Niketalk, what's your age limit of being too old to live at home with moms?

Originally Posted by acidicality

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

Originally Posted by heLiumcLinton

If you attend college then after your degree.

There is absolutely no reason at all why you should be living with your parents after that.

If you don't go to college than probably 21. 

If you just get out of college how the hell are you suppose to move out? with what money? what if you have student loans?
laugh.gif

Yeah, just instantly get a job 5 minutes after they hand you your degree. 

Is that what you think I'm saying?
If you didn't have a job lined up before you graduated you either are lazy or have a terrible degree.  Maybe you just want to take some time off, but then you can't use the no money excuse.

I 100% disagree with you on that...I graduted this year; I went to a very good college (UCSD), with a very good engineering major, and some of my friends with excellent GPAs (I'm talking 3.7+ in engineering) don't have a job yet because they don't have connections. We've all been looking for jobs since the start of the year or even before.
 That may have been true 5 years ago, but the job market nowadays simply doesn't have enough job openings to accomodate the number of new graduates right away. That's a horrible misjudgment IMO.
This is frankly laughable. 3.7+ in engineering from a reputable school and no job. They have no one to blame but themselves. What the hell happened?! 

There is absolutely no reason at all why you should be living with your parents after that.

If you just get out of college how the hell are you suppose to move out? with what money? what if you have student loans?
laugh.gif

If you didn't have a job lined up before you graduated you either are lazy or have a terrible degree.  Maybe you just want to take some time off, but then you can't use the no money excuse.

I 100% disagree with you on that...I graduted this year; I went to a very good college (UCSD), with a very good engineering major, and some of my friends with excellent GPAs (I'm talking 3.7+ in engineering) don't have a job yet because they don't have connections. We've all been looking for jobs since the start of the year or even before.
 That may have been true 5 years ago, but the job market nowadays simply doesn't have enough job openings to accomodate the number of new graduates right away. That's a horrible misjudgment IMO.
This is frankly laughable. 3.7+ in engineering from a reputable school and no job. They have no one to blame but themselves. What the hell happened?! 

Well, maybe the job market in California is worse, I don't know. I know that particular example- he's dead set on finding a job in southern California. I'm sure if he was willing to relocate anywhere in the USA it'd probably be a different story and he'd have something by now.

It's very normal around here for people to be unable to find a job right away a couple months after getting their diploma, even in engineering, from the better schools around here. Even if they're really trying hard to find something, they can't get anything right away. For every job opening there is, there's hundreds and hundreds of applicants that apply right away. I took a business class with some executive people at SAIC and they told us that for job openings they post, 500 people apply within like the first couple days they post it.

Well, maybe the job market in California is worse, I don't know. I know that particular example- he's dead set on finding a job in southern California. I'm sure if he was willing to relocate anywhere in the USA it'd probably be a different story and he'd have something by now.

It's very normal around here for people to be unable to find a job right away a couple months after getting their diploma, even in engineering, from the better schools around here. Even if they're really trying hard to find something, they can't get anything right away. For every job opening there is, there's hundreds and hundreds of applicants that apply right away. I took a business class with some executive people at SAIC and they told us that for job openings they post, 500 people apply within like the first couple days they post it.

I would recommend anyone to stay with their parents as long as they can. I'm able to save way way way more money staying at home than if I were to move out on my own. Everyone keeps telling me I should move out, but if they seen my savings account they would beg to differ.

I would recommend anyone to stay with their parents as long as they can. I'm able to save way way way more money staying at home than if I were to move out on my own. Everyone keeps telling me I should move out, but if they seen my savings account they would beg to differ.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

laugh.gif

Try getting an engineering job in the Bay Area. EVERYONE has those kinda stats. My dad works for a big company and they had a hiring freeze for most of 09. On top of that, the company is giving INTERNSHIP positions to people with Masters Degrees. 

laugh.gif

Try getting an engineering job in the Bay Area. EVERYONE has those kinda stats. My dad works for a big company and they had a hiring freeze for most of 09. On top of that, the company is giving INTERNSHIP positions to people with Masters Degrees. 

If you guys think that "struggling" is "stunting", then all my means do you.

You can pull all the females you want by telling em you got your own house and everything, but i'll go right ahead and sleep by myself with my blanket of benjamins in the bank account.

I think the degree thing varies from state to state. You have a decent degree with a decent GPA, i dont see why you can't at least get an internship here within the City.

If you guys think that "struggling" is "stunting", then all my means do you.

You can pull all the females you want by telling em you got your own house and everything, but i'll go right ahead and sleep by myself with my blanket of benjamins in the bank account.

I think the degree thing varies from state to state. You have a decent degree with a decent GPA, i dont see why you can't at least get an internship here within the City.

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

laugh.gif

Bay Area is the only place that has engineering jobs? He went to UCSD though... again, I don't understand. UCSD is an alright engineering school too. I'll make an educated guess and say that less than 5% at my school's engineering school have 3.7+'s.  I don't know how it is at most other schools. 

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

laugh.gif

Bay Area is the only place that has engineering jobs? He went to UCSD though... again, I don't understand. UCSD is an alright engineering school too. I'll make an educated guess and say that less than 5% at my school's engineering school have 3.7+'s.  I don't know how it is at most other schools. 

Yeah, that's the thing, California is real rough on jobs right now. It's not easy to find anything no matter how good your GPA is. You really help your chances out immensely if you know people. I'm sure if he was willing to relocate ANYwhere in the US he could find something, but he's set on SoCal because of family.

UCSD has a great engineering school (yes I'm a homer), and so does Berkeley and UCLA- and people at those schools are facing the same dilemma in trying to find a job. I know people who've had to wait almost a year before finding a job ( I don't know how their resumes look like...but yeah)

At the place I'm currently interning at, I've met a few interns who have Master's degrees, who couldn't find something, so they had to settle for an internship after a few months of job searching.

Yeah, that's the thing, California is real rough on jobs right now. It's not easy to find anything no matter how good your GPA is. You really help your chances out immensely if you know people. I'm sure if he was willing to relocate ANYwhere in the US he could find something, but he's set on SoCal because of family.

UCSD has a great engineering school (yes I'm a homer), and so does Berkeley and UCLA- and people at those schools are facing the same dilemma in trying to find a job. I know people who've had to wait almost a year before finding a job ( I don't know how their resumes look like...but yeah)

At the place I'm currently interning at, I've met a few interns who have Master's degrees, who couldn't find something, so they had to settle for an internship after a few months of job searching.

^Yea, I sympathize with the job market and everything because I'm going through recruiting right now and hear stories all the time but 3.7+'s in engineering from good schools crying about the job market are probably being too picky.

^Yea, I sympathize with the job market and everything because I'm going through recruiting right now and hear stories all the time but 3.7+'s in engineering from good schools crying about the job market are probably being too picky.

seasoned vet wrote:

- you cats really dont get it do you?

- what you call struggling, i call regular life. it has its ups and downs. this? what we are discussing right here has NOTHING to do with bragging or trying to prove something. the feelings yall keep catching over it shows that you just feel inferior to those that have done it.

- im good either way though, .......carry on.
laugh.gif

....my man said struggling. na man, struggling would be panhandling, sleeping in your car, in a house with no heat in the winter. LOL@ struggling being a mere $2,000 reliable car and no cell phone bill
roll.gif
. and you dudes is dead serious too. these cats is straight diva status and have NO PROBLEM with it.
laugh.gif
. but again im good.

- ask your parents how they lived starting out. and them to reflect on their past and how they started. im curious.

1) what are you talking about 'diva status'

2) it doesn't matter what kinda story you give us bro. I respect you since you probably made it out fine doing your solo thing.

3) a lot of people are DEFINITELY trying to prove something by moving out at young age. You really don't know people like this? People who try to act like they're ultra independent?
grin.gif

4) I understand your situation man, You probably made it. But lets be real and lets generalize for a second...

If people stayed home after school til say 25. and stacked a few Gs every year they'd be set..

opposed to...

leaving home and going to the unknown. Especially in this Economy?! Man, I respect ya grind but your argument is null and void.

seasoned vet wrote:

- you cats really dont get it do you?

- what you call struggling, i call regular life. it has its ups and downs. this? what we are discussing right here has NOTHING to do with bragging or trying to prove something. the feelings yall keep catching over it shows that you just feel inferior to those that have done it.

- im good either way though, .......carry on.
laugh.gif

....my man said struggling. na man, struggling would be panhandling, sleeping in your car, in a house with no heat in the winter. LOL@ struggling being a mere $2,000 reliable car and no cell phone bill
roll.gif
. and you dudes is dead serious too. these cats is straight diva status and have NO PROBLEM with it.
laugh.gif
. but again im good.

- ask your parents how they lived starting out. and them to reflect on their past and how they started. im curious.

1) what are you talking about 'diva status'

2) it doesn't matter what kinda story you give us bro. I respect you since you probably made it out fine doing your solo thing.

3) a lot of people are DEFINITELY trying to prove something by moving out at young age. You really don't know people like this? People who try to act like they're ultra independent?
grin.gif

4) I understand your situation man, You probably made it. But lets be real and lets generalize for a second...

If people stayed home after school til say 25. and stacked a few Gs every year they'd be set..

opposed to...

leaving home and going to the unknown. Especially in this Economy?! Man, I respect ya grind but your argument is null and void.

I would say it all depends.

If you are in school, I don't think there really is a limit (full-time student)..... Trying to get your own place, go to school full time, not even enough hours in a week for me...

One thing I think is ridiculous are parents who make their children pay rent, or kick them out at a certain age... That is just cold hearted..

I would say it all depends.

If you are in school, I don't think there really is a limit (full-time student)..... Trying to get your own place, go to school full time, not even enough hours in a week for me...

One thing I think is ridiculous are parents who make their children pay rent, or kick them out at a certain age... That is just cold hearted..

last year of college

working part time at a place that's waiting for me to graduate so I can be on salary

living at home

AND driving a 98 Mazda Protege.

in about 9 months my life will be 13231x more pimpin, so I'm cool with eating some humble pie now.

anyone sayin i'm too old to be living at home or that i'm on some loser #%%* automatically shows their lameness.

last year of college

working part time at a place that's waiting for me to graduate so I can be on salary

living at home

AND driving a 98 Mazda Protege.

in about 9 months my life will be 13231x more pimpin, so I'm cool with eating some humble pie now.

anyone sayin i'm too old to be living at home or that i'm on some loser #%%* automatically shows their lameness.

where im form down in Mex. Most families live together in the same house for up to three generations or four, yes there is alwasy some that move out, but eventually if you don't move back with your parents, they will end up moving in with you. Sometimes you might move back because you got money problems or sometimes your parents move cuz they have some. Me im 22 and still live with them, yet i pay about half the bills, my bro pays a couple and my parents pay the rest. Its not them charging me rent its me wanting to help them out.

where im form down in Mex. Most families live together in the same house for up to three generations or four, yes there is alwasy some that move out, but eventually if you don't move back with your parents, they will end up moving in with you. Sometimes you might move back because you got money problems or sometimes your parents move cuz they have some. Me im 22 and still live with them, yet i pay about half the bills, my bro pays a couple and my parents pay the rest. Its not them charging me rent its me wanting to help them out.

Originally Posted by demik

Man, no limit. If you can remain being single or not serious in a relationship and still living at your moms, *!@% it you're lucky. Take advantage of it and save up like no tomorrow. As long as you don't have kids, or any other type of responsibilities, and your moms is cool with it, stay there as long as you want, but make sure you pay rent and help out. Trade-trade situation. You'll end up having a bunch of good @#++ in the end. Great car, good clothes, etc.

Move out once you have a decent job/career or when you think you're ready for commitment. You'll be leaving your moms a real wealthy dude/chick, and you'll realize, that you didn't *!@% up like the rest of the ignorant 18 year olds that stepped out into the real world, with no support and experience of how crazy it really is out there.

This. I am 24 now (and the situation might be different because in my culture, a woman is expected to stay with her parents until she is married), but when I move out, that's it. I am not coming back. So I need to make sure I am all set financially before I go. If that means saving up for the next two years, so be it. My current job is nice, but it's not exactly what I want. I know so many people who moved out immediately after graduation, and they live paycheck to paycheck, constantly worrying about covering rent because it's so expensive in this city.

I don't judge anyone who is trying to better themselves while living at home.

Back
Top Bottom