Was the NYPD justified in shooting this man dead? Family says "no." You be the judge....

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

His family's POV...

Angry family and friends of a Bronx fugitive gunned down by cops during a wild weekend car chase found a bizarre way to keep his memory alive — retracing the chase route tonight and creating a noisy traffic jam.

Orlando Santos’ relatives and pals packed into about 20 cars to creep fender-to-fender along Cypress Avenue in The Bronx, honking their horns and flashing their lights.

The line of cars eventually made their way to the local ramp for the Major Deegan Expressway, where Santos, a 28-year-old ex-con, was fatally shot by pursuing NYPD officers.

"My brother is a victim," Santos’ sister, Elizabeth, 36, told about 50 friends gathered in front of his Bronx apartment building tonight for a candlelight vigil.

"He was not a thug, he had no weapon on him, he had nowhere to go. They shot him 19 times. He left four children behind, who is going to look after his kids?"

Santos’s buddy, Onix Diaz, 22, was in the passenger seat of Santos’s Ford Expedition as Santos twice tried to mow down police officers and careened along Bronx highways and streets hitting cars and narrowly missing pedestrians in his bid to escape pursuing cops.

Diaz appeared at last night’s candlelight vigil and plunked down a half-pint of Hennessey cognac and a pack of Newport cigarettes in tribute to his dead pal.

"I ain’t saying nothing," Diaz snarled at reporters.

Santos’s cousin, Daniel Santiago, said of Diaz, "He’s scared to talk because he was held by the cops for 10 hours."

Cops have said they initially tried to stop Santos because of a broken headlight but that he took off, apparently scared because he was wanted on a warrant for skipping court in a previous bust.

Police shot at him 19 times, striking him five times in the head.

He had faced 25 years in jail for three drug busts last year. He had 14 prior arrests, for gun possession, assault, drug-dealing and auto theft. In 1999, he was sentenced to two years at Sing Sing after ramming two people with a stolen car.

But his family said he had been trying to turn his life around by driving a gypsy cab.

Last night, his mother, Elizabeth Santos, 50, was inconsolable as she cried in Spanish, "They killed my son! they killed my son!"

The family yesterday hired a lawyer, Charles Sabel, although it was not immediately clear if they planned to sue the NYPD.

Link

Give me a break....NYPD doesn't have the best rep, but you have WITNESSES saying this dude was not only trying to run folks off the road, but he tried to mow down police officers as well.  Sue for what? 

i'm usually very anti police but i had to put a few things from the family's response in bold because they made me laugh my @#$ off.

He's a victim and wasn't a thug but was facing a 25 year bid? Ok. I hate when families do that. Acknowledge he was a bad guy.

They were more than justified. He didn't only put their lives in danger but everyone else's in his vicinity. What would have happened had the pregnant woman gone into early labor or worse due to him striking the vehicle she was in? Good riddance.

Just because he has priors doesn't mean he was truly guilty though. We all know how the law gets down in NYC...dirty corrupt pigs.

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

He's a victim and wasn't a thug but was facing a 25 year bid? Ok. I hate when families do that. Acknowledge he was a bad guy.

They were more than justified. He didn't only put their lives in danger but everyone else's in his vicinity. What would have happened had the pregnant woman gone into early labor or worse due to him striking the vehicle she was in? Good riddance.

Just because he has priors doesn't mean he was truly guilty though. We all know how the law gets down in NYC...dirty corrupt pigs.

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-3.png
Take your emoticons somewhere else bro, my opinion is well rooted. Having a professional police force is not in the interests of the people at all. Do 'the knowledge' before you laugh it off. That 5%er preachin on the block that everybody thinks is crazy is RIGHT. 

moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-3.png
Take your emoticons somewhere else bro, my opinion is well rooted. Having a professional police force is not in the interests of the people at all. Do 'the knowledge' before you laugh it off. That 5%er preachin on the block that everybody thinks is crazy is RIGHT. 

Even if he wasn't guilty in those prior cases he still in that moment chose to put the lives of everyone around him danger and the police had to take him down. This is the true problem with police corruption; it makes it harder and harder for police to make these types of calls because every single person is going to be second guessing them.

Even if he wasn't guilty in those prior cases he still in that moment chose to put the lives of everyone around him danger and the police had to take him down. This is the true problem with police corruption; it makes it harder and harder for police to make these types of calls because every single person is going to be second guessing them.

the cops had every right to shoot if the man is trying to ram you or others with a car
yes they could of shot the tires or something but in the heat of the moment like that you dont think you just react

the cops had every right to shoot if the man is trying to ram you or others with a car
yes they could of shot the tires or something but in the heat of the moment like that you dont think you just react

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-3.png

The hell is this garbage? Just because he had priors doesn't mean he was guilty? Which of the FOURTEEN TIMES that he was arrested do you think he was innocent on? You should def leave the computer alone and join your 5%

moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-3.png

The hell is this garbage? Just because he had priors doesn't mean he was guilty? Which of the FOURTEEN TIMES that he was arrested do you think he was innocent on? You should def leave the computer alone and join your 5%

moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-3.png
There is a word for people like you. It is "pseudo-intellectual."

moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-3.png

Originally Posted by Smokey1212

moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-3.png

I don't care how many times he's guilty on paper when the archaic fundamental laws targeting blacks and hispanics placed that man in a bad position in the first place. Individuals comit actions largely based on their interaction with material nature. NO. I am not denying personal accountability/ But it's obvious that is NOT the full-story in NYC or in any situation for that matter. If you disagree with me your either disillusioned or reaping the benefits from a broken system.

roll.gif
roll.gif
GOOD JOB. You figured me out! I'm actually a self acknowledged pseudo-intellectual.
wink.gif

I have a question, what gives you the credibility to label anything 'pseudo'? I guess that makes you a 'pseudo-accusationalist'
happy.gif

and it became a race war....this thread is now officially complete...lock it up.
indifferent.gif

What gives you the right to declare? We're having a legitmate discussion in here. Just because you don't have a position to defend doesn't mean I don't.

moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-3.png

I don't care how many times he's guilty on paper when the archaic fundamental laws targeting blacks and hispanics placed that man in a bad position in the first place. Individuals comit actions largely based on their interaction with material nature. NO. I am not denying personal accountability/ But it's obvious that is NOT the full-story in NYC or in any situation for that matter. If you disagree with me your either disillusioned or reaping the benefits from a broken system.

roll.gif
roll.gif
GOOD JOB. You figured me out! I'm actually a self acknowledged pseudo-intellectual.
wink.gif

I have a question, what gives you the credibility to label anything 'pseudo'? I guess that makes you a 'pseudo-accusationalist'
happy.gif

and it became a race war....this thread is now officially complete...lock it up.
indifferent.gif

What gives you the right to declare? We're having a legitmate discussion in here. Just because you don't have a position to defend doesn't mean I don't.

moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-3.png

indifferent.gif

moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-3.png

indifferent.gif

I cant say he deserved to die by any means but according the story the police were justified in shooting him. 19 shots seems like a bit much to me but i guess you never really know unless you were there to witness everything.

I cant say he deserved to die by any means but according the story the police were justified in shooting him. 19 shots seems like a bit much to me but i guess you never really know unless you were there to witness everything.

Back
Top Bottom