***Official Political Discussion Thread***

It’s pretty ****ing simple:

**** Donald Trump. **** his repulsive supporters and the GOP.

We may have varying degrees of opinions and differences in here but to STILL justify Donald ****ing Trump to be re-elected, then IDK what else to say about people’s choices and their LACK OF CONSCIOUSNESS/JUDGEMENT.

THERE IS NO COMMON GROUND WITH TRUMP and we can’t let him destroy more of this country.

Pretty much. Why people keep trying to "both sides" this **** or "understand where people are coming from" is baffling to me. People who support Trump and the GOP largely only care about keeping the white power structure intact. Dassit. They aren't floating new ideas, they aren't expanding their base, they're literally running on White Supremacy and voter suppression. **** ALLLLLL of em

Meh, I want trump supports to suffer bad. When I say bad I mean the worst possible for generations to come. Notice I didn’t say republicans
I mean the policies I want put into place will help them as well but personally **** all of them.
I don't want the best for white supremacist bigots but they'd still receive the benefits of a more equitable society.

But we have to be aware of the nuance of language being co opted and being adopted to confuse. Just because the maga crowd is using that as a talking point does not mean there is no truth to it. Recent politics has branded political corruption as a talking point (both side cake) of one group and muddying the water for anyone trying to actually discuss political corruption. Branding ideas exclusively to certain groups has its ups and downsides. I feel like ascribing the both sides argument to the maga crown is harmful in this instance. The Lincoln project is a clear example to me of the parties shifting to align with power and to hell with "party ideals" and both parties being more of the same.

I understand in the heat of the moment of this current election it can be used as fuel to help the other side. But blaming them for what seems to you as inaction and what appears to themselves as frustration from being ignored and systematically down troden won't get that politically apathetic person to go and vote.

What I want to say is that there is a better way to engage the people who feel like the system failed them. Forcing them to just shut up and vote in the heat of the moment is the type of energy that drove those people from politics in the first place.
That's your personal opinion. Name calling and finger pointing to a politically apathetic person is going to reinforce why they don't engage in politics in the first place.

wr wr i get it now. It seems like you are SORTA coming around to the idea that both sides, ARENT the same. But don’t want to acknowledge how political apathy and the both sides framing, is one of a host of reason why the political climate is what it is today. You seem to want a safe space, to slide in...without acknowledging why we are here. The irony is, that’s exactly what those Lincoln project folks want. To slide in, not be accountable and be on the correct side of history.

What I will say you are correct on....is your tightful apathy and disillusionment. As a black person in America...we are somewhat almost entitled to that. And we all feel that way, no matter the level of our political engagement.

However, that isn’t an excuse to play the both sides game, when it’s been clear for 40 years...what the “side” was. And sitting on the sideline, being apathetic, discouraging participation and ho-humming and both siding politics to seem above it, is not the way. Nobody is “forcing you to shut up and vote” either. The decision is just so strikingly clear, that it’s maddening to treat things with kid gloves in important decisions. We can be critical. We always are. But we gotta be real.

It’s all good tho. We want the same things. Get on board. Do the research. Use all the tools at your disposal, and push for a better future for you and yours. Voting is only ONE of the tools. But use it, and do the other work I’m sure you’re already doing. #samepage. Same team.

But Building resentment because a few folks said “I told you so”, or not acknowledging how we got here aint the way. It’s cool to have the uncomfortable convos and just acknowledging You or me may have underestimated or didn’t see certain things etc.

wr wr i get it now. It seems like you are SORTA coming around to the idea that both sides, ARENT the same. But don’t want to acknowledge how political apathy and the both sides framing, is one of a host of reason why the political climate is what it is today. You seem to want a safe space, to slide in...without acknowledging why we are here. The irony is, that’s exactly what those Lincoln project folks want. To slide in, not be accountable and be on the correct side of history.

What I will say you are correct on....is your tightful apathy and disillusionment. As a black person in America...we are somewhat almost entitled to that. And we all feel that way, no matter the level of our political engagement.

However, that isn’t an excuse to play the both sides game, when it’s been clear for 40 years...what the “side” was. And sitting on the sideline, being apathetic, discouraging participation and ho-humming and both siding politics to seem above it, is not the way. Nobody is “forcing you to shut up and vote” either. The decision is just so strikingly clear, that it’s maddening to treat things with kid gloves in important decisions. We can be critical. We always are. But we gotta be real.

It’s all good tho. We want the same things. Get on board. Do the research. Use all the tools at your disposal, and push for a better future for you and yours. Voting is only ONE of the tools. But use it, and do the other work I’m sure you’re already doing. #samepage. Same team.

But Building resentment because a few folks said “I told you so”, or not acknowledging how we got here aint the way. It’s cool to have the uncomfortable convos and just acknowledging You or me may have underestimated or didn’t see certain things etc.
RealAcademicEmu-size_restricted.gif

You get it bruh.

I mean the policies I want put into place will help them as well but personally **** all of them.
I don't want the best for white supremacist bigots but they'd still receive the benefits of a more equitable society.
Y’all nicer than me for sure. I’ll leave it at that before I get banned or something

Y’all nicer than me for sure. I’ll leave it at that before I get banned or something
Not really. It's kind of like how white supremacist policies are targeted to primarily affect minorities yet catch millions of white people in the trap too. It's the same effect. I want better for minorities which incidentally will enrich the lives of millions of poor uneducated whites as well.

This is why the #1 priority Biden has to have is to pack the courts, arguably he can generally make a lot of strides on COVID relief by not being a moron like Trump, but they got to pack the court before 2022.

prefer the term "court expansion". court packing sounds nefarious and what McConnell does. we are trying to undo that damage

agree though. name a new scotus appointee every month until the States are willing to agree to a constitutional amendment

that might mean a 21-6 majority first but it is what it is

Not really. It's kind of like how white supremacist policies are targeted to primarily affect minorities yet catch millions of white people in the trap too. It's the same effect. I want better for minorities which incidentally will enrich the lives of millions of poor uneducated whites as well.
See, I don’t label all whites as trump supporters. Not saying you do either. My comments are strictly for trump supports.

like if a bus was coming, and I had to choose between saving my free water from Arby’s that I didn’t ask for, that was already leaking most of it out, prior to already drinking a bottle of water, thirst perfectly quenched, or a trump supporter.........

By the way, I would highly recommend the following podcast for those who may be interested in the topic. The title is pretty self-explanatory. It's not overly littered with legal jargon but I think you do need at least a modicum of understanding of the US legal system and its terminology. It's not like you'll just sit there befuddled the whole time but they're not going to explain to you what an amicus brief is for example.
272a1bf0128f825b3517e2864521f5ea.png

You need way more reforms than rank choice voting. Like an entire rework of the political, electoral, and bureaucratic system.
Maybe you want to go into the details of what those additional reforms might entail.

I just fail to see how voter suppression would be effective in a system where more than one party would constitute the opposition. Remember that the GOP is able to effectively target minority voters because they overwhelmingly vote for Democrats, so it's under the "we don't want Democrats to vote" pretext that they're actually to impact Black/Brown participation in elections/policymaking. How do you do that in a political environment in which the minority voter is no longer synonymous with a particular party?

1. This Barrett creatures looks like an evil bich, seriously. Just pure evil.

2. I really wish people would stop talking about a peaceful transition of power. He has no choice but the more they talk about it the more he feels like he can fight it and some people will think he the right to fight it.

3. I’m so tired of the media. ****in worthless. No integrity, no balls.

Maybe you want to go into the details of what those additional reforms might entail.

I just fail to see how voter suppression would be effective in a system where more than one party would constitute the opposition. Remember that the GOP is able to effectively target minority voters because they overwhelmingly vote for Democrats, so it's under the "we don't want Democrats to vote" pretext that they're actually to impact Black/Brown participation in elections/policymaking. How do you do that in a political environment in which the minority voter is no longer synonymous with a particular party?
I will go into detail on all the reforms needed, but let I can address the voter suppression issue now.

I think of Parties of just coalitions of subgroups (Dems being more diverse ideologically than the Right). Sure with the right and left there are tons of voters that don't align with the party 100%, or even 70%, but they view them as the best choice all things considered or because of specific issues. The two-party system forces coalitions to form before elections, the multiparty system lets coalition-building happen after elections.

However, the theory of no voter suppression under rank choice depends on the assumption that new smaller political parties will no make alliances before elections to shape the electorate to their favor. Voter suppression is overtly racist, but as a political strategy, it is just about making the electorate more friendly to your candidates.

What happens if we have two conservatives and both conservative parties view an electorate with less black voters more friendly to their political chances.No matter if black people start to vote for the moderate conservatives at a higher rate, having less of them in the electorate most the ideological lean in a way that raised the chances of either conservative party winning. Hell, I could see the centrist left party taking the same view with young voters, allying with right-wing parties to suppress their votes.

Your plan works if they are ideological diversity within parties and easy alliances can't form (which won't happen because a multiparty system works against this happening), and a ton of vote splitting within demographics so that no group becomes associated with a party. And looking around at around the world, I doubt that is gonna happen.

Sure there is the argument that some voter suppression might affect your own parties voters, but electorally voter suppression is about shaping the electorate. So the incentive for voter suppression moves from party to political ideology. And an America multiparty system will likely splinter on ideology, not geography, as it did during the New Deal Coalition Era. So the Reactionary Conservatives and the Moderate Republican Party might want to ally to suppress the votes of black voters because black voters mainly vote for the Centrist Democratic Party or the Progressive Party.

While I support rank choice voting, I think it will help, but you still have to explicitly ban all forms of voter suppression. Rank choice voting alone is not a strong enough countervailing power. All it takes is one ****ty compromise to make it viable political strategy under rank choice.

Last edited:
1. This Barrett creatures looks like an evil bich, seriously. Just pure evil.

2. I really wish people would stop talking about a peaceful transition of power. He has no choice but the more they talk about it the more he feels like he can fight it and some people will think he the right to fight it.

3. I’m so tired of the media. ****in worthless. No integrity, no balls.

Delk's *** still gonna come in here and try to delude himself that Trump is the pro-black candidate :lol:

Back
Top Bottom