non-blacks, what are your opinions on tyler perry and his movies?

ive seen 1 movie n a few episodes of his show,
but i try not to watch it
its all garbage imo

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

I dont even know if I can take the opinions of a lot of these "non-blacks" that are commenting serious. I'd have to know a little about them and where they're coming from before I consider listening, and that's kinda hard to do over the web...
Well how about the opinions of the black posters in this thread?

I dont even know if I can take the opinions of a lot of these "non-blacks" that are commenting serious. I'd have to know a little about them and where they're coming from before I consider listening, and that's kinda hard to do over the web...

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

When will black people realize that most of the world doesn't give a damn about their tv shows and movies. Except for Friday.
They don't give a damn because most of them aren't worth a damn. We need to put out better shows and movies instead of constantly trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

When will black people realize that most of the world doesn't give a damn about their tv shows and movies. Except for Friday.
They don't give a damn because most of them aren't worth a damn. We need to put out better shows and movies instead of constantly trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Maybe I'm missing something here, how can those who are not black understand all that entails ****ery? I'm being serious here. I'm black and I KNOW the feeling I get when I see it. I just don't understand how non blacks can make this assessment. NT is getting ridiculous now 
30t6p3b.gif
. Btw, I dislike Tyler Perry, but that whole ****ery stuff from a non black person, I don't understand.

Maybe I'm missing something here, how can those who are not black understand all that entails ****ery? I'm being serious here. I'm black and I KNOW the feeling I get when I see it. I just don't understand how non blacks can make this assessment. NT is getting ridiculous now 
30t6p3b.gif
. Btw, I dislike Tyler Perry, but that whole ****ery stuff from a non black person, I don't understand.

Originally Posted by AusZero

I'm white and have never seen one of his movies. I think that is the case for most white people. However I feel his trailers and ads are everywhere. Those give you a 30 second snippet of his work which stereotypes and and makes African Americans seem stupid. His movies might have a poignant message but that's not revealed in a television ad during prime time television. Whites mAy not be his target demographic and they will probably never be exposed to a full film but the small portion they are exposed to enforces a negative stereotype. I'm sure he is employing a few people but at the cost of the majority.

As fOr the comparison to wshh I think that's an unfair one as 99% of white people would never visit a site like that. Their content maybe ten times as damaging but their exposure into white culture is minuscule compared to Tyler perrys.
THIS!!! me and my girl went to see Limitless a couple weeks back and were the only black couple in there....the preview for his movie came up and it was so horrible 
sick.gif

we heard maybe one or two chuckles but thats it....i was cringing like WTH is this movie doing previewing in here...maybe my thoughts would be different if i actually like his work but outside of why did i get married....
sick.gif
 @ tyler perry

Originally Posted by AusZero

I'm white and have never seen one of his movies. I think that is the case for most white people. However I feel his trailers and ads are everywhere. Those give you a 30 second snippet of his work which stereotypes and and makes African Americans seem stupid. His movies might have a poignant message but that's not revealed in a television ad during prime time television. Whites mAy not be his target demographic and they will probably never be exposed to a full film but the small portion they are exposed to enforces a negative stereotype. I'm sure he is employing a few people but at the cost of the majority.

As fOr the comparison to wshh I think that's an unfair one as 99% of white people would never visit a site like that. Their content maybe ten times as damaging but their exposure into white culture is minuscule compared to Tyler perrys.
THIS!!! me and my girl went to see Limitless a couple weeks back and were the only black couple in there....the preview for his movie came up and it was so horrible 
sick.gif

we heard maybe one or two chuckles but thats it....i was cringing like WTH is this movie doing previewing in here...maybe my thoughts would be different if i actually like his work but outside of why did i get married....
sick.gif
 @ tyler perry

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

ATLien Seeko wrote:

They are valid because a lot of what his movies have to deal with are directly related to black community and culture. You could even narrow it down to southern black community and culture. So unless you're familiar with where a lot of the stuff is coming from, it doesnt make much sense to you either way, weather you're black or white, but there's a greater chance that you will at least understand a larger majority of it if you grew up around black people, at least, and even more so if they were southern.

ATLien Seeko wrote:

They are valid because a lot of what his movies have to deal with are directly related to black community and culture. You could even narrow it down to southern black community and culture. So unless you're familiar with where a lot of the stuff is coming from, it doesnt make much sense to you either way, weather you're black or white, but there's a greater chance that you will at least understand a larger majority of it if you grew up around black people, at least, and even more so if they were southern.

I liked Tyler Perry back when he was doing plays. However I can't knock dude. I know he's caking up like crazy right now.

Why did I get married too? Was hilarious.

I liked Tyler Perry back when he was doing plays. However I can't knock dude. I know he's caking up like crazy right now.

Why did I get married too? Was hilarious.

that TBS show naw; that Madea stuff naw; that "so hard to find good Christain man" play I heard on ESPN radio commercial naw

that TBS show naw; that Madea stuff naw; that "so hard to find good Christain man" play I heard on ESPN radio commercial naw

I'm not black so i'll state my opinion

I honestly hate anything Tyler makes he gives a stupid image of black people maybe not stupid but it's corny and cheesy to me I dislike damn near all his work and thats based off a few movies.
Another thing I have noticed a lot of his stuff is just the same crap over and over, he's milking his black people, because he knows it'll sell regardless.

I'm not black so i'll state my opinion

I honestly hate anything Tyler makes he gives a stupid image of black people maybe not stupid but it's corny and cheesy to me I dislike damn near all his work and thats based off a few movies.
Another thing I have noticed a lot of his stuff is just the same crap over and over, he's milking his black people, because he knows it'll sell regardless.

I think Dave Chappelle did more to hurt the Black community then Tyler Perry ever can or will

I think Dave Chappelle did more to hurt the Black community then Tyler Perry ever can or will

ATLien Seeko wrote:

Perception is reality...

ATLien Seeko wrote:

Perception is reality...

--The only Tyler Perry movie I've seen is Madea Goes To Jail. The previews appealed to me for that one.
--I havent had any interest whatsoever in seeing any of his other films.

--Just not my cup of tea I guess. I'm Filipino btw.

--The only Tyler Perry movie I've seen is Madea Goes To Jail. The previews appealed to me for that one.
--I havent had any interest whatsoever in seeing any of his other films.

--Just not my cup of tea I guess. I'm Filipino btw.

Back
Top Bottom