Controversy at my school vol. Blackface

[h1]Letter sent to school newspaper by African-American student
[/h1][h1]Letter: Blackface displays lack of racial respect at NU[/h1]
Print this article
Share this article

Published: Monday, November 2, 2009

Updated: Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Northwestern community: It is time we realize the significance of our actions. It is time every person becomes conscious of the effects his or her behavior has on an entire community of people. I am writing about the incessant and continuous racialized demonstrations of authority and dominance presented by the entire NU community and our society at large.

The most recent incident, the cause for this letter, was on the night of Oct. 31, Halloween, when certain white members of the NU community dressed up as black people. In an attempt to resemble a black person, someone painted his entire body black.

If you do not know the history of these actions, all you need to know is one word to understand the disgusting behavior this person embodied - that word is blackface. Blackface has, surprisingly enough, been on this campus before. Two years ago, a very similar incident occurred, pointing to the lack of insight of the people in the NU community to make a conscious movement toward combating race problems.

In our modern era, the history of blackface continuously goes unnoticed and unchallenged, and I am taking this opportunity to bring it to light. It extends back to the roots of slavery when white actors would paint their faces black and lips red or white during minstrel shows to mock the physical appearance African Americans. The fact that blackface is still being used points to the lack of character of not only those that took part in the despicable behavior. It also points to those around them for their lack of agency, individuality and character to stand up against this person and tell them to remove his black paint.

We as a community must take the responsibility to defy the oppressive nature of our past if we are ever to move past notions of race. This act was not merely an act of discrimination or even racism; it highlights the severe need of a society to face demons of its past AND present to make a new journey.

Images like these not only serve to dehumanize all members of the black community at NU and abroad, but it points to the lack of respect for one's peers and illuminates a mentality held by a multitude of people at NU. The humor attempted by the situation is merely a facetious attempt to mask the underlying notions of race and packages the disgusting behavior into a loathing, satirical state of mind, exploiting the lack of a black student body on this campus while using the advantages privilege has given certain communities on campus.

The incident shows this person lacks the conviction and grounding to recognize there are other people at this University, and he also feels comfortable enough - meaning, more specifically, there would be no repercussions or consequences for his actions - to walk around and mock an entire population of people within the very closed, ignorant, arrogant, privileged world that NU seems to give to its community.

We must realize everything we do is a statement. Everyone in this community must recognize the inexcusable actions of our peers. Everyone must realize these acts cannot be dissociated from an oppressive, racist American past or from the seemingly benign racial state we live in. It is all connected.

We shouldn't forget a student last academic year felt the effects of (alleged) racial profiling by the NU Police Department; more importantly, that was this year, the year 2009. We shouldn't forget the fact that there have been many other unnoticed incidents of racial discrimination on this campus with not only black men, but also with black women, and Hispanic, Asian, Jewish, and Muslim peoples as well.

Everyone must take a collective stand, as progressions can't be made if we're separate forever.

-
Weinberg sophomore
Political action committee co-head
and graduate & alumni liaison, For Members Only
Member, Coalition of Colors

Members of the Northwestern community,

You are probably aware of the incident that took place this past weekend. While I fully support the principles of free expression, at the same time I am deeply disappointed to see any example of insensitivity that demeans a segment of our community. It is my hope that we can use this incident as a catalyst to reflect upon the values of inclusiveness and respect for others that are central to Northwestern's mission. Therefore I invite you to join me at a forum at Norris at 6 pm Thursday, Nov. 5, organized by ASG, the Coalition of Colors, and Student Affairs (an announcement from those groups follows).

I strongly encourage everyone -- students, faculty and staff -- to join me in attending this meeting. I realize that we are all busy and that many of us have prior commitments at that time. But to make this meeting really valuable, we need to have a range of perspectives represented in the room, and to make it a safe space for honest dialogue and reflection. I have cleared my calendar and I hope you will as well.

[color= rgb(153, 0, 204)]Morton Schapiro[/color]
[color= rgb(153, 0, 204)]Professor and President[/color]

A message from ASG: A public forum focusing on the issue of blackface - 6PM THURSDAY in Louis Room South (Norris)

Stemming from the recent blackface incident on Halloween, concerned students, staff, and administrators thought it would be important to setup a public forum/discussion on the issue of blackface at Northwestern. Obviously the issue of blackface is a very sensitive subject from every perspective, so the focus of this forum will not be to bash one group or the other and cause more disagreement. Instead, the discussion will focus on the history of blackface, education of the negative connotation of blackface, and most importantly, what action the Northwestern community can take to prevent incidents of this nature from happening again.

Cliffnotes:

Couple of white guys dress up for Halloween in blackface

Pics seen on Facebook or guys seen at party

Student sends letter to school paper demanding action against this

School president initiates a forum on Thursday

Topic is buzzing around school.

Also, last year there was an incident of racial profiling (against an African-American) last year at the business school

that initiated an action committee and a lot of response.

What do you guys think? I am not black so I can't say I have a legitimateopinion on this. Right now, I don't see what the fuss is about. More info to come I guess. Racial profiling I completely abhor but this seems like anoverreaction.

What?
They taking ACTION you say?????

eek.gif
pimp.gif

i never understand the 'fun' in dressing up as a black person...or any race for that matter...

even if it was in good humor i still find it racist.like Tropic Thunder, it was hilarious but racist nonetheless

2 of my non-white friends (one black, one dark indian) dressed up in white face/dress for one Halloween. People didn't see that as being offensive, but Isuppose it isn't the same
ohwell.gif
black people can't be racist.

I don't know why the school should take action for students outside of school doing something.

If anything the letters should be sent to the mayor of the city and governor. Then call Al Sharpton to exploit the whole situation and "take blacks back acouple hundred years" as ppl like to say.

Right now, I don't see what the fuss is about

Blackface is theatrical makeup used by white people to play black people. In the United States, where the practice became popular during the 19th century, it became associated with certain archetypes of American racism such as the "happy-go-lucky darky on the plantation" or the "dandified %#%% ".[sup][1][/sup] Hence Blackface has become associated with racism, particularly in the USA, so that the term may be used in a broader sense to include similarly stereotyped performances even when they do not involve blackface makeup.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

Again I think this is just a personal thing. Even though a lot of people aren't offended by it, a lot of people still are, and we have to takethat into account.

That being said, I have 5 close friends and we call ourselves family and just about every race is represented within us and we have no limits in terms ofhaving to be politically correct and its a great feeling. We make fun of each other all the time, but no one gets offended because to us, race isn't evenan issue. We know it's an issue everywhere else but within our family it's not. I think it shows a lot of progression in terms of society that thereare groups of people out there who don't see race as any more of a difference than hair or eye color would be.

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

Right now, I don't see what the fuss is about

Blackface is theatrical makeup used by white people to play black people. In the United States, where the practice became popular during the 19th century, it became associated with certain archetypes of American racism such as the "happy-go-lucky darky on the plantation" or the "dandified %#%% ".[sup][1][/sup] Hence Blackface has become associated with racism, particularly in the USA, so that the term may be used in a broader sense to include similarly stereotyped performances even when they do not involve blackface makeup.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

I admire your will to curb the ignorance but we see this every single year and the same argument ensues. #+*$ is pointless.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

2 of my non-white friends (one black, one dark indian) dressed up in white face/dress for one Halloween. People didn't see that as being offensive, but I suppose it isn't the same
ohwell.gif
are you white cause many white people do not know the history of blackface?

black face has a historic past that is associated with racism and stereotypes

what face not so much

also black people can be racist but that is besides the point

One of the youtube comments
This isn't racist in any way, I'm white, if this had white stereotypes in it, i wouldn't care. what about the film, "white men can't jump" Can you imagine if the movie had the title was "Black men can't swim"? they're would be uproar

roll.gif

Originally Posted by the north west

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

2 of my non-white friends (one black, one dark indian) dressed up in white face/dress for one Halloween. People didn't see that as being offensive, but I suppose it isn't the same
ohwell.gif
are you white cause many white people do not know the history of blackface?

black face has a historic past that is associated with racism and stereotypes

what face not so much

also black people can be racist but that is besides the point
I know the history of blackface.......i just wanted to point out that a black person with white face on, dressed up like urkel, speaking in a"white" accent is also racist/ offensive to some. Just something I wanted to point out, take it for what you will.

People shouldn't dress as other ethnic groups to begin with. You don't get a pass because its Halloween. I'm against PC but sometimes you have todraw a line.

sensitive matter, but black people are racist too, so whats the point, im mexican and i know stereotypes are not a good thing, racism its one of the worstthings in this world no matter where does it come from. its not like someone racist would dress like a charro, believe me, they wouldnt.

Back
Top Bottom