STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

can anyone here recommend / post videos of a good gym routine for about 3/4x a week working out for the purpose of losing weight and toning up?

I've lost about 7 lbs in the last 2.5 months and my goal is to lose another 13.

While I hate running, I usually do 1-3 miles on the treadmill at the gym before weights/machines. But I feel like I don't have a set routine to follow. So can someone recommend something that is structured and easy to follow please?

Well someone already said you should do 5x5 strong lifts or some variation of Starting Strength. You should look into those. I'll give some General advice.

Drop the words "tone up" from your vocabulary. Not that there's anything wrong with it but in my experience, people use it as an excuse to do extra high reps, low weight and not really push themselves. Yes, losing weight + burning fat is the goal but when you're lifting, you should be trying to get stronger week to week and pushing yourself to the limit.

At the very minimum, you should be doing squats, bench press and deadlifts 1-2 times a week. Some sort of shoulder press + pull-up variation is a necessity too. Once you start a routine that involves all of those things at the minimum - you'll start building muscle and burning fat like you never have before.

Lastly, what you consume is probably the most important factor when losing weight. Figure out how many calories you burn on a regular basis, track what you eat for a couple of days and adjust from there. Most common mistake is people dieting for 4 days a week - going back to their normal eating Friday, Saturday, Sunday and it essentially voids all the work done for the week.

Be consistent with eating (or control the cheat days) + do the major lifts and throw in some cardio and you'll be fine.

I can vouch for Stronglifts 5x5. It's only 3x a week and the workouts are usually quick for me depending on availability of the rack and bench.

All of my lifts went up a significant amount. I also noticed I got a little trimmer but my diet is garbage. I imagine if I actually had a diet plan it would helped me lose weight while gaining strength.

Last edited:
Hate these dudes. Half reppers.

Anybody doing Memorial "Murph" tomorrow/today?

1 mile run
100 pull-ups
200 push-ups
300 squats (air squats)
1 mile run

Last edited:

Times vary quite a bit on Murph. The mile route will of course be a big factor in determining your time. As a rough guideline though consider the following for an athlete (male or female) completing the
workout without a weight vest:
+70 Minutes Beginner
40-70 Minutes Intermediate
30-40 Minutes Advanced
30 Minutes or less Elite

http://themurphchallenge.com

Last edited:
Ive done that exact workout before except we added in leg lifts and you could choose which exercise you wanted to do for what reps. (400-100, soo either 400 push ups or 100 oush ups. )

Took me about an hour and some change. Exhausting. And it hurt the next day every where

Guys any tips to improve shoulder strength? I do standing military presses and barbell shoulder presses, but it's do hard to increase my strength in that area. Everything else goes up, but I can't increase shoulders as much as I want.

Guys any tips to improve shoulder strength? I do standing military presses and barbell shoulder presses, but it's do hard to increase my strength in that area. Everything else goes up, but I can't increase shoulders as much as I want.

Try Arnold Db press , well just keep working on it it'll go up . Was struggling with 25s now I can throw 45s up while doing standing military press .

Back
Top Bottom