The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

i texted three people that the lockout was about to be over

im about to get smacked

i cant telll you how pissed i was. i took a shot and turn around and see stern's face on the TV. i got maaaaad happy. and then i see what the TV is saying......

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

NBA has absolutely no honor. How likely would it be that the fans would boycott games, as a way of saying "don't forget whose money you're bickering over". This is bad business any way you put it.
People don't care enough to boycott. Also, unlike a strike (MLB in 1994), there's sympathy for the players and people just want to see them in action. In the end, people will still go to games, regardless of circumstances.

people don't protest the two wars going on... americans are not boycotting 
laugh.gif

NBA has absolutely no honor. How likely would it be that the fans would boycott games, as a way of saying "don't forget whose money you're bickering over". This is bad business any way you put it.
People don't care enough to boycott. Also, unlike a strike (MLB in 1994), there's sympathy for the players and people just want to see them in action. In the end, people will still go to games, regardless of circumstances.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

NBA Deal Is Tantalizingly Close, but Last Hurdle Is a Big One

The new NBA labor deal is practically done. You wouldn’t know it from the headlines, the dour news conferences or the apocalyptic rhetoric spilling from league officials. But the deal, in practical terms, is about 95 percent complete.

The NBA and the players union have agreed on contract lengths and luxury-tax rates, trade rules and cap exceptions, and a host of oddly named provisions offering “amnesty

The new NBA labor deal is practically done. You wouldn’t know it from the headlines, the dour news conferences or the apocalyptic rhetoric spilling from league officials. But the deal, in practical terms, is about 95 percent complete.

The NBA and the players union have agreed on contract lengths and luxury-tax rates, trade rules and cap exceptions, and a host of oddly named provisions offering “amnesty

Getting games in during the month of November was unrealistic....these guys need at least 3-4 weeks to get things up to speed. Yea, I wan the NBA back...but I didn't want games to be played 2 weeks from now. I think a deal will be made within the next week or two, and the season will start up sometime in Dec. It will get done.

Getting games in during the month of November was unrealistic....these guys need at least 3-4 weeks to get things up to speed. Yea, I wan the NBA back...but I didn't want games to be played 2 weeks from now. I think a deal will be made within the next week or two, and the season will start up sometime in Dec. It will get done.

NEWS
Is Fisher in Stern's back pocket??

This is opinion: The latest NBA lockout stalemate is all about the basketball-related-income (BRI) split. The owners want 50-50. The players want 52-48.

This is fact: The belief that NBA Players Association president Derek Fisher has been co-opted by commissioner David Stern — and promised the commish he could deliver the union at 50-50 — caused NBPA executive director Billy Hunter and at least one member of the union’s executive committee to confront Fisher on Friday morning and make him reassess his 50-50 push, a source familiar with the negotiations told FOXSports.com Friday afternoon.

A veteran NBA player familiar with the negotiations characterized the concerns about Fisher’s allegiance as similar to the concerns about Michael Curry in 2005, the year of the league’s last collective-bargaining agreement.

Curry, an 11-year NBA player who earned about $15 million for his career, was the union’s player president from July 2001 through late June 2005. At age 36, he played 18 games for the Indiana Pacers during the 2004-05 season, his last season. The NBA and the union agreed in principle on the now-expired labor deal on June 21, 2005. A week later, Michael Curry stepped down as the union’s president. On Sept. 8, 2005, David Stern announced that his alleged former labor-agreement adversary would be vice president, player development for the NBA Development League.

“Michael has always expressed an interest in helping to develop young players whose potential has yet to be realized,

NEWS
Is Fisher in Stern's back pocket??

This is opinion: The latest NBA lockout stalemate is all about the basketball-related-income (BRI) split. The owners want 50-50. The players want 52-48.

This is fact: The belief that NBA Players Association president Derek Fisher has been co-opted by commissioner David Stern — and promised the commish he could deliver the union at 50-50 — caused NBPA executive director Billy Hunter and at least one member of the union’s executive committee to confront Fisher on Friday morning and make him reassess his 50-50 push, a source familiar with the negotiations told FOXSports.com Friday afternoon.

A veteran NBA player familiar with the negotiations characterized the concerns about Fisher’s allegiance as similar to the concerns about Michael Curry in 2005, the year of the league’s last collective-bargaining agreement.

Curry, an 11-year NBA player who earned about $15 million for his career, was the union’s player president from July 2001 through late June 2005. At age 36, he played 18 games for the Indiana Pacers during the 2004-05 season, his last season. The NBA and the union agreed in principle on the now-expired labor deal on June 21, 2005. A week later, Michael Curry stepped down as the union’s president. On Sept. 8, 2005, David Stern announced that his alleged former labor-agreement adversary would be vice president, player development for the NBA Development League.

“Michael has always expressed an interest in helping to develop young players whose potential has yet to be realized,

Whitlock and his Wire references.
laugh.gif

Let's not forget Antonio Davis either. He's got a steady job at NBA TV after being the union president.
nerd.gif

Whitlock and his Wire references.
laugh.gif

Let's not forget Antonio Davis either. He's got a steady job at NBA TV after being the union president.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I hope you're right, but I'm not so sure.  Both sides seem to be taking a pretty hard line on the BRI split.  I can't see the owners moving much on that, so unless there is a real push by the non-superstar players to just take 50-50 and get the deal done, I'm thinking we won't have games until after the new year, if we get any part of 2011-2012 season at all.   

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I hope you're right, but I'm not so sure.  Both sides seem to be taking a pretty hard line on the BRI split.  I can't see the owners moving much on that, so unless there is a real push by the non-superstar players to just take 50-50 and get the deal done, I'm thinking we won't have games until after the new year, if we get any part of 2011-2012 season at all.   

That amnesty clause and stretch exception is really going to help a lot of teams.  If the Chicago Bulls can't find a way to benefit from that I will off myself. 

As for the lockout.  I think it's going to end by this week.  I'm pretty sure of it. 
nerd.gif

That amnesty clause and stretch exception is really going to help a lot of teams.  If the Chicago Bulls can't find a way to benefit from that I will off myself. 

As for the lockout.  I think it's going to end by this week.  I'm pretty sure of it. 
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom