H&M is under fire for racist hoodie

I'm willing to bet there's more soccer fans in Africa than Europe but yeah I feel you. Agree to disagree.

this is interesting tho if more fans are in africa and this ad runs in africa

not to say it will benefit the company financially per se, but would white supremacy benefit from a negative portrayal of a black man plastered everywhere?

so now its a white "dude", a regular upstanding citizen right? not a "bum"?

and not that there werent witnesses either to say what heppened on the train right?
Police would prob still side with a white bum over a person of color.

I'm a black man and I don't see what the issue with the beastmode name or the predator ad. Context matters. These are sports ads that resonate with peoples animal instinct. Being a beast or predator in your sport can be a good thing. I think some of you guys are just sensitive.

Maybe its me though. I hate when I see other black people play the race card or blame things on racism when that's not the case. It makes it so the real racism doesn't stand out. It makes the real racism easier to ignore in the white noise of people calling everything racist.
Lol @ real racism. Cool man. We can agree to disagree

this is interesting tho if more fans are in africa and this ad runs in africa

not to say it will benefit the company financially per se, but would white supremacy benefit from a negative portrayal of a black man plastered everywhere?

Maybe. Also might just motivate more young black kids playing with their friends to put in work and get in the league.

A devout black Muslim with an African mother is the best paid player in the world and one of the faces of soccer worldwide. I feel like majority of people seeing it purely as a negative portrayal are black Americans which kinda shows how we're conditioned here. **** crazy.

Lol @ real racism. Cool man. We can agree to disagree

Maybe it was poorly worked. I differentiate between "racism" like the predator ad or the Deroy Planet of the Apes situation where I think it takes a fair about of mental gymnastics to find the racism and the "real racism." The type of stuff that keeps minorities from getting jobs, or loans or gets black people killed in the streets.

Last edited:
I'm a black man and I don't see what the issue with the beastmode name or the predator ad. Context matters. These are sports ads that resonate with peoples animal instinct. Being a beast or predator in your sport can be a good thing. I think some of you guys are just sensitive.

Maybe its me though. I hate when I see other black people play the race card or blame things on racism when that's not the case. It makes it so the real racism doesn't stand out. It makes the real racism easier to ignore in the white noise of people calling everything racist.

Let me see that racism qualification checklist you using...

Maybe it was poorly worked. I differentiate between "racism" like the predator ad or the Deroy Planet of the Apes situate where I think it takes a fair about of mental gymnastics to find the racism and the "real racism." The type of stuff that keeps minorities from getting jobs, or loans or gets black people killed in the streets.
It is all connected though.

That's exactly why I said the ad is iffy. I got it immediately having seen the predator ads over time and knowing who that is, but the conditioning to make people automatically see that image and think in that way, or to automatically assume people think that way is too real.
This is fair. I didn’t look at it this way.

Maybe. Also might just motivate more young black kids playing with their friends to put in work and get in the league.

A devout black Muslim with an African mother is the best paid player in the world and one of the faces of soccer worldwide. I feel like majority of people seeing it purely as a negative portrayal are black Americans which kinda shows how we're conditioned here. **** crazy.

it could be all what you said, highest paid muslim player, african mother, height of his sport

and yet still in the machine of WS he can be used to purport certain messages

he probably is looked at as role model to young children

all the more reason to make murky the image of this guy and portray even the greatest of us as savages or beasts or predators

Let me see that racism qualification checklist you using...

I know what you're talking about and it's hard for me to explain. My threshold for outrage is higher than someone elses and lower than others. Ask certain white people, unless they explicitly say the n-word or are part of the KKK, they're not racist. There's no gray area with some people. Of course I acknowledge racism and white supremacy are prevalent in America and must be fought, I just think something like this adidas ad is a reach.

it could be all what you said, highest paid muslim player, african mother, height of his sport

and yet still in the machine of WS he can be used to purport certain messages

he probably is looked at as role model to young children

all the more reason to make murky the image of this guy and portray even the greatest of us as savages or beasts or predators

I mean you're right but I don't see this as muddying his image. Dude is a legit monster onfield lol I think it was the whole point to make him look menacing.

He's in that big-ish ad with a bunch of Adidas stars that came out last year and it's not some weirdo supremacy pushing thing. Most of the stuff I see him in is normal advertising that you'd see most big athletes doing now. This was just for a particular line of boots and it rubbed some people the wrong way. That's just my opinion though I completely respect how you feeling about it.

We just have wildly different perceptions of this particular ad. White supremacy tricky though this could EASILY be used the way you're saying. That's why I said it's iffy from the jump.

Why do you feel there is a finite number of complaints an oppressed roup is "allowed" to make?

I know what you're talking about and it's hard for me to explain. My threshold for outrage is higher than someone elses and lower than others. Ask certain white people, unless they explicitly say the n-word or are part of the KKK, they're not racist. There's no gray area with some people. Of course I acknowledge racism and white supremacy are prevalent in America and must be fought, I just think something like this adidas ad is a reach.
It is a REAC to simply have a conversation about the perception of the black man's inage and how it is portrayed through marketing?

It is a REAC to simply have a conversation about the perception of the black man's inage and how it is portrayed through marketing?

Of course not. Angela Rye calling it "devastating" and racist before doing a lick of research or having any context is an issue; no need to jump to conclusions.

Bape_model__10965_-2_ed9d3af0-d9ad-40cd-8704-6d02301088c8_1024x1024.jpg

Is BAPE racist? It's an ad featuring a black man wearing a shirt white a primate, it even says Ape on the shirt. Not trolling, just want to see where y'all draw the line

If it’s an advertisement, some googling shouldn’t be required to recognize that the ad isn’t making a racist statement.

Any advertising firm should value the first thought that comes to any consumers mind when they look at the ad.

One thing is for sure, perspective and bias are going a long way in preventing us from bridging the gap in this discussion.

Bape_model__10965_-2_ed9d3af0-d9ad-40cd-8704-6d02301088c8_1024x1024.jpg

Is BAPE racist? It's an ad featuring a black man wearing a shirt white a primate, it even says Ape on the shirt. Not trolling, just want to see where y'all draw the line

“by bathing ape”

stop reaching

even if it was just bathing ape, thats the premise of the entire brand vs. some random one off hoodie

and the hoodie isnt even the issue, its moreso about the shortsightedness or lack of regard for black opinion for that hoodie to be modeled on that child

a white kid wears the hoodie instead and its a non issue but this speaks more to them not having diversity in their decision making process

so many people from the cameraman, stylist, makeup artist and whoever else from H&m was there making sure the shoot went smooth saw that boy in that hoodie and just went on doing them

put your arms down young man

Back
Top Bottom