The Official PlayStation Thread Vol. 5 | State of Play Today | Death Stranding 2 | Silent Hill on PSN | Hell Divers | Stellar Blade | Rise of Ronin

Did you copy a PlayStation 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Damn, the wait is going to be even harder once there are more user impressions.

Thanks for posting.

I'm starting to lose a little bit of sleep, literally... my family is starting to notice my mind is "away".... :emoji_grin:

Think the only things that won't be here in time are the carbon fiber magnetic shifter mods for 2 of my wheels.

Capture_decran_2023-02-02_a_13.04.40.png

Still behind PS4 but the race is now on. Even outsold the Switch in Japan last week.

Microsoft's 2022 in terms of first party was poor and Sony took full advantage. 30% of PS5 owners are new so I'm assuming converts. Either that or kids?
At this rate the effects of the Bethesda and Activision + Gamepass combo might not felt until late gen to next gen and you have to wonder if its too late. Sony carried the PS4 momentum straight into the PS5 with no down time and they've broken into TV and film successfully.PlayStation brand firing on all cylinders. Only question mark is PSVR2.

Selling 6 Million from Jan to March will be tough though, not sure what other consoles sold that much. Thats 1 Million less than the Christmas period last quarter but they increased their forecasts. It might also mean a price drop back to where it was before since that is typically the slowest time of the year for sales.

What are these for? So the paddles have a more solid 'click' when they go back?

Right. There is very communicative "SNAP" and satisfying tactile feel when you shift. Once you experience it, everything else feels either slow (most annoying to me) and/or toy-like/vague.

My first exposure to it was with the Fanatec eSports F1 wheel I grabbed last year.

There are many aftermarket 3D printed solutions for most wheels on the market but many of them rely on double-sided tape, maybe not so sexy and such but they are pretty cheap.

The ones I ordered currently have a 3-4 week production delay and then have to ship from Europe. Others have waited ~2 months so I am braced for that...

Still behind PS4 but the race is now on. Even outsold the Switch in Japan last week.

Microsoft's 2022 in terms of first party was poor and Sony took full advantage. 30% of PS5 owners are new so I'm assuming converts. Either that or kids?
At this rate the effects of the Bethesda and Activision + Gamepass combo might not felt until late gen to next gen and you have to wonder if its too late. Sony carried the PS4 momentum straight into the PS5 with no down time and they've broken into TV and film successfully.PlayStation brand firing on all cylinders. Only question mark is PSVR2.

Selling 6 Million from Jan to March will be tough though, not sure what other consoles sold that much. Thats 1 Million less than the Christmas period last quarter but they increased their forecasts. It might also mean a price drop back to where it was before since that is typically the slowest time of the year for sales.

What new killer app besides VR, which doubles the price of the system, do they have?

RE4 and SF6 come out for everything. Spiderman is a fall title.

I think M$ can rebound this year and perform better than last. Catch up to Sony? Probably not, especially in Asian regions.

Right. There is very communicative "SNAP" and satisfying tactile feel when you shift. Once you experience it, everything else feels either slow (most annoying to me) and/or toy-like/vague.

My first exposure to it was with the Fanatec eSports F1 wheel I grabbed last year.

There are many aftermarket 3D printed solutions for most wheels on the market but many of them rely on double-sided tape, maybe not so sexy and such but they are pretty cheap.

The ones I ordered currently have a 3-4 week production delay and then have to ship from Europe. Others have waited ~2 months so I am braced for that...
Any brand recommendations for paddles on my T300RS?

On a sidenote, my upshift paddle isn't as smooth as it should be. Tempted to open it up to check the mechanism, but don't want to risk it. 😅

What new killer app besides VR, which doubles the price of the system, do they have?

RE4 and SF6 come out for everything. Spiderman is a fall title.

I think M$ can rebound this year and perform better than last. Catch up to Sony? Probably not, especially in Asian regions.

Final Fantasy XVI is this year as well and exclusive initially. Sony also has the marketing rights for Hogwarts Legacy so it might help them achieve those sales targets in CYQ1.

PSVR2 is expensive but only double the price for those who haven't bought the console. It won't be a system seller though because of the price.

MS will definitely do better with Starfield and Forza this year. Will be interesting to see if Motorsports with a long hiatus and new platform will be as relevant as Horizon.
My point though is that it may be late this gen to move the needle since momentum is on Sony's side. These were the US sales for 2nd half of last year. The ratio is more than PS4 to XB1 at this point.

1675370581349.png

I thought the combo of Bethesda and Acitivision plus Gamepass, plus cheap Series S would put them back on top in the states like the 360 days but everything is taking longer than expected and the longer it takes the more it will hurt them.

I’m at the end of Crisis Core. The game is surprisingly shorter than I expected. I have to think you could beat it in maybe 12 hours. I’m going for the plat so I’ll be messing around with it for a few more days I guess.

I’m at the end of Crisis Core. The game is surprisingly shorter than I expected. I have to think you could beat it in maybe 12 hours. I’m going for the plat so I’ll be messing around with it for a few more days I guess.

Doesn't it have 300 side missions?
I can't remember my playtime but 12 hours seems too short.

Doesn't it have 300 side missions?
I can't remember my playtime but 12 hours seems too short.
Yeah there’s a lot of them. Of course they’re optional. But if you wanted to just beat the main quest, I’m almost certain it could be done in about 12 hours. I’m in front of the final boss at 16 hours with about 30% of the side missions complete.

Any brand recommendations for paddles on my T300RS?

On a sidenote, my upshift paddle isn't as smooth as it should be. Tempted to open it up to check the mechanism, but don't want to risk it. 😅

The company I purchased from only does Fanatec but just googly "T300RS + magnetic shifter" and a bunch of options will pop up for you to review. It will be easy to discern the so-so options vs. the better ones.

If your issue is just a failed/failing spring, a magnetic shifter mod will mostly resolve the issue without you having to open it up - initially. Once the spring goes or falls completely out of alignment, you'll need to disassemble/reassemble.

If the mini-switch is failing, it will need to be replaced. After you open it up, you'll see the springs sitting right on top of the switch. Some are plugged in and others are soldered to the main board. If you can find the replacement switch, I would consider this a very minimal repair and soldering job if necessary - nothing major. If you're not into that kind of repair, then perhaps you can find a friend or electronics shop to knock it out...

TM Shifter Springs.png

I spent years in the Thrustmaster eco-system before going Fanatec but never did any mods; wish I could offer you some more insight specific to your wheel. The worst case is you dump it for parts/As-is and replace it. Yay, a legit reason for some new kit! :lol: One of my favorites on the TG-T base was the Ferrari F599XX EVO 300mm - I still miss the feel of this rim quite a bit. Feel free to PM if you have more questions...

Cheers.

The company I purchased from only does Fanatec but just googly "T300RS + magnetic shifter" and a bunch of options will pop up for you to review. It will be easy to discern the so-so options vs. the better ones.

If your issue is just a failed/failing spring, a magnetic shifter mod will mostly resolve the issue without you having to open it up - initially. Once the spring goes or falls completely out of alignment, you'll need to disassemble/reassemble.

If the mini-switch is failing, it will need to be replaced. After you open it up, you'll see the springs sitting right on top of the switch. Some are plugged in and others are soldered to the main board. If you can find the replacement switch, I would consider this a very minimal repair and soldering job if necessary - nothing major. If you're not into that kind of repair, then perhaps you can find a friend or electronics shop to knock it out...

TM Shifter Springs.png

I spent years in the Thrustmaster eco-system before going Fanatec but never did any mods; wish I could offer you some more insight specific to your wheel. The worst case is you dump it for parts/As-is and replace it. Yay, a legit reason for some new kit! :lol: One of my favorites on the TG-T base was the Ferrari F599XX EVO 300mm - I still miss the feel of this rim quite a bit. Feel free to PM if you have more questions...

Cheers.
since you have been in that TM ecosystem, do you have any insights or comparison between the functionality/feel/etc,,, between the TH8A shifter and the separate usb shifters or would they work on the T150? I made a mistake of getting the T150 and don't want to spend on the TH8A for that amount they are selling them.

since you have been in that TM ecosystem, do you have any insights or comparison between the functionality/feel/etc,,, between the TH8A shifter and the separate usb shifters or would they work on the T150? I made a mistake of getting the T150 and don't want to spend on the TH8A for that amount they are selling them.

I don't use shift boxes for sim racing, so I can't offer you any long-term impressions on the feel of the TH8A. I've just played around with it when considering it on a whim while at Microcenter. Only had a shifter back in the day because it came with the triple OG Logitech G25, this was over a decade ago, lol. As I got more into sim racing, just never felt it was worth the investment because I don't crave or spend much time with drift or dirt rally, etc... I am most fond of F1 & GT racing so the paddle shifters are accurate. Ironically, I only drive manual transmission cars in real life so rowing through spring tension (vs. something mechanical) actually reduces the immersion for me... not to mention, most sim clutch pedals are rubbish.

I totally get having a sequential shifter & handbrake for drift and dirt tracks, though. If ever become fond of that type of racing, those pieces will be must-haves.

When I played around with the TH8A, it seemed really well-built for the price at the time (maybe 4 years ago?). However, I was not a fan of having to unscrew and change the top whenever you want to switch from H-pattern to sequential. That was sort of a big turn-off for me. Also, you can adjust the gear release tension some (which is cool) but I've heard it's not anything significant. Lastly, the H-pattern & sequential functionality can be available or not available depending on how it's connected to certain TM wheelbases.

If you are only on console, I don't think there is any other proven/good quality cost-effective option besides the TH8A in the TM world. You could purchase a DriveHub adapter to force something aftermarket to work but then you'd be spending almost the same amount just to "hopefully" shift gears without software issues... So $200 for the TH8A and zero issues starts to sound like the better proposition. Also, as you start to make upgrades (if you stay with the hobby & TM), the TH8A will continue to provide some value with your newer TM kit + always and forever on PC.

If you are on PC, the world really opens up with a ton of options but be diligent in your research before buying. I've seen so many non-branded options out there that look sturdy but I prefer to stick with strong brand notoriety so I have some confidence that thorough R&D has taken place...

If you do find something aftermarket that "claims" to work natively with your T150 on console, definitely buy it from a seller with easy returns just in case.

Cheers.

I don't use shift boxes for sim racing, so I can't offer you any long-term impressions on the feel of the TH8A. I've just played around with it when considering it on a whim while at Microcenter. Only had a shifter back in the day because it came with the triple OG Logitech G25, this was over a decade ago, lol. As I got more into sim racing, just never felt it was worth the investment because I don't crave or spend much time with drift or dirt rally, etc... I am most fond of F1 & GT racing so the paddle shifters are accurate. Ironically, I only drive manual transmission cars in real life so rowing through spring tension (vs. something mechanical) actually reduces the immersion for me... not to mention, most sim clutch pedals are rubbish.

I totally get having a sequential shifter & handbrake for drift and dirt tracks, though. If ever become fond of that type of racing, those pieces will be must-haves.

When I played around with the TH8A, it seemed really well-built for the price at the time (maybe 4 years ago?). However, I was not a fan of having to unscrew and change the top whenever you want to switch from H-pattern to sequential. That was sort of a big turn-off for me. Also, you can adjust the gear release tension some (which is cool) but I've heard it's not anything significant. Lastly, the H-pattern & sequential functionality can be available or not available depending on how it's connected to certain TM wheelbases.

If you are only on console, I don't think there is any other proven/good quality cost-effective option besides the TH8A in the TM world. You could purchase a DriveHub adapter to force something aftermarket to work but then you'd be spending almost the same amount just to "hopefully" shift gears without software issues... So $200 for the TH8A and zero issues starts to sound like the better proposition. Also, as you start to make upgrades (if you stay with the hobby & TM), the TH8A will continue to provide some value with your newer TM kit + always and forever on PC.

If you are on PC, the world really opens up with a ton of options but be diligent in your research before buying. I've seen so many non-branded options out there that look sturdy but I prefer to stick with strong brand notoriety so I have some confidence that thorough R&D has taken place...

If you do find something aftermarket that "claims" to work natively with your T150 on console, definitely buy it from a seller with easy returns just in case.

Cheers.
thanks for your input. I'm still on the fence though because of the price. other than that, I would still consider it if it falls to an acceptable cost. I would have preferred the T300 if only I wasn't bothered by the failure rate due to overheating. right now, I have to make do with a smaller steering wheel and paddle shifters. those alone already affect the immersion experience, then add the lack of shift box. the pedals could be better but the midrange ones are not that bad so far.

Fanatec ecosystem would have been nice but their prices are just outrageous. so no thanks. seen another 3rd party company called SSH and so far, their product in terms of pricing and quality seems to be in between that of a TM and Fanatec. quite good and reasonable imo. hoping there would be a few more options to combat Fanatec's highend market.

Back
Top Bottom