The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 US Open)

Just give me one more roger federer grand slam and I'll be good

This.

Roger has a pretty good chance of making it to the semi finals. I don't really see anyone stopping him until her gets to the semis. I don't think Murray will be able to get far with his back and I think Fed can get pass Tsonga if he stays focused. The real test for Fed will come in the semis if he faces Nadal. Hopefully Del Potro can push Nadal to 5 sets, giving Fed an advantage in the semis. #wishfullthinking

So much for that Venus. I guess I can play some PS4 since Serena doesn't play until 2:00 a.m. central time. I'm definitely not staying up for that one.

yup that's what a I read on ESPN

@LightLotus i don't think it was much of an upset. Venus hasn't been the same player in years and Makarova is currently ranked higher than her in the WTA
That's a valid point, I don't think Venus was seeded.

Just thought she might have a chance to close it in straight sets after winning the first relatively easily. Poor Venus...

Is Maria Kirilenko related to AK47?
No they are not related at all.

=================================================

Just finished watching the Ivanovic vs Bertens match.

Shaky performance by Ivanovic, but she got through.  Her forehand and serve were pretty good today, but her backhand was shaky.  Hopefully she will be able to fix that in time for her next match.

Also caught the first set and a half of the Gulbis vs Monaco match.  Gulbis made 19 unforced errors in the first set, but started finding his spots in the second.  Currently up 2 sets to 1.  His forehand is one of the weirdest looking on tour, but also one of the deadliest (to him and his opponent).

Last edited:
^ are you Canadian?

No I am not, why?

Tonight is my favorite night of the year. LOVE the opening rounds. Refuse to bet until the second round so think I thoroughly enjoy the 1st the most

Anyone else only bet tennis primarily? I've made a good amount of $ the past two years since I've followed/fell in love with tennis more

Anyways

Crazy that Anderson got down 2 sets to love!

Monaco taking the first set off Gulbis - jesus. Gulbis will always be a head scratcher, love his game, has the game to beat anyone but cmon bro wake the **** up!

Wu losing to De Schepp is hilarious, De Schepp shocked me w his play. Used the perfect game, serve n volley vs the tyke. It aint over, but Wu aint going 5 and surviving :lol:

Wawa had a roll over

I'm actually not into the women to be honest

Todays draw is meh tbh. Tomorrow is where its at!

You guys are delusional on Roger btw. Not trying to be an a s s but, nobody has won a major at his age, ever. I think Agassi won around same age but that was a dif time and game. Roger isnt even top 25 in the world right now. Esp in 5 setters

And that is coming from a HUGE Roger guy. The time has just passed :-/

At least we have Wawa, the new Swiss Fed i hope :lol:

Did anybody see Brad Gilberts top 10 moments of 2013 earlier?

Gave me chills. Shocked he didnt mention a few matches but its expected for ESPN, who has the worst coverage imaginable. Anyways, look forward to chatting with you guys. I do a lot of live in game matches with guys on a few other sites if youre interested shoot me a PM. Nothing better than having a few brews and talking tennis w people that know the game as you watch

No I am not, why?
No, nothing... you just specifically mentioned Pospisil... 
laugh.gif

Anyway... catching up on the scores now... wow, both Robson & Watson are out!  Not sure about Hev, but Laura's been dealing with a wrist-issue.  

Ernie?  The guy has some serious pop on his groundies, but is a headcase.  
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Lightlotus, I was pulling for Venus too. tough way to lose that match esp when you cruise through the 1st set :x

And yeah, great news about Rafter & Hewitt playing dubs.  Came outta nowhere... no one expected it.  He's not even the oldest player in the draw too! 
laugh.gif
 Daniel Nestor's a few months older. 

Some proper S&V with his old-school Prince Response. 
nthat.gif

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand what happen to Venus? In the beginning she was always more dominant than Serena, she has no fight in her these past years. She should just retired honestly or focus solely on doubles.

I'm already up so I'll watch the Serena match @ 3

I'm trying to understand what happen to Venus? In the beginning she was always more dominant than Serena, she has no fight in her these past years. She should just retired honestly or focus solely on doubles.

I'm already up so I'll watch the Serena match @ 3

She wasn't more dominant she was just more hyped. She had endorsements before she turned pro. I think Serena won two slams before Venus got one. She can't blow people off the court at all anymore and her first serve is DOA most of the time. She won't get a real coach and that immune disease isn't doing her any favors either. Venus hasn't destroyed anybody since Wimbledon 2008 when she mopped the floor with Serena. Oddly enough she's the only real rival Serena has ever had. It's time to retire from singles while she can still play doubles at least.

Venus already out? Damn, man.

So, who are some up and comers for me to watch? Ever since Roddick retired and Venus fell off, I've been needed some new favorites. Who we got?

Frankly, I'm not surprised about Venus.  Ever since her health problems a few years ago, she's been struggling.  She's had her moments, but to string together 7 strong matches, especially at this point in her career, is very tough.  

Meanwhile, Petra on the verge of a 1st round exit! 
nerd.gif

Last edited:
You can track the problems Venus has to the following:

1. Health- Her disease basically makes it incredibly difficult for her to string too many matches together as she gets fatigued very fast.

2. Technical Flaws- Venus makes way too many unforced errors during a match. I've always believed that the difference between Serena and Venus is that Serena's game doesn't breakdown as often. Very difficult to win matches when you have 60+ unforced errors and double digit double faults.

3 . Stubbornness - Venus refuses to tweak her game. She is very one dimensional. Whereas Serena can beat you in multiple ways, Venus just hits the ball hard until she hits an error or a winner. Past success has made her stubborn.

Back
Top Bottom