The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

Originally Posted by Statis22

At one point Dallas had Dirk, Nash, Finley, Antoine Walker, & Jamison all on the same team in their primes. You will never see a small market get a coup like that.
2001 portland trail blazers had
rasheed

pippen

zach randolph

bonzi

damon stoudamire

derek anderson

dale davis

shawn kemp

within 3 years of 2001, they also had jim jackson, steve smith, and jermaine o'neal 
Zach Randolph was so good he played for the Blazers and Michigan State at the same time? Impressive.

Randolph was a non-factor until a few years into his career anyway, and by then the Blazers were on their way to the bottom.

2001-2002 season 
eyes.gif

and its more of a testament of them drafting what turned out to be a quality player at 17 rather than what his production was as a rookie. 

fact is, portland stockpiled their team with talent through proper management. they just happen to run into the lakers and the spurs

Originally Posted by Statis22

At one point Dallas had Dirk, Nash, Finley, Antoine Walker, & Jamison all on the same team in their primes. You will never see a small market get a coup like that.
rasheed

pippen

zach randolph

bonzi

damon stoudamire

derek anderson

dale davis

shawn kemp

within 3 years of 2001, they also had jim jackson, steve smith, and jermaine o'neal 
Zach Randolph was so good he played for the Blazers and Michigan State at the same time? Impressive.

Randolph was a non-factor until a few years into his career anyway, and by then the Blazers were on their way to the bottom.

2001-2002 season 
eyes.gif

and its more of a testament of them drafting what turned out to be a quality player at 17 rather than what his production was as a rookie. 

fact is, portland stockpiled their team with talent through proper management. they just happen to run into the lakers and the spurs

Stern needs to stop with the arbitrary dates to get a deal done

The more and more I read it just reinforces that the league wants to protect itself from it's own stupidity

Go ahead and have a 40 million dollar hard cap. The players will still flock to big markets to make up the money in endorsements and fame. They wil still go to the nice areas with no tax

The more and more I read it just reinforces that the league wants to protect itself from it's own stupidity

Go ahead and have a 40 million dollar hard cap. The players will still flock to big markets to make up the money in endorsements and fame. They wil still go to the nice areas with no tax

rasheed

pippen

zach randolph

bonzi

damon stoudamire

derek anderson

dale davis

shawn kemp

2001-2002 season 
eyes.gif

Yep, I've said this, but DBD and others don't hear me though. 
eyes.gif

rasheed

pippen

zach randolph

bonzi

damon stoudamire

derek anderson

dale davis

shawn kemp

2001-2002 season 
eyes.gif

Yep, I've said this, but DBD and others don't hear me though. 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by DubA169

Hopefully, that's something the mediator can help with.  If he thinks progress is being made, the mediator may be able to persuade both sides about not taking a hard line about when a deal need to get done.  Although I'm not convinced it will, I'm hoping that the mediator's involvement will at least decrease the level of !@#$ing around that's gone on with this thing up until now.   

Hopefully, that's something the mediator can help with.  If he thinks progress is being made, the mediator may be able to persuade both sides about not taking a hard line about when a deal need to get done.  Although I'm not convinced it will, I'm hoping that the mediator's involvement will at least decrease the level of !@#$ing around that's gone on with this thing up until now.   

Originally Posted by CP1708

I want to see all this movement people have been complaining about.  Let's list it all out right here, show me all these horribly unfair moves/deals that have "ruined" the game. 

Lakers, trade for Kareem in the early 70's, sign Shaq in 96, trade for Pau in 08
Celtics,
Knicks, Spree and Houstin in late 90's, Stat and Melo in 10
Clippers, Ron Harper count?
T-Wolves,
Nets, Trade for Kidd early 2000's, trade for D-Will in 10
Grizz, Zach Randolph????
Pacers, Ron Artest mid 90's, J Oneal late 90's. 
Bucks
Bulls, Boozer in 10
Heat, Zo and Hardaway were how old?  If still young, they go here, Bron and Bosh in 10
Suns, Trade for Barkley in 93, traded for McDyess, sign Nash in 05.  (he barely counts, but had 5+ good years with Suns)
Magic, sign Hill, TMac, and Lewis, several weird trades
Warriors
Kings, Webber, Bibby, not sure if I count Artest here
Blazers, Cliff Robinson, Sheed, Damon Stoudemire, B Grant,
Sonics/Thunder, trade for Ray Allen
Jazz, Hornacek? 
Pistons, Stackhouse, Sheed?
Denver, I don't know if I count AI, K-Mart counts
Mavs, Terry, Caron Butler I guess
Hawks, traded for Sheed, then flipped him, Joe Johnson
Rockets, Artest
Spurs
Hornets, I don't feel bad at all, they broke up the Zo-LJ duo, then broke up Glen Rice-LJ duo.  Cry me a river, they led in attendance for a few years with them guys
Bobcats,
Cavs,
76ers,
Raptors,
Wizards, Webber,

These are all the moves off the top of my head, fill me in on the others, show me the massive amounts of movement each year that is big guys, in their primes, that go from team to team unfairly, KG and Ray Allen in Boston don't count, they were already old, and have not yet given the Celts a good solid 5 years. 

If you know any moves I am missing, please let me know and I will edit this list.  Go as far back as you want, just show me the names so I can see the unfairness going on in the NBA. 
Just some random ones that I'm sure really pissed off "small market" fans.

Warriors getting Baron Davis for Dale Davis and Speedy Claxton
Blazers paying Steve Francis $30M to go away.
Spurs trading away Luis Scola because they couldn't/didn't want to pay him.
Spurs taking "advantage" of the Bucks and trading for Richard Jefferson (this hasn't quite worked out
laugh.gif
)
Jazz having to trade Eric Maynor to rid themselves of Matt Harpring's contract
Bobcats dumping Gerald Wallace for Joel Pryzbilla and picks.

Edit:

Atlanta Hawks
Boston Celtics
Charlotte Bobcats
Chicago Bulls
Cleveland Cavaliers
Dallas Mavericks
Denver Nuggets
Detroit Pistons
Golden State Warriors
Houston Rockets
Indiana Pacers
LA Clippers
LA Lakers
Memphis Grizzlies
Miami Heat
Milwaukee Bucks
Minnesota Timberwolves
New Jersey Nets
New Orleans Hornets
New York Knicks
Oklahoma City Thunder
Orlando Magic
Philadelphia Sixers
Phoenix Suns
Portland Trail Blazers
Sacramento Kings
San Antonio Spurs
Toronto Raptors
Utah Jazz
Washington Wizards

so which are big and small markets?
Big
Lakers/Clippers
Knicks/Nets soon
Bulls

Warriors
Mavericks
Rockets
Sixers

Small
Thunder
Grizzlies
Bobcats
Hornets
Pacers
Kings
Jazz
Bucks
Spurs
Blazers

Everybody else is mid market in my eyes.

I want to see all this movement people have been complaining about.  Let's list it all out right here, show me all these horribly unfair moves/deals that have "ruined" the game. 

Lakers, trade for Kareem in the early 70's, sign Shaq in 96, trade for Pau in 08
Celtics,
Knicks, Spree and Houstin in late 90's, Stat and Melo in 10
Clippers, Ron Harper count?
T-Wolves,
Nets, Trade for Kidd early 2000's, trade for D-Will in 10
Grizz, Zach Randolph????
Pacers, Ron Artest mid 90's, J Oneal late 90's. 
Bucks
Bulls, Boozer in 10
Heat, Zo and Hardaway were how old?  If still young, they go here, Bron and Bosh in 10
Suns, Trade for Barkley in 93, traded for McDyess, sign Nash in 05.  (he barely counts, but had 5+ good years with Suns)
Magic, sign Hill, TMac, and Lewis, several weird trades
Warriors
Kings, Webber, Bibby, not sure if I count Artest here
Blazers, Cliff Robinson, Sheed, Damon Stoudemire, B Grant,
Sonics/Thunder, trade for Ray Allen
Jazz, Hornacek? 
Pistons, Stackhouse, Sheed?
Denver, I don't know if I count AI, K-Mart counts
Mavs, Terry, Caron Butler I guess
Hawks, traded for Sheed, then flipped him, Joe Johnson
Rockets, Artest
Spurs
Hornets, I don't feel bad at all, they broke up the Zo-LJ duo, then broke up Glen Rice-LJ duo.  Cry me a river, they led in attendance for a few years with them guys
Bobcats,
Cavs,
76ers,
Raptors,
Wizards, Webber,

These are all the moves off the top of my head, fill me in on the others, show me the massive amounts of movement each year that is big guys, in their primes, that go from team to team unfairly, KG and Ray Allen in Boston don't count, they were already old, and have not yet given the Celts a good solid 5 years. 

If you know any moves I am missing, please let me know and I will edit this list.  Go as far back as you want, just show me the names so I can see the unfairness going on in the NBA. 

Spurs taking "advantage" of the Bucks and trading for Richard Jefferson (this hasn't quite worked out
laugh.gif
)

Edit:

Atlanta Hawks
Boston Celtics
Charlotte Bobcats
Chicago Bulls
Cleveland Cavaliers
Dallas Mavericks
Denver Nuggets
Detroit Pistons
Golden State Warriors
Houston Rockets
Indiana Pacers
LA Clippers
LA Lakers
Memphis Grizzlies
Miami Heat
Milwaukee Bucks
Minnesota Timberwolves
New Jersey Nets
New Orleans Hornets
New York Knicks
Oklahoma City Thunder
Orlando Magic
Philadelphia Sixers
Phoenix Suns
Portland Trail Blazers
Sacramento Kings
San Antonio Spurs
Toronto Raptors
Utah Jazz
Washington Wizards

Big
Lakers/Clippers
Knicks/Nets soon
Bulls

Warriors
Mavericks
Rockets
Sixers

Small
Thunder
Grizzlies
Bobcats
Hornets
Pacers
Kings
Jazz
Bucks
Spurs
Blazers

Everybody else is mid market in my eyes.

Atlanta Hawks
Boston Celtics
Charlotte Bobcats
Chicago Bulls
Cleveland Cavaliers
Dallas Mavericks
Denver Nuggets
Detroit Pistons
Golden State Warriors
Houston Rockets
Indiana Pacers
LA Clippers
LA Lakers
Memphis Grizzlies
Miami Heat
Milwaukee Bucks
Minnesota Timberwolves
New Jersey Nets
New Orleans Hornets
New York Knicks
Oklahoma City Thunder
Orlando Magic
Philadelphia Sixers
Phoenix Suns
Portland Trail Blazers
Sacramento Kings
San Antonio Spurs
Toronto Raptors
Utah Jazz
Washington Wizards

going off TV markets?

Big market would be:
Knicks
Clippers
Lakers
Bulls
Pistons
76ers
Boston
Warriors
Rockets
Hawks
Phoenix

the rest you can put as small markets

again thats going off TV markets. and if you went off TV markets the Twolves are in the top 15

but as you can see from that list its some teams that play in a big market that are run like a small market team warriors,suns and rockets

Atlanta Hawks
Boston Celtics
Charlotte Bobcats
Chicago Bulls
Cleveland Cavaliers
Dallas Mavericks
Denver Nuggets
Detroit Pistons
Golden State Warriors
Houston Rockets
Indiana Pacers
LA Clippers
LA Lakers
Memphis Grizzlies
Miami Heat
Milwaukee Bucks
Minnesota Timberwolves
New Jersey Nets
New Orleans Hornets
New York Knicks
Oklahoma City Thunder
Orlando Magic
Philadelphia Sixers
Phoenix Suns
Portland Trail Blazers
Sacramento Kings
San Antonio Spurs
Toronto Raptors
Utah Jazz
Washington Wizards

going off TV markets?

Big market would be:
Knicks
Clippers
Lakers
Bulls
Pistons
76ers
Boston
Warriors
Rockets
Hawks
Phoenix

the rest you can put as small markets

again thats going off TV markets. and if you went off TV markets the Twolves are in the top 15

but as you can see from that list its some teams that play in a big market that are run like a small market team warriors,suns and rockets

Originally Posted by Jay02

Your right on that, the CBA wont attract players to smaller cities. But with a bigger shared revenue it will give them better financial opportunities like the bigger marketed teams. Along with that if the salary cap is decreased it will stop teams from creating this terrible big 3 trend. They wont be able to fit 3 contracts like the size of Miami's big 3. When stars cant come together like this they are forced to go elsewhere creating more parity. Unless superstars are willing to take enormous pay cuts. 
Hi. 

Can you explain the bold underline to me please?  You just said last page the bucks had 96 million dollars to spend, and nobody would take it.  But you say here that revenue sharing would somehow upen up some doors........explain. 

As for the decrease, where do you want the bar set man?  It was mid 50's last year wasn't it?  What do you want it to be at, 50 mil even?  For 12 players per team, in a league that made what, 3 bil last year?  Something like that.  Where is all that left over money going in your wish list? 
nerd.gif

It won't be long before I start seeing people say each player gets only 1 million per year, I can see it now. 
laugh.gif

Howdy,
The league is in a bit of a different state currently then it was 7 years ago. 22 teams lost money this year. No way in hell that includes your Lakers. Again shared revenue would help this. At one point we were able to shell out 96 million, cant take risks like that anymore (whether or not it was a good management move is irrelevant). Either way 3/4 of the NBA werent losing money then. 
And the bar for the salary decrease, idk I dont have a number. But its clear that I think the players should be making less cause like I said it was stop these stupid big 3's from forming. What I see happening though is the players and owners agreeing on 50/50. I dont know how much the players are getting now but I know its more than half.

Your right on that, the CBA wont attract players to smaller cities. But with a bigger shared revenue it will give them better financial opportunities like the bigger marketed teams. Along with that if the salary cap is decreased it will stop teams from creating this terrible big 3 trend. They wont be able to fit 3 contracts like the size of Miami's big 3. When stars cant come together like this they are forced to go elsewhere creating more parity. Unless superstars are willing to take enormous pay cuts. 
Hi. 

Can you explain the bold underline to me please?  You just said last page the bucks had 96 million dollars to spend, and nobody would take it.  But you say here that revenue sharing would somehow upen up some doors........explain. 

As for the decrease, where do you want the bar set man?  It was mid 50's last year wasn't it?  What do you want it to be at, 50 mil even?  For 12 players per team, in a league that made what, 3 bil last year?  Something like that.  Where is all that left over money going in your wish list? 
nerd.gif

It won't be long before I start seeing people say each player gets only 1 million per year, I can see it now. 
laugh.gif

Howdy,
The league is in a bit of a different state currently then it was 7 years ago. 22 teams lost money this year. No way in hell that includes your Lakers. Again shared revenue would help this. At one point we were able to shell out 96 million, cant take risks like that anymore (whether or not it was a good management move is irrelevant). Either way 3/4 of the NBA werent losing money then. 
And the bar for the salary decrease, idk I dont have a number. But its clear that I think the players should be making less cause like I said it was stop these stupid big 3's from forming. What I see happening though is the players and owners agreeing on 50/50. I dont know how much the players are getting now but I know its more than half.

Originally Posted by PMatic

laugh.gif
)
Blazers paid a bum to leave.  Fair enough. 

Maynor went small market, to small market.  How is that a big market issue? 

Wallace, small market, to small market.  Again, not seein the issue here. 

Are the Warriors considered big or small?  If they are big, I'll give you that one with Baron, he's a decent enough player. 

I guess you could argue that big markets wouldn't have had to trade away anybody, is that going to be the claim now? 

The Scola one is very interesting, but I don't know the whole story.  A he was drafted a long time ago wasn't he?  But he was international star right?  Like Ginobili.  What kind of demands money wise was he making back then?  Couldn't have been too much could it, hell his deal last year is more than reasonable.  And why would the Spurs gamble with Ginobili, Parker, the new Duncan 2.0 kid, but not Scola? 
ohwell.gif
  Based on their track record, that makes me think more along they were less sure about Scola than the others, know what I mean? 

laugh.gif
)

Are the Warriors considered big or small?  If they are big, I'll give you that one with Baron, he's a decent enough player. 

I guess you could argue that big markets wouldn't have had to trade away anybody, is that going to be the claim now? 

The Scola one is very interesting, but I don't know the whole story.  A he was drafted a long time ago wasn't he?  But he was international star right?  Like Ginobili.  What kind of demands money wise was he making back then?  Couldn't have been too much could it, hell his deal last year is more than reasonable.  And why would the Spurs gamble with Ginobili, Parker, the new Duncan 2.0 kid, but not Scola? 
ohwell.gif
  Based on their track record, that makes me think more along they were less sure about Scola than the others, know what I mean? 

Small
Thunder  WCF, playoffs 2 years runnin, bright future
Grizzlies, game 7 second round, bright future
Bobcats playoffs one year ago, tore it down for some reason
Hornets, playoffs last year, a mess with like 3-4 assets
Pacers
Kings, big success in the early decade, rebuilding now 2-3 peices
Jazz, made playoffs like 25 out of 26 years or whatever
Bucks
Spurs 4 titles,
Blazers, similar to Sac, highest payroll in the league for a few years there. 
If only small markets had a chance to be good........

Small
Thunder  WCF, playoffs 2 years runnin, bright future
Grizzlies, game 7 second round, bright future
Bobcats playoffs one year ago, tore it down for some reason
Hornets, playoffs last year, a mess with like 3-4 assets
Pacers
Kings, big success in the early decade, rebuilding now 2-3 peices
Jazz, made playoffs like 25 out of 26 years or whatever
Bucks
Spurs 4 titles,
Blazers, similar to Sac, highest payroll in the league for a few years there. 
If only small markets had a chance to be good........

laugh.gif
)

ohwell.gif

True about the small market to small market talk, but being the situation in itself isn't good in their fans' eyes.

The Warriors are definitely in a big market, it's just been untapped due to their ineptitude.

About Scola, he was drafted in 2002 by the Spurs. He went on to win league/tournament championships and MVPs. The Spurs tried to negotiate a deal with Scola but they couldn't compromise (the Spurs settled for Fab Oberto) and traded Scola away to the Rockets. Rockets agreed to sign Scola to a 3 year deal worth nearly $10M. I guess the Spurs weren't willing to spend that amount of money at the time (since Duncan, Parker and Ginboili were all in the middle/back end of their primes) like they did with Splitter last summer.

laugh.gif
)

ohwell.gif

True about the small market to small market talk, but being the situation in itself isn't good in their fans' eyes.

The Warriors are definitely in a big market, it's just been untapped due to their ineptitude.

About Scola, he was drafted in 2002 by the Spurs. He went on to win league/tournament championships and MVPs. The Spurs tried to negotiate a deal with Scola but they couldn't compromise (the Spurs settled for Fab Oberto) and traded Scola away to the Rockets. Rockets agreed to sign Scola to a 3 year deal worth nearly $10M. I guess the Spurs weren't willing to spend that amount of money at the time (since Duncan, Parker and Ginboili were all in the middle/back end of their primes) like they did with Splitter last summer.

Hi. 

nerd.gif

laugh.gif

Howdy,

About the "big 3s," I think that's another difference between the league now and a few years ago.  There's been sort of a cultural shift with the star players that's its best to team up with another star and get a ring that way.  In the 80s, 90s and even early 2000, you didn't see stars openly talking about wanting to go play with other stars.  But now its actually been done, so its impacted the model of what other teams have to compete with.  Sure, Dallas got Miami this last year, but there's very few people who don't think the Heat will break through and get theirs at some point soon.   

Hi. 

nerd.gif

laugh.gif

Howdy,

About the "big 3s," I think that's another difference between the league now and a few years ago.  There's been sort of a cultural shift with the star players that's its best to team up with another star and get a ring that way.  In the 80s, 90s and even early 2000, you didn't see stars openly talking about wanting to go play with other stars.  But now its actually been done, so its impacted the model of what other teams have to compete with.  Sure, Dallas got Miami this last year, but there's very few people who don't think the Heat will break through and get theirs at some point soon.   

I don't think the jazz are a small market. Utah is pretty big and that crowd is insane. Don't know if Portland is a small market either. Especially with their owner being so wealthy

The warriors a absolutely a big market. Even their season thread on NT is gigantic.

I don't know how well the celtics are doing or how they are run. I know that the celtics are pushing for a hard cap HARD

I don't think the jazz are a small market. Utah is pretty big and that crowd is insane. Don't know if Portland is a small market either. Especially with their owner being so wealthy

The warriors a absolutely a big market. Even their season thread on NT is gigantic.

I don't know how well the celtics are doing or how they are run. I know that the celtics are pushing for a hard cap HARD

Back
Top Bottom