The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 US Open)

You can track the problems Venus has to the following:

1. Health- Her disease basically makes it incredibly difficult for her to string too many matches together as she gets fatigued very fast.

2. Technical Flaws- Venus makes way too many unforced errors during a match. I've always believed that the difference between Serena and Venus is that Serena's game doesn't breakdown as often. Very difficult to win matches when you have 60+ unforced errors and double digit double faults.

3 . Stubbornness - Venus refuses to tweak her game. She is very one dimensional. Whereas Serena can beat you in multiple ways, Venus just hits the ball hard until she hits an error or a winner. Past success has made her stubborn.
Good points, I would agree with you.

She also had a back injury in 2013 too. Eek.

However, I think Venus does deserve some credit for her serving and movement on grass. Deadly at Wimbledon for sure.

Last edited:
Players party...

Crown+IMG+Tennis+Players+Party+prIBPdj0krjx.jpg

Crown+IMG+Tennis+Players+Party+biU-UUOrmZix.jpg

Li+Na+Crown+IMG+Tennis+Players+Party+TOt-OAx771px.jpg

Crown+IMG+Tennis+Players+Party+6lqyrrMoVQkx.jpg

Crown+IMG+Tennis+Players+Party+p2CY_BW9p20x.jpg

Crown+IMG+Tennis+Players+Party+8N0HwBH2uXax.jpg

Douche.

Crown+IMG+Tennis+Players+Party+s0MyVTbOrZ8x.jpg

I give Venus all the credit in the world for how devastating her game can be on grass or when she's on her game. I still believe if she didn't have her disease and cut her errors down to the 20-30 range she would contend at every major other than the French.

SP great pics as always. There was an article a few weeks ago about the built in ankle guard in Serena's shoes due to ankle problems derailing her Oz title hopes two straight years

And yeah, great news about Rafter & Hewitt playing dubs.  Came outta nowhere... no one expected it.  He's not even the oldest player in the draw too! :lol:  Daniel Nestor's a few months older. 

Some proper S&V with his old-school Prince Response. :nthat:

I've always been a serve and volley style of play. I remember when i was younger i played with the Price triple threat warrior and tried mimic the S&V. Often times as I move forward I would see a passing shot for a winner :lol: so that didn't last too long.

I'm normally asleep during the feature match of the day during the Aussie open :x

No I am not, why?

Tonight is my favorite night of the year. LOVE the opening rounds. Refuse to bet until the second round so think I thoroughly enjoy the 1st the most

Anyone else only bet tennis primarily? I've made a good amount of $ the past two years since I've followed/fell in love with tennis more

I've always been interested in betting in sports games.  How do you do it?

===================================================================

Today has some great matches on schedule.  Too bad I won't be able to watch any of them.

Nadal vs Tomic- Which Tomic will show up?  The one that beat Dolgopolov in a 5 set thriller a few years ago and pushed Djokovic to 4 sets at Wimbledon?  Or the one that tanked to Roddick and Daniel Evans in the last 2 US Opens?  I'm hoping it will be the first option.  Should be a very entertaining match regardless.  If Tomic is playing his A game, I can see him taking a set off Nadal.

Monfils vs Harrison- This is one of the easier opponents Harrison has had to face in the first round of a Slam in the last few years.  Harrison has a good forehand, but no backhand.  Monfils had a great run at his first tournament this year, so I think that will give him confidence and the victory.  

Seppi vs Hewitt- Hewitt's confidence is at his highest in a long time after his win over Federer, and Seppi hasn't won a match so far this year.  I'm pulling for Hewitt, and with the help of the Australian crowd who loves him, I think they can push him past the finish line.  After all, he is Australia's number 1 player and by far the most loved.

So apparently Adidas has retroed the Barricade V Classic White/Black! I still have my old pair in the closet. Neat to see it being resurrected.

Saw these for $99.95 on TW.

Bk/Silver/Green:

Last edited:
Got to factor in the heat this week..

Our heat is different to that in the northern hemisphere.. It's really hot out there on the courts

But these guys and girls are professionals so they gotta play in anything.

Was watching the Matosevic game.. Was doing good till the 5th set. Just faded away!! Another Aussie out of the tournament..

Thinking Hewitt will win, but as for Tomic, facing Nadal round 1, no chance. He will bring his game tonight and take a set, but that's it

^ Is it humid there?  That's the worst part, really.

Bernie vs Rafa now... and it seems like he tweaked his groin already. 

Sorry, but I just can't stand Bernie.  I know a lot of it had to do with his dad, but he's responsible as well. 

ALSO, Rafa's not wearing the LunarBallistecs... but instead, laser crimson CourtBallistec 4.3's!   Wow.

And as for Lleyton, I didn't like the guy early on his career cuz he was a bit arrogant, but as his career's progressed, I've gained a lot of respect for him as a fighter... especially with all his injuries.  

Last edited:
Welp, so much for Rafa vs Bernie.  Retires. 

So apparently Adidas has retroed the Barricade V Classic White/Black! I still have my old pair in the closet. Neat to see it being resurrected.

Saw these for $99.95 on TW.
Anyway, I've never worn these, but nice find.  

Nole's Barricade 7's.

m20328.jpg

m20329.jpg

Last edited:
^ Is it humid there?  That's the worst part, really.

Yep.. Breathing the hot air sucks.. And no breeze is a killer. Some players complained some dealt with it.

Heat policy 1 & 2 were implemented but not enough to cancel games. Next couple days gonna be hot too!!

Unlucky for Hewitt and yet another flop for Tomic even if injured.

Coming up to 20min till midnight and watching the end of the Mattek-Sands v Sharapova match.. Maria should finish off this game but Mattek-Sands has lifted this second set. Still 32 degrees Celcius outside. Gonna suck sleeping tonight

Last edited:
Sad that a couple of the ball kids passed out in the heat. I understand wanting to test players' fitness levels, but when ball kids are passing out, something probably needs to be done.

Roger not standing up for anything, not surprised. I agree with Nadal's statements about Roger a few years ago.

Camelia's story is so common on both tours

Been good so far. Pulling for Wawrinka, but I do think it'll be Djoker.....

Man, what I would do to go to Australia for this though. Easily my favorite Slam.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom