, Gurley decided to move closer to home, transferring to UMass. He sat out the 2007-08 season under NCAA transferrules, and now the sophomore is ready to get his career back in motion.

No place like home

The all-time leading scorer at Newton North, the 6-foot-3 Gurley was rated as one of the top shooting guards in the country as a senior. Gurley was on theradar of schools in all of the power conferences, eventually deciding Wake Forest was the right fit for him.

Almost immediately, he knew he made a mistake.

"I really wasn't happy on the court or off," Gurley said. "It's not like that feeling went away because the season wentaway."

Despite feeling homesick, Gurley showed promise as a freshman during the 2006-07 season. He appeared in all 31 games for the Demon Deacons, averaging 6.4points off the bench.

When the season was finished, Gurley had reservations about staying at Wake, but his initial decision was to stick it out and return for his sophomore year.During the summer, however, things turned for the worse.

His coach, Skip Prosser, died unexpectedly in July 2007, suffering a heart attack while jogging on campus.

"It was a very, very tough time for everybody throughout the Wake Forest family," Gurley said. "It was just a horrible thing that happened. Ieven took the loss very hard. It was just something that nobody was expecting. He was a great guy (and) a great coach."

Gurley returned to campus for the first week of the fall semester, but he knew he belonged closer to home. He began looking at the local Division 1 schools,and only one stood out.

UMass had recruited Gurley, and he considered taking his game to Amherst after high school. A year later, with Travis Ford leading the Minutemen back to thetop tier of the Atlantic 10, Gurley had a second chance. The easy decision was welcomed after such a turbulent year.

"That point and time in my life was so hectic," Gurley said. "I was already thinking about transferring, then I decided to come back toschool, and then my coach passes away.

"I just wanted to get back closer to home and get out of there. I just really wasn't happy in that situation. Once I finally made my decision, itfelt like there was a lot of weight lifted."

Fitting in nicely

At UMass, Gurley was faced with a different challenge. Transfer rules dictated he could practice with the team but had to sit on the end of the bench instreet clothes during games.

Aside from being sidelined on game days, last year was a positive one for Gurley. He felt comfortable on campus and knew the key pieces would be returningfrom a team that lost in the NIT final. He also figured to be a good fit in Ford's up-tempo, 3-point shooting oriented offense.

Gurley never got that opportunity, as Ford left Amherst to take the reins at Oklahoma State in April. It could have been another setback for Gurley, but itturned into a positive when UMass tabbed Memphis assistant Derek Kellogg as Ford's successor.

Gurley's relationship with Kellogg dates to when he was an eighth-grader attending camp at Memphis.

"It was definitely a relief to know that he was going to be coming here," Gurley said. "He has a great background and a great reputation. Hecoached a national championship-caliber team so I was pretty comfortable when they said he was going to be the coach."

He's the 'man'

Now that he finally has found some stability, Gurley can get back to what he does best: releasing his picture-perfect jump shot and getting to the hoop.

"I'm expecting him to be a man - to come in and do all the man stuff," Kellogg said of Gurley, who had 14 points and six rebounds inUMass' 90-71 win over Arkansas-Monticello in last night's season opener in Carbondale, Ill.

"I'm expecting him to score the tough basket, to guard the other team's best player and to rebound from the guard spot. Physically andmentally, he can do those things."

Gurley believes he is up to the challenge.

"My college basketball experience has been pretty crazy so far," Gurley said. "I've had three coaches in three years so it hasn'tbeen the greatest experience so far, but I still have three years left to play. . . . I went through a lot, but in the end I feel it made me a better person.If I can get through something like that, then I feel like I can get through anything."
Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/basketball/view.bg?articleid=1131795http://www.bostonherald.c...view.bg?articleid=1131795

Allen, you got an SNY schedule?

I just hate the quality on that channel sometimes since I can't get the HD.

Nah but I know they have the St John's, Georgetown, Marquette, Cincy games this coming week...and those are against cup cakes, so I'm imaging withtheir new Big East deal they'll be showing damn near every game

Nah but I know they have the St John's, Georgetown, Marquette, Cincy games this coming week...and those are against cup cakes, so I'm imaging with their new Big East deal they'll be showing damn near every game
If you check the Big East Composite Schedule on the Big East website, they have some games listed as Big East Local Network, more than likely SNYwill air majority of those games.

[table][tr][td]Hansbrough 'Extremely Doubtful' for Opener[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
614442.jpg

[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]
By http://search.scout.com/a...mp;search=1&sskey="' + escape('UNC Athletics Comm.') + '%22&sssiteid=78';">UNC Athletics Comm.

Posted Nov 12, 2008
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- North Carolina forward Tyler Hansbrough, the 2008 national player of the year, is extremely doubtful to play in the season opener this Saturday against Penn, according to head coach Roy Williams.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
"We've made the decision to hold Tyler Hansbrough out of action a little longer," Williams said on Wednesday. "It's extremely doubtful that he would play against Pennsylvania, and I emphasize extremely doubtful.
"We will continue to evaluate him and have more information when it becomes available."

Hansbrough has been sidelined since the last week of October with a stress reaction in his right shin.

The senior from Poplar Bluff, Mo., has played in all 108 games the Tar Heels have played in over the previous three seasons.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Final thoughts on the NKU game
Posted by BKoch at 11/11/2008 10:32 PM EST on Cincinnati.com

Deonta Vaughn had his outside shot working tonight in NKU's 73-61 victory over NKU. He scored 24 points and made 5-of-11 from 3-point range, but he also committed six turnovers and now has 11 in two exhibition games. That could be a concern considering how much he's being asked to do this year in the absence of freshman point guard Cashmere Wright. Mick Cronin wasn't happy that UC had one fewer offensive rebound than NKU and didn't like the 17 UC turnovers. But on the plus side, the Bearcats shot 53.1 percent from the field. After the last two years, Cronin said, "It's nice to see the ball go in the basket." Freshman forward Yancy Gates wasn't as impressive as he was against Carleton University last week but he still scored eight points with four rebounds in 19 minutes. For what it's worth, after the game NKU coach Dave Bezold said he thought Louisville, which beat NKU by 15 Saturday, had better perimeter players but he thought UC's front-line players were more skilled.

I'll take that. Especially because our perimeter players are all freshman and sophmores besides Deonta, so we expect growing pains from them. From what Iheard UC was very sloppy though.

Originally Posted by MessiahChild

Nah but I know they have the St John's, Georgetown, Marquette, Cincy games this coming week...and those are against cup cakes, so I'm imaging with their new Big East deal they'll be showing damn near every game
If you check the Big East Composite Schedule on the Big East website, they have some games listed as Big East Local Network, more than likely SNY will air majority of those games.

Word.

I'll be on the lookout ...
pimp.gif

Former Gator Is Eyeing TCU!

BigPurpleNation.com has learned that Jai Lucas, former starting guard at the University of Florida, has asked his transcripts be sent to TCU. Last week the sophomore announced he would be transferring from Florida after the fall semester. Lucas, who started every game for the Gators last season, averaged 8.5 ppg. as a freshman.
http://tcu.scout.com/a.z?s=360&p=2&c=810834&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http://tcu.scout.com/2/810834.htmlhttp://tcu.scout.com/a.z?...out.com%2f2%2f810834.html

The Malik Alvin story just keeps getting better and better, and I know that's hard to imagine.

But it's true.

If you remember, I explained in the blog last night how Alvin has been suspended from Binghamton after he was arrested for stealing extra large condoms from a Wal-Mart and running over an old woman while trying to escape security. Classic, right? And now the guys over at BustedCoverage.com have posted pictures of Alvin with a roll of cash that suggests he shouldn't have to steal anything, even condoms.

Anyway, I can't vouch for the authenticity of the pictures.

But they look real, don't they?

smh.gif

That ain't nothing but a cashed refund check.

laugh.gif

He's an idiot tho'

Like seriously. How you get caught stealing condoms?

It was recently refund check time
laugh.gif

Welcome to The Show! On Wednesday, ESPN college basketball contributor Joe Lunardi will drop by to take your questions on the start of the college basketballseason.
Send your questions now and join Lunardi in The Show on Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET!

Lunardi Archive: Chats | Columns

sn2.gif
JoeLunardi: (4:00 PM ET ) Hard to believe it's that time again (not that I mind!). Let's get it started with a little pre-season brackettalk.

Thomas Edison - Schenectady, NY: Thanks for the great work? What are your thoughts on the BC Eagles? It seems that with a great senior point,young but very all around talented big man in Josh Southern, and very young, but physically talented young wing players like Sanders and Jackson that theEagles could surprise some people this year? Thanks

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:03 PM ET ) I think there isroom for bubble teams to emerge in the ACC. No reason B.C. couldn't be one of them. Can I reserve judgment until this coming Monday? I'll be at the NITopener against Loyola.

FZ, St. Louis, MO: Can Wake Forest make a serious title run?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:03 PM ET ) That might be abit much for such young team. However, it is well within reason to think of Wake as a Sweet 16 contender.

Cody / Virginia: Having the Final Four in Detroit should be a big motivation for Michigan State, but do you think they will be able to getthere without a consistant big man?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:05 PM ET ) Given thechoice, I'd rather have the big man (than any geographic motivation). In this case, I think Tom Izzo will find a way to rebound and defend the post.

Jeff - Cincy, OH: How many games do you see IU winning this year? I will put the over-under at 5...

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:06 PM ET ) Can I take theover on that??

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:07 PM ET ) I have Missouriright around the cut line (with no meaningful games having been played, of course). And I further believe that Syracuse is going to be quite good, so don'thold your breath on that one.

Greg - Chicago: Joe - With Devendorf and Rautins healthy to rejoin a solid core, what's your take on Syracuse this season??

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:09 PM ET ) Expanding on theprevious comment, the best thing for me about Syracuse is the proverbial "addition by subtraction" of Donte Green. He didn't defend, wasdisinterested in Boeheim's zone, and took tons and tons of bad shots. The Orange are going to be very good (even in the loaded Big East).

John (Dallas): College basketball and you Joe have been missed, good to have you both back. Can the freshman with the seniors for UCLA getthem back to the final four?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:10 PM ET ) A lot of peopleseem to think so, John. Me? I think it will be easier for UCLA to grab a No. 1 seed coming out of a weaker West than to win four games in the NCAA Tournament.Possible, yes, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Anthony - Glastonbury, CT: Why is UConn ranked so high? They basically have the same team back from last year and barely went anywhere in thetournament.

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:10 PM ET ) Talent. Talent.Talent.

Casey / Washington: What do you think of this years Gonzaga team. Do you think they have what it takes to finally get to the final four?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:11 PM ET ) Some guy with myname has put the Zags in his pre-season Final Four elsewhere on this site. Let's hope he's right!

Doug (Fairfax, VA): Joe, You have Florida as a #2 seed, you think that highly of Calathes?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:13 PM ET ) What I think isthat the Gators are talented, deep, and hungry. Nick Calathes is a piece of that, for sure, but I'm not as sold as others on Tennessee (leading perhaps toan unexpected SEC title for Florida).

sara chicago: Is ND really top 10 material? I hope so, but can they really grow much from last year?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:14 PM ET ) I have the IrishNo. 12 overall at this point. I'll need to see a better commitment at the defensive end and more consistent play away from home to move them up. Maui willbe a great opportunity in that regard.

Nick (Chapel Hill): Why do you have UNC placed in the Midwest region, if they're your overall number one? Shouldn't they take theSouth or East region?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:15 PM ET ) Great question,Nick. The Midwest (Indianapolis) is actually the closest site available for UNC, ahead of both East (Boston) and South (Memphis). I was surprised, too, untilRand McNally cleared things up for me.

Joseph (Richmond): How is my University of Richmond looking this weekend. Big time teams used to be scared to death to play us.

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:16 PM ET ) Gonna' behard to take the expected step forward without Geriot.

Trent, GA: Will UGA have any sort of momentum coming off their SEC tourney win? They lose their two heart and soul players in Sundiata andBliss but if Thompkins stays healthy with Price and Jackson in the paint, could you see them making a run in the SEC?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:17 PM ET ) Not suremomentum has much impact this far after the fact. Let's remember, that even with Sundiata and Bliss, that this was a losing team a year ago.

Michael (Evansville, IN): Hey Joe, glad you (and the b-ball season) are back. It seems that every year a pre-season top 10 team crashes andburns (I can remember Zona and I think Clemson in the recent past). Louisville's first 2 exhibition games have me extremely nervous. Without Padgett in thelineup, the Cards weren't exactly world beaters last year. Do you have any second thoughts about the Cards #1 seed.

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:18 PM ET ) Michael, I havesecond thoughts about every team in America this year not named North Carolina. Having said that, the biggest risk in my personal Top 10 is Wisconsin.Louisville will be fine.

Matt (Chicago): What do you see Georgetown doing this year? They are a pretty young team, but the talent is there.

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:20 PM ET ) Bad news: TheHoyas may not be much better than a middle of the pack Big East team. Good news: This season, that should be plenty good enough for an NCAA bid and a win ortwo in the big dance.

Andy (Minneapolis): Can Tubby's Gophers make a run to the tourney this year?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:20 PM ET ) One chance infive, Andy.

Stephen (Atlanta): Rick Barnes has compared his team to the 2003 team his words were there nasty and loves how physical they can get. Who winsthe Big 12?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:21 PM ET ) Texas.

Nathan, baltimore: Does Villanova have any chance of winning the big east? I know the BE is loaded but they seem just as good as some of thoseother teams everyone has in the top 10.

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:23 PM ET ) I love the young'Cats, Nathan, but winning this year's Big East is a bit of a reach (although next year I could definitely see it!). It's important to judgeVillanova on their entire body of work last year -- a No. 12 seed -- than what they did against Clemson and Siena.

KENO DAVIS (PROVIDENCE): you have us out? this is our year.....um...right?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:24 PM ET ) Could happen,coach, but there are so many teams to climb just in your own conference.

Nick (LA, CA): Can Johnny Dawkins take Stanford to the tournament in his first year? They've got almost everyone back, except for a couplekids named Lopez...

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:24 PM ET ) I thinkthat's asking a lot, Nick, under the circumstances.

Kevin - Grand Rapids: If you had three games you could get tickets to between now and the end of the year where would it be and why?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:27 PM ET ) Short-termanswer, Kevin: I'm going to Maui for the first time later this month and am jacked about any number of match ups there. Should be ND-Texas on day two andan eventual title game featuring two Top 10 teams (with Carolina also in the field). So let's say those two games and the NCAA final!

jim (NY): You say the Orange are going to be good. But no one has them ranked. Why not?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:27 PM ET ) Out of sight,out of mind.

Bill Self (Lawrence, KS): Am I finally going to get the recognition I deserve as being an elite coach?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:27 PM ET ) I think thathappened last April, Bill. Remember the confetti?

Dave (Rochester,N.Y): Is Pittsburgh capable of winning a national title this year?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:29 PM ET ) Sure, Dave,along with about 15-20 other teams. The question for any Big East team, though, is how much will tey have left after a bruising regular season and incredibleconference tournament.

Neal (Louisville, KY): Why is everyone so high on Oklahoma? Louisville blasted them out of the Big Dance last year by 30 pts. and TheGriffin's did not look good at all. I don't see them in the top 20 neverless top 10.

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:30 PM ET ) I'm notquite as high on the Sooners as some, Neal, but this is a deep NCAA tourney team. I wouldn't let one result from seven months ago cloud that judgment.

Brian (SF, CA): You are crazy if you think that Arizona and Washington St. will get bids over Washington. Arizona's core is Wise(doesn't even want to be there), Budinger (doesn't want to be playing basketball period...and has ZERO leadership skills), and Hill (a fouling-machinewith no backup). Wash St. is even worse off. UW has 3 of 5 starters back?and a talented Freshman PG that people will be talking about come January.

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:33 PM ET ) Every year Ikeep hearing about how great Washington is and the last two they can't get above .500 in their own league. So call me skeptical, Brian.

Ryan (Omaha): What do you think of Purdue this season?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:34 PM ET ) A slightregression in the regular season, making up for it in March. That's the most likely scenario, Ryan.

Rich (NYC): Hey Joe. Will Siena knock off one of the big boys this season? (Tenn. Pitt, Kansas, etc..)?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:35 PM ET ) Not that big, Idon't think.

Dan (Overland Park, KS): Is that your real hair?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:35 PM ET ) Nope; it'son loan from Mel Kiper Jr.

James (NYC): Do you think the Big East Tourney will have some exciting upsets this year now that all teams are included?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:36 PM ET ) I think it'sa colossally bad idea to have that many conference tournament games. Then again, I'd also pay to watch them all (a concept the Big East understands farbetter than yours truly).

Matt (West Lafayette, IN): Hey, Joe, why do you have Purdue at a 4 seed but Wisconsin at a 2 seed? Don't you think you might be overratingthe Badgers a wee bit? And does that imply you think they will win the Big Ten?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:38 PM ET ) I'll admitthe Wisconsin seeding is a bit high. Then again, they've finished first or second all but one time in the last five seasons. So what's more likely? Areturn to form by the most common champion or a repeat performance by a team no one will be surprised by in 2008-09?

Chris (Birmingham, AL): So much for the SEC's cross-sports dominance! Tennessee at No. 13 is really the best we've got? Does that meanAlabama has a chance in the SEC West?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:39 PM ET ) I have no ideawhat to do with the SEC West, Chris. Any of at least four teams could win that division.

John Boy (Cincinnati): Hey Skeptical, i see a lot of Tennessee doubters giving the SEC to Florida. Don't the Cats have just as good aschance?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:40 PM ET ) Yes.

Sparky the Sun Devil (Tempe,AZ): Please tell me were going to ATLEAST the sweet 16 this year Joey. James Harden and the boys are ready to takethe Pac-10.

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:40 PM ET ) Let's getinto the tourney first, Sparky.

Tony S. (KY): Is Michigan State overrated? I have seen them ranked anywhere from 7 to 19, are they gonna get it done, or is Izzo going to haveto suffer through another so-so year?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:41 PM ET ) I'm bettingon the former, Tony.

Drake University Students: After Keno took the money to take a job he'll never succeed at, and we lost our MVP, can we still get excitedabout a team capable of making a run in the Valley? Josh Young and Bucky Cox are back.....

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:41 PM ET ) If so, it'sgoing to be Creighton this time around.

Dave (Columbus, OH: Do you think Duke has enough to win it all this year? They seem to be more athletic than the last few years.

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:42 PM ET ) Dave, I'mnot even convinced Duke is the second-best team in the ACC.

Bob (KC): I see you have KU vs. Missouri matching up in Bracketology. Is that even allowed? I didn't think schools from the sameconference could meet in round 1.

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:43 PM ET ) It's notallowed, Bob. Something went haywire with our master spreadsheet and that will be corrected. Who would you like to play? This time of year we can take personalrequests!

Marc (Hopkinton, MA): Hey Joe, what's your outlook for the UMASS Minutemen? Can they challenge Xavier for the A10 title?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:44 PM ET ) I know onething, Marc. UMass will do a whole lot more defending under Derek Kellogg than they did last year. That was a fun team, but they couldn't stop me. UMasswill be in the mix.

Lee (LETS GO PEAY): murry st out of the ovc this year? joe what you been drinkin on? u need to show your peayness and get on that austin peaybandwagon before the season starts. as the saying goes, "Fly is open, Let's go Peay!!!"

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:45 PM ET ) To quote BillSimmons: "Yes, ladies and gentlemen, those are my readers."

Ed (Baltimore, MD): What are the chances that the Michigan Wolverines make some noise this year

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:45 PM ET ) It would have tobe in basketball, right, Ed?

Ted (Dayton, OH): How do you see the A-10 playing out this season? What are the chances of my Dayton Flyers making the tourney?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:46 PM ET ) Dayton is right(or should I say Wright?) on the bubble in every pre-season projection I run. The Flyers are due.

Phil (Berkeley, CA): I know to the rest of the country, the University of Arizona is a dead basketball program. The fact is we still havethree junior leaders in Budinger, Wise and Hill. In your true belief, do you think the team will fade fast, or hold on to make another tourney?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:46 PM ET ) Just hold on, Ithink.

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:47 PM ET ) OK, gang, timefor final jeopardy. Three more questions/comments and I've got to make way for the next "Chat" victim.

Winston (London, UK): It seems to me that certain teams and conferences get a lot of publicity even though they might not necessarily deserveit. How much of this factors into the seeding process?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:48 PM ET ) Absolutely,positively none, Winston. There isn't a single team or conference that the NCAA committee doesn't have a volume of information about. Years ago, maybeI could see your point, but "publicity" really isn't part of the equation any more.

Hunter (Chesapeake VA): Whats your guess on Old Dominion this year in the CAA?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:50 PM ET ) I've seenODU a number of times in recent years and this season will be one on the rebound. VCU is the obvious pick in the Colonial, but the Monarchs will contend andplay in some kind of post-season tournament.

moses (sd, ca): can kansas win the big 12 with all the inexperience players on their roster?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:50 PM ET ) I don'tthink so, Moses, unless you part the Red Sea for them. I'm also not going to count your question as the last one!

C.J. (Charlotte): The Big East's top 4 teams only face three potential games in the tournament, 5-8 only face 4 potential games. It's9-16 that have the potential of playing 5 in 5 days. 9 and 10 are likely bubble teams, along with, potentially the 8 seed. I don't see it as being too manygames, rather that the "bubble" teams get a good chance for a win in the conference tourney. That said, what do you expect from WVU this season? Youhave them in the 8/9 game in UNC's bracket. What would they have to do to get up to a 6-7 seed?

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:52 PM ET ) Or a damagingloss, C.J., for Big East bubble teams. That sword cuts both ways and, if we're talking about a potential 9th or 10th bid from a conference, I can'thelp but think of "play out" more than "play in" scenarios.

Paul (Memphis): This is the worst chat I have ever read. BAR NONE!

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:52 PM ET ) In that case,thanks for hanging in there for 51 minutes and 1529 questions.

sn2.gif
Joe Lunardi: (4:53 PM ET ) Let's do itagain soon, everyone. Happy hoops!!

Originally Posted by dreClark

smh.gif

laugh.gif

He's an idiot tho'

Colleges be giving those *+$$! out for free, what an $@+

[h2]UCLA Men's Basketball Signs Heralded Class of Four on First Signing Day
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
[/h2]
Four men's basketball players ink National Letters of Intent to attend UCLA

Nov. 12, 2008

LOS ANGELES - UCLA head coach BenHowland announced today the signing of a heralded class of four student-athletes to National Letters of Intent to attend UCLA in the fall of 2009.Wednesday is the first day of the early signing period that extends until Nov. 19.

The class consists of Tyler Honeycutt, a 6-foot-8-inch, 190-pound guard/forward out of Sylmar, Calif. (Sylmar HS); Brendan Lane, a 6-foot-10-inch, 205-poundforward from Rocklin, Calif. (Rocklin HS); Reeves Nelson, a 6-foot-7-inch, 220-pound forward out of Modesto, Calif. (Modesto Christian HS) and Anthony Stover,a 6-foot-10-inch, 210-pound center from La Cañada, Calif. (Windward HS).

"We are very excited about this recruiting class," Howland said. "I think the four players that we signed help fulfill the needs that we haveand as a class, they are all great kids that are going to be great players. They are all outstanding young men."

The class has been rated No. 8 nationally by Scout.com and No. 14 by Rivals.com. Additionally, Honeycutt and Nelson were both on the 2008-09 Best in theWest first team while Lane and Stover were on the second team. Honeycutt was fifth in the voting with 299 points and was tied for second with 11 Best Prospectvotes (out of 58 ballots). Nelson was 11th in the voting with 202 points.

Honeycutt averaged 16.0 points and 10.0 rebounds per game last year at Sylmar High School and is rated the No. 1 small forward in the West and No. 4nationally by Scout.com. He is also the No. 21 rated overall player by Scout.com and the No. 4 small forward nationally by Rivals.com and No. 6 small forwardin the country by ESPN.

"Tyler Honeycutt is a very versatile athlete," Howland said. "He is a good shooter, he's good at scoring off the dribble and is a goodpasser. He is also an outstanding rebounder and has a lot of potential."

Lane averaged 20.4 points, 11.7 rebounds and 5.2 blocks per game last year at Rocklin High School and is rated the No. 1 power forward in the West byScout.com. He is also the No. 29 power forward in the country by Scout.com, No. 26 by Rivals.com and No. 32 by ESPN.

"Brendan Lane is a long and very skilled athlete," Howland said. "He has an exciting upside because as he gets bigger and stronger, his gamewill really improve."

Nelson averaged 26.0 points and 14.0 rebounds per game last year at Modesto Christian High School and is rated the No. 5 power forward in the West byScout.com. He is also the No. 23 power forward nationally by Rivals.com, No. 27 by ESPN and No. 31 by Scout.com.

"Reeves Nelson is very physical and is a very strong and athletic young man," Howland said. "He's a tough, hard-nosed player who is agood rebounder and he's going to be an outstanding player."

Stover averaged 10.6 points, 6.8 rebounds and 7.4 blocks per game last year at Renaissance Academy as a junior and is rated the No. 3 center in the West andthe No. 11 center in the country by Scout.com. He is also rated the No. 19 center nationally by Rivals.com.

"Anthony Stover is very long and his upside is that he has a 7-foot-5-inch wingspan," Howland said. "He's an excellent shot blocker andwe are excited about his future."

Nick (Chapel Hill): Why do you have UNC placed in the Midwest region, if they're your overall number one? Shouldn't they take the South or East region?

SportsNation Joe Lunardi: (4:15 PM ET ) Great question, Nick. The Midwest (Indianapolis) is actually the closest site available for UNC, ahead of both East (Boston) and South (Memphis). I was surprised, too, until Rand McNally cleared things up for me.

So UNC wouldn't have to worry about that matchup in Boston with UCONN after all then Allen.
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
worldbeefreeg wrote:

Originally Posted by dreClark

smh.gif

laugh.gif

He's an idiot tho'

Colleges be giving those *+$$! out for free, what an $@+

laugh.gif
...I didnt even think about that. Dude obviously just felt likestealing something. By the looks of the woman on that link Allen posted, should have stolen a paper bag as well.

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

Nick (Chapel Hill): Why do you have UNC placed in the Midwest region, if they're your overall number one? Shouldn't they take the South or East region?

SportsNation Joe Lunardi: (4:15 PM ET ) Great question, Nick. The Midwest (Indianapolis) is actually the closest site available for UNC, ahead of both East (Boston) and South (Memphis). I was surprised, too, until Rand McNally cleared things up for me.

So UNC wouldn't have to worry about that matchup in Boston with UCONN after all then Allen.
pimp.gif

I'm praying for a UNC / UConn title game ... that would be ill.
pimp.gif

AJ Price
pimp.gif

Danny Green
pimp.gif

LI!
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom