The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

^^^ I hope you're right, but there didn't seem to be anything going on this weekend. All of the NBA writers I follow on Twitter -- Broussard, Bucher, Woj, -- were either silent or tweeting about football. Hopefully, the league and players get back at it today.

^^^ I hope you're right, but there didn't seem to be anything going on this weekend. All of the NBA writers I follow on Twitter -- Broussard, Bucher, Woj, -- were either silent or tweeting about football. Hopefully, the league and players get back at it today.

He called him Cheese though..... Cheese
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by amel223

That amnesty clause and stretch exception is really going to help a lot of teams.  If the Chicago Bulls can't find a way to benefit from that I will off myself. 

As for the lockout.  I think it's going to end by this week.  I'm pretty sure of it. 
nerd.gif
I hope you're right.  At this point 50-50 is the best the players are going to get from the owners as far as BRI.  Fish better take a players vote on who would take 50-50 and he will be surprised at how many would right about now.  Feel bad for the rooks though.  Missing out on alot of valuable time
tired.gif

Originally Posted by amel223

That amnesty clause and stretch exception is really going to help a lot of teams.  If the Chicago Bulls can't find a way to benefit from that I will off myself. 

As for the lockout.  I think it's going to end by this week.  I'm pretty sure of it. 
nerd.gif
I hope you're right.  At this point 50-50 is the best the players are going to get from the owners as far as BRI.  Fish better take a players vote on who would take 50-50 and he will be surprised at how many would right about now.  Feel bad for the rooks though.  Missing out on alot of valuable time
tired.gif

Originally Posted by lawdog1

They met last Monday and reporters were kept in the dark. Could happen again.

Originally Posted by lawdog1

They met last Monday and reporters were kept in the dark. Could happen again.

The NBA came down hard on Miami Heat owner Micky Arison on Monday, fining him $500,000, according to league sources, after he used his Twitter account as a sounding board about the lockout last Friday.

The league did not issue an official announcement, but an NBA spokesman confirmed to ESPN.com that Arison had been fined.

The $500,000 fine, first reported by Yahoo! Sports, is five times the amount other owners have previously been fined for public comments about the ongoing labor situation.

[h4]Windhorst: Heat Owner in Hot Water[/h4]
windhorst_brian_m.jpg
Even a man with a charmed life can find trouble on Twitter, just ask Mimai billionaire and Heat owner Micky Arison, Brian Windhorst writes. Blog

According to multiple league sources, commissioner David Stern was lobbied by some of Arison's fellow owners to levy the stiff fine. Arison and several of his peers have been at growing odds as the lockout has deepened -- a rift which spilled over into cyberspace last week.

Arison sent out a series of tweets from his verified account following the latest breakdown in talks between owners and players. Owners and league executives are under a strict mandate not to discuss the lockout and Arison appeared to violate it several times.

The most serious one came when Arison responded to a fan who wrote: "How's it feel to be apart of ruining the best game in the world? NBA owners/players don't give a damn about fans&and guess what? Fans provide all the money you're fighting over&you greedy (expletive) pigs. Arison replied: "You are barking at the wrong owner."

Arison deleted that tweet less than an hour later, but not before it had caught the attention of the league and especially some other owners. Within minutes, sources said, there was outrage spreading across the league and some calling for Arison to be sanctioned.

Arison's statement appeared to confirm the existence of a divide among owners about recent negotiating positions -- which players' union executive director Billy Hunter has been implying publicly for the last several weeks.

There were several other tweets from Arison that also likely drew ire. When another fan asked Arison what he thought about Clippers' owner Donald Sterling, he replied with a simple "lol."

When one of his followers' suggested that competitive balance among "all 32 teams" was an "unrealistic and stupid idea," Arison re-tweeted it with a smiley face. Arison also deleted that tweet, though later tweeted the smile was for saying there are 32 in the NBA when there are only 30.

Measures to guarantee competitive balance among small-market and big-market teams have been some of the most fiercely debated issues in recent talks. Arison is believed to be on the side of the big market teams, which are in the minority.

Recently Arison has taken an expanded involvement in the talks, regularly traveling to New York to sit in on negotiations with players. At times he was the only owner who was not on the league's labor relations committee to come to meetings.

Last month, he referenced a heated exchange between Heat guard Dwyane Wade and Stern during one session by calling it "a friendly chat" on his Twitter account.

It is the third time the league has fined an owner for improper public comments regarding the labor situation.

Last year, Stern fined Wizards owner Ted Leonsis $100,000 for comments about the owners' want for a hard salary cap. And last month, Stern fined Bobcats owner Michael Jordan $100,000 for telling an Australian media outlet the NBA's current business model was "broken." Brian Windhorst covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

The NBA came down hard on Miami Heat owner Micky Arison on Monday, fining him $500,000, according to league sources, after he used his Twitter account as a sounding board about the lockout last Friday.

The league did not issue an official announcement, but an NBA spokesman confirmed to ESPN.com that Arison had been fined.

The $500,000 fine, first reported by Yahoo! Sports, is five times the amount other owners have previously been fined for public comments about the ongoing labor situation.

[h4]Windhorst: Heat Owner in Hot Water[/h4]
windhorst_brian_m.jpg
Even a man with a charmed life can find trouble on Twitter, just ask Mimai billionaire and Heat owner Micky Arison, Brian Windhorst writes. Blog

According to multiple league sources, commissioner David Stern was lobbied by some of Arison's fellow owners to levy the stiff fine. Arison and several of his peers have been at growing odds as the lockout has deepened -- a rift which spilled over into cyberspace last week.

Arison sent out a series of tweets from his verified account following the latest breakdown in talks between owners and players. Owners and league executives are under a strict mandate not to discuss the lockout and Arison appeared to violate it several times.

The most serious one came when Arison responded to a fan who wrote: "How's it feel to be apart of ruining the best game in the world? NBA owners/players don't give a damn about fans&and guess what? Fans provide all the money you're fighting over&you greedy (expletive) pigs. Arison replied: "You are barking at the wrong owner."

Arison deleted that tweet less than an hour later, but not before it had caught the attention of the league and especially some other owners. Within minutes, sources said, there was outrage spreading across the league and some calling for Arison to be sanctioned.

Arison's statement appeared to confirm the existence of a divide among owners about recent negotiating positions -- which players' union executive director Billy Hunter has been implying publicly for the last several weeks.

There were several other tweets from Arison that also likely drew ire. When another fan asked Arison what he thought about Clippers' owner Donald Sterling, he replied with a simple "lol."

When one of his followers' suggested that competitive balance among "all 32 teams" was an "unrealistic and stupid idea," Arison re-tweeted it with a smiley face. Arison also deleted that tweet, though later tweeted the smile was for saying there are 32 in the NBA when there are only 30.

Measures to guarantee competitive balance among small-market and big-market teams have been some of the most fiercely debated issues in recent talks. Arison is believed to be on the side of the big market teams, which are in the minority.

Recently Arison has taken an expanded involvement in the talks, regularly traveling to New York to sit in on negotiations with players. At times he was the only owner who was not on the league's labor relations committee to come to meetings.

Last month, he referenced a heated exchange between Heat guard Dwyane Wade and Stern during one session by calling it "a friendly chat" on his Twitter account.

It is the third time the league has fined an owner for improper public comments regarding the labor situation.

Last year, Stern fined Wizards owner Ted Leonsis $100,000 for comments about the owners' want for a hard salary cap. And last month, Stern fined Bobcats owner Michael Jordan $100,000 for telling an Australian media outlet the NBA's current business model was "broken." Brian Windhorst covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

Mike, are you asking for someone to post cliff notes? Thats a lot of works strung together for you to read in one sitting....

Mike, are you asking for someone to post cliff notes? Thats a lot of works strung together for you to read in one sitting....

Yeesh, $500k.
eek.gif

Good thing he can afford it.
Two Economists Explain the NBA Lockout

The Golden Rule: He who has the gold, rules

Fundamental Rule of Negotiation: He who cares the least wins

In the NBA, it's the owners who have the gold and care the least.

What do the owners have to lose?
Net revenues from the lost games and any decline in the value of their franchises due to fan alienation and depreciation of assets — namely the players they have under contract.

What do players have to lose?
Salaries from lost games and time cut off from already short career windows.

Why do owners have leverage?
They have deeper pockets and alternative sources of income. The next most lucrative financial option for players is far worse than the owners’ lowest offer.

Why do players have leverage?
Only a handful of star players have leverage. The owners’ product without the top 20-30 players in the league would stink for at least a few years. Rank-and-file players are more easily replaced and have almost no leverage at all.

Why are labor disputes in sports so weird?
The bosses control the whole sector and face little competition when it comes to hiring labor. Since the merger with the ABA in 1976, the NBA is a monopoly and operates in a manner (it monopolizes!) that would be illegal outside the sports world. Unlike in Silicon Valley, there are no NBA “start-ups.

Yeesh, $500k.
eek.gif

Good thing he can afford it.
Two Economists Explain the NBA Lockout

In the NBA, it's the owners who have the gold and care the least.

What do the owners have to lose?
Net revenues from the lost games and any decline in the value of their franchises due to fan alienation and depreciation of assets — namely the players they have under contract.

What do players have to lose?
Salaries from lost games and time cut off from already short career windows.

Why do owners have leverage?
They have deeper pockets and alternative sources of income. The next most lucrative financial option for players is far worse than the owners’ lowest offer.

Why do players have leverage?
Only a handful of star players have leverage. The owners’ product without the top 20-30 players in the league would stink for at least a few years. Rank-and-file players are more easily replaced and have almost no leverage at all.

Why are labor disputes in sports so weird?
The bosses control the whole sector and face little competition when it comes to hiring labor. Since the merger with the ABA in 1976, the NBA is a monopoly and operates in a manner (it monopolizes!) that would be illegal outside the sports world. Unlike in Silicon Valley, there are no NBA “start-ups.

In the NBA, it's the owners who have the gold and care the least.Is the owners’ offer fair? Not really.

Should the players take it? Yes.

Will the owners give in and up the ante? Very unlikely.

Will the players be rational and take what is on the plate? We can only hope so.
And that's the long and short of it.
laugh.gif

In the NBA, it's the owners who have the gold and care the least.Is the owners’ offer fair? Not really.

Should the players take it? Yes.

Will the owners give in and up the ante? Very unlikely.

Will the players be rational and take what is on the plate? We can only hope so.
And that's the long and short of it.
laugh.gif

Derek Fisher's reply to the Jason Whitlock article from this past weekend.
Derek Fisher defends loyalty in letter

In his latest letter to fellow players, union president Derek Fisher strongly denied a published report over the weekend that union president Billy Hunter and other members of the union's executive board have questioned Fisher about his relationship with NBA commissioner David Stern and deputy commissioner Adam Silver.

In Monday night's letter, which was obtained by ESPN.com, Fisher responded to the Saturday report from FoxSports.com columnist Jason Whitlock by telling union members: "Usually I wouldn't even dignify absurd media reports with a comment. But before these reports go any further, let me say on the record to each of you, my loyalty has and always will be with the players.

"Anyone that questions that or doubts that does not know me, my history and what I stand for. And quite frankly, how dare anyone call that into question? The Players Association is united and any reports to the contrary are false. There have been no side agreements, no side negotiations or anything close. We are united in serving you and presenting the best options and getting everyone back to work."
Link

*Insert The Wire .gif*

Derek Fisher's reply to the Jason Whitlock article from this past weekend.
Derek Fisher defends loyalty in letter

In his latest letter to fellow players, union president Derek Fisher strongly denied a published report over the weekend that union president Billy Hunter and other members of the union's executive board have questioned Fisher about his relationship with NBA commissioner David Stern and deputy commissioner Adam Silver.

In Monday night's letter, which was obtained by ESPN.com, Fisher responded to the Saturday report from FoxSports.com columnist Jason Whitlock by telling union members: "Usually I wouldn't even dignify absurd media reports with a comment. But before these reports go any further, let me say on the record to each of you, my loyalty has and always will be with the players.

"Anyone that questions that or doubts that does not know me, my history and what I stand for. And quite frankly, how dare anyone call that into question? The Players Association is united and any reports to the contrary are false. There have been no side agreements, no side negotiations or anything close. We are united in serving you and presenting the best options and getting everyone back to work."
Link

*Insert The Wire .gif*

I want to know who is leaking all these letters and whatnot to the media
laugh.gif

I want to know who is leaking all these letters and whatnot to the media
laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom