Petyon Manning will go down as the GOAT

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Originally Posted by Banks2Pierce

I'll say this: Cassel doing the #'s he did last year in that system didn't really help Brady's cause in the all time discussion.

interesting ... i'm biased but W/E ....

He is top 5 right now and will own most records when he is done, he'll have more MVPs than anyone ever ... the only thing is the rings now ...

I've watched peyton fold up in the playoffs
I've watched Marvin fold up in the playoffs against ty law
I've watched the frustration that is going up against the PATS

And Carlos Tevez you're bugging is those defensive stats make u think the colts D was any good ...
roll.gif

These guys never get an important 3rd down stop, they hardly get turnovers in the secondary, they don't give up big plays but they have been bad for a longtime and more important ... unreliable

My dude gets better each year and while i still think his 49td is the best ever... count the quarters my dude sat out that season ... the dan marino singleseason passing record would have been smashed and he could have had 60 tds ... all unecessary though

If he gets another ring /discussion ... until then i will not say he is the best ... and much as this is a team sport ... he has to overcome a poor defense,tough road conditions ... do those things that you are supposed to do when you are arguably the best ...

SIT BACK and enjoy for now the best QB in the game though ...
pimp.gif

Anyone who thinks Montana is the best qb ever is either a 9ers fan or doesnt know much about about the game of football

Originally Posted by BgL2687

Originally Posted by JsindaA

Originally Posted by a55a5in11

I would have to say Tom Brady is already the GOAT. dude won 3 superbowls with 0 wide recievers. broke record for regular season td's.
brady has done everything manning has done + more

WRONG. However I don't know who the dummy is that said Brady doesn't make no name WR's look good. Quick, name me a HOF WR he had before Moss........Brady and Peyton are both awesome QB's and do it differently. They could both be top 5 when they are done.
Name a HOF WR that manning had? Brady always had good receivers. Terry glenn? Troy Brown? They might have been old when Brady started playing, but were still verry good receivers. Brady is a good QB, but his coaches system was really tuned to perfection. As you saw with matt cassell. Put that garbage into patriots system and he leads them to a 11-5 season, but when he went to KC he sucks.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

you have proven to know nothin about the game of football. did you even know who brown and glenn were before brady. oh ya i can name you three HOFrecievers's manning had. they go by the name of marvin harrison, reggie wayne, and dallas clark. had manning had edgerrin james. and you may not knowbecause you dont know anything about football. but having a running back like edge made the defense put extra men in the box to stop the run. brady on theother hand has never had a solid running back. kevin faulk was hihs best and he was always poopoo

From another thread...
Originally Posted by iLLoQuent aka DSK

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Can we agree that Peyton is the best quarterback in football, and probably has been all this time?
He is currently the best QB in football and has arguably been it all this time.

And yes, once his career is finished...you can make a case for him being the GOAT of QB's.
Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

I don't think you can argue against it, but it seems like Manning and Brady flip flop every year or two on taking on that label.

To get to the bottom of this, I think we have to wait until both careers are over, because so much can still happen. It'll still probably be too close to call. We could be witnessing the two greatest all-time, which makes this all the more enjoyable.
This is more or less where I stand.
The way he manages the offense and does things before the snap of the ball is unparalleled. There's no disputing that.

He wins another SB or two and racks up a few records and he'll have the strongest case for GOAT status amongst QB's, IMO.

Can't definitively say now tho' because who knows what'll happen in the next # of years...you just never know.

EDIT:

Name a HOF WR that manning had?
Did fam really just ask that?
laugh.gif

I'll say this: Cassel doing the #'s he did last year in that system didn't really help Brady's cause in the all time discussion.
Ok, so what does Steve Young dominating in Montana's absence say about Montana?

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Ok, so what does Steve Young dominating in Montana's absence say about Montana?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

im sorry...i didnt see matt cassel in the superbowl, break the single season TD record, etc etc.

not to mention the fact that much of brady's true "magic" came pre-moss, pre-welker, pre-"dependable" rb (and i use that term veryloosely)

article for all you on bradys nuts:

Peyton Manning takes a shot at Tom Brady
by BigBlueShoe on Oct 12, 2009 1:28 PM EDT in Analysis 27 comments

More photos » by John Russell - AP
about 17 hours ago: Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning directs his teammates as he calls a play in the third quarter of an NFL football game againstthe Tennessee Titans in Nashville, Tenn., Sunday, Oct. 11, 2009. (AP Photo/John Russell)
Peyton and Tom are pretty good friends. Though this likely annoys the piss out of New England Patriots fans, who likely still think Peyton "gotlucky" facing the then-Rex Grossman-led Bears in the Super Bowl, resulting in his "only one" Super Bowl win, both players have mutual respectand admiration for one another. They text each other after games, check up with each other during the off-season, and have worked together in the past toensure that the QBs in this league are well taken care of.

But last night, dare I say, I do believe Peyton Manning took a shot at Tom Brady, who has noticeably been acting like a whiny +%+%$ during games when it comesto lobbying for roughing the passer calls.

Before we get into what Manning said, flash back two weeks ago. On a key drive by the Patriots offense against the Baltimore Ravens, Terrell Suggs attempted tosack Tom Brady. After Brady let his pass fly, Suggs lounged at Brady and brushed up against his knees. Before Suggs seemingly hit the ground, Brady turned toofficial Ron Winter and started pleading for a flag. Replays show Winters seemed swayed by Brady's pleas and tossed yellow at his feet.

15 yard penalty. Pats first down. The drive would later end with a touchdown.

Contrast this with last night. In his own endzone, late in the second quarter, Peyton Manning lets a pass fly. He is then hit immediately, below the knees, byKyle Vanden Bosch. The official sees the hit and throws yellow. Vanden Bosch can't believe it, but that is "The Brady Rule" defined. Vanden Boschspun out of a block, fell, and hit Manning's knee with sufficient force to knock Manning down. By rule, that's a penalty, like it or not.

The 15 yards gives Indy a fresh set of downs, which they use to march 93 yards (aided by two more roughing the passer penalties as the Titans seemed to comeunglued prior to halftime) for a TD to close the half.

Now, when Manning was hit by Vanden Bosch, many noticed that he did not turn and plead with the official for a flag, in stark contrast to Brady against theRavens. And immediately after the flag was thrown, you did not see Manning applaud or pump his fist for the call, also in stark contrast to Brady against thePatriots.

Indeed, following the game, Manning seemed to make it a point that he does not do that kind of stuff:

Manning wanted to differentiate himself from how New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady reacted in light of a similar, but softer, call in a Week 4 victoryover the Baltimore Ravens.
"I've never asked for a call, I've never clapped when they've made a call," he said. "I clap when we get the yards because ofexecution. The first one, I've had that hit before to the knee. I don't know if I have to validate it or not, but I've got to see the doctor afterthis and get treatment. Obviously when you plant that left knee it's in a vulnerable position, I wear that brace for that reason alone, hopefully itprotects me there."

Make no mistake about it folks, that is indeed a shot a Tom Brady. Those calls against the Ravens (which, by rule, were correct I might add) are still fresh ineveryone's mind. And when we see Peyton get a call due in part to "The Brady Rule," they become even more fresh. So, when Peyton says"I've never asked for a call, I've never clapped when they've made a call... I clap when we get the yards because of execution," he'sthinking about Tom Brady. Peyton never says anything unless he's thought it through.

Like Peyton, I personally like and respect Brady. I was sickened to see him go down in a heap last year and I agree that rules protecting that which we shellout good money to see (quarterbacks) are a good thing.

However, part of people's frustration with "The Brady Rule" is how players, like the rule's namesake, have been seemingly crying for callsbecause of it. It seems like Manning is also aware this frustration, and is trying to let people know not all QBs cry for yellow, or applaud and fist pumpafterward when they get it.

People were not saying this in 07 when Brady was breaking records. Easy to say this now when Brady is still recovering and Manning's team is 5-0. Wait tilBrady gets back on track. Hard to believe the GOAT has one super bowl win and that was because of his defense.

Originally Posted by JsindaA

I would have to say Tom Brady is already the GOAT. dude won 3 superbowls with 0 wide recievers. broke record for regular season td's.
brady has done everything manning has done + more

WRONG. However I don't know who the dummy is that said Brady doesn't make no name WR's look good. Quick, name me a HOF WR he had before Moss........Brady and Peyton are both awesome QB's and do it differently. They could both be top 5 when they are done.
Name a HOF WR that manning had? Brady always had good receivers. Terry glenn? Troy Brown? They might have been old when Brady started playing, but were still verry good receivers. Brady is a good QB, but his coaches system was really tuned to perfection. As you saw with matt cassell. Put that garbage into patriots system and he leads them to a 11-5 season, but when he went to KC he sucks.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

you have proven to know nothin about the game of football. did you even know who brown and glenn were before brady. oh ya i can name you three HOF recievers's manning had. they go by the name of marvin harrison, reggie wayne, and dallas clark. had manning had edgerrin james. and you may not know because you dont know anything about football. but having a running back like edge made the defense put extra men in the box to stop the run. brady on the other hand has never had a solid running back. kevin faulk was hihs best and he was always poopoo
troy isn't a HOF but was a solid player when Drew was QB. Terry Glenn went off his rookie year with the Pats when Drew was QB, the same yearthey made the superbowl.
And I don't know football alright but you named Dallas Clark at a HOF WR? Dude doesn't even play as a receiver, but as a tight end. Its also funnyyou mentions Edgerrin James, they won the superbowl without him. Peyton still does fine without a good running back. Joseph Addai is decent at best andteams still bite on Peyton's play action. Your excuse was they had to put an extra Tackle in the box to watch the running game when James was there, butJames is gone now, the extra tackle that teams do put in the box is not needed anymore. So explain why with extra coverage, peyton is still making passes allover the field? Maybe I don't know football as well as you, but I call it like I see it. And I never said Brady wasn't good, but manning is yearsahead of him as a QB. Please believe you put manning in Brady's place he would have gotten the pats all thsoe rings as well.

Originally Posted by krazyddp23

article for all you on bradys nuts:

Peyton Manning takes a shot at Tom Brady
by BigBlueShoe on Oct 12, 2009 1:28 PM EDT in Analysis 27 comments

More photos » by John Russell - AP
about 17 hours ago: Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning directs his teammates as he calls a play in the third quarter of an NFL football game against the Tennessee Titans in Nashville, Tenn., Sunday, Oct. 11, 2009. (AP Photo/John Russell)
Peyton and Tom are pretty good friends. Though this likely annoys the piss out of New England Patriots fans, who likely still think Peyton "got lucky" facing the then-Rex Grossman-led Bears in the Super Bowl, resulting in his "only one" Super Bowl win, both players have mutual respect and admiration for one another. They text each other after games, check up with each other during the off-season, and have worked together in the past to ensure that the QBs in this league are well taken care of.

But last night, dare I say, I do believe Peyton Manning took a shot at Tom Brady, who has noticeably been acting like a whiny +%+%$ during games when it comes to lobbying for roughing the passer calls.

Before we get into what Manning said, flash back two weeks ago. On a key drive by the Patriots offense against the Baltimore Ravens, Terrell Suggs attempted to sack Tom Brady. After Brady let his pass fly, Suggs lounged at Brady and brushed up against his knees. Before Suggs seemingly hit the ground, Brady turned to official Ron Winter and started pleading for a flag. Replays show Winters seemed swayed by Brady's pleas and tossed yellow at his feet.

15 yard penalty. Pats first down. The drive would later end with a touchdown.

Contrast this with last night. In his own endzone, late in the second quarter, Peyton Manning lets a pass fly. He is then hit immediately, below the knees, by Kyle Vanden Bosch. The official sees the hit and throws yellow. Vanden Bosch can't believe it, but that is "The Brady Rule" defined. Vanden Bosch spun out of a block, fell, and hit Manning's knee with sufficient force to knock Manning down. By rule, that's a penalty, like it or not.

The 15 yards gives Indy a fresh set of downs, which they use to march 93 yards (aided by two more roughing the passer penalties as the Titans seemed to come unglued prior to halftime) for a TD to close the half.

Now, when Manning was hit by Vanden Bosch, many noticed that he did not turn and plead with the official for a flag, in stark contrast to Brady against the Ravens. And immediately after the flag was thrown, you did not see Manning applaud or pump his fist for the call, also in stark contrast to Brady against the Patriots.

Indeed, following the game, Manning seemed to make it a point that he does not do that kind of stuff:

Manning wanted to differentiate himself from how New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady reacted in light of a similar, but softer, call in a Week 4 victory over the Baltimore Ravens.
"I've never asked for a call, I've never clapped when they've made a call," he said. "I clap when we get the yards because of execution. The first one, I've had that hit before to the knee. I don't know if I have to validate it or not, but I've got to see the doctor after this and get treatment. Obviously when you plant that left knee it's in a vulnerable position, I wear that brace for that reason alone, hopefully it protects me there."

Make no mistake about it folks, that is indeed a shot a Tom Brady. Those calls against the Ravens (which, by rule, were correct I might add) are still fresh in everyone's mind. And when we see Peyton get a call due in part to "The Brady Rule," they become even more fresh. So, when Peyton says "I've never asked for a call, I've never clapped when they've made a call... I clap when we get the yards because of execution," he's thinking about Tom Brady. Peyton never says anything unless he's thought it through.

Like Peyton, I personally like and respect Brady. I was sickened to see him go down in a heap last year and I agree that rules protecting that which we shell out good money to see (quarterbacks) are a good thing.

However, part of people's frustration with "The Brady Rule" is how players, like the rule's namesake, have been seemingly crying for calls because of it. It seems like Manning is also aware this frustration, and is trying to let people know not all QBs cry for yellow, or applaud and fist pump afterward when they get it.
you're absolutely right. the fact that brady called for a flag and peyton has never once called for a flag means manning is not only betterthan brady, but the GOAT. thank you for the value you've added to this discussion.

edit: let's not forget that manning has his own "rule" that the league gave him/the colts

At the end of their perspective career, If you're talking stats, Manning will be GOAT..If you're talkingchampionships, then that title belongs to Brady.

There are a lot of valid points in this thread but some of these comments are just plain ridiculous.

OK, you guys give credit to Bellichek's defense for Brady's 3 titles. Where the !$@# was Bellichek's defense in 2007 when Brady threw 50 TDs, thePats were crapping on the whole league and went 16-0 in the regular season? The only reason the Pats D had good numbers that year is because they were on thefield maybe 15 minutes a game. If "Bellichek's D" showed up in the Super Bowl, Brady would have 4 rings right now. He left the field with thelead and his D let Manning and Giants march down the field and win the game with little time left on the clock.

And this guy that said Manning's WRs werent that good. Uh, Marvin Harrison? A dude that put up nice #'s even before Manning got in the league. ReggieWayne? Look at Brady's WRs before he got Moss and Welker. He won 3 rings with those guys. He almost won a ring with Riccochet Caldwell as his #1option
sick.gif

At the end of the day, I'll take the guy with 3 rings and a 14-3 playoff record over the more talented guy who's gone 7-8 in the playoffs and beenerratic in big games.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

There are a lot of valid points in this thread but some of these comments are just plain ridiculous.

OK, you guys give credit to Bellichek's defense for Brady's 3 titles. Where the !$@# was Bellichek's defense in 2007 when Brady threw 50 TDs, the Pats were crapping on the whole league and went 16-0 in the regular season? The only reason the Pats D had good numbers that year is because they were on the field maybe 15 minutes a game. If "Bellichek's D" showed up in the Super Bowl, Brady would have 4 rings right now. He left the field with the lead and his D let Manning and Giants march down the field and win the game with little time left on the clock.

And this guy that said Manning's WRs werent that good. Uh, Marvin Harrison? A dude that put up nice #'s even before Manning got in the league. Reggie Wayne? Look at Brady's WRs before he got Moss and Welker. He won 3 rings with those guys. He almost won a ring with Riccochet Caldwell as his #1 option
sick.gif

At the end of the day, I'll take the guy with 3 rings and a 14-3 playoff record over the more talented guy who's gone 7-8 in the playoffs and been erratic in big games.
And Manning had a 49 TD season only a few seasons earlier. It just proves that defense wins championships. Hence why Brady lost that SB and whyManning only made it to one. But regardless Manning > Brady.

Originally Posted by Jonnny25

People were not saying this in 07 when Brady was breaking records. Easy to say this now when Brady is still recovering and Manning's team is 5-0. Wait til Brady gets back on track. Hard to believe the GOAT has one super bowl win and that was because of his defense.
Lies.

Tom Brady was putting his team on his back when his team needed big plays in crunch time in the playoffs.
Peyton Manning was throwing interceptions in these situations, except when he finally beat Brady in 07.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

And this guy that said Manning's WRs werent that good. Uh, Marvin Harrison? A dude that put up nice #'s even before Manning got in the league.
I'm not even gonna go look up the stats, but I'm guessing that Marvin Harrison was putting up MAYBE 850 yds a season before Manning?

That's nice #'s?

When Peyton got there, how many yards did he put up in their first year together?

Stop talking like Marvin was putting up 1,000 yds, 9 TD's before Peyton got there.
laugh.gif

And Manning had a 49 TD season only a few seasons earlier.
And people always seem to ignore that.

^that was off-base what he said (about Marvin), but that was Marvin's first 2 years with a HORRIBLE QB. He was on his way to putting up big statsregardless...and his stats went down the year that Peyton got there actually (b/c of rookie adjustment).

Just pointing that out cuz %*!#!% on here stay not giving dude his credit...

I agree with the statement btw. Him & Brady are already top 4-5 right now, and they'll be 1-2 in some order when they retire...

Originally Posted by EzFlash26

^that was off-base what he said (about Marvin), but that was Marvin's first 2 years with a HORRIBLE QB. He was on his way to putting up big stats regardless
No doubt. I was just saying.
...and his stats went down the year that Peyton got there actually (b/c of rookie adjustment).
I thought Marvin got hurt and missed mad games the year Peyton got there?
nerd.gif

Just pointing that out cuz %*!#!% on here stay not giving dude his credit...
Who Marvin? I haven't seen anyone disrespect him. Everybody knows, or should know, that Marvin was a hell of a WR in his day
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom