The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 US Open)

Believe it or not, Tomic is one of my favorite players on the men's side.  Yes, he can be arrogant at times, but I really do like his style of play (when he's trying, of course).

One of the things that amaze me is his serve.  His ball toss is so low, yet he can generate so much speed.  He also seems to generate pace effortlessly.  In his match against Nadal, he was whacking winners and it looked like he wasn't even trying.  

PIty that he had to retire though.  It would have been a hell of an entertaining match if both players were healthy.

He will be good, one day when he gets his head right. No doubt he'll make a grand slam final but don't know if he will make that next step to the elite level..

He's a lot like Philippoussis, had a good game but one step behind the top guys. Should of won at least one grand slam but never did.

^ Yeah, whether he really believes so or not, he's always been very neutral.  

Anyway... Day 2.

Grigor+Dimitrov+Australian+Open+Day+2+CG3OgpsaNcHx.jpg

These aren't the 9.5.

Does anyone know if these vapors 9's are available?

These aren't the 9.5.

Does anyone know if these vapors 9's are available?

Yes, I think you meant Vapor 9.5s? Anyways, they are in stock at TW since release. They also have the Lunar ballestics too.

EDIT: Apparently, I can't read. Had no idea Nike had the new color way on 9s. My fault.

Last edited:
I can't even imagine what those players are going through in that heat. Every year players are talking about the heat, but I feel like this year a lot more players are becoming more vocal.

Just read the following article. I find it interesting they give the ladies a 10 minute break.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Andy Murray said he feared someone could suffer a heart attack if Australian Open organisers insist on play going ahead in 42-degree temperatures in Melbourne, as they did on Tuesday.
It only takes one bad thing to happen. And it looks terrible for the whole sport

Murray spent only 1hr 27min on court as he beat Japan's Go Soeda 6-1, 6-1, 6-3 on a day when one player, Canada's Frank Dancevic, fainted after a set and a half of his match and another, Peng Shuai of China, vomited at the side of the court. A ball boy collapsed during another match and many ticketholders chose not to sit courtside because of the intensity of the heat.

The Wimbledon champion said the decision to allow play to go on had projected a "terrible" image of the sport. He expressed special concern about those players embroiled in five-set matches, or exposed to direct sunlight on the outside courts.

Murray said: "It's definitely something that you have to look at a bit. As much as it's easy to say the conditions are safe, it only takes one bad thing to happen. And it looks terrible for the whole sport when people are collapsing, ball kids are collapsing, people in the stands are collapsing. That's not great.
"I know when I went out to hit before the match, the conditions at 2.30, 3pm were very, very tough. Whether it's safe or not, I don't know. There's been some issues in other sports with players having heart attacks."

Murray, a logical man, dislikes it when officials seem to be making things up as they go along. But the Australian Open's "extreme heat policy" sounds like a fudge.
The guidelines allow Wayne McEwen, the tournament referee, to suspend play on the outer courts and close the roofs on the main arenas, when the Wet Bulb Globe Temperature - a composite figure that accounts for factors such as humidity and wind speed - reaches a certain level. But McEwen has declined to say what that temperature is.
A statement went out on Tuesday claiming that a "low level of humidity" had kept the conditions playable. Yet certain precautions were taken, including ice vests being sent to every court.

A 10-minute break was also allowed for female players who were required to play a deciding set.
This was another source of confusion for Murray. "I don't know why there's different rules [for men and women]," he said. "If there's a medical reason for it, then I'm fine with it. If there isn't, I'm not."

When the temperature climbs to 42 degrees, as it did about 5pm, plastic bottles start to bond with the courts and moths fall out of the sky, stone dead."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/...n-open-heat-20140115-30txd.html#ixzz2qRTz3Pdq

It says a lot when you have guys like Ferrer looking absolutely exhausted after a 4-set match. 

Ernie being Ernie.
gulbis.gif

What would really be funny if that racket bounced back to his grill. Let's see if he does that again:smh:

As far as the annoying discussion by the announcers about the heat, don't they realize that OZ has been held at the same time year after year during summer. Duh? Jeez, that's normal tennis weather here in South Texas.

Pat MceEnroe- summed it up last night on Tomic "dude (Tomic) shut up already, saying that you're still young, and you got time on your hands!" I guess Tomic doesn't realize his window is slowly closing. At least Hewitt is still grinding.

my useless 2 cents.

I really wonder what they're both pondering about or thinking.

Definitely doesn't look too positive haha.

Nike Lunar Ballistec in the White/Lt Crimson colorway are out now (I think someone wore these sample shoes cause they're creased).

Thoughts? I personally prefer these over what Rafa was wearing.

Scratch that. I forgot about Lisicki losing, Radwanska defending quarters points, and Li defending finals points. She might not move if she loses smh.

Last edited:
What a match!  Did anyone catch the Sharapova vs Knapp match? 

I was lucky enough to be able to catch the third set, and boy was it filled with Drama.

3 and a half hours in 120 on-court degree temperatures.  Absolutely insane. 

I once played tennis with a friend when the temperatures were 100 degrees outside.  After warming up, it was as if my feet were glued to the ground, every single step I took was a struggle, and I was laboring to breathe.  This was before we even started our match!  I do not even know how I managed to win.  I can only imagine these professionals fighting out there.  This is why I say tennis is the toughest sport in the entire world, having to play in conditions like this.

I do have to say, Maria is the toughest fighter out there.  Even if she is playing horribly, she will continue to fight and try every single point.  The women's equivalent of Nadal when it comes to grit and grind.  

There was a point in the third set, she couldn't hit a backhand to save her life.   On a crucial 30-30 point, she hits an inside out backhand on the line to set up break point, and then breaks the very next point.  Unbelieveable!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom