STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

A leg injury set me back a few months and I'm looking to get back on the horse, no leg lifts strictly upper body for now...any recommendations for upperbody workouts?

Last edited:
@suavament3 on week 2 of that Norton exercise.
hit a few PRs. 110 lb db flat press.
90lb shoulder press
375 squat 3reps.
I think writing it down motivates me also... seeing last week lifts feeling I could'vve done more.
pimp.gif
 those power days are awesome

@suavament3 on week 2 of that Norton exercise.
hit a few PRs. 110 lb db flat press.
90lb shoulder press
375 squat 3reps.
I think writing it down motivates me also... seeing last week lifts feeling I could'vve done more.
Absolutely does. Was doing it my past two workouts and then forogt on Monday, but I'm gonna start a big spreadsheet with all my reps and weights and see how they change on a weekly basis.. Only thing is my workouts vary a lot so I might not see a certain workout for 2-3 weeks at a time. But still, will be nice to see.

A leg injury set me back a few months and I'm looking to get back on the horse, no leg lifts strictly upper body for now...any recommendations for upperbody workouts?
Upper body consists of many areas, be more specific.

Come on Ironman you should know any mono will work fine. I think SNS gives you the most for your money. I just got some ON the other day, waiting to try it.

On another note this thread is DEAD :stoneface:

It's summer time, everyone is off the grind until January 1st, :lol:

Definitely Mono, just looking for any reqs. I'll look into SNS.

Yeah, not really understanding the chart 
roll.gif
lol ok heres how it works:

take 75% of your max, do 6 sets of 3 which equals 18 total reps. That hits the optimal number, you want to try to hit the optimal number, otherwise you are going too heavy or need to up your 1rm. 

Thats a very vague chart if you don't understand it, but its better than just working up to a random double each day like Picasso said. I would recommend taking 70% of your true max and doing 5x5 with it and add weight (5lbs) each week. Once you stall switch to 5x3. Then you can test your new max and start over.

Also make sure your eating a lot or your progress will be slow.

Last edited:
Gotcha. Makes sense, and im assuming 6 sets of 3 are the sets after your "build up" sets? Or after warm up sets?

Powerbeats 2 (wireless) are great. Tons of people at my gym wear them, I bought them with the intent of running with them, which I do, but I wear them everywhere. Bass is cool if you can fit them right (comes with different tips) and the sound is crisp and clear. Its not noise cancelling (for runner purposes, intended so you can hear a car honking at you or something like that) so if you want that then you might wanna pickup something else.

All in all, great purchase, nothing beats putting your phone down somewhere and hitting your set without it messing around in your pocket or whatever.

Gotcha. Makes sense, and im assuming 6 sets of 3 are the sets after your "build up" sets? Or after warm up sets?

Powerbeats 2 (wireless) are great. Tons of people at my gym wear them, I bought them with the intent of running with them, which I do, but I wear them everywhere. Bass is cool if you can fit them right (comes with different tips) and the sound is crisp and clear. Its not noise cancelling (for runner purposes, intended so you can hear a car honking at you or something like that) so if you want that then you might wanna pickup something else.

All in all, great purchase, nothing beats putting your phone down somewhere and hitting your set without it messing around in your pocket or whatever.
Yes, 5x5 or 5x3 is your working sets. Your warm up sets should be just that, none of them should be a struggle or anywhere near failure. I would not have a warm up that is any less than 20-25 lbs of your working weight. 

For example, if your doing 225x5x5, I would do 135x8-10, then possibly another set of it for 4-5, followed 185x2 or 3, then 205 for 1. 

Repped for the info on the Beats, I think ill pick some up off the bay.

I actually hit some PRs tonight on bench. Hit 370 for 1, then 375 for two singles, all paused.

My warmup went, barx2x25, 135x10, 135x5, 185x5, 225x3, 275x1, 315x1, 335x1.

The instructions are so vague. 

Power days call for 3 sets of 3-5 reps, but doesn't address what weight to use or how/when to increase the weight.

The article lists the aux exercises, but doesn't do the same for assistance exercises lol 
  • Day 1: Upper Body Power
  • Day 2: Lower Body Power
  • Day 3: Rest
  • Day 4: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy
  • Day 5: Lower Body Hypertrophy
  • Day 6: Chest and Arms Hypertrophy
  • Day 7: Rest
I also don't know how you could do chest and arms hypertrophy work, and with only 1 day rest have an upper body power day. I'd shift the days around. 

Overall, it looks like a great template that could be adapted a million different ways.

I'm going to mesh this with 5/3/1, but I've basically been doing something similar already lol  

I just went in to sports authority yesterday.... i think these are also at the nike outlets also

Power days call for 3 sets of 3-5 reps, but doesn't address what weight to use or how/when to increase the weight.

The article lists the aux exercises, but doesn't do the same for assistance exercises lol 
  • Day 1: Upper Body Power
  • Day 2: Lower Body Power
  • Day 3: Rest
  • Day 4: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy
  • Day 5: Lower Body Hypertrophy
  • Day 6: Chest and Arms Hypertrophy
  • Day 7: Rest
I also don't know how you could do chest and arms hypertrophy work, and with only 1 day rest have an upper body power day. I'd shift the days around. 

Overall, it looks like a great template that could be adapted a million different ways.

I'm going to mesh this with 5/3/1, but I've basically been doing something similar already lol  
You pretty much work up to your 3-5 rep max... increase weight every week or 2 (not really rigid, depends person to person and how much you're eating). Assistance work can be tweaked... I throw in Seal Rows, Trap Bar DL instead of Leg Press. etc.. don't have to follow it verbatim

Thats why I showed you a chart that has % on it lol 

That set/rep scheme would best be used with 75-85%.

Your assistance exercises should target your weak areas and be done in higher rep ranges.

Thats why I showed you a chart that has % on it lol 

That set/rep scheme would best be used with 75-85%.

Your assistance exercises should target your weak areas and be done in higher rep ranges.
I'm aware of what assistance exercises are 
laugh.gif

Just saying the article could easily be a little more detailed so everyone could understand it with ease. 

Back
Top Bottom