Washington Wizards 2012-2013 Season Thread - Thanks for a great year!

Will the Washington Wizards make the playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is the Wizards thread, but since they share the same owner I thought that I should post this here.

A message from the owner

http://tedstake.monumentalnetwork.com/successful-but-short-of-ultimate-goal/index.jsp
Three decades ago the Caps started a run of 14-straight Stanley Cup playoff appearances. While we’re proud of that stretch of our history, we also recognize that the NHL was much smaller during that era, and it was a bit easier to make the playoffs when there were only 21 clubs in the league. Today the salary cap ensures that no team will have a “perfect” roster; we all must choose and navigate our own path to winning.
Wow
The Caps 116 road wins since 2007-08 rank tied for seventh in the league during that span
7th place is an accomplishment? 
Washington has advanced to the Eastern Conference semifinals in three of the last five seasons.
the second round?

I really hope that this 3rd pick in the upcoming draft is someone special. Because I dont know if management can do what it takes to win a championship.  

There's really nobody in this draft that is "special".

I'm hoping for Otto but I'm not expecting him to become a perennial all star.

Im hoping for Otto too

Im thinking the reports that the cavs might take him number one overall are just them blowing smoke after how we spited them by taking beal

I know they were high on him and wanted the wiz to pass badly

Wizards picked by ESPN insider as the lottery team with the best chance to make the playoffs next season :smokin

Playoff odds for five lottery teams

With a promising core, a second pick in the top 20, loads of cap space and the prospect of better health, Cleveland has a good shot to reach the playoffs and avoid the lottery this time next year -- but not the best of any team that was in New York. Who else might make the leap? Let's take a look at the five best candidates, along with their chances of doing so.

Washington Wizards (2:3 Odds)

Why they'll make the playoffs: When John Wall and Nene both started in 2012-13, the Wizards went 18-16.

Why they won't: Though Wall's injury was a fluke, Washington can't count on a full season from the injury-prone Nene.

The Wizards were thinking playoffs a year ago before Wall's patella injury ended those hopes. By the time he returned in January, Washington's season was ruined by a 5-28 start. The rest of the season, the Wizards went 25-24, and that slightly undersells their performance. They were 0.9 points per game better than league average with Wall when adjusted for schedule, a figure that would have put them fifth in the East.

So a Washington return to the playoffs was already looking likely before the Wizards moved up five places in the lottery themselves to the No. 3 pick, an ideal spot. Barring something unforeseen, Washington should be able to keep Georgetown forward Otto Porter playing at the Verizon Center. If Porter's improvement as a shooter last season holds up, he's a fine complement to Wall and Bradley Beal as part of a young perimeter trio as promising as any in the league. And Porter is as ready to contribute next season as anyone in the draft.

Cleveland Cavaliers (1:1 Odds)

Why they'll make the playoffs: If Kyrie Irving can stay healthy, he projects to be worth 11.7 wins above replacement, a figure that would have put him 10th in the league this season.

Why they won't: The Cavaliers must dramatically improve a defense that ranked 29th in the NBA.

The return of Mike Brown was a strong sign Cleveland is planning to win next season. While Brown's defensive reputation isn't as strong after his brief, unsuccessful stint with the Los Angeles Lakers, he should be able to help the Cavaliers out of the bottom five in the league. Despite Anderson Varejao's history of injury problems, he should be able to offer more than 25 games, and taking Nerlens Noel No. 1 overall would give Cleveland a credible rim protector when he returns from his ACL tear. If the team considers trading the No. 1 pick, that could further accelerate the rebuilding process.

At the other end of the floor, the Cavaliers are counting on the development of Irving and second-year shooting guard Dion Waiters. Power forward Tristan Thompson made huge strides during the second half of his sophomore campaign, and while Cleveland won't risk its 2014 cap space, it could use the money to import a rental at small forward to upgrade the one lineup spot without a young prospect.

Utah Jazz (11:9 Odds)

Why they'll make the playoffs: Utah wasn't eliminated until the final night of the regular season and had the best record and point differential (-0.1 ppg) of any lottery team.

Why they won't: With four starters hitting free agency, the Jazz could have a totally different look next season.

As the best team in the lottery, Utah is an obvious choice to return to the playoffs next season. First, Kevin O'Connor and Dennis Lindsey must navigate free agency. Four starters, including the post duo of Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap, are unrestricted free agents. That gives the Jazz the chance to revamp the roster through sign-and-trades or using cap space to sign another player. Expect one of Jefferson or Millsap to move on, clearing room for promising youngsters Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter to step into bigger roles with little drop off. The more pressing question for Utah is who runs the point. The Jazz could look for a long-term solution in the draft or restricted free agency.

Dallas Mavericks (3:2 Odds)

Why they'll make the playoffs: From January onward, the Mavericks were 2.2 points per game better than the average team, good for 10th in the league over the full season.

Why they won't: With just six players under contract, Dallas will have to start all over again this fall.

Like the Wizards, the Mavericks can blame an injury to their star for dashing their chances of a 13th consecutive playoff appearance. Even after Dirk Nowitzki returned from arthroscopic knee surgery, he wasn't himself until the calendar turned to 2013.

Thereafter, Dallas was competitive with the bottom half of the West playoff picture, but it was already too late to make a comeback. Just three veterans -- Nowitzki, Vince Carter and Shawn Marion -- are under contract for 2013-14, meaning the Mavericks' hopes depend entirely on what kind of free agents they can lure to Dallas with the promise of Nowitzki taking a pay cut next summer when his contract expires, freeing more space. That pitch wasn't enough to sell Deron Williams on playing in his hometown last summer, however.

Minnesota Timberwolves (7:3 Odds)

Why they'll make the playoffs: Minnesota lost the most games and minutes to injuries of any team in the past four seasons.

Why they won't: The Timberwolves have to negotiate the restricted free agency of center Nikola Pekovic.

While all of these teams -- save Utah -- can point to injuries as a factor in their disappointing seasons, nobody has a better case than the Timberwolves. Minnesota had historic bad luck with injuries, most notably to star Kevin Love, who missed 64 games due primarily to a broken bone in his hand suffered in the preseason. On average, teams that lose as many games to injury as the Timberwolves improve by 5-6 wins the following year simply thanks to improved health. That figure might be higher in this case because starters such as Love and Ricky Rubio (recovering from a torn ACL) spent so much time on the sideline. Add in upgraded shooting on the wings -- a focus in the draft -- and Minnesota will be in the playoff race as long as the team re-signs Pekovic, who will be a coveted restricted free agent.

^ its true and well he would be a good fit and would improve the team greatly but i feel he doesnt want to be part of this abysmal franchise

I don't know about that Karl never came across as good with young talent to me.... Would be good for Wall & beal tho but idk about the rest of the youngsters on the squad

How much of an upgrade (with this current team) is Karl over Wittman?

I know Karl has his history w/ Nene, but as I've said before, Wittman has at least earned the right to coach this team through the season. Guys have responded very well to his coaching.

How much of an upgrade (with this current team) is Karl over Wittman?

I know Karl has his history w/ Nene, but as I've said before, Wittman has at least earned the right to coach this team through the season. Guys have responded very well to his coaching.
Im not sure if 29 wins earns you a right to another year. especially when there are better coaching options out there.

Im not sure if 29 wins earns you a right to another year. especially when there are better coaching options out there.

He's got the backing of our most important players. They were key in making sure that he was the coach this past season. He's had his ups and downs, but for this year, I want Wittman coaching this squad. They've responded to him very well. If it's more of the same, fire him and explore other options.

We have a team that plays with effort and determination night after night. While we may not get the results that we want, there is no doubt that max effort is being given. Think of all the coaches we've had over the years where we look at the guys on the floor and question their level of compete. That's not the case with this current team or coaching staff.

Let's see what Wittman can do with a moderately healthy team this year.

The guy has only missed the playoffs twice in 25 years? You want to stick with a coach that is like 200 games under .500?
And he's one the most underachieving coaches during those 25 years and usually gets tossed after the first or 2nd round.

There's a reason he just became the first coach of the year to get canned afterwards.

Mark Jackson outcoached George Karl in the first round in an embarrassing fashion. 

Last edited:
And he's one the most underachieving coaches during those 25 years and usually gets tossed after the first or 2nd round.

There's a reason he just became the first coach of the year to get canned afterwards.

Mark Jackson outcoached George Karl in the first round in an embarrassing fashion. 
Underachieving??? I guess Jerry Sloan is underachieving as well. Besides his years in Seattle he never had great talent. The only reason why that team did not win a championsip was because of Michael Jordan.
Lol he was in the Playoffs tho... our coach was getting outoached in the preseason.

But did Mark Jackson really out coach him??? or did Stephen Curry just play out of his mind in the first round.

Also he somehow got the Nuggets to play better WITHOUT Carmelo Anthony. People always talk about the medicore late season Wizards run. Well Karl went 33-7 in the last 41 games of the season. 57 wins with the leagues 3 youngest roster! Remember we brought in all this veteran leadership, well our coach only got us 29 wins, and you want to stick with that?

This is the exact move the Wizards make all the time. Like in 2003 when we went after Eddie Jordan instead of Rick Carlisle.

He is one of the top 5 active coaches in the legue right now I would only put  1 Gregg Popovich, 2 Doc Rivers, 3 Tom Thibodeau ahead of him.

Ernie needs to go....Randy needs to good....His game management was terrible last year. Timeouts, lineups, and he pissed away a lot of those early wins in November/December. Granted he had a crappy roster to work with when Wall was out and Beal being a Rookie/Hurt.

I would like to see SVG or his brother walking the Sidelines. Stay away from Vinnie and other bums.

Ernie needs to go....Randy needs to good....His game management was terrible last year. Timeouts, lineups, and he pissed away a lot of those early wins in November/December. Granted he had a crappy roster to work with when Wall was out and Beal being a Rookie/Hurt.

I would like to see SVG or his brother walking the Sidelines. Stay away from Vinnie and other bums.
I could live with SVG of JVG, but to continue with Ernie and Randy is just crazy when you have quality coaches out there Jerry Sloan, George Karl, SVG, JVG. But to keep Randy a guy who has never won more than 32 games in a season is crazy!

Underachieving??? I guess Jerry Sloan is underachieving as well. Besides his years in Seattle he never had great talent. The only reason why that team did not win a championsip was because of Michael Jordan.

Lol he was in the Playoffs tho... our coach was getting outoached in the preseason.

But did Mark Jackson really out coach him??? or did Stephen Curry just play out of his mind in the first round.

Also he somehow got the Nuggets to play better WITHOUT Carmelo Anthony. People always talk about the medicore late season Wizards run. Well Karl went 33-7 in the last 41 games of the season. 57 wins with the leagues 3 youngest roster! Remember we brought in all this veteran leadership, well our coach only got us 29 wins, and you want to stick with that?

This is the exact move the Wizards make all the time. Like in 2003 when we went after Eddie Jordan instead of Rick Carlisle.

He is one of the top 5 active coaches in the legue right now I would only put  1 Gregg Popovich, 2 Doc Rivers, 3 Tom Thibodeau ahead of him.
You cannot be serious 
laugh.gif

Apparently you think teams should get some sort of award for merely reaching the playoffs.

I'll just quote CP from earlier
You want his .599 regular season winning percentage vs his .432 playoff percentage?

Or that he's been out in round 1 8 of the last 9 years.

Or how he's lost as a 1 seed (with HC obviously) a 3 seed, 4 seed, 5 seed, 7 seed, 8 seed, pick a seed, if he didn't make the playoffs, he'd still be out in round 1.

His 4 BEST playoff runs read like this, 10-6, 13-8, 10-8, and 10-9. Barely over .500 in even his best runs as a head coach, in almost 3 full decades.

80-105 in the postseason, having coached Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp, Ray Allen, Carmelo, + tons of other solid vets like Detlef, Nate McMillan, Ty Lawson, Billups, Iverson, etc etc.

Not multiple title worthy players, but certainly decent enough to make it to round 2 once in a while. Not once in a decade like he's been pacing himself.

Do you need more?

He's got the backing of our most important players. They were key in making sure that he was the coach this past season. He's had his ups and downs, but for this year, I want Wittman coaching this squad. They've responded to him very well. If it's more of the same, fire him and explore other options.

We have a team that plays with effort and determination night after night. While we may not get the results that we want, there is no doubt that max effort is being given. Think of all the coaches we've had over the years where we look at the guys on the floor and question their level of compete. That's not the case with this current team or coaching staff.

Let's see what Wittman can do with a moderately healthy team this year.
While we may not get the results that we want
I mean what else need be said??? you want to keep a guy who has a career record of 147-291?  Over a man who just won 57 games in the West??? You know the Wizards have not won more that 45 games since 1979! With the mindset to keep a coach with a .336 win percentage its not surprising that this team has not won 50 games in a season in almost 35 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom