***Official Political Discussion Thread***

So a multi-millionare lookin' flabby and sick jumpin' in a pool made lookin' flabby and sick cool? When that trend kick off?

giphy.gif

Da Don signed the sanctions bill today despite his strong objections to it. Looks like he realized how bad congress would react if he didn't

"You like it....you see it....you cop it", so much for that I see in your case. Keep saving your little coins champ. You'll get there someday. Reminds me of the story of the little engine that could.

except ive already had it and im doubling up now.

"ill show you how to do this son"

"Look behind you, I'm bout to pass you twice"

giphy.gif

Elon is an interesting fellow, but more than anything he seems to be a forward thinking businessman. He identified an untapped market and attacked it ruthlessly, much like a Bezos or Jobs. And as a businessman first and foremost, he is certainly not a friend of the liberal progressive base. His work is indeed a friend to the earth, in a sense, but the standard labor practices and business model do not lend well to providing the middle class with the best jobs/workplace he can offer. Part of that is the nature of the business (can't be a disrupter in this world by acting like everyone else; Ford and GM in this case) and part of it is trying to create a narrative to sell people (good for the earth = good for everyone but oil and coal; not always true).

With that said, as an investor in TSLA, keep it up, Elon :pimp:

except ive already had it and im doubling up now.

"ill show you how to do this son"

"Look behind you, I'm bout to pass you twice"

giphy.gif

You're a 30 year old plus "man" living at home with his momma........you ain't passing nobody champ. Not now.....not ever!!

"Chains is cool to cop but more important is lawyer fees mortgage payments"

"I told 'em.....please don't die over the neighborhood....that your Momma renting" :nerd:

Elon is an interesting fellow, but more than anything he seems to be a forward thinking businessman. He identified an untapped market and attacked it ruthlessly, much like a Bezos or Jobs. And as a businessman first and foremost, he is certainly not a friend of the liberal progressive base. His work is indeed a friend to the earth, in a sense, but the standard labor practices and business model do not lend well to providing the middle class with the best jobs/workplace he can offer. Part of that is the nature of the business (can't be a disrupter in this world by acting like everyone else; Ford and GM in this case) and part of it is trying to create a narrative to sell people (good for the earth = good for everyone but oil and coal; not always true).

I usually like what you post but that post was just a big, jumbled word salad.

Elon owns a car company, that company has bad working conditions. He needs to address it.

You're a 30 year old plus "man" living at home with his momma........you ain't passing nobody champ. Not now.....not ever!!

"Chains is cool to cop but more important is lawyer fees mortgage payments"

"I told 'em.....please don't die over the neighborhood....that your Momma renting" :nerd:

To be fair, there are like 20,000 families that actually own anything significant and almost everyone's meager wealth and income is determined largely by random chance. That's capitalism. I wish that the poster whom I am defending would acknowledge that but nevertheless, people's net worth is not a true reflection of their worth, in human terms.

Never been a fan of Elon personally.

SpaceX... specifically in Hawthorne, CA and Cape Canaveral are also terrible places to work for.

I know of at least 3 people that have committed suicide on their facilities.

Yeah, me and you disagree on this a bit.

Let me explain where I am coming from on this. And I don’t’ mean to direct this at you personally, but some of your comments seem to represent a sentiment I think it way to common on the left.

But to start let me say I do respect Elon Musk a lot, as an engineer, innovator. And I do agree with him on quite a bit. I like that he builds tangible things like cars, solar panels, tunnels, rockets, and a tube that shots people long distances at ridiculous speeds. He adds way more to the economy than other celebrated “job creators”

I agree with him on carbon tax, about having a strong space program, about UBI, and about improving the infrastructure. Now like I said in the past he is extremely self-serving because his arguments for these things align with his own business interest but still, he is forward thinking and on the right side on many issues.

However,

Him being an innovator, or the little guy (which is really is not), is not a valid excuse for him to treat his workers like he does. His factories are unsafe; also, he is vehemently anti-union and like you alluded too it is to gain a market advantage. To me, being anti-labor on the level that he is should be a nonstarter for any liberal. I support tons of policies that would help Musk, so Elon can miss me with his excuses that needs step on the neck of his workers like he does.

I also support tons of policies that would make it easier for innovators and small firms to enter markets to disrupt large enriched firms. Single payer or public option would help, infrastructure improvement would help, a negative tax rate would too, as would serious antitrust enforcement. But innovators and small firms don’t get to mistreat their workers.

I believe that one of the major problems in society, but unfortunately also on the left too, is that we have become ambivalent to the struggles of workers. Especially lowly educated workers. Like what good reason does Elon Musk have no to provide safe environment for his workers? Why can’t he pay them a decent wage? Why should he allow them to unionize? Because he has to take on Ford and other larger car companies? I’m sorry but nahhhhhh. I willing to help him by passing a carbon tax, subsidizing renewables and electric cars, and banning states from blocking him from doing business in them.

But I won’t buy the excuse that he needs to treat his middle and lower middle class worker like ****. If I was President, I would push for tons of policies to help him. But I would also make the DOJ, Labor Department and OHSA run him a massive fade if he does not change his ways.

And that goes for people like Jobs aka (I want to build my phones oversea to save $15 but want as many tax breaks are humanly possible) and Bezos aka (I will sue my workers for them to stand in line for 1.5 hours without pay, work them to death, then use my market power to form de-facto a monopoly). These people may have earned some respect from me, but that doesn’t mean I will cosign their BS

Last edited:
Secondly, as a general comment, I wish the everyone on the left got as upset for labor issues the same way they do for civil rights issues. Because the two go hand in hand, you can’t have social justice without economic justice. So every labor rights issue is a civil rights issue.

Like think of it this way. If Musk was not hiring black and Hispanic people in his factories, liberals almost universally would be enraged. But many can rationalize labor violations away. But as a thought exercise, join the two. Imagine Elon Musk was treating his all minority workforce like ****. Would it he ok then to rationalize minorities being worked to death and injured just to enrich Musk and his shareholders? Or would you think that a sensible middle ground was paying the people decent and making the work environment safe. No matter if the Model 3 got delayed a few months.

And this is not me playing the race card, well-paying, safe, "unskilled jobs" are what help build the white middle class, is what minorities communities need desperately, and is something that can help fight inequality. But if we allow those jobs to be **** too, then they will be impotent to help those groups.

As a country and as liberals, we need to stop compromising on labor rights

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom