***Official Political Discussion Thread***

LOL.

That's a wild take.

First, the Venn diagram of cultural issues, economic issues, and social issues is not three separate circles. All these aspects are interconnected in ways that can't be easily separated.

Second, Democratic policies are popular. Democratic politicians are not.
I think that take is really bad for another reason

The Democratic Party represents a very diverse set of people, one that is motivated to vote Democrat for a number of reasons. Both economic, social, legal, historical, and cultural reasons. As you said, these things play off one another. It is hard to keep this coalition happy, engaged and satisfied at all times because you have to make a lot of calculations on a national level.

The party itself goes to great lengths to try to balance demands from cultural progressives and cultural conservatives. Trying to find ways to market progressives messages without causing a backlash.

The party leadership does that, most members that run with a (D) next to their name in a diverse area do this. So knows he doesn't have a leg to stand on if he is talking about the whole party. Their message is pretty vanilla.

So instead he takes examples from a hand full of people, and the bad faith moral outrage right-wing propaganda outlets whip up to argue that the Dems have fooled themselves into thinking something. And when you expose the fact that the party as a whole or most of his members don't do that, or there is no way they can make a diverse coalition move in unison, then the criticism shifts to them not being openly hostile to a faction of their party at one end, in hopes of gaining votes at the other end.

So really, once you work through his argument, his grievance is not the Dems bad cultural politics. But it is that the entire party doesn't align their messaging to be hostile to cultural progressivism and appeals with the cultural views of reactionary whites.

Last edited:
I mean, to be fair, it is a great business model on paper...imagine the profit margins, labor is a company's biggest expense!
I meant this literal list :lol:
1632843209044.png

again looking at history, time and time and time again tells voters will trade accountability for effectiveness.
why do you think it's different now.

I remember reading about police and city negotiation where people would call the police and the police wouldn't show up
and when people complained they would tell them "well it's because of the mayors xyz policy. " radicalizing the public against the goverment.

if you allow police to make to about accountability vs effectiveness, you will lose.

I think a growing amount of white America has somewhat had the switch flipped on police brutality. I have conversation today that just never would have happened 30 years ago. That change in perception is in no small part, I think, to the progressive left continuing to hammer away at this kind of social justice. We don't get the recent police convictions without the conversation about stop and frisk 20 years ago.

We also aren't nearly as close to the urban decay of the 70's or crack in the 80's. Look at how much less mileage the right got out of Latin American street gangs than they did those two issues. Broader social context has changed dramatically.

There's no point in working to change public opinion if you just turn around and surrender the good will.

Also, let's not overlook the fact that the party of law and order has openly embraced violent lawlessness with more enthusiasm than they have in 50 years. I agree that effective law enforcement should be the message and I think the left can own it. But we'll never have effective law enforcement unless laws are actually enforced and that takes some accountability.

Wake me up when the no knock raid happens.
Tbf, they’re playing it real safe. Trump has a lot of connections. I’m sure there’s prolly a mole or two within the FBI alone. But I’m sure some noise will occur by summer of next year.

Back
Top Bottom