The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

I think owners recognize the whole alternative league thing for what it is.  A thinly veiled bluff.

What owners are really scared about is the lockout prolonging to the point where there'll be fan backlash. 

Both sides are bluffing here.  Players with their talk of starting a different league and owners telling the players that they're willing to lock out for a season or two. 

I'm sure the players blink first. 

On the whole competitive balance issue, and comparing to the NFL/revenue sharing, when would be a good time to mention that the NFL schedules for bad teams? 
nerd.gif

Imagine if the Timberwolves didn't have to play the Lakers, the Celtics or the Heat. 

That's what happens in the NFL, NOT in the NBA. 

The 2007 Dolphins went 1-15, the next year 11-5, how?  They played the 9ers, the Seahawks, the Rams, and the Cardinals.  They also played the bottom AFC teams from the year before, stole a game or two here and there, boom, playoffs, one year turnaround. 

That's how the NFL does it.  Period.  The draft, no lottery for the draft, worst record gets #1 pick.  How many times in the NBA does the worst team get the #1 pick?  The NFL slants themselves to have quick turnarounds.  Get the best picks, the easiest schedules, and just like that you can be at least decent within one year. 

The NBA you play everbody (give or take an extra game vs this or that team) there is no way to slant the schedule.  It is what it is.  Why does no one ever bring that up and just assume oh well they share money, so that must be the answer.  No, it's not.  Help?  Yeah, sure, of course it does, be all end all fix?  No way in hell.  People need to wisen up about that topic. 

This @#$% needs to get done already.  I'm tired of hearin about this crap. 

On the whole competitive balance issue, and comparing to the NFL/revenue sharing, when would be a good time to mention that the NFL schedules for bad teams? 
nerd.gif

Imagine if the Timberwolves didn't have to play the Lakers, the Celtics or the Heat. 

That's what happens in the NFL, NOT in the NBA. 

The 2007 Dolphins went 1-15, the next year 11-5, how?  They played the 9ers, the Seahawks, the Rams, and the Cardinals.  They also played the bottom AFC teams from the year before, stole a game or two here and there, boom, playoffs, one year turnaround. 

That's how the NFL does it.  Period.  The draft, no lottery for the draft, worst record gets #1 pick.  How many times in the NBA does the worst team get the #1 pick?  The NFL slants themselves to have quick turnarounds.  Get the best picks, the easiest schedules, and just like that you can be at least decent within one year. 

The NBA you play everbody (give or take an extra game vs this or that team) there is no way to slant the schedule.  It is what it is.  Why does no one ever bring that up and just assume oh well they share money, so that must be the answer.  No, it's not.  Help?  Yeah, sure, of course it does, be all end all fix?  No way in hell.  People need to wisen up about that topic. 

Originally Posted by CP1708

Whether you're pro-owner or pro-player, I think we can all agree with this.  I'm hoping that mediator can work some magic today and we'll hear some good news later.

For whatever its worth, per David Aldridge's Twitter, they've already been in meetings for 9 hours today and are still going.  That makes today the single longest negotiating session so far.  

Originally Posted by CP1708

Whether you're pro-owner or pro-player, I think we can all agree with this.  I'm hoping that mediator can work some magic today and we'll hear some good news later.

For whatever its worth, per David Aldridge's Twitter, they've already been in meetings for 9 hours today and are still going.  That makes today the single longest negotiating session so far.  

The city of Memphis is prepared to file a lawsuit against the NBA for revenue lost from the lockout

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Memphis Looks to Sue NBA over Lockout[/h1]
Updated: Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011, 7:16 PM CDT
Published : Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011, 3:54 PM CDT
MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The city of Memphis is considering getting involved in the NBA owners' lockout of the players. Memphis taxpayers stand to lose a lot of money if game revenue doesn't come in to pay off the bonds used to build the FedExForum.

Early estimates show the taxpayers could be on the hook for $18 million if the entire season is cancelled.

With the first two weeks of regular season games already cancelled, the city says it wants to stay proactive. At the suggestion of Chairman Myron Lowry, the council is considering a resolution that would ask City Council Attorney Allan Wade to explore all options, including a lawsuit against the NBA.

Wade says this is the first city he's heard of considering this type of action. "If it gets to be half a season that's a big problem. If that thing sits idle for a whole season that's a big problem," he said. "I think that goes against the spirit of our agreement because our arena is built with revenue, not guaranteed money."

Lowry added, "I want the citizens of Memphis to know that we are not sitting by idly, waiting for this to hit us and for us to say we're sorry."

The resulotion passed by an 8-3 council vote Tuesday night.

The resolution states:
WHEREAS, the National Basketball Association (NBA) has suspended the first two (2) weeks of the 2011-2012 NBA season; and

WHEREAS, bond indebtedness issued by the Sports Authority is payable from certain revenues generated from NBA games; and

WHEREAS, the City of Memphis and Shelby County agreed to replenish the debt service reserve fund for the bonds should it ever become inadequate; and

WHEREAS, the cancellation of games will cause a loss is revenues available for debt service which may necessitate the appropriation of public revenues to cover the shortfall.

NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that the Council requests its attorney to explore all options for recovery of lost revenues and to take steps to recover such revenue, if necessary.

Link

The city of Memphis is prepared to file a lawsuit against the NBA for revenue lost from the lockout

[h1][/h1]
MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The city of Memphis is considering getting involved in the NBA owners' lockout of the players. Memphis taxpayers stand to lose a lot of money if game revenue doesn't come in to pay off the bonds used to build the FedExForum.

Early estimates show the taxpayers could be on the hook for $18 million if the entire season is cancelled.

With the first two weeks of regular season games already cancelled, the city says it wants to stay proactive. At the suggestion of Chairman Myron Lowry, the council is considering a resolution that would ask City Council Attorney Allan Wade to explore all options, including a lawsuit against the NBA.

Wade says this is the first city he's heard of considering this type of action. "If it gets to be half a season that's a big problem. If that thing sits idle for a whole season that's a big problem," he said. "I think that goes against the spirit of our agreement because our arena is built with revenue, not guaranteed money."

Lowry added, "I want the citizens of Memphis to know that we are not sitting by idly, waiting for this to hit us and for us to say we're sorry."

The resolution states:
WHEREAS, the National Basketball Association (NBA) has suspended the first two (2) weeks of the 2011-2012 NBA season; and

WHEREAS, bond indebtedness issued by the Sports Authority is payable from certain revenues generated from NBA games; and

WHEREAS, the City of Memphis and Shelby County agreed to replenish the debt service reserve fund for the bonds should it ever become inadequate; and

WHEREAS, the cancellation of games will cause a loss is revenues available for debt service which may necessitate the appropriation of public revenues to cover the shortfall.

NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that the Council requests its attorney to explore all options for recovery of lost revenues and to take steps to recover such revenue, if necessary.

Link

Originally Posted by you big dummy

[h1][/h1]

The resolution states:

Link

You guys thought it was crazy to say that cities wouldnt invest/ give sweatheart deals if the players got their business together. The NBA is on the hook for that money if they dont get it together. On a side note, If they could get a deal done in the next week or 2 why wouldnt they extend the season to July? Mid November start for next season isnt that bad a proposition if where talking about 100 some odd games missed cause you canceled them.

Originally Posted by you big dummy

[h1][/h1]

The resolution states:

Link

You guys thought it was crazy to say that cities wouldnt invest/ give sweatheart deals if the players got their business together. The NBA is on the hook for that money if they dont get it together. On a side note, If they could get a deal done in the next week or 2 why wouldnt they extend the season to July? Mid November start for next season isnt that bad a proposition if where talking about 100 some odd games missed cause you canceled them.

Nearly 11 hour long meeting...makes you think why couldn't they have done this earlier?

Nearly 11 hour long meeting...makes you think why couldn't they have done this earlier?

It's with a mediator right?

Probably a much needed buffer between the two parties considering all the back and forth bickering in the press.

It's with a mediator right?

Probably a much needed buffer between the two parties considering all the back and forth bickering in the press.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the longer it takes, the worse the news will be? I have a bad feeling about this... i hope i'm wrong.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the longer it takes, the worse the news will be? I have a bad feeling about this... i hope i'm wrong.

if it is cancelled they might as well start a league of their own. i would pay to watch it would be more basketball and less money hungry pricks like stern and the owners trying to fix games im sure

if it is cancelled they might as well start a league of their own. i would pay to watch it would be more basketball and less money hungry pricks like stern and the owners trying to fix games im sure

Back
Top Bottom