Washington Wizards 2012-2013 Season Thread - Thanks for a great year!

Will the Washington Wizards make the playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You cannot be serious 
laugh.gif

Apparently you think teams should get some sort of award for merely reaching the playoffs.

I'll just quote CP from earlier
What is your solution? Keep a coach that wins on average 25 games a year?

What is your solution? Keep a coach that wins on average 25 games a year?
Or....how about actually putting together a roster thats capable of doing more first

You act like the coach can magically transform mediocre players into playoff caliber talent.

Last edited:
Bingo! A great coach would ensure players like Wall, Beal *Porter develop....and help attract quality free agents. Face it.....no great players want to come play for Randy or someone like that in DC.

Or....how about actually putting together a roster thats capable of doing more first

You act like the coach can magically transform mediocre players into playoff caliber talent.
You act like Denver had a ton of talent last year. He got that team to 57 wins without a single All-Star, and JAVALE MCGEE!

Tom Thibodeau and the Bulls fought through injuries all season Rose, Noah, Deng, Hinrich, but they never used the injury excuse like the Wizards do. And most of the Bulls roster is mediocre. So I do think coaching can make a difference

We cant put together a roster when you have a coach with a .336 win %. If you get a coach that is respected like a George Karl then players will come.  you are insane if you don't want a top five active coach, but apparently Ted is too. 

Also we still have the same GM, but you probably think we should keep him too.

You talk about Karl playoffs record, but his playoff win % is higher than Randy's overall win %. Also Randy has 147 wins all together, Karl has more that half of that with 80 in the playoffs alone! 

Ernie needs to go....Randy needs to good....His game management was terrible last year. Timeouts, lineups, and he pissed away a lot of those early wins in November/December. Granted he had a crappy roster to work with when Wall was out and Beal being a Rookie/Hurt.

I would like to see SVG or his brother walking the Sidelines. Stay away from Vinnie and other bums.
I could live with SVG of JVG, but to continue with Ernie and Randy is just crazy when you have quality coaches out there Jerry Sloan, George Karl, SVG, JVG. But to keep Randy a guy who has never won more than 32 games in a season is crazy!
This.  

Personally, I'd like to see them hire Nate MacMillan, Brian Shaw, or Lionel Hollins (assuming the Grizzlies let him go).  I'm not a big George Karl fan, but I'd still consider him an upgrade over Randy Wittman.  Randy's a serviceable assistant, but he is NOT the leader this franchise deserves.
Apparently you think teams should get some sort of award for merely reaching the playoffs.
I'm with you in spirit on this, but I think we can both agree that "merely reaching the playoffs" is better than what we're currently accustomed to.  

This is a franchise that printed up t-shirts for winning a FIRST ROUND SERIES.  

We need to raise expectations around here.  I don't think anyone considers Randy Wittman the gold standard for excellence.  As long as we can do better, we SHOULD do better.  There's nothing (save Ted's cheapness) that says we can't hire a GOOD coach now and replace him with an even BETTER coach in two or three years should the opportunity present itself.  

In our current state, we're never going to land a top 5 coach.  If you can get a top TEN coach today, you can build up to that point.  Settling for a minimum wage earner just because he currently has the support of players for the one of the worst teams in pro sports isn't my idea of raising the bar.  

There are many great coaches available but I honestly wouldn't be that disappointed if the Wizards didn't hire one of them. You can tell that Wittman is serious about the effort they give on the court and he shows it too. He knows he isn't a big name coach and that his tenure is not guaranteed in Washington so he has to give it his all and he holds the players to the same standard.

Let me ask yall...IF this team makes the playoffs next year with Wittman as the coach, would you be opposed to him staying on? I think he's on a one year deal....

This.  

Personally, I'd like to see them hire Nate MacMillan, Brian Shaw, or Lionel Hollins (assuming the Grizzlies let him go).  I'm not a big George Karl fan, but I'd still consider him an upgrade over Randy Wittman.  Randy's a serviceable assistant, but he is NOT the leader this franchise deserves.

I'm with you in spirit on this, but I think we can both agree that "merely reaching the playoffs" is better than what we're currently accustomed to.  

This is a franchise that printed up t-shirts for winning a FIRST ROUND SERIES.  

We need to raise expectations around here.  I don't think anyone considers Randy Wittman the gold standard for excellence.  As long as we can do better, we SHOULD do better.  There's nothing (save Ted's cheapness) that says we can't hire a GOOD coach now and replace him with an even BETTER coach in two or three years should the opportunity present itself.  

In our current state, we're never going to land a top 5 coach.  If you can get a top TEN coach today, you can build up to that point.  Settling for a minimum wage earner just because he currently has the support of players for the one of the worst teams in pro sports isn't my idea of raising the bar.  
  Settling for a minimum wage earner just because he currently has the support of players for the one of the worst teams in pro sports isn't my idea of raising the bar.
Agreed I mean the Bobcats fired their coach. Why are we still holding on to our coach after 3 years of the same thing??
I would take Brian Shaw no question.

I think the my main problem is that the  Wizards are not making any moves when it comes to coaching and management. It seems like they think they played in the Eastern Conference Finals this year. This front office is not working everybody can see that except Ted.

Let me ask yall...IF this team makes the playoffs next year with Wittman as the coach, would you be opposed to him staying on? I think he's on a one year deal....
If we can get a better coach then yes I want a better coach. We know Wittman's ceiling is not that high. 

If we can get a better coach then yes I want a better coach. We know Wittman's ceiling is not that high. 

Honestly if we make the playoffs with him i wouldnt be too upset if we held him for a bit longer

Unlike Vinny Del Negro where the media tries to paint him as a good coach, while the truth is that the addition of cp3 added those wins not his coaching

In this situation if we were to make the playoffs itd be obvious randys coaching had a positive impact

George Karl is not the answer and is FAR from a great coach. Randy is fine right now...the Wiz have already had an era of first round exits....raise your expectations

In this situation if we were to make the playoffs itd be obvious randys coaching had a positive impact
If the Wizards make the playoffs next year, I'd be more likely to credit the health of their core and the addition(s) they make through the draft.

George Karl is not the answer and is FAR from a great coach. Randy is fine right now...the Wiz have already had an era of first round exits....raise your expectations
3 or 4 years does not count as an era of first round exits...
.raise your expectations
WHAT!!!! you tell me to raise my expectations, but you say Randy is fine for the job? A guy who has never won more than 32 games in a season a win % of .336?

While Karl has only missed the playoffs twice in 25 years but he is not a great coach? If he didn't run into Jordan and the Bulls in 96 he probably would have a ring too

Thats 23 playoff appearances for Karl... The Wizards have 26 playoff appearances in their HISTORY! how is that not raising expectations?

This year he coached a team to 57 wins without a single all star. Name how many coaches have done that.... I'll wait.

Pop
Doc
Thibs
Vogel
Mark Jackson
that was very easy. Karl is on D'Antonis level. He's barely above .500 when he does get past the first round but more often than not he loses in the first round. I didn't say Randy was better I said Karl isn't the answer. I'm not really a wiz fan but I follow them pretty closely they already will make the playoffs with the current roster why bring in a coach who is proven to only get to the first round? That's idiotic

Pop
Doc
Thibs
Vogel
Mark Jackson
that was very easy. Karl is on D'Antonis level. He's barely above .500 when he does get past the first round but more often than not he loses in the first round. I didn't say Randy was better I said Karl isn't the answer. I'm not really a wiz fan but I follow them pretty closely they already will make the playoffs with the current roster why bring in a coach who is proven to only get to the first round? That's idiotic
I'm not a huge Karl fan but come on, D'Antoni? Mark Jackson though?? Not sure if srs.. Karl is a HOFer.

Karl had a lot of playoff disappointments, but he was also in the Western conference. I think it's safe to say that if he had been in the East over the past 10-15 years his playoff record would be better.

I'm personally for giving Wittman another year, but a team like the Wizards could do a lot worse than George Karl.

There are many great coaches available but I honestly wouldn't be that disappointed if the Wizards didn't hire one of them. You can tell that Wittman is serious about the effort they give on the court and he shows it too. He knows he isn't a big name coach and that his tenure is not guaranteed in Washington so he has to give it his all and he holds the players to the same standard.
Agreed, what I like most about Wittman is his attitude. He knows his reputation is on the line since he's still trying to prove himself as a coach in this league, and that same scrappy "underdog" mentality gets translated to the players. He really focuses on defense and the little elements of the game, he doesn't let guys cut corners. All the players pick up on his personality and they love him.

As a contrast look at what happened when Flip coached the team. You have a guy coming in with a reputation of going to conference finals, etc. He left what was at the time a well-run Pistons organization with veteran players to a franchise that was struggling. And I think, Flip had a certain apathy about the job and didn't seem 100% committed to developing a winning culture, and it translated to the way the players competed on the court.

That's why I'm for keeping Wittman instead of pursuing someone like Karl. Even though Karl is a great coach, you don't know how he'll respond once he really starts seeing how dysfunctional the Wizards organization is compared to what he's used to.

Last edited:
And Mark Jackson TODAY is better than Karl TODAY. He said active. I'd take Holllins over him as well most likely spo too. He is not that great. Randy isn't good but why panic now without seeig what Randy will do with this roster

This year he coached a team to 57 wins without a single all star. Name how many coaches have done that.... I'll wait.
laugh.gif

You act like Denver wasn't being mentioned as a top 4 seed before the season started.

The book on Denver was that without a superstar...they were still deep. They finished were people expected them to...and then loss to a team they should have beaten in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Anyone else hear this awful rumor about the Wizards trading the third pick for Ersan Ilyasova?!

Why not just trade John Wall for Monta Ellis while we're at it?  I'd love to just write this off as hopeless fantasizing on the part of Bucks fans, but with Ernie's track record, none of us can breathe easy.  

For the record, I wouldn't even want Ilyasova for Trevor Ariza straight up.  There's a reason Milwaukee wants to shed his contract, and I'd much prefer they do so at someone else's expense. 

Anyone else hear this awful rumor about the Wizards trading the third pick for Ersan Ilyasova?!

Why not just trade John Wall for Monta Ellis while we're at it?  I'd love to just write this off as hopeless fantasizing on the part of Bucks fans, but with Ernie's track record, none of us can breathe easy.  

For the record, I wouldn't even want Ilyasova for Trevor Ariza straight up.  There's a reason Milwaukee wants to shed his contract, and I'd much prefer they do so at someone else's expense. 

Thats all it is

I recently heard a BS rumor some cav fan made up saying kings are willing to trade isiah thomas for the 19th selection

Thats so onesided its not even funny, even from a cap stand point dude barely makes a million if im correct

Fans of certain teams will always fantasize

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom