Finally a licensed pharmacist!

Originally Posted by heavenlee777

pimp.gif

Just in case you guys don't know, UCSF is the BEST Pharm school in the nation.
http://grad-schools.usnew...chools/pharmacy-rankings
Congrats
pimp.gif

I want to be a pharmacist too! So far all the Chem/Bio classes have been oddly fun, so I hope this is a good sign lol.
DC Sound, you should definitely do it, it's never too late, especially if it is your passion!
While you might go to school for like 4-5 more years, in the end, would you rather work 30 years as an Accountant? Or a Pharmacist?
You should choose whatever makes you happier, because either way it seems like you're set for the future haha.

Sorry, I know a lot of people are asking questions, but how was Pharm school?
I've heard some people say its really hard, but I also heard other people say how it is so easy that it's boring.
Do you also know anything that makes you stand out? At my school like more than half the kids I talked to are aspiring pharmacists haha
Also, what made you choose Pharmacy over Medical School? Because the pre-reqs are almost identical.

Once again...
pimp.gif
pharm school was dope b/c 
1) i lived in SF. While it may not the be ideal place for me to settle down, it was a great place to explore and party. You litterally always had things to do in SF. And I really only studied 2 days before tests, so there were always a lot of down time in b/t midterms 
roll.gif

2) The difficulty of the curriculum is all up to you. If you relatively keep up with things, u should be fine. When you get into grad shools, their purpose is to graduate you, not fail you. Failing students would only make the school look bad. The first 2 years at UCSF school-wise were relatively boring b/c it was primarily just review. Then you get into the gritty nitty stuff the last 2 years + rotations and that was when it got kinda stimulating

3) eh i didn't do much except joining an organization that helped the underserved in SF. and obviously VSA to meet the chicks 
smokin.gif

4) I actually took the MCAT and scored a 32. I definitely had med school in mind, but I really had to take care of my mom. She's turning 57 and there was no way I would let her work another 4-5 years while I was making chump change doing residency, and working 70+hr/week. If I didn't have family obligations, I would have most likely gone the medical school route. But I don't regret my decision. 

gl with whatever u choose. as long as u guys maintain ur focus, u'll get that money eventually.

Originally Posted by heavenlee777

pimp.gif

Just in case you guys don't know, UCSF is the BEST Pharm school in the nation.
http://grad-schools.usnew...chools/pharmacy-rankings
Congrats
pimp.gif

I want to be a pharmacist too! So far all the Chem/Bio classes have been oddly fun, so I hope this is a good sign lol.
DC Sound, you should definitely do it, it's never too late, especially if it is your passion!
While you might go to school for like 4-5 more years, in the end, would you rather work 30 years as an Accountant? Or a Pharmacist?
You should choose whatever makes you happier, because either way it seems like you're set for the future haha.

Sorry, I know a lot of people are asking questions, but how was Pharm school?
I've heard some people say its really hard, but I also heard other people say how it is so easy that it's boring.
Do you also know anything that makes you stand out? At my school like more than half the kids I talked to are aspiring pharmacists haha
Also, what made you choose Pharmacy over Medical School? Because the pre-reqs are almost identical.

Once again...
pimp.gif
pharm school was dope b/c 
1) i lived in SF. While it may not the be ideal place for me to settle down, it was a great place to explore and party. You litterally always had things to do in SF. And I really only studied 2 days before tests, so there were always a lot of down time in b/t midterms 
roll.gif

2) The difficulty of the curriculum is all up to you. If you relatively keep up with things, u should be fine. When you get into grad shools, their purpose is to graduate you, not fail you. Failing students would only make the school look bad. The first 2 years at UCSF school-wise were relatively boring b/c it was primarily just review. Then you get into the gritty nitty stuff the last 2 years + rotations and that was when it got kinda stimulating

3) eh i didn't do much except joining an organization that helped the underserved in SF. and obviously VSA to meet the chicks 
smokin.gif

4) I actually took the MCAT and scored a 32. I definitely had med school in mind, but I really had to take care of my mom. She's turning 57 and there was no way I would let her work another 4-5 years while I was making chump change doing residency, and working 70+hr/week. If I didn't have family obligations, I would have most likely gone the medical school route. But I don't regret my decision. 

gl with whatever u choose. as long as u guys maintain ur focus, u'll get that money eventually.

First off, congrats. I can't even imagine the feeling of being able to buy your moms a new home. Must be 
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Pharmacist has always been my dream job (since the day i found out i wouldn't be playing in the NBA). I don't know if you answered this or not, but what did you major in? Between biochem and chemistry, which one would be more beneficial to get into pharmacy school?

First off, congrats. I can't even imagine the feeling of being able to buy your moms a new home. Must be 
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Pharmacist has always been my dream job (since the day i found out i wouldn't be playing in the NBA). I don't know if you answered this or not, but what did you major in? Between biochem and chemistry, which one would be more beneficial to get into pharmacy school?

Originally Posted by DC SOUNDS

i always wanted to become a pharmacist. back in college, i made the immature decision to do my undergrad in business administration/accounting because i didn't have the patience for 6 to 8 years of school. I sometimes regret it now. I ended up graduating, working for a Big 4 public accounting firm as an auditor, and got my CPA license. I'm 26 years old now and thinking about doing a total 180, and switching careers and pursuing my original dream. Thinking rationally, I would end up doing at least another 4 yrs of school, acquire a couple hundred grand of debt, and be at least 30 years old when its all said and done, it would be a lot easier to just stick around as a CPA in the field of financial reporting as I am now. I don't love accounting though, I see a lot of pharmacists who really see their career as something meaningful at he end of the day.....NT...anyone jump into pharmacy this late in the game, what do you guys think?

fambs... i'm WITH YOU 100%...

i'm finna be 22 in august... getting ready to get my marketing degree in august...

and going to knock out my MBA afterwards (got a scholly to play at a school for my last year of basketball, so i figure, why not gone ahead and get it)

but i'm SERIOUSLY thinking about applying for a pharmecy school as soon as i finish my MBA up...

might take me 6 years to get it...

but i'll have an MBA and pharmacy degree by the time i'm 30...

what yall think??

pharmaceuticals was my DREAM job field comin up... and switched cuz i didnt think i was good enough...

frown.gif
frown.gif

i always wanted to become a pharmacist. back in college, i made the immature decision to do my undergrad in business administration/accounting because i didn't have the patience for 6 to 8 years of school. I sometimes regret it now. I ended up graduating, working for a Big 4 public accounting firm as an auditor, and got my CPA license. I'm 26 years old now and thinking about doing a total 180, and switching careers and pursuing my original dream. Thinking rationally, I would end up doing at least another 4 yrs of school, acquire a couple hundred grand of debt, and be at least 30 years old when its all said and done, it would be a lot easier to just stick around as a CPA in the field of financial reporting as I am now. I don't love accounting though, I see a lot of pharmacists who really see their career as something meaningful at he end of the day.....NT...anyone jump into pharmacy this late in the game, what do you guys think?

i'm finna be 22 in august... getting ready to get my marketing degree in august...

and going to knock out my MBA afterwards (got a scholly to play at a school for my last year of basketball, so i figure, why not gone ahead and get it)

but i'm SERIOUSLY thinking about applying for a pharmecy school as soon as i finish my MBA up...

what yall think??

pharmaceuticals was my DREAM job field comin up... and switched cuz i didnt think i was good enough...

frown.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Regal Black

Originally Posted by Checks McGee

u starting at 127k/yr?!?! info on how to be pharmacist??
he's in Cali though.  I think it varies b/w states
it does. but cali isn't anywhere close to places like wisconsin/arkansas/alaska or remote places like that. i think in alaska, u can make more than $200k/yr 
roll.gif

At SFGH, a hospital in SF that serves the underserved, the pharmacists there make $70/hr 
eek.gif
. And i'm only making $61.40 
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Regal Black

Originally Posted by Checks McGee

u starting at 127k/yr?!?! info on how to be pharmacist??
he's in Cali though.  I think it varies b/w states
it does. but cali isn't anywhere close to places like wisconsin/arkansas/alaska or remote places like that. i think in alaska, u can make more than $200k/yr 
roll.gif

At SFGH, a hospital in SF that serves the underserved, the pharmacists there make $70/hr 
eek.gif
. And i'm only making $61.40 
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by ricky409

what yall think??

frown.gif
frown.gif

A lot of schools nowadays have PharmD/MBA duel degree programs...

Originally Posted by ricky409

what yall think??

frown.gif
frown.gif

A lot of schools nowadays have PharmD/MBA duel degree programs...

congrats OP, im currently a 4th year pharmd student so your post gave me a good morale boost.  Im an intern at CVS too so im curious, hows the job market out in cali, I always dreamed about moving to the west coast once I graduated.

congrats OP, im currently a 4th year pharmd student so your post gave me a good morale boost.  Im an intern at CVS too so im curious, hows the job market out in cali, I always dreamed about moving to the west coast once I graduated.

I hate to be Debbie Downer but take a look at this article: http://www.ajpe.org/view....rt=aj7410185&pdf=yes

Sad truth is that with a ton of new schools coming up, centralized pharmacy around the corner (Wags is currently testing it somewhere down south, so I can see it being implemented in retail within the next 20 years), the economy being stagnant, and chain pharmacies doing everything they can to pinch pennies you will have a hard time getting that "raise" every year. I've been doing it a few years and I'm happy to take an annual inflation raise every year just so I'm not making less money than the previous year.

Anyhow congrats! Get those loans paid off ASAP and you should be in good shape.

I hate to be Debbie Downer but take a look at this article: http://www.ajpe.org/view....rt=aj7410185&pdf=yes

Sad truth is that with a ton of new schools coming up, centralized pharmacy around the corner (Wags is currently testing it somewhere down south, so I can see it being implemented in retail within the next 20 years), the economy being stagnant, and chain pharmacies doing everything they can to pinch pennies you will have a hard time getting that "raise" every year. I've been doing it a few years and I'm happy to take an annual inflation raise every year just so I'm not making less money than the previous year.

Anyhow congrats! Get those loans paid off ASAP and you should be in good shape.

Originally Posted by moneymike88

Originally Posted by djuzi05

Originally Posted by moneymike88

If thats really all they do then I could have done that with a middle school diploma

SMH you're an idiot.

Congrats OP. Currently in my 2nd year of Med School and I despise pharmacology
laugh.gif
so much, much props to you.
word, call me a name instead of giving an explanation...thank you also for posting that you're in med school since so many people were asking

Oh, wait.

Oh wait, you don't know how to google info yourself with your middle school diploma? Agreed, pretty DB comment.

Back
Top Bottom