The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
NBA labor latest: Sources say Stern privately surveying some owners to gauge willingness to making full midlevel exception open to all teams

I've always been a supporter of shortening the season in the first place... but that many games in such a short time? If we do get an NBA season it will result in some AWFUL basketball
laugh.gif

I've always been a supporter of shortening the season in the first place... but that many games in such a short time? If we do get an NBA season it will result in some AWFUL basketball
laugh.gif

Sources: Sides hope to resolve lawsuits

The sides in the NBA labor dispute, which reached its 146th day Wednesday, have re-opened negotiations aimed at resolving the lawsuits recently filed by players, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

The two sides agreed Monday to resume talks for the first time in nearly two weeks, sources said, with discussions commencing Tuesday and continuing Wednesday.

The primary push for the talks, according to The New York Times, is a desire to make one last run at ending the five-month labor dispute in time to start the season on Christmas. But the latest negotiations are considered part of settlement talks relating to the litigation, according to the Times.

The Times also reported that the league has a 66-game season in mind if the sides can agree to the outline of a new labor deal in time for Christmas Day games. NBA commissioner David Stern has said on numerous occasions that the league needs a month after the sides shake hands to finish putting a new labor deal in writing and allow for a compressed training camp and free agency period before the regular season begins.

Lawyers from both sides are primarily involved in the new negotiations, sources said, along with Stern and NBA Players Association executive director Billy Hunter.

Yahoo! Sports, which first reported the resumption of talks Wednesday, reported that union president Derek Fisher was not part of this week's negotiations. The union filed a "disclaimer of interest" last week to dissolve itself and file a series of anti-trust suits against the NBA in California and Minnesota following the latest breakdown in talks.

The NBA said Wednesday that "it remains in favor of a negotiated resolution (to the lockout)" but declined to comment further.

Christmas games generally are considered the launching pad for the NBA's national TV schedule. There were three games on the original Dec. 25 schedule -- Boston at New York at noon ET on ESPN, followed by an ABC doubleheader featuring an NBA Finals rematch pitting Miami at Dallas (2:30 p.m.) and Chicago visiting the Los Angeles Lakers (5 p.m.) -- but league officials are expected to draft an entirely new schedule if a deal can be struck to save the season.

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that Stern has privately surveyed a handful of owners about their willingness to ease the restrictions on the proposed mid-level exception in a new labor agreement, one of the biggest areas of contention on the players' side.

The players continue to push for the full mid-level exception to be made available to all teams -- not just teams under the luxury-tax threshold -- and sources say league officials have discussed whether to make that concession in their next proposal to the players.

Based on the league's most recent proposal rejected by the union on Nov. 13, teams that stay out of luxury-tax territory would be able to offer free agents the full mid-level exception, worth $5 million annually for a maximum of four years. But tax teams would be restricted to offer a so-called "mini" mid-level worth a maximum of $3 million annually over three seasons.

It is believed the league's next proposal to the players will contain tweaks to some of the "system" issues that the players have strongly objected to in recent negotiations. The players have long insisted -- in exchange for accepting a 50/50 split of annual basketball-related income after earning a 57-percent share of BRI in the final year of the previous labor deal -- that the league's proposed restrictions against luxury-tax teams must be relaxed.

Link

Sources: Sides hope to resolve lawsuits

The sides in the NBA labor dispute, which reached its 146th day Wednesday, have re-opened negotiations aimed at resolving the lawsuits recently filed by players, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

The two sides agreed Monday to resume talks for the first time in nearly two weeks, sources said, with discussions commencing Tuesday and continuing Wednesday.

The primary push for the talks, according to The New York Times, is a desire to make one last run at ending the five-month labor dispute in time to start the season on Christmas. But the latest negotiations are considered part of settlement talks relating to the litigation, according to the Times.

The Times also reported that the league has a 66-game season in mind if the sides can agree to the outline of a new labor deal in time for Christmas Day games. NBA commissioner David Stern has said on numerous occasions that the league needs a month after the sides shake hands to finish putting a new labor deal in writing and allow for a compressed training camp and free agency period before the regular season begins.

Lawyers from both sides are primarily involved in the new negotiations, sources said, along with Stern and NBA Players Association executive director Billy Hunter.

Yahoo! Sports, which first reported the resumption of talks Wednesday, reported that union president Derek Fisher was not part of this week's negotiations. The union filed a "disclaimer of interest" last week to dissolve itself and file a series of anti-trust suits against the NBA in California and Minnesota following the latest breakdown in talks.

The NBA said Wednesday that "it remains in favor of a negotiated resolution (to the lockout)" but declined to comment further.

Christmas games generally are considered the launching pad for the NBA's national TV schedule. There were three games on the original Dec. 25 schedule -- Boston at New York at noon ET on ESPN, followed by an ABC doubleheader featuring an NBA Finals rematch pitting Miami at Dallas (2:30 p.m.) and Chicago visiting the Los Angeles Lakers (5 p.m.) -- but league officials are expected to draft an entirely new schedule if a deal can be struck to save the season.

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that Stern has privately surveyed a handful of owners about their willingness to ease the restrictions on the proposed mid-level exception in a new labor agreement, one of the biggest areas of contention on the players' side.

The players continue to push for the full mid-level exception to be made available to all teams -- not just teams under the luxury-tax threshold -- and sources say league officials have discussed whether to make that concession in their next proposal to the players.

Based on the league's most recent proposal rejected by the union on Nov. 13, teams that stay out of luxury-tax territory would be able to offer free agents the full mid-level exception, worth $5 million annually for a maximum of four years. But tax teams would be restricted to offer a so-called "mini" mid-level worth a maximum of $3 million annually over three seasons.

It is believed the league's next proposal to the players will contain tweaks to some of the "system" issues that the players have strongly objected to in recent negotiations. The players have long insisted -- in exchange for accepting a 50/50 split of annual basketball-related income after earning a 57-percent share of BRI in the final year of the previous labor deal -- that the league's proposed restrictions against luxury-tax teams must be relaxed.

Link

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by MoNeyLiCiouS

dmbrhs said:
They better not get anything solved before December 15th. I need that charity game in Seattle.

NBA Season > You + Seattle
When they take your team away, and almost four years later you get your first chance to see even just an exhibition like this, you'd feel the same way. I want a season as much as the next guy, but Seattle needs this game to happen.

feelsbatman.jpg

66 games on HDTV > 1 exhibition game live

although I feel ur frustration bro

dmbrhs said:
They better not get anything solved before December 15th. I need that charity game in Seattle.

When they take your team away, and almost four years later you get your first chance to see even just an exhibition like this, you'd feel the same way. I want a season as much as the next guy, but Seattle needs this game to happen.

feelsbatman.jpg

66 games on HDTV > 1 exhibition game live

although I feel ur frustration bro

i think they will be playing in jan....they better!
if we do lose the season what happens with the draft? it should be a lottery for every team......if that is the case and the bulls get lucky again wouldnt be a bad thing to lose the season, Drummond or Lamb would look good in chitown.

i think they will be playing in jan....they better!
if we do lose the season what happens with the draft? it should be a lottery for every team......if that is the case and the bulls get lucky again wouldnt be a bad thing to lose the season, Drummond or Lamb would look good in chitown.

dmbrhs said:

I hope the Maloofs never take the Kings away from Sacramento
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

dmbrhs said:

I hope the Maloofs never take the Kings away from Sacramento
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom